Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

It is just Raiders March over and over again with a bit of Willy's Theme chucked in.

I used to think it was created editorially.

no,and it's THAT version of Willie's theme I want,it's not the same as the End Credits one

iIalso want the music when Indy climbs back from the broken bridge.

No the TOD End Credits is by far the best of the 4.

But I have always thought that The Raiders arch as it is known in it's End Credits and Concert Suite form is a bit too simple and too repetative, the same lines over and over again in the same basic arrangement.

Star wars, Superman etc...have far more invention and variation.

I love it, obviously. But maybe I've overlistened to it.

Are we talking about that sweet, sweet end credits piece that features the Raiders March and Short Round's Theme in counterpoint?

Because that's not something I'd call boring at all. <_<

Thing is though, I'm already quite happy with my re-recording of it. I forget the orchestra, but it's a perfectly good performance.

I would normally agree with Stefancos,but in this case it would make my definitive version of the Raiders March .Add what Henry buck and Mr.Breathmask said

You can get a clean statement of the Indy/Shortround interpolation with a DVD rip ,so it's a small consolation

Are we talking about that sweet, sweet end credits piece that features the Raiders March and Short Round's Theme in counterpoint?

Thing is though, I'm already quite happy with my re-recording of it. I forget the orchestra, but it's a perfectly good performance.

Older Prague recordings are not good performances.

No Prague recordings are good performances. I can only assume that I am referring to a dvd rip, mistaking it for a re-recording. I'm not certain though.

The Prague re-recording is good for the rest of the track ,but not for THAT 20 seconds segment where Indy's theme is interpolated with Short Round's . They just don't get the mix right .Williams himself probably couldn't re-record it properly

Yeah, the chimes of Short Round's theme are muted somewhat. But I personally wouldn't fork out the cash for the ToD disc, if that was the only addition. Not that it is, but I was just saying.

No the TOD End Credits is by far the best of the 4.

Indeed. It's really one of the best end credits pieces that Williams has ever done.

regarding the raider's march:

everytime I listen to music and wen I am in different phases of musical tastes. (Sometimes I am a Chopin fanatic, sometimes Metallica, , Tschaikowsky)

it is always the "Raider's March" (The short version)that pulls me back to John Williams. (atleast his filmworks)

It is such a genius piece! so little rhythmic variation, very simple note sequence, but it just blasts every Adventure-film-main-theme away. It always stuns me!

No Prague recordings are good performances. I can only assume that I am referring to a dvd rip, mistaking it for a re-recording. I'm not certain though.

A good recording of the TOD End Credits film version is found on the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra album Movie Legends: The Music of John Williams. It's not the full complete film version (it starts with the Raiders March/Short Round's Theme counterpoint), but it's the closest thing I've heard so far.

However, I believe Prague musicians now deserve a lot more respect. They have improved hugely. Have you heard their El Cid re-recording?

Thank the maker!!!!! Those track lists are like a drink of water after a long drought! (a classic Spielberg quote that most members will remember spoken during a certain occasion i'm sure!)

Re Raiders March - I always liked to think Williams was inspired by the following words which match the theme perfectly = "Indiana..... Dr. Jones"

<_<

My favorite moment is when, right before the credits roll, the music unexpectedly modulates from Db to D, then brings us into C for the beginning of the credits.

Yes, that's a favorite of mine too. Also, in the TOD Finale, I always found the Raiders March to become strangely moving when underscoring the moment when the kids return to their families. Damn those sentimental manipulators of Spielberg & Williams! <_<

Yes the RPO is a good rendition and the Prague Orchestra has indeed improved greatly - thanks in no small measure to James Fitzpatrick's close involvement in recent years.

Ya I could not agree more. TOD is clearly among the most underrated film scores. I want the same drugs JW was on when he wrote this. I can't think of another example where you've had a counterpoint that worked this well. And NEVER in a film score, at least not that distinctly. Could be wrong there, though.

