The Force Awakens begins recording at Sony in LA today

thx99

Now I just hope the score is fully recorded at the end of the summer and nobody has else has to compose extra cues

Obviously Williams age is really becoming a factor

I don't think this is anything to worry about. John Williams is obviously there to oversee the recording if not on the podium himself and that job is in the very capable hands of William Ross. As croc said above it happened on Jurassic Park and I have never thought it to be a lesser performance because of that.

Let me kick off the conspiracy theories with a sane and plausible one.

His back is still acting up, and Ross is simply starting things off, until John feels good about taking up the baton again.

This is a good theory to get behind, I think. Note that it says "the majority of" not "all" conducting. And remember that these sessions are going to last for months....

Thats what i postulated a few days ago. His back hasn't fully healed yet so Ross was flown in.

I wonder how angry Conrad Pope is?

Well, Williams didn't conduct some of Jurassic Park and it didn't really impact the quality any. So...

TGP's theory seems to be the most reasonable.

Karol

No one knows or is able to hear what parts of JP were conducted by Williams and what by Artie Kane.

With JW supervising the recording session, and the tempo of the music largely dictated by the film itself there is no way a different conductor will make a huge difference

It is.

But Johnny can always give instructions in his soft courteous tone from the control booth to Bill Ross if he needs adjustments made. ;)

It's probably the best sounding modern JW score.

Ofcourse much of the music was composed and adapted by Ross.

It is.

But Johnny can always give instructions in his soft courteous tone from the control booth to Bill Ross if he needs adjustments made. ;)

"FORTISSIMO! FORTISSIMO! YOU FUCKING TWAT!"

It is.

:lol: I can already imagine that intoned in the ever soft and polite JW way.

I prefer the other two Potter scores' recordings. Though all three represent some of the best recording quality for any John Williams score.

I wonder how Ross will be credited.

Will he get a "conducted" by mention like for CoS, or a "thanks to" like Artie Kane got for JP.

Would depend on how much Ross will conduct i guess.

I prefer the other two Potter scores' recordings. Though all three represent some of the best recording quality for any John Williams score.
I also prefer the other two in terms of actual music. But CoS does sound fantastic.

I wonder how Ross will be credited.

Will he get a "conducted" by mention like for CoS, or a "thanks to" like Artie Kane got for JP.

Would depend on how much Ross will conduct i guess.

Unless he writes a significant portion of the music, I doubt we'll see his name on the cover or anything.

Incorrect.

The current day doctorine states that Ross wrote next to no music for CoS, yet he still recieved a very generous credit

JW is generous and merciful.

Or Ross has a really good agent.

No pure benevolence of the Maestro.

It's disappointing, this, but end of the day Williams is really very old now. It's quite wrong for any fans of Star Wars music and Williams to have genuine complaint over this latest development.

To me it's amazing and pretty damn wonderful that a man the same age as my grandad is still hard at work gifting cinema goers and music fans alike with what is bound to be a pretty spectacular soundtrack. How the music ultimately makes it to release isn't that important.

Brings a tear to me eye!

A lot of composers these days don't conduct their own stuff (Doyle, Zimmer, Giacchino etc) so I don't think it's too much of a problem. Any soundtrack that JW releases nowadays is simply a bonus. I can't see him doing any other stuff after "The BFG" tbh. The whole process must be exhausting for a man of his age. Although, I look at Ennio Morricone and that gives me some hope!

It is.

:lol: I can already imagine that intoned in the ever soft and polite JW way.

Is it fortissimo?

AV-37-1228768613.jpg

The comparisons with COS are a bit odd. Williams was not there during those sessions. In this case, he is sitting right there listening and giving feedback.

Do we know this for sure?

Tom, you may believe this is a non-issue, but it's understandably alarming for many. I mean, no offense but where the hell do you think you're posting? It's just been kinda sad. As it turns out, the road to the Episode VII score has been a very rough one indeed. Williams cancelled all concerts, Thomas Newman is scoring the next Spielberg film (that one still isn't even registering in my brain), Hollywood instead of London Symphony Orchestra for Star Wars, the score for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, now Williams not even conducting...even the most cynical JWFan poster has secretly shed a tear. I've tried to stay positive. I mean, we'll be getting a John Williams Star Wars score regardless. Hey, maybe this is just shitty series of circumstances: the back issue, the scoring schedule for Star Wars, the abysmal quality of Crystal Skull the film...

