What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Batman (1989)

Tonight was my first viewing of the film.  I watched it with my brother and my dad.

Let me preface this review by saying I'm not neck-deep into superhero fandom by any stretch of the imagination.

Elfman's score, of course, is awesome, with a main theme that, just like Williams' Superman theme, went on to become the de facto theme for the character.

Unlike Superman (1978), though...  it's hard for me to say that the film itself works as a perfect encapsulation of the character.  (At least in the context of this first viewing, with the knowledge of everything that came after it)  The Batsuit looked really uncomfortable, and the showcasing of the gadgets was often very clunky and slow-paced, which greatly reduced the intended "cool" factor there.  I'm also...  not quite sure how I feel about Keaton's Batman/Wayne...  At times during the Bruce Wayne scenes I actually straight-up forgot that that's who he was supposed to be.

BUT!

I'll be the first to admit that this is only because my brother already started showing me Batman The Animated Series just recently, and I'd long since already seen Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy by this point.  I'm sure if I hadn't already been exposed to Batman's greatest heights before watching this film, the '89 film might've had a better impact on me.

The Joker stuff was really fun, at least.

Oh, and Alfred is amazing as always.

I've just finished a "Batman binge", where I watched a bunch of films set in Gotham so I could compare between them. I've never read the comics, all I know about Batman comes from what I see in these films. Here follow my candid, rough impressions:

Started with the Nolan trilogy. I watched BB and TDK many times some 15 years ago, though that was mainly because I really liked the score. But I always found it difficult to get into Nolan's style. I was hoping that viewing the films many years later might change my perspective. But if I'm honest, it's pretty much how I remembered it.

BB is still by far my favourite. TDK has Heath Ledger playing the Joker, which is of course a legendary performance, but apart from that I still find the whole thing pretty clunky. It's the film equivalent of a piece of teenage creative writing: "This happened...then this happened...suddenly, this happened..." The overall concept of the film is good, I have no problems with it. But it's the frame-by-frame action on screen and dialogue which grates on me for some reason. Everything on screen is just so "over-confident", for lack of a better term.

TDKR is basically TDK v2, though I felt some of the individual action scenes were better done than in TDK. Some of the plot is just so fantastical and unrealistic, though. I wonder, is this something that derives from the comic-books? That stuff suddenly "just happens", with no explanation? Because I just find it baffling. I think perhaps it's the clash between the "realism" the film is going for vs. the fantastical plot that troubles me. It's almost like it's trying to be a children's movie, yet the story is so gritty and down-to-earth, and I just get mixed messages.

Anyway, not saying that Nolan's trilogy is bad. BB especially is a great film. But I can't really explain the insanely high scores on review websites, personally.

Next, I watched Joker (2019). This was...OK. My main problem was that we don't really see Joker become a criminal mastermind, more like a mass-shooter type. But that minor niggle aside, I found it to be an excellent character study. The story dragged on a bit. The acting was superb, though.

Next, Batman (2022). I really loved the atmosphere of this film. I felt the story could've been a bit more interesting, and the performance of the Riddler was a little underwhelming. But the way the film was shot is phenomenal. Definitely the most visually pleasing Batman film.

Finally, I returned to Batman (1989). I never saw this film in its entirety previously, only caught bits of it on television. This film has some truly classic scenes. The surgery scene is possibly my favourite scene from all the films mentioned. Jack Nicholson knocked it out of the park as he always does. And I found Michael Keaton's portrayal of Batman quite endearing. And special mention goes to Elfman's score, by far my favourite score out of all these films. (In fact I'm listening to it now :music:). In fact, there's not much to fault in this film!

So what are my overall thoughts on these films? Ultimately, Batman (1989) is my favourite, but Batman (2022) was the most beautiful to look at and most atmospheric. Joker was pretty good, though felt like it belonged in a different universe. And BB is a very solid origin story, whereas the rest of the Nolan trilogy is still something I'm trying to digest. :P

MV5BNjI1NzQ0YjMtNWMzMi00YjFhLWFkYTgtMDMx

I generally love Tennessee Williams's film adaptations and this is no exception.

14 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Tonight was my first viewing of the film.

:o

For the record, my favorite Batman film is Batman Returns.

I guess you haven't seen that one either, have you?

The Other Fellow - 2022 docu that talks to a disparate group of men from around the globe who are named ... James Bond. Some have leant into it, for others it's been a drag. An intriguing watch.

IMG_0301.jpeg

This man can sit in a chair reading the phone book and win an Oscar for it, he is that good an actor.

Batman 89

Batman Begins

Batman 66

The Batman

The Dark Knight

Batman Returns

The Dark Knight Rises

Batman Forever

Batman and Robin

All are inferior to the Animated Series, but that's my order.

BATMAN RETURNS

BATMAN (1989)

BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE.

