The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Terrific news about Wolfen, and so glad to see the Intrada blurb repeatedly mention that it contains EVERY NOTE of the score. Hopefully they learned their lesson from Honey I Shrunk The Kids and Natty Gann.

Not surprised to see that it isn't paired with Safan's rejected score - supposedly, Horner requested that Something Wicked This Way Comes not be paired with Delerue's rejected score

The Great Train Robbery will go on my list of "Intrada MAFs to buy someday" along with Patton, First Blood, and The Great Train Robbery

Terrific news about Wolfen, and so glad to see the Intrada blurb repeatedly mention that it contains EVERY NOTE of the score. Hopefully they learned their lesson from Honey I Shrunk The Kids and Natty Gann.

James Horner and Simon Rhodes were responsible for the album presentation for those Disney-Intrada releases, but I'm surprised Horner allowed a complete score release of Wolfen.

I don't understand why you guys complain about C&C issues like these. Horner's Something Wicked This Way Comes and HIStK plays just fine as an album and listening experience.

I think the complaint comes from the fact that the chances of there being a proper release for a film score are so few and far between... and each year that passes is a nother year that masters can be damaged, destroyed, lost to time... and thus... things that are left off...abandoned... are relegated to that place where they may never see the light of day.

I mean, look how fast Return of the Jedi was lost... 1986 to 1993? 7 years is all that one took... we're talking 20...20+ with some of these...and now that they're out there... released... if they forget something...leave something off...who knows the next time some label will come along and try...will they find everything? or will this be it?

It's disgusting and disturbing to me that we don't preserve our history. Film says so much about our mindset...our beliefs...our fears and hopes and wants... and music is just a big a part of that as any... we've lost so many priceless relics already... It disheartens me when they don't/can't release it all... especially if the composer requests that.

Granted, not many of these are gems of film history...but still... they shouldn't be treated lightly

...except the horner. You can burn them all for all I care :-p

I don't understand why you guys complain about C&C issues like these. Horner's Something Wicked This Way Comes and HIStK plays just fine as an album and listening experience.

We don't complain about proper C&C issues. However, with the case like "Honey I Shrunk The Kids", the complaints were warranted since important (even if they were short) cues were left off of the Intrada release and it was a good chance to have all 100% of that particular score released.

Honey I Shrunk The Kids was a good release but I admit being disappointed that I still had to resort to some foot warmer tracks. :( "Quark To The Rescue" inparticular was really too good of a track to leave off. I guess what was aggravating was the complete score easily fit on just one CD, so it really was dont just because Horner wanted to make his own listening experience since it was the first time the score was ever released, due to all the copyright issues that ended up taking place. I guess if I were him I would want to do the same thing, to finally make it my own for the world to hear. But at the same time, he should have known that the score is from an older film, and the demand for it was for the entire thing, not just "most" of it. I still think anyone who has the complete footwarmer should still definitely support the release (that is still in print, right? kind of sad...), because the sound quality is better and it does have wonderful liner notes. Just still a shame that for the best experience you need a few tools and tweaks, if you know what I mean. Maybe if composers still want their "intended listening experience" they can just have a "suggested track sequence" listed in the liner notes.

Oh wait... I forgot about something called "microedits" that some composers love to do more than others on their albums... (I'm looking at you, John Williams). At least James Horner didn't do any of those on HISTK, haha.

I'm also very happy to see WOLFEN finally released. Some parts of his score from THE HAND were re-used in WOLFEN. But those parts won't appear. What Horner authorized for this WOLFEN CD, it's what he recorded for the film, not the score as you hear it in the film. I agree, Horner's releases are better & better: we even get alternates here!

Are these the last releases for this year?

No, there may have another titles on Dec. 13 (they close their office few days before X-mas each year).