Tom, you may believe this is a non-issue, but it's understandably alarming for many. I mean, no offense but where the hell do you think you're posting? It's just been kinda sad. As it turns out, the road to the Episode VII score has been a very rough one indeed. Williams cancelled all concerts, Thomas Newman is scoring the next Spielberg film (that one still isn't even registering in my brain), Hollywood instead of London Symphony Orchestra for Star Wars, the score for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, now Williams not even conducting...even the most cynical JWFan poster has secretly shed a tear.

I hope this experience doesn't turn Williams away from doing the following episodes. This seems to have taken quite a toll on him. His health should definitely come first regardless.

I'm not alarmed at all. Williams wrote 100% of the music, undeniably. He's there at 100% of the recording sessions, doing everything he normally would do, in terms of working with the players to tweak something to get the exact performance he wants. The tempo is dictated by the film, the music has to sync to picture exactly. Who is waving the baton for the action cues is irrelevant. Let the man's back heal so he can show up in Tanglewood in August!

A lot of composers these days don't conduct their own stuff (Doyle, Zimmer, Giacchino etc) so I don't think it's too much of a problem. Any soundtrack that JW releases nowadays is simply a bonus. I can't see him doing any other stuff after "The BFG" tbh. The whole process must be exhausting for a man of his age. Although, I look at Ennio Morricone and that gives me some hope!

I think he'll always compose music and that he may well have a few more film scores left in him, especially if they're dramas. But this might be his last year of conducting or close to it, and I'm not convinced at all now that he'll be ready to do it all over again for Episode VIII.

Then again, for all we know this current issue is temporary and soon enough he'll be up and running again for a few more good years. Either way I'll be savoring every last note of this new one. :)

Tom, you may believe this is a non-issue, but it's understandably alarming for many. I mean, no offense but where the hell do you think you're posting? It's just been kinda sad. As it turns out, the road to the Episode VII score has been a very rough one indeed. Williams cancelled all concerts, Thomas Newman is scoring the next Spielberg film (that one still isn't even registering in my brain), Hollywood instead of London Symphony Orchestra for Star Wars, the score for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, now Williams not even conducting...even the most cynical JWFan poster has secretly shed a tear. I've tried to stay positive. I mean, we'll be getting a John Williams Star Wars score regardless. Hey, maybe this is just shitty series of circumstances: the back issue, the scoring schedule for Star Wars, the abysmal quality of Crystal Skull the film...

Of course it is sad. However, expressions of sadness are not what I have been picking up on this topic. People have been acting as if they are not getting a "true Williams score" if he is not conducting, and that is ridiculous.

I think we need a crisis help station on this MB for emotionally devastated JW fans who can't bear the pain of these news. A kind of emotional bandage station where we serve Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark and original Star Wars as an antidote to the depression and panic they endure with every piece of news on the project.

Or we could act like adults and accept realities of the situation and keeping waiting for the soundtrack album that will hit the stores sometime in November/December.

Before the internet age I doubt these little pieces of news would have reached us the fan community this fast. It would have taken years before someone would have brought us news on JW not being able to conduct at the sessions or that he had back trouble to begin with.

Keep also in mind that the scoring sessions are being done in chunks over a period of three-four months, so it's likely JW will surely conduct himself the next batches, if his health permits.

Keep also in mind that the scoring sessions are being done in chunks over a period of three-four months, so it's likely JW will surely conduct himself the next batches, if his health permits.

Exactly!

I also got the idea from various articles that he conducted the Episode VII trailer scoring sessions but that was much earlier so his back troubles have manifested since.

Hmmm..:William ROSS?!?!

man...Williams is getting old :'(

Oh we have a probable contender for continuing the series or score some spinoff films...

Well, Williams didn't conduct some of Jurassic Park and it didn't really impact the quality any. So...

TGP's theory seems to be the most reasonable.

Karol

No one knows or is able to hear what parts of JP were conducted by Williams and what by Artie Kane.

I can tell you the main theme was not conducted by williams.... Kane played it too slowly...Williams always plays it faster doesnt he?