What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

On 10/21/2019 at 11:43 AM, Quintus said:

Prisoners. I'd heard very strong word of mouth about this movie, so I expected something very good.

I loved it. But one of my favourite things about it is how much gorgeous cinematography Deakins can get out of a film that you wouldn't necessarily expect to stand out in that way at all.

33 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I loved it. But one of my favourite things about it is how much gorgeous cinematography Deakins can get out of a film that you wouldn't necessarily expect to stand out in that way at all.

The droll and dreary locale was very well captured yes, mediocre weather rarely looks so evocative.

I faintly remember it was good but one of those movies i just wanted to stop at some point. Not because of its questionable ethics (Hacksaw Ridge!) but because it made me fell queasy.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

I faintly remember it was good but one of those movies i just wanted to stop at some point. Not because of its questionable ethics (Hacksaw Ridge!) but because it made me fell queasy.

I have bigger problems with it which I need to set a little time and effort aside for to type up and elaborate on here. But I thought the whole thing almost completely fell apart during the disappointing climax. Everything before it was nigh on perfect, for this kind of film.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

IMG_20191019_102857.jpg

The high voltage power lines give it a quiet poignancy...

Just now, Quintus said:

I have bigger problems with it which I need to set a little time and effort aside for to type up and elaborate on here. But I thought the whole thing almost completely fell apart during the disappointing climax. Everything before it was nigh on perfect, for this kind of film.

I have to confess i remember nothing about it.

34 minutes ago, publicist said:

But the questionable ethics are the characters', not the film's.

24 minutes ago, Romão said:

I was stunned by the cinematography in this sequence:

Prisoners_697.jpg

"The requested page has not been found."

29 minutes ago, publicist said:

In 'Hacksaw'? I'd say it's very much the other way around..:ph34r:

No, in Prisoners. I haven't seen Hacksaw. But I see now that I misunderstood your post.

King Kong (1976)

One of my favorite tapes since I was a kid. By far the best version of King Kong for me.

Star Trek: First Contact

One of the best Star Treks. I know RLM really popularized the hate for this one (Back in the day, I recall sci-fi publications being unkind to this one as well), but it's a slick entertaining Trekkian zombie thriller flick. If Generations was too much like the TV show, First Contact made up for that by giving us a Die Hardian movie with excellent effects and lots of action and suspense, plus a very satisfying conclusion showing the origins of Star Trek that should raise the hairs of any Trekkie.

Silence of the Lambs

I've actually never seen this one before. Its reputation preceded it. It kept me up until 2:30 in the morning just to see how it would all play out. I was not disappointed. Hopkins was, of course, excellent, but I also dug Jodie Foster sounding like Holly Hunter. I don't think I've ever seen Jodie in a particularly good role before this one. Career-defining!

One my favorite fan criticisms/theories is that because the Borg couldn't adapt to bullets like energy weapons, they should have just replicated a bunch of tommyguns for the Enterprise crewmen to defeat them like Picard did.

Shadows and Fog (1991)

Good movie, seen it several times.  Beautiful cinematography, nice dark comedy tone, great music.

Watching The Purple Rose of Cairo next, such a great movie.  Woody’s stint with Orion Pictures (early to mid 80s through early to mid 90s) is a happy place for me.

On 10/23/2019 at 2:33 AM, Thekthithm said:

I dunno, it's fun picking a movie apart. Especially in a parody serial killer persona. When did everyone else get so precious about these things?

I enjoy those reviews and the movies.

36 minutes ago, KK said:

Screen-Shot-2019-10-24-at-2-29-40-PM.png

The Age of Innocence

"The real thing was never said or done or even thought, but only represented by a set of arbitrary signs." I think that line just about sums up Scorsese's own venture into Merchant-Ivory domain. On the veneer, a lavishly produced period drama, but underneath, as insidious and sensuous as anything Scorsese's done. The film oozes the ache and longing as Day-Lewis strokes his London books with his face, or when he slowly removes Pfeiffer's glove in the carriage, all under tempered Edwardian manners. For a man fascinated by unspoken traditions and families carrying lineage, this portrait of upper society New York fits very aptly in his canon. Often under-looked, this is the Scorsese that appreciates the nuance of the human condition. A Scorsese we would only really see again in Silence after this.