INTRADA

Announces:

387506_10150400534477169_569387168_8262181_1449678907_n.jpg

THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY

Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH

INTRADA MAF 7115

For the 1979 United Artists' film The Great Train Robbery, composer Jerry Goldsmith was offered a chance to score abundant action in a jolly, mischievous mode. In fact, Goldsmith’s score is instrumental in maintaining a playful, upbeat mood and providing an ornamental sophistication in keeping with the elegant expectations of the Victorian setting. His multiple instrumental lines aren’t just complex in and of themselves: Goldsmith also wrote graceful little introductions and concluding flourishes for each line, an approach which adds enormously to the score’s sense of character and its idiosyncratic feel. The Great Train Robbery was Goldsmith’s third collaboration with director Michael Crichton, after his rock-vibe score for Crichton’s telefilm Pursuit and his clanging, Bartok-flavored score for Coma.

At the time of the film's release, United Artists Records released a program that barely reached 28 minutes, and featured some absurdly long pauses between tracks. This same program (minus those pauses) was released on CD and paired with Goldsmith's earlier Wild Rovers. A subsequent, partially expanded release from Varese Sarabande premiered some striking omissions from the original LP program, including "Over the Wall," but also featured a different mix and omitted "Dead Willy," an aggressive action cue missing at the time. For this release, Intrada worked from the complete elements, restoring every note recorded for the score, including "Dead Willy," alternates, and source cues recorded by the composer and featuring a crisp, front-and-center sound. This is contained on the first disc. Disc two contains the original LP program as an added bonus from the original UA LP masters featuring Goldsmith's assembly.

In 1979, Crichton delivered something altogether different with The Great Train Robbery: an elegant and droll Victorian adventure with Sean Connery as an indomitable criminal genius, Donald Sutherland as a top-hatted British “screwsman” (a thief specializing in stealing and copying skeleton keys) and Lesley-Anne Down as a female criminal with a penchant for disguise—a trio embarked on history’s first-ever great train robbery.

INTRADA MAF 7115

Retail Price: $19.99

Available Now

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7372/.f

GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY, THE (2CD)

Label: Intrada MAF 7115

Date: 1979

Tracks: 44

Time = 137:01

At last! World premiere release of complete soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith for Michael Crichton period action tale of gold robbery performed aboard moving train, starring Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland, Lesley-Anne Down. Though rumored to have been lost forever, Intrada locates complete 1/4" two-track stereo session masters made by Eric Tomlinson during London recording sessions, maintained in beautiful condition courtesy MGM. This enables first-ever release of numerous cues including all-important action cue "Dead Willy", where frenzied string rhythms, powerful trombone figures provide score with its most ferocious moment. Other new cues offer variants to main theme, additional darker sequences. Goldsmith also recorded all of his classical source pieces during the sessions and we include those as well. His take on Handel's famed "Music For the Royal Fireworks" is dazzling indeed. Several alternates were present on masters, including early take on classic "The Gold Arrives" set piece, this time with central section spotlighting virtuoso trumpet double-tongue passage Goldsmith ultimately toned down for final take. Roaring fun! Bonus CD offers U.S. CD premiere of original 1979 soundtrack assembly as produced by Goldsmith, newly mastered from United Artists album master. Informative notes from Jeff Bond, handsome original campaign art complete exciting package. Jerry Goldsmith conducts National Symphony Orchestra. Nicely-priced 2-CD set is part of Intrada MAF catalog of great film scores!

