John Williams Reimagined Album (Arranged for flute, cello & piano)

JNHFan2000

Lovely - could be a really good, interesting release.

In the excerpt posted, Pedroni does a bang-up job of what is a very challenging piano part, and the cello and flute are incorporated imaginatively and sensitively. Shame the flute starts dragging the tempo, especially around 1:00!

Kinda intriguing. Glad they snuck in some offbeat titles among the superfamous evergreens.

But the blurb leaves out the most important information -- who did the arrangements? Pedroni for all of them (he's listed with transcription in the actual YouTube clip itself)?

Very interesting selections but I'm worried that an ensemble this small could be too bare and not varied enough for 2 whole discs.

The album looks nice, but these kinds of albums

always remind me that nothing can ever top the original versions. A score and cue like E.T. and Over the Moon begs for the grand orchestration.

40 minutes ago, Thor said:

But the blurb leaves out the most important information -- who did the arrangements? Pedroni for all of them (he's listed with transcription in the actual YouTube clip itself)?

I think Pedroni arranged the earlier JW album, not sure about the Morricone.  

1 minute ago, JTN said:

A score and cue like E.T. and Over the Moon begs for the grand orchestration.

Not the best example, that's the album arrangement of the "Suburbia" theme spun off from the opening of the End Credits that's already very focused on the piano.

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Not the best example, that's the album arrangement of the "Suburbia" theme spun off from the opening of the End Credits that's already very focused on the piano.

Yeah maybe, but this is the excerpt I could compare the original version to. And the piano is accompanied by strings, and later trumpets, etc. Yes, the piano is in the front the entire cue, but the original orchestration makes it sound much grander and more majestic than this one rearranged for three instruments.

50 minutes ago, Thor said:

Some more information on that in the original thread.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Some more information on that in the original thread.

Thanks. That thread passed me by.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Not to nitpick, but the notion of "Reimagined" irks me. 

Well, maybe the term "rearranged" would have been better, but basically JW did the same thing for the Across the Stars album. He reimagined his own themes for solo instrument and orchestra. This album pretty much does the same, but for three solo instruments. Not exactly my cup of tea, either, but I (re)imagine others will like it a lot.

17 minutes ago, JTN said:

This album pretty much does the same, but for three solo instruments.

We don't know that though, do we? Reimagined could just mean arranged for a different ensemble, which I guess it does.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

We don't know that though, do we? Reimagined could just mean arranged for a different ensemble, which I guess it does.

Yes, that's what I meant by saying that JW did the same thing with the ATS album when he rearranged his themes for solo violin and orchestra. 

1 minute ago, JTN said:

Yes, that's what I meant by saying that JW did the same thing with the ATS album when he rearranged his themes for solo violin and orchestra. 

I think JW went further that just arranging for a different ensemble.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Not to nitpick, but the notion of "Reimagined" irks me. 

Indeed, I find this awkward. When I see an album titled "Bach Reimagined," it often suggests that they will freely adapt Bach's music, adding notes, changing the style... and ultimately, it's no longer truly Bach. It becomes a sort of pop or jazz version of Bach, aimed at people who typically aren't familiar with or fond of Bach's music. However, in the case of John Williams and this album, I believe we can simply refer to it as "new arrangements."

Unfortunately, everything in the music industry revolves around marketing. Let's consider the brilliant way in which the latest album by James Newton Howard featuring his music for Shyamalan's films was marketed (Night After Night [Music from the Movies of M. Night Shyamalan], 2023).

Here, both the cover and the title are marketing disasters.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I think JW went further that just arranging for a different ensemble.

You’re right. He rearranged his themes, but also rewrote them. 

6 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Disc 1:
13. The Sugarland Express: Elegy

Robert Townsend's Facebook post has that as the Elegy for Cello and Piano - the piano version of Elegy for Cello and Orchestra 

And wow, that track list has me so excited!

4 minutes ago, pete said:

Robert Townsend's

You mean Robert Townson?

12 hours ago, JTN said:

Well, maybe the term "rearranged" would have been better, but basically JW did the same thing for the Across the Stars album. He reimagined his own themes for solo instrument and orchestra. This album pretty much does the same, but for three solo instruments. Not exactly my cup of tea, either, but I (re)imagine others will like it a lot.

Agreed- the re-imagined title I find very annoying, but in any context. Unless the arrangements are very different, like those big band arrangements and Maynard Ferguson, then its really just a modified transcription. Williams clearly re-imagined a lot of those original pieces though for violin, especially the new version of Scherzo for Motorcycle, Hedwig, and the Elegy for Cello.

These types of arrangements though seem best to me for live performance. I would love a night or an afternoon out listening to this. But as an album idk if I would buy it over just an occasional listen on youtube.

But at least these arrangements are tastefully done. I went to one of these of just HP music last year and the arrangements were hideous.

I often wonder how JW feels about this. I know he doesn't allow any arrangements, or at least so far, to be published as a buyable score (plus I assume whatever other nonsense happens with the studios). I like to play some of his concert works on the pipa, and I wonder if he would be intrigued or horrified.

Incidentally as I continue this novella, has anyone here heard the Beethoven Symphony trios with Emmanual Ax, Yo Yo, and Leonidas Kavakos? They're incredibly well done, but of course brought to life by the most amazing musicians.

When I think "re-imagine", I think of something like "The Beatles Reimagined for trumpet, accordian, and two ballet dancers" 
For this album, I think the pieces are more faithful arrangements for piano, cello, and flute. But John Williams: Faithful Arrangements doesn't sound as catchy as John Williams: Reimagined. I quite like the title even though "re-imagined" in my mind evokes some avant-garde monstrosity.

As I mentioned above, my jaw dropped when I saw the setlist. For example, I've always longed for music from AI featuring cello after that brief quote on the OST in Stored Memories & Monica's Theme, and I think this could be the arrangenent I've been dreaming about. And I've always loved those more melodic pieces from The River (Growing Up, The Pony Ride, & Young Friends Farewell), so I'm really curious and excited to hear them for these instruments. 

YES! This is what I wished for when I broke the window on 320 Sycamore! It’s like Night After Night for Williams. 

And can it be that this will finally be my access route to a gorgeous cohesive performance of the tonal melody from Images? Nah, with my luck, they’ll use the cello to simulate those drunken werewolf grunts from the OST…

15 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I like to play some of his concert works on the pipa,

On the what?

On 23/03/2024 at 2:16 AM, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Incidentally as I continue this novella, has anyone here heard the Beethoven Symphony trios with Emmanual Ax, Yo Yo, and Leonidas Kavakos? They're incredibly well done, but of course brought to life by the most amazing musicians.

I love chamber arrangements of Beethoven's symphonies, assuming, of course, that the arrangement is good. 

16 hours ago, Tom said:

Ah yes, the age old question.  Would you rather ride a pony, search for unicorns, or seduce Suki?  

That was never a question for me. I would seduce Suki while riding a pony searching for unicorns.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I love chamber arrangements of Beethoven's symphonies, assuming, of course, that the arrangement is good. 

Love this recording

25 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Love this recording

Oh yes, bring out those lines. Can't remember if this is a new arrangement or one from Beethoven's time. I'm a bit of a collector of the latter.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh yes, bring out those lines. Can't remember if this is a new arrangement or one from Beethoven's time. I'm a bit of a collector of the latter.

This one is new, I believe its their recording of the 4th symphony that Beethoven did himself

• 3 weeks later...