What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

In addition to the 5 albums you mentioned above, Lincoln, BFG,  and the Star Wars sequels all had FYCs that are different programs than their OST albums, too.

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

In addition to the 5 albums you mentioned above, Lincoln, BFG,  and the Star Wars sequels all had FYCs that are different programs than their OST albums, too.

Yes I will listen to them later!!!

On 01/01/2022 at 4:24 AM, Disco Stu said:

American Factory - Chad Cannon

I listened to this back when the documentary came out a couple years ago and just randomly revisited it tonight.  It’s a fine score that reminds me of Thomas Newman a lot of the time.  Chad Cannon is an up-and-comer to keep an eye on.

He's been on my radar for some time now. His score for the Chinese documentary QUINGHAI from 2021 is quite good too. His best, however, is the SCHINDLER'S LIST-ian HARBOR FROM THE HOLOCAUST from a couple of years ago.

John Williams - The Post (FYC)

Ennio Morricone - The Thing

Danny Elfman - Dolores Claiborne (expanded)

Michael Kamen - Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (expanded)

John Williams - Lincoln (FYC)

Made it through 4 physical CDs today!

Michael Giacchino - Sky High

OOof, didn't like this one :(

Laurent Perez Del Mar - The Red Turtle (La Tortue Rouge)

Really nice classic orchestral score, and this was my first time seeing the Quartet physical edition, which features really nice artwork!  I want to watch this film now!

Thomas Newman - Cinderella Man

I got this CD from a friend who worked in a Borders for a while and got to take home their punch-out promotional copies of anything she wanted.  It's a nice score!  Never seen the film though.

John Ottman - Apt Pupil

I have no idea how I ended up with this one, but it's kinda nice.  I always forget Ottman exists, but then when I listen to one of his scores I always find something to like.

I want one of the labels to do a single release combining Alan Silvestri's scores for Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men.  I'm a huge fan of his Father of the Bride scores and the Grumpy scores are mining very similar territory (as in, Silvestri's ripping himself off... and I like it!).  Besides, those score never received a release of any kind which is a real shame.

Screenshot_2021-10-19-00-57-26.png

This is a phenomenal score.

Under the radar .

Check it out.

The film is essential to fully appreciate it

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It's that time of the year again!

the-post3_twitter.jpg

Is that Hanks and Streep playing historical figures. Again!?

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I want one of the labels to do a single release combining Alan Silvestri's scores for Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men.  I'm a huge fan of his Father of the Bride scores and the Grumpy scores are mining very similar territory (as in, Silvestri's ripping himself off... and I like it!).  Besides, those score never received a release of any kind which is a real shame.

Nice. The main theme sounds a little bit like somebody put Doyle's "Potter Waltz" and Menken's "A Whole New World" into a melting pot.

R-660972-1550341018-3755.jpeg.jpg

The second CD (The Empire Strikes Back). It actually sounds surprisingly good on my new speakers*, but when it comes to Star Wars, I only love the 2-LP of the first movie, which is closer to classical music and Russian composers. This one (TESB) is more John Williams' style of action music.

* but I can still hear they EQ'd the treble

Randy Edelman - Gettsyburg (OST)

The first 2 tracks were nice (but reminded me heavily of Powell's How To Train Your Dragon), and the last track (Reunion and Finale) was the best track on the whole disc, and was genuinely really really good!  For most of the middle, though my attention wandered.

ab67616d0000b273240d0530bf185a6be2475998

The release is from 2021, but the selections are from 2020. This is the third short film compilation from Moviescore Media, following their wonderful 2018 and 2019 albums. I just love these. Different styles, but organized in a fluid way and paying respect to the short film format, which we film score fans often tend to neglect. Mix of composers too, from the rather famous to the largely unknown.

Leonard Rosenman - Robocop 2 (OST)

Hey this is fun!  This is one of those Varese 30 minute-ers that is over as soon as you're really getting into the groove.  But as a result there's no dull parts.  The themes are nice.

George S. Clinton - Wild Things (OST)

Hehe, this is quite enjoyable!  Another 30 minute-er, actually 36 minutes including 2 Morphine songs.  It's funny how well I knew some of this music, despite never having heard the soundtrack album before, solely from watching the film a bunch in college.  One of those scores that you know what you're getting and if you're in the mood for it, it delivers

While writing pretty much non-stop these last three days I've managed to go through quite a lot of scores;

Dolor y gloria (2019) – Alberto Iglesias

Innerspace (1987) – Jerry Goldsmith

Les envoûtés (2019) – Bruno Coulais

La resa dei conti (1966) – Ennio Morricone

The Last Jedi (2017) – John Williams

The Magnificent Seven (1960) – Elmer Bernstein

Fear (1990) – Henry Mancini

The Song of Names (2019) – Howard Shore

The Post (2017) – John Williams

The Third Man (1949) – Anton Karas

Sleepers (1996) – John Williams

I can't say I enjoyed them all, but then I didn't give them my full attention either.

I still expect White Christmas right after Man of the House, even when listening to the expansion. That's just a perfect musical fit. But separating Carol of the Bells and Setting the Trap really hurts the music's coherence.

Two physical albums listened to this morning

Jeff Beal - House of Cards (Season 1)

The main title for this show is literally one of the best of the 2010s, its great (especially when watching the show; I imagine if you've never seen it and listen to it, it won't do much for you).  The Season 1 OST album is not consistently compelling throughout its 97 minute runtime, but a 40 minute highligh playlist would probably be pretty nifty.  I found it interested that it listed the AFM players in the booklet (common for catalog titles, rare for OSTs from what I've seen I think?), and learned via that that the entire score is just strings combined with Jeff Beal's own playing of piano/trumpet/duduk/electronics.  Pretty neat.