CD1 Complete Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

01. The Gold * 0:11

02. Main Title 2:43

03. Is He Dead? * 0:51

04. Breakfast In Bed (Record Version) 1:49

05. Breakfast In Bed #1 * 1:44

06. Breakfast In Bed #2 * 1:46

07. No Respectable Gentleman 2:25

08. A Relentless Suitor * 1:16

09. Clues 3:54

10. Rotten Row 2:43

11. The First Key 0:08

12. Bordello Raid 0:46

13. Kiddie Caper 2:03

14. Casing The Station 1:33

15. Street Attack (Record Version) 1:41

16. Street Attack (Film Version) * 1:40

17. Over The Wall 1:59

18. Night Entry 2:29

19. Night Exit * 1:00

20. Double Wax Job 2:57

21. The Tombstone 1:13

22. We Go To Paris * 1:12

23. Dead Willie * 1:58

24. Open Casket * 0:23

25. The Padlock * 0:41

26. All Aboard * 0:35

27. Departure 0:42

28. The Gold Arrives 2:44

29. Torn Coat 1:52

30. End Title 2:58

Complete Soundtrack Time 51:00

The Extras (Conducted and/or Supervised by Jerry Goldsmith)

31. The Gold Arrives [Alternate] * 2:43

32. Sonata In D For Two Pianofortes K448 (Mozart) * 6:02

33. Source Medley * 5:06

34. Music For The Royal Fireworks (Handel) * 3:03

Total Extras Time 18:03

CD1 Total Time 1:09:10

* = Previously Unreleased

CD2 Original 1979 United Artists Soundtrack Album

01. Main Title 2:33

02. No Respectable Gentleman 2:23

03. Double Wax Job 2:46

04. Casing The Station 3:09

05. The Gold Arrives... 2:43

06. Kiddie Caper 2:02

07. Clues 3:52

08. Rotten Row 2:40

09. Torn Coat 2:23

10. End Title 2:58

CD2 Total Time 27:51

Price: $19.99

INTRADA

Announces:

308929_10150400534527169_569387168_8262182_1253432345_n.jpg

WOLFEN

Music Composed and Conducted by JAMES HORNER

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 185

The 1981 Orion Pictures' film Wolfen had a harrowing journey to the screen. Amidst the behind the scenes turmoil was a call to replace the original score, and James Horner was hired to write a completely new score with only 12 days to provide 39 minutes of music. Horner took a warmer approach than its predecessor, balancing melodic material with fast-driving, percussive action-horror music. The score is compelling in mood and color, alluding to both the archaic natural world and supernatural forces with great subtlety and sophistication. Rarely does a young composer come along with a distinctive musical voice and the ability to craft it so utterly in support of a film, ultimately paving the way for Horner's hiring on the following years' Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, elevating him to A-list status.

Horner (who orchestrated the score himself) called for a 67-piece orchestra consisting of 20 violins, 10 violas, 8 celli, 6 basses, 6 woodwinds, 2 trumpets, 4 French horns, 3 trombones, 1 tuba, 1 harp, 3 keyboards and 3 percussion. The percussionists played a variety of unusual instruments—tom toms, tam tam, trans celesta, plastic pipe, waterphone, rub rods, Indian rattles, bull roar, wind machine and song bells—in addition to conventional chimes, vibraphone, xylophone, bass drum and timpani. The keyboards were enhanced by the distinctive bass of Craig Huxley’s blaster beam, heard in a variety of sci-fi scores of the period. Horner also applied echoplex tape loops to acoustic instruments for haunting and eerie effects.

This premiere release from Intrada presents the complete score from the original multi-track master elements stored at Warner Bros. This dynamic, crisp recording gives the score striking new life and this release fills a noticeable gap in James Horner's discography.

Wolfen tells the story of NYPD detective Dewey Wilson and Dr. Rebecca Neff, a young psychologist who specializes in studying terrorists, who are investigating a brutal murder in Battery Park. With the help of a medical examiner and a zoologist, Wilson and Neff discover that the killers are actually wolfen: super-intelligent wolves who survive by preying on society’s forgotten ones—the poor and homeless. Wolfen features Albert Finney, Diane Venora, Edward James Olmo's and Gregory Hines.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 185