The Age of Innocence is his greatest accomplishment if you ask me.  Every single aspect of this movie is pulled off with seeming effortlessness.  It's amazing.  I read the novel before I saw the film, and let me tell you it is mind-boggling how perfect an adaptation it is.  It manages to both evoke the intangible atmosphere and impression you get from reading the novel and *also* bring in tons of Wharton's actual prose in a way that I've never really seen before or since.  It's like Scorsese the visualist and Wharton the writer equally collaborating to bring the story to life.  The movie is just a feast, man.  I love the insert shots of gloves and plate settings and other meticulously prepared signs of wealth; and the super-imposed letters over people's faces as they read them.  There are so many fascinating visual tricks he uses to immerse you in this suffocating high society world.  And of course the score is one of Elmer Bernstein's greatest.

I highly recommend the novel and Edith Wharton generally, she was a great writer.

C6Vgp1B.png

On 10/22/2019 at 8:13 PM, publicist said:

But you're not implying that the film depicts its subject questionable, or do you?

Starsky and Hutch

This was kinda okay. They did the faux 70s setting pretty well, although I think The Nice Guys was a better movie.

As Good As It Gets

I'm not terribly sure what this was all about other than James L Brooks having a wank to himself. I liked the dog though and Helen Hunt was gorgeous.

Crisis (1946)

The first film directed by Ingmar Bergman.  A little melodrama about a naive young woman who goes to the city, the old foster mother she lives behind, and how she learns there’s no substitute for the comforts of traditional values, for home and hearth.  So a silly little story mostly, but there are hints of the Bergman to come.  Little scenes of genuine contemplation, existential anxiety, of pondering the meaning of life and family and relationships. I’m glad I watched it.

The Shape of Water (2017)

Guillermo Del Toro's Cold War period fantasy is an obscure but charming "fairy tale" who's strengths mostly lie in the harmonious relationship between sound and sight; Desplat's score and the phenomenal set and production design. The Escape is one of my favourite cues of it's year. Wasn't a big fan of the song and dance number, as in I didn't feel that it was the right move, even though You'll Never Know is a fine song. Really liked Michael Stuhlbarg and Michael Shannon here. 4 / 5

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

So very charming! Maintains it's balance in the thick of a fun, zany plot, without missing a beat in terms of staging, framing and blocking. Such a great-looking movie- there's clear thought and sure intent behind every shot, every moment. Crazy to see such a cast (Ralph Fiennes, Willem Dafoe, Mathieu Amalric, Bill Murray, Jude Law, Owen Wilson, Saoirse Ronan, Tilda Swinton, and Jeff Goldblum, just to name a few), many of whose roles are reduced to glorified cameos. Among them though was Tony Revolori, who I think was splendid considering his then 18 years of age. Desplat's score needeth no explanation. If there's one complaint, I found it to be a little too crude at times, but what can you do, right? 4.5 / 5

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The Shape of Water (2017)

Guillermo Del Toro's Cold War period fantasy is an obscure but charming "fairy tale" who's strengths mostly lie in the harmonious relationship between sound and sight; Desplat's score and the phenomenal set and production design. The Escape is one of my favourite cues of it's year. Wasn't a big fan of the song and dance number, as in I didn't feel that it was the right move, even though You'll Never Know is a fine song. Really liked Michael Stuhlbarg and Michael Shannon here. 4 / 5

This one to me felt like very much like Hellboy 2: The Golden Army. A series of scenes stitched together without naturally moving from one moment to the next. I'm sure there's a cinematic term for it, but whatever it is, it's something I think Del Toro needs to work on. 

Frantic - was it Polanski's little joke to go with that title for what is actually a moderately-paced mystery thriller? Harrison Ford is good as ever as the 'fish out of water' surgeon in Paris for a conference whose wife inexplicably goes missing from their hotel shortly after arrival, and he sets about trying to find her. 

Not bad. I couldn't help feeling a little underwhelmed though.

5 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

All I remember from that entry in the sex fiend's filmography was Harrison Ford's receding hairline that mysteriously filled in afterwards.

He's just got VERY GOOD genes!

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Frantic - was it Polanski's little joke to go with that title for what is actually a moderately-paced mystery thriller? Harrison Ford is good as ever as the 'fish out of water' surgeon in Paris for a conference whose wife inexplicably goes missing from their hotel shortly after arrival, and he sets about trying to find her. 

Not bad. I couldn't help feeling a little underwhelmed though.

Bitter Moon -> Frantic