Trevor Jones - Merlin (OST)

A nice fantasy score that doesn't have strong memorable themes that hook you, but just kind of nicely rolls along for 73 minutes without being boring.  I've never seen the miniseries.

On 06/01/2022 at 10:59 AM, bollemanneke said:

I'm listening to Home Alone, the OST. This presentation makes no sense, but really none at all. I'm trying to appreciate it as an 'album experience', but it just does not work.

"Home Alone" is one of the firsts genuine "CD program" OST made by John Williams.

I think, from my point of view, that JW never really adapted himself to this reality.

An LP program offer so much possibilities, as you have to make two mini-programs, one for each side.

With the CD, you lose that.

On a CD the program of "Born on the fourth of july", always looked strange by example, but in fact, all JW's compositions are on the B Side... So it make sense.

Then on a LP program only featuring original compositions, each side usually begins with a great track, then ends with a great track too.

Each side of an LP is a little journey.

I don't know what is the "journey" on a CD program... especially if the music is not even in chronological order!

I think my favourite CD OST programs are those who have a main program, then a "bonus tracks" section at the end. So you have the choice to listen only to the shorter main program, or to put all the tracks in a chronological order, for a longer program. I like that a lot.

I've mentioned this before, but I used to make playlists for my old soundtracks, side by side. Listening to "Side Two" of The Empire Strikes Back after all these years was a revelation. It's such a perfect, bite sized nugget.

I agree with Bespin that the approx 40 minute LP programs Williams assembled from the start of his career through the mid 80s are GENERALLY good, and FOR THE MOST PART make sense in terms of each half being a nice little mini program, regardless of what music he elected not to include at all.

Once the 90s rolled around he entered a strange era of doing so much less in-cue editing and recording way less just-for-the-album pieces, and with the albums lengths now being longer, they are sort of nicer in the sense that you hear more good music you remembered from the film, but the "art" of presentation was going away...

Some time after his sort of semi-retirement after 2005 his albums for the most part made more sense again, and we got some all time classics like War Horse, Lincoln, Force Awakens, and The Post, but also really poorly arranged ones like Indy 4, Tintin, Rise of Skywalker....

I dunno, I'm out of steam on this thought train

I got an "action" little phase today.

James Horner - Aliens (the OST tracks from the Deluxe Edition, but in Chronological order, anyway, that's shorter)

Jerry Goldsmith - The Mummy (remastered OST)

Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall (remastered OST)

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Wlliams has never ever, in his entire life, made a bad album programme. I have spoken.

I could never get into The Fury. Perhaps I should revisit?

38 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I could never get into The Fury. Perhaps I should revisit?

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

The OST of THE FURY is absolutely amazing! It's a symphony.

Yup, the OST is the way to go with that one.

41 minutes ago, Thor said:

Wlliams has never ever, in his entire life, made a bad album programme. I have spoketh.

Fixed!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You find that poorly arranged?

I do.  He skipped too many important highlights, and put what he did include in a weird order.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

I do.  He skipped too many important highlights, and put what he did include in a weird order.

FYC, you need to listen to the FYC album!

That's another subject.. the last FYC albums are often (if not always) better than the OSTs.

image.png

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm not overly familiar with the missing music. What would you say are the most important highlights missing?

On 07/01/2022 at 5:21 PM, Bespin said:

FYC, you need to listen to the FYC album!

I've had the Tintin FYC since before you knew it existed, and own a legit physical copy of it

On 07/01/2022 at 5:26 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not overly familiar with the missing music. What would you say are the most important highlights missing?

1M1    TinTin
1M2    TinTin and Snowy

1M6B    The Library Scene

1M11    You Mean, the Poem?

1M13    Tub?...Tub!?

3M17    Capturing the Plane

1M21B    Old Enemies Meet

4M22A    Working the Puzzle and Into the Desert

4M22B    Tin and Emir Exchange Legends

5M31    The Eye of Bagghar

3M35    The Unicorn Theme
3M40    TNT

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've had the Tintin FYC since before you knew it existed, and own a legit physical copy of it

But have you listened to it?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

1M1    Tintin
1M2    Tintin and Snowy

1M6B    The Library Scene

1M11    You Mean, the Poem?

1M13    Tub?...Tub!?

3M17    Capturing the Plane

4M22A    Working the Puzzle and Into the Desert

4M22B    Tin and Emir Exchange Legends

5M31    The Eye of Bagghar

3M35    The Unicorn Theme
3M40    TNT

Are any of these on Youtube?

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But have you listened to it?

The FYC album of Tintin?  Absolutely, many times.

I prefer my custom edit combining the OST and FYC together into one long album, though

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are any of these on Youtube?

I doubt it.  The recording sessions have never leaked, so the only way to hear them is in the film itself (if they were used in the film), or as synth mockups made from sheet music (if they were not)

2 hours ago, Thor said:

The OST of THE FURY is absolutely amazing! It's a symphony.

Fine.

The Fury (LP)

I hadn't listened to this in 35 years. I've never seen the film. Hey, this was pretty good. (Not Eiger good.) I have no idea what would be on an expanded edition. This might find it's way into my regular rotation. Clearly my musical tastes have evolved from when I was 17. (Boy that was not a very good year.) That was back when I never listened to side two of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I'd like to have words with that kid.

I think that Christopher Young may have taken a slight inspiration for Hellraiser from this.