Retail Price: $19.99

Available Now

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7331/.f

WOLFEN

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 185

Date: 1981

Tracks: 13

Time = 46:29

Wow! Early James Horner soundtrack for sensational Michael Wadleigh horror thriller finally gets released! Riveting tale stars Albert Finney as detective on trail of serial killer which turns out to be not human! James Horner creates intense, exciting score, introduces numerous musical devices that become trademarks, including magnificent fortissimo punching motif played by low trombones, tuba in octaves. Every note of score recorded by Horner is included, mixed and mastered from mint-condition complete 1/2" three-track stereo session masters courtesy Warner Bros. Incredibly crisp audio details unusually complex string passages, ferocious brass performances. In balance are several delicate passages featuring piano. Actual film seamlessly tracks music from (slightly) earlier Horner picture THE HAND due to additional scoring needs. Though that music was not available for this release, entire score Horner did compose for WOLFEN is here, including pair of alternates not used in finished film. Entire production was supervised by the composer. James Horner conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while interest and quantities remain!

01. Main Title 2:25

02. Van Der Veer's Demise 7:13

03. In The Church 3:15

04. Wolfen Run To Church 1:15

05. Whittington's Death 1:47

06. Shape Shifting 2:13

07. Rebecca's Apartment 1:24

08. Indian Bar 6:54

09. Wall Street And The Wolves 2:58

10. The Final Confrontation 3:33

11. Epilogue And End Credits 5:41

The Extras

12. Rebecca's Apartment [Original W/Trumpet] 1:24

13. Epilogue And End Credits [Original Version] 5:51

Price: $19.99

You know, I always love these early Horner's score. You suppose a theme he used in a later film, such as Aliens, was from an earlier film, like the two Treks. But than you will found that the theme was in fact used in an earlier film, like Wolfen. It make me keep thinking which score was the theme originally used in the first time and the first place? It's a wonderful searching and always be surprise!

Sorry to put this here and interrupt the flow of the discussion of the new releases.

i was just searching for some information for King Solomon's mines releases etc and I stumbled upon the initial Intrada release (not the Prometheus release).

I don't know if this has been discussed before but can someone tell me why it has the cover of Allan Quatermain and the lost city of Gold?

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=28844

Maybe Mark Banning designed it.

hmm. I didn't get that.

Let me explain.

the cover that is used in the Intrada King Solomon's Mines is the poster of Allan Quatermain and the lost city of Gold which is again in the Lalaland Release of this movie.

King_Solomons_Mines_MAF7075D.jpgAllan_quatermain_city_gold_LLLCD1099.jpg

While it should be the poster of the King Solomon's mines which is indeed used in the Prometheus release of the score.

King_Solomons_mines_PCD161.jpg

I got you the first time, I have no idea. My comment was a joke, Mark Banning is a cover designer who doesn't always do brilliant work.

Glad there's someone else that doesn't quite like Banning's work. Die Hard's art work is a bit better compared to his earlier ones.

Honestly to me Banning's artwork looks too closely like bootlegs. I know MV hates it when someone points that out but it's the truth.

If La-La Land always used the guy who did the artwork for Home Alone I wouldn't complain at all.

I got you the first time, I have no idea. My comment was a joke, Mark Banning is a cover designer who doesn't always do brilliant work.

Glad there's someone else that doesn't quite like Banning's work. Die Hard's art work is a bit better compared to his earlier ones.

Honestly to me Banning's artwork looks too closely like bootlegs. I know MV hates it when someone points that out but it's the truth.

If La-La Land always used the guy who did the artwork for Home Alone I wouldn't complain at all.

Yeah, the artwork for Home Alone and 1941 is awesome. The discs themselves have similar design work too.

They have never been OOP. The main page is just letting you know that the license is expiring soon so they won't be able to legally sell any more after that date

Good news! Intrada is on schedule with a new batch coming on Monday the 12th!

Our last batch of the year. With three releases. One 2-CD set. One Special Collection title, two MAF titles. No Conan. No Disney. One definite fan favorite. One cool farce score. One score that gets mixed reactions, but now it's bigger, it's better, and I've always liked it. All three are reissues. Two have been on CD before. One just on LP. All three are expanded. One will be late, probably not in on 13th. Two from the 60s, one from the 80s. It's all good.

