Favorite Harry Potter score?

Kasey Kockroach

What's the best Harry Potter score?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Best Harry Potter score?

• Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone
    • Chamber of Secrets
    • Prisoner of Azkaban

I've been delving into these lately (I've of course always been familiar with the main theme, but haven't heard what the scores offer beyond that until recently), and am curious as to which of the three is the particular favorite here. 

I would do a "Best movie" poll alongside this, but aside from vague memories of seeing the first two as a kid (not by choice), I don't have much to say except the basilisk fight in the second one's pretty cool. 

From what I've heard, I'd say Chamber of Secrets has offered the most highlights so far. 

I guess it's my favorite, as it's the one that I listen the most often: The philo.. ehh sorcer... stone.

Maybe because it remembers me how I was amazed in the cinema when I first saw the movie.

I guess when they will expand the three scores, I will discover the other two a little bit more.

I'm not really a fan of those "post-LP" CD programs that JW makes... like if he was still recording LPs...

Sorcerer's Stone by a slim margin over Prisoner of Azkaban.  My single favorite theme from the series is Fawkes' Theme from Chamber of Secrets, but that score is definitely the weakest of the three overall.

I've seen many people single out "Fawkes' Theme" over the past 18 months or so I've been on the forum and I just had no idea it was so loved.  It's never been a particular favorite of mine.

Listened to Prisoner of Azkaban this morning.

Okay, yeeah, I can see why this is the favorite so far (as much as I really like Fawkes' theme and the basilisk music), even this album feels a bit more 'bitty'. 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I've seen many people single out "Fawkes' Theme" over the past 18 months or so I've been on the forum and I just had no idea it was so loved.  It's never been a particular favorite of mine.

It's one of those Williams themes that starts out really lovely and then trails off sort of awkwardly.  

I don't know what JW was on when he wrote POA. The themes, the orchestrations and the general sound quality are outstanding.

10 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It's one of those Williams themes that starts out really lovely and then trails off sort of awkwardly.  

Yeah I've seen that criticism about "Fawkes" a few times on here. I sort of understand it intellectually but "awkward" is definitely not how I experience the piece.

51 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

What's that one? Whistle it for me. 

Goes like this: teewoodeewoop teewoodeewoop teewoodeewoop teewoodeewoop, teewoodeewoop teewoodeewoop teewoodeewoop teewoodeewoop, teewoodeewoop teewoodeewoop teewoodeewoop teewoodeewoop, teewoodeewoop teewoodeewoop teewoodeewoop teewoodeewoop... Tutu tu-tu-tuuuuuuuuu-tu... Tutu tu-tuuuuuuuuuuu... Tu-tu tu-tuuuuuuuuuuuuu-tu tutu tu-tuuuuuuuuuuu...

Alternatively:

All the original music in COS is just as strong as his writing for PS. The Flying Car, Basilisk and Spiders escape music is all classic, complex, multi-layered Williams writing. The new themes are excellent, from Fawkes to the Chamber theme.

When listening to the complete score, it becomes really obvious what parts Williams wrote and what parts Ross adapted from other scores (AOTC and PS being the obvious inspiration). I usually skip the cues that are carbon copies of PS music.

Part of the reason POA feels like a revelation is because it's an entirely fresh score and it had Williams' undivided attention.

I'm on record many times on this forum with my opinion that Goblet of Fire is underrated and the 2nd best Potter film.

But yeah, I want a complete Prisoner of Azkaban release so badly it aches.

Goblet of Fire used to be among my least favorite of the films, and I was really disappointed by the score at the time (post-Williams'-Azkaban-score, of course).

Now I really love the score, and I came around in a big way to the movie on a series rewatch a few years ago.  Better than the Columbus movies and Order of the Phoenix, at least.  Part of the problem with the movie is the source material - I don't particularly care about the Triwizard stuff, but I think the director and cast did a great job in making me care.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm on record many times on this forum with my opinion that Goblet of Fire is underrated and the 2nd best Potter film.

But yeah, I want a complete Prisoner of Azkaban release so badly it aches.

Goblet of Fire captured the boarding school element the best I think. It has some really great scenes in it and the graveyard is as good as anything in the series IMO. 

I keep changing my mind on the order order but I could definitely put it 3rd or 4th. 

PoA and DH part 1 are my favourites (I think I'm the only one who likes DH 1) followed by Goblet and PS. 

Half-Blood Prince gets better every time I see it. 

DH part 2.

CoS

OotP

Score wise it's probably

For me, easily the first. You can tell Williams was having just a great time writing it. He never lingers too long on any one idea when he doesn't need to and fills even incidental scenes with great melody and atmosphere. Some people say it's 'overscored' and the mood of some scenes are exaggerated by the bursting underscore, but I love it.

The third is a fun score too, though it's evident that Cuaron reined Williams in a bit. Nevertheless he did a great job at devising off-beat ways to underscore the weirder scenes (the Knight Bus, Trelawney's prophecy, etc.)

As for the other scores, the only one that left me with lasting impression was DH Pt. II. That somber courtyard battle tune was very well-used.

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

This are the masterpieces of the HP franchise! No, you're not alone!

The funny thing is that IMO "Deadly Hallows Part I" is the best (very deep, very atmospheric, created with much care), whereas "Deadly Hallows Part II" is by far the worst of the movies (it becomes more and more obvious how sloppy it was created and that it is not much more than a plain Hollywood flick).

Mall the character moments are in 1 it's just pay off in 2.

2 still has problems but it works much better when watched immediately after 1. Basically one long DH film. 

It's such a shame he will continue to be the only director making HP/Fantastic Beasts films.  For pete's sake, he's had control of the franchise for 11 or 12 years.

On 2017-6-2 at 11:02 PM, kaseykockroach said:

From what I've heard, I'd say Chamber of Secrets has offered the most highlights so far. 

Its highs are high indeed. Sadly, it's pulled down by the lows of rehashes and straight-up rerecordings from the first score.

Either way, it's Azkaban all the way for me.

2 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Its highs are high indeed. Sadly, it's pulled down by the lows of rehashes and straight-up rerecordings from the first score.

Either way, it's Azkaban all the way for me.

Agreed, but since I don't own the first score, I don't mind. It's like I get the highlights of the first one, AND some extras! :P

The first score, Philosopher's Stone, is still the best overall.  While I love the new themes on COS (Fawkes, Dobby, etc), and set pieces on Azkaban like Buckbeak, Womping Willow, etc.  Azkaban is a masterful score, and even though I adore it, there's something about the flow of the first score and it being our introduction to the Potter musical universe that has always been perfect.