And the harmony on the Raiders march comes out right off the bat, sounding very...mmmm....appropriate for being somewhere in India or wherever they are.

As far as I'm aware, Williams recorded ONE cue called "Sanskrit Sacrifice," and it's on the album as "The Temple of Doom." There's an extension to this cue in the film for the first sacrifice scene -- the music winds down and fades away. For the second scene, with Willie, most or all (I honestly forget which) of the chanting material was tracked and re-edited from this earlier scene. My expectation is that the album will include only the original orchestral bits.

Thanks for the clarification John. It's more or less what I imagined too (but you said it a lot better than me <_<)

A good recording of the TOD End Credits film version is found on the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra album Movie Legends: The Music of John Williams. It's not the full complete film version (it starts with the Raiders March/Short Round's Theme counterpoint), but it's the closest thing I've heard so far.

However, I believe Prague musicians now deserve a lot more respect. They have improved hugely. Have you heard their El Cid re-recording?

Unfortunately that CD has proven impossible to get from any US merchant and the exchange rate is too awful to order direct (not to mention you can'te ven order on their website...at least you couldn't before.)

I really wish the interview part on Disc 5 is in MP3 format... Those 78 minutes are valuable and for the same quality (since it's just people talking), you could jam probably 5 times as much interview for the same disc space. Not only that, but you'd GAIN space for 16/44 unreleased cues!

So we're all happy then? Good, good! (said Tom Baker style...James and Greg will get it... <_< )

This news actually drug me away from watching the VP debate last night. I was thinking about it off and on all day at work. I'm jazzed for this.

Is a Blu ray rip of rear channels even possible?

I don't think so. Unless someone has a blu-ray drive in their computer.

I do. I could definitely do it <_<

I'm not sure about ripping a Blu-ray itself, but ripping a Blu-ray rip is a piece of cake :lol: I'll try it tomorrow.

I had a look at the rip a few days ago, and disappointly the music is mixed very low, and there are tons of sfx during the Jungle Chase, although I have yet to separate the channels to see what's actually in the side. Thing is though, while I'd love a complete version of it, I don't want it enough to put up with it being covered in effects.

Hopefully "Short Round Helps" is everything from Shorty going up the buckets to Indy swinging into the mine cart. From the looks of the TOD disk, no "Fortune And Glory" (or whatever that cue is when Indy and Shorty talk).

I cannot wait to a.)receive this, and then b.) destroy with great zeal both my bootleg ToD and LC once and for all. Might even do some ritual, like burning them.

Because that's not something I'd call boring at all. :|

Indeed!

No Prague recordings are good performances.

El Cid is excellent.

I cannot wait to a.)receive this, and then b.) destroy with great zeal both my bootleg ToD and LC once and for all. Might even do some ritual, like burning them.

Kahlimaaaaaa!

they might still be needed...I hope not

Hopefully "Short Round Helps" is everything from Shorty going up the buckets to Indy swinging into the mine cart.).

now that I think about it ,it's one continuous cue that never stops and leads naturally into Mine Car Chase ,so it basically CAN'T be incomplete because there's no way to cut it off in the middle

Well, the ToD boot is a definite delete .Maybe the DVD rip of End Credits will still be needed.

Last Crusade boot is the complete score,so we'll see.

I highly doubt that these legally ambiguous "bootlegs" ( which I never listened to) will be required after this release. These Disks will probably contain more music.

Agreed, I downloaded the bootlegs a long time ago but deleted them shortly after because of how horrible the sound quality will be. This set will be perfect for me, all though if they release 2-CD complete scores of all four I'll get those too.

I agree. When I listened to El Cid, I realized that they'd turned a corner developmentally. I don't know what they did, but something changed, and they sounded great.

The track lists are what I was hoping for. A 'Star Wars Anthology'-type release. This is, as Borat would say, "vary nice."