Source: http://www.intrada.n...php?f=12&t=4524

Hmmmm. So to break it down:

3 releases:

-1 2CD, 2 single-CD

-1 Special Collection, 2 MAF

-1 fan favorite, 1 farce, 1 mixed reaction score that is now bigger and better

-2 have been on CD, 1 has only ever been on LP

-2 60s, 1 80s

Hopefully the fan favorite is from the 80s and is something like Young Sherlock Holmes, Supergirl, or Star Trek IV

Almost guaranteed to be a Goldsmith in the 60s.

Can anyone think of any good farces from the 60s or 80s?

Trying to read a lot between the lines:

-2CD

-MAF

-mixed reaction score that is now bigger and better

-have been on CD

-80s

If this will be the combination, the title could very well be an expanded Willow (should be MAF because it was recorded in London, so no re-use fees).

Star Trek IV would fit the 80s, single CD, mixed-reaction score, and would be a suitable MAF release, IMHO.

If it is that, I have a n extremely slight disappointment that FSM/Retrograde didn't pick it up to round out the Genesis Trilogy, though happy about seeing it released.

But who knows? Sometimes these clues can get pretty hectic.

Willow would be great too. So would Cocoon expanded/complete. But I'm not going to create the usual lengthy pie-in-the-sky wishlist, as would be customary. ;)

Star Trek IV would fit the 80s, single CD, mixed-reaction score, and would be a suitable MAF release, IMHO.

And if it included Rosenman's original Main Title, it would pretty much fit the "bigger and better" description.

If this will be the combination, the title could very well be an expanded Willow (should be MAF because it was recorded in London, so no re-use fees).

WILLOW got an uniformly excellent reaction, usual nitpicking about the Schumann and Prokoviev aside. I don't think Intrada would describe this score anything like this.

I like the idea of a Star Trek IV reissue! IMO, a score that shouldn't be out of print, even if it has a divided opinion. I've always liked the score, especially the shorter cues like "Hospital Chase" and "The Whalers."

Guys Willow is Lucasfilm and non of the labels have had any luck with Lucasfilm. Remember too Lukas Kendall once posted a long time ago saying that Lucasfilm likes to sell their licences to the highest bidder. So unless Intrada was able to pay said ridiculous licence fees, don't count on the MAF being Willow.

I suspect that Willow would be a more accessible Lucasfilm property than most others (with the possible exception of Howard the Duck), but it seems unlikely.

In this case I would be happy to be proven wrong. :whistle:

I hope Intrada will release a complete score to Willow sometime soon. I'm guessing there's about 20 minutes of more music including the festival source music.

Sorry to get off topic..But if it's Trek IV that would be sweet too!

From the latest Roger clues, it certainly looks like Star Trek IV is a strong contender for the 80s score.

One 2-CD set - MAF - fan favorite. 1960s

One Special Collection - One cool farce score - 1960s LP only (not counting unmentionables)

MAF - One score that gets mixed reactions, but now it's bigger, it's better, and I've always liked it. 80s. Part of a series, and considered one of the strongest films in the series.

If it is indeed Star Trek IV, I'm glad it will be unlimited like Star Trek 2 and 3 - makes the whole "Genesis Trilogy" unlimited. It's too bad LLL's Trek 5 had to be limtied to 5,000 copies.

BTW, how would a new edition of Trek IV be "bigger"? Was the OST missing some instrument overlays?

Glad if the fan fave 60's title is The Sand Pebbles, that it too will be unlimited. I like collecting all the expanded Goldsmith's that have been coming out - especially Intrada's - but I like not having to rush to do so.

Anybody got a good youtube video showcasing The Sand Pebbles score? I have never heard it before,

I don't know a thing about 60's farces

He might have been going by the phrase "bigger and better". As for what the OST was missing, not much that we know of - an assorted 7-8 minutes of short cues, and maybe the original opening titles music.