What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

How was this rejected? It's exactly the same as the Balfe score.....

Britell's stuff is full of escalating fire, the anger at republicans and conservatives everywhere for how selfish they are.

Man, this is literally better than ANYTHING written in the past 20 years.....

Just to reiterate, the Don Davis stuff needs appreciation>

AGONY is not only my favourite North and one of my top 50 scores of all time, the Goldsmith recording is beautiful. For once in these recordings, the spacey sound befits the subject matter, as if it's reverberating within the Sistine Chapel itself. Highly recommended, and IMO outshines the dry original recording by a million miles.

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

A Streetcar named desire (Alex North), from the Jerry Goldsmith re-recording.

Masterpiece! This needs a complete release.* We see mediocre scores getting 2 and 3 disc releases, and this is only the highlights.

Yeah, it's a brilliant score and a great re-recording by Goldsmith. 

But I don't think there is much unreleased music... is there?

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Viva Zapata, The Agony and the Ecstasy

[snob mode ]Aren't these cheaper Prague recordings?

I want Goldsmith to work only with the National Philarmonic.[/snob mode]

I guess it's might also be a top10 Goldsmith for me

Breakdown (LLL) by Basil Poledouris

A strong action score. It's good to have both score (rejected and final) in one presentation. I actually prefered the rejected score, don't know though if it's feet better the movie or not.

:music: Scream 2 by Marco Beltrami. Easily the best of the series. It flows nicely in the complete presentation and nicely balances the orchestral, vocal and electronic elements. 

Karol

These days, it's pretty rare that I get really hooked by some new music I listen to, because I'm mostly in discovery mode.

But, yesterday... I've putted these two tracks on repeat!

Wow!!!

The two last tracks of Red Sparrow by James Newton Howard:

• Didn't I Do Well?
  • End Titles

Try just the Overture and then those final 2 tracks to start.  That is 30 minutes of music!

Then, maybe another day, try the entire OST album (which adds 45 minutes of meh in between those good 30 minutes :P )

Aaand my latest project.

Among the many adaptations of Mihály Fazekas' epic poem about Mattie the Goose-boy thrice taking revenge on the evil landlord who had him beaten unjustly, by now the most well-known and popular is Attila Dargay's entertaining animated version, the first feature-length movie of its kind in Hungary, helped by the talents of popular writers and great actors. The music was composed by Tamás Daróci Bárdos, who's best known for folksy choral works. For this film he built a score out of Liszt's melodies, energetically and enjoyably adapted for an extended hungarian/gypsy orchestra. From the second half of the second Hungarian Rhapsody comes the climactic chase, from the third comes the motifs for the landlord's building castle, Mattie's architect persona and the great tree-felling, from the fourth comes Mattie's main theme, from the sixth come motifs and marches for the geese, the landlord and his army. Many of these motifs appear all over in different, or even intentionally similar guises to fit on the work's cyclical frame.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This is a very cool channel, Holko!  I especially like how you've kept a certain open letter as the first public video ;) 

Hopefully I can take it down very soon! (He thought 2 years ago)

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Try just the Overture and then those final 2 tracks to start.  That is 30 minutes of music!

Then, maybe another day, try the entire OST album (which adds 45 minutes of meh in between those good 30 minutes :P )

I'm tired of this kind of puerile commentaries.

Like if a great score should only be made of great action and passionate cues one after the other.

Not all movies are Star Wars.

I bet you don't even know what is the subject of the movie and why the movie opens with a great ballet long cue, then gets very dark and ambiant.

MY GIRL - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Yeah... a shit DVD rip of the score.

THIS NEEDS A PROPER RELEASE.

It's utterly stunningly, utterly stunningly, utterly stunningly, utterly stunningly... beautiful. Why has nobody done it yet? I would literally stab a baby to get this.

This is my Holy Grail.

Clear and Present Danger by James Horner

A terrific score and the true musical sequel to Aliens. The action writings is great as well as the searching cues

So mad to have missed its expansions, really hope Intrada will reissue it one day

42 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Clear and Present Danger by James Horner

A terrific score and the true musical sequel to Aliens. The action writings is great as well as the searching cues

So mad to have missed its expansions, really hope Intrada will reissue it one day

You just gave an idea what to put on. It's been a while. :)

Karol

Had a bit of an Alex North-athon (it's a real thing, look it up ;-) having listened to all of the Jerry conducted re-recordings he did in the 90s. Not sure if it was intentional or not but, aside from a few tracks in 2001, they are North scores that are relatively easy to get into and make a great introduction to anyone who might think of North as hard going and dissonant (i.e. the people who expected Dragonslayer to sound like Krull...). I always think there are only 3 or 4, but realised there are actually 5:

The Agony and the Ecstasy - probably my favourite North score. I know some people grumble a bit about the tempos in this one but frankly the changes aren't to the detriment of the music and it certainly sounds richer than the original recording, even if it's missing a handful of minor cues. In iTunes, I tagged the LSO recording of The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint that Jerry wrote as a prologue in front of his own re-recording. I figure it may as well go with the score it was written for rather than Rio Conchos (where it originally appeared) to which it otherwise has no connection.

Viva Zapata! - Another where people grumble about the tempos here and there, notably Gathering Forces and I concede that it doesn't have as much bite here as the original tracks or the Bernstein re-recording, which is probably the top choice, albeit it is the shortest representation of the score (Bernstein: 26 minutes, Jerry: 32 minutes, Varese release of the original tracks: 28 minutes). 

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? which I always think of as Who's Afraid of Virginia Bottomley? - a silly satirical reference to a former UK from an old radio comedy panel show. Some really lovely, intimate writing that I doubt most listeners would realise was from the 60s.

A Streetcar Named Desire - the "first jazz based score" which is a appellation I've never been entirely convinced of but I guess it could be the case. Either way, North expertly mixes the jazz elements with an orchestra for plenty of southern summer heat.

2001 - I remember borrowing this from our local library when I was at school (but since bought, of course). Destined to remain his most in/famous score. It would be great to see the film with the score in place as written. I don't think it quite matches the intense unworldliness of the Ligeti choral music that Kubrick chose for the latter parts of the film but the rest would likely be terrific, especially the writing for the brutal dawn of man section. Still quite amusing that the "Main Title" was later discovered not to be from 2001 at all, but from a documentary about Africa. Can't say that it evokes Africa any more than out space but still... it makes a bracing way to end the album.

The adjustment bureau. Basically the perfect example of how you do not make an OST. My favourite theme is under-represented, I do not need those terrible songs and why on earth should this thing be chronological?

DoW is one of my favorite scores ever. It's truly breathtakingly good. And my favorite theme from it is not Dunbar's theme, but rather the love theme. Man, Barry knew how to write stupendous love themes!

You remind me I that I bought this new version, but I haven’t listened to it yet... Well I think. Anyway, I never really compared it with the previous FSM version I had.

12 Cellos - As Time Goes By

I had no idea I owned this album until I found it in my pile of CDs I haven't listened to yet.  It's pretty good!

It features 3 John Williams cuts - Family Portrait from Harry Potter, Catch Me If You Can, and I Could Have Done More from Schindler's List, all of which are very good

It features the main theme from Basic Instinct, in an interesting, subdued, 2 minute version

One of my favorite tracks is the Main Theme from Titanic, which is a great arrangement, and nice to hear someone cover that theme instead of the love theme

There's lot of other stuff too, like Once Upon A Time In The West, Once Upon a Time In America, The Thomas Crown Affair, Vertigo... and it even features the sung lyrics in The Bear Necessities track.

Cool album!