The track titles (well, guessing what they might be), seem close to my 80-minute edits that I made from the original albums and my favorite parts of the bootlegs that I could fit on one disc. Looks close. I'm sure that most of the goodies left of the main discs will probably fill disc 5. Really sweet.

As for throwing away bootlegs, I never do. I never throw away anything. I'm a pack rat. Plus, boots, aside from poorer sound quality and/or SFX, always have a record of a different take or edit of some sort, or even the occasional extra cue that missed an official release. I keep them all for reference. Same with the old original albums. I'll never throw them away in favor of expanded releases, and sometimes I have gone back and bought OST albums even AFTER I got expanded versions. I keep them all in my collection. Of course, that's the completist in me, I suppose.

Is a Blu ray rip of rear channels even possible?

I don't think so. Unless someone has a blu-ray drive in their computer.

That's not the only way. But I don't think they'd make a Bu-Ray Player with each separate channel's audio output. That's how I do them on DVDs.

Do you mean a stand alone player with 5.1 analog output? If so, they most certainly do exist. There's a fair number of them in fact.

Wow, I didn't know that they still make them like that anymore. I haven't even seen a standard DVD player with them since maybe 2002, or maybe 2003 or so. Interesting, but how much are they? I'm waiting until Bu-Ray comes down more before I get one. Until then, my 1080i-upconvert DVD player and DirectTV HDTV satellite both hooked up to my 52" HDTV holds me for the time being. The upconvert is somewhere between standard DVD hookup and true HD. Pretty close... at least close enough until Blu-Ray comes down a bit.

November 11th... damn.. well, at least the KotCS DVD and playing around with homemade expanded DVD-extracts should hold me until then.

I'm not familiar -- outside of the movies, of course -- with most of the "new" tracks on these CDs, but it looks like Concord has done a pretty good job. I'm now officially stoked for November 11.

Hopefully, whenever we get the track listing for disc 5 (I'm assuming that info isn't already available, and that I haven't somehow missed it), it'll be just as thrilling. I'm still kinda hoping for something extra from Crystal Skull, just to be able to say it was there.

I highly doubt that these legally ambiguous "bootlegs" ( which I never listened to) will be required after this release. These Disks will probably contain more music.

These bootlegs are many things, but they were never ambiguous.

I welcome the day when studios stop being paranoid a**holes and open up their music vaults. Now that buying mp3s online is a reality, I bet there are thousands of scores lying on computers somewhere that could be making money for them.

Unless Amazon UK gets a local version, I'll have to get it imported, which means that unless we get disc 5 tracklists soon, I might as well hold off pre-ordering it until it's released, and find out from here exactly how complete everything is.

I just pre-ordered it. :P The only drawback is that since I cut back on priority shipping, I'll have to wait quite a long time to have it delivered to Poland... On the other hand, I have waited for so many years, that I can hold on for one more month.

The track lists look great! I'm very psyched. However, I can't help noticing that the Finale/End credits from Temple of Doom doesn't have an asterisk beside it, so it contains no new music. Does that mean we're still not going to get the movie version of the end credits (which includes the really cute version of the Raiders March with Short-Round's theme behind it)?

The track lists look great! I'm very psyched. However, I can't help noticing that the Finale/End credits from Temple of Doom doesn't have an asterisk beside it, so it contains no new music. Does that mean we're still not going to get the movie version of the end credits (which includes the really cute version of the Raiders March with Short-Round's theme behind it)?

that's what it means, yes.

Well it could be on Disc 5, but I would prefer any other unreleased music over this End Credits Version.

Rensacked House

Power of the Grail

Death of Messanger of God (has a very nice fanfare when Indy gets the horse!!)

Flying Back to Austria, this cue has a very lovely string writing at the begionning, and my favourite Nazi Theme statement!

Still I think they shouldn't have used the Original Cue-sheet names. These Track Titles suck!

Yeah it will be interesting to see if the previously released cues were taken from the original album masters or from the same source used for the new cues.

Oh well there's still 10 seconds of the Short Round/ Indy theme on the original TOD album.