Er... that's it, really.

BATMAN BEGINS is tolerable... just.

BATMAN FOREVER is half good, and half terrible.

The rest are varying degrees of excrement.

I like the 2 Keatons, bits of the Kilmer, all of the Bales and the '66 West (taken in the spirit intended, it's great fun). The Clooney ... oh dear God. 

No interest in the 'Vs. Superman', Joker or the 3-hour Pattinson gloomfest. 

3 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Batman 89

Batman Begins

Batman 66

The Batman

The Dark Knight

Batman Returns

The Dark Knight Rises

Batman Forever

Batman and Robin

Wow, you watched all these films yesterday? 

53 minutes ago, JTN said:

Wow, you watched all these films yesterday? 

Lol not quite, but pretty close

Ring, Ring 2 - the late nineties ones directed by Hideo Nakata. 

The first is a low budget masterpiece of contained terror. The second*... I'd forgotten that it's about ten different ideas each fighting for attention. Good bits, but far less sustained and coherent than the first one. 

(*Ring 2 is actually the third film, but they decanonised the previous "sequel," Spiral/Rasen.) 

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

No interest in the 'Vs. Superman'...

BvS is a decent Batman film (I like Affleck as Bruce Wayne - and I really like Gal Gadot :lol:), but a mediocre Superman film. I've not seen the extended cut (which, apparently, is much better), but I like it because there's quite a lot going on.

Remember reading that the idea behind 'Batfleck' was that he'd reached a sufficient level of jadedness and cynicism that he no longer cared about not seriously injuring/killing adversaries, and it's certainly evident in that clip. 

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

For all its flaws, BvS at least has the best Batman action scene ever put in a movie:

That is visual nonsense. So, like every other Snyder action scene I've seen.

IMG_0304.jpeg

I had only seen Leslie Caron in An American in Paris, and I was amazed what a great actress she is in this film. She has a beautiful face, and very sensual lips.
Music by John Barry.

Let It Be

Well, with all the context we have now and all the well-documented tumult in this month, this final product almost feels... quaint? Small? It's interesting how with all the changes that happened they managed to circle back to the original vision of "just" a concert film with some docu footage to lead up to it, and how much it assumes you have the context of the era for it - but then, of course, they were just completely ubiquitous, weren't they?

I definitely didn't get the feeling that it was a darker/dour movie that seemed to be the common opinion Get Back was held up in contrast against when it came out, those 2/3 conversations stand out but for all the rest of it the lads are having a lot of fun and a lot of worse things are ignored.

The restoration is fantastic, there will be no controversy here, whereas Get Back was scrubbed and denoised, the grain is lovely and intact here, the audio's great too.

13 hours ago, JTN said:

I had only seen Leslie Caron in An American in Paris, and I was amazed what a great actress she is in this film. She has a beautiful face, and very sensual lips.

Speaking of Caron, I've tried 3 times to watch Gigi (I generally love musicals), a 9 Oscar winner including Best picture, but never managed to finish it...

IMG_0311.jpeg

QUEEN OF HEARTS - A very heavy subject matter. Great leading actress.

MV5BMGE5MzM4NDItZTgwNy00MDBjLWI2ODQtNzVj

Quite good sci-fi horror mystery, BUT I found it too short, and didn't like the effect with the freeze frames when it showed the children's eyes...

Does anyone know how is the Carpenter remake? Haven't seen that...

VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED is a great little film, with a tight, literate script, good performances from Sanders and Shelly, and creepy kids (the effect was gotten by putting platinum blonde wigs on to children with brown eyes).

It's a minor British classic.

The remake is dog shit.

From what I understand, parts of the story were updated (not surprising for a 21st century adap of a mid-50s novel), but the vast majority of it made it to the screen more or less intact.   

Mother’s day, 2018. Vicky McClure’s accent is pure bliss. And the score is unreleased, of course. And I need to learn more about the entire conflict. Well, trip to Derry in September.

MV5BYjYyODExMDctZjgwYy00ZjQwLWI4OWYtOGFl

I have watched more than half already, but I will call it a day and go to sleep in a while.

Fascinating film, although politics is the last thing I'm concerned about, and also as a non-American I'm a little lost in the plot (eg. don't understand the Bay of Pigs events, the Cubans involvement etc.).

The editing is like nothing else I've ever seen on film (except of course Nixon by Stone again).

Also, I am not sure what exactly Williams composed and what TomandAndy. Was it those percussion rhythms? I hope any future expansion clears this.

It's a pity the extras packed Shout Collector's edition UHD/blu-ray, doesn't have any documentary on the music.

May 2024. As we commemorate the centenary of Charles Aznavour (22 May 1924 – 1 October 2024), I recently revisited that incredible film compiled from personal footage shot by Aznavour himself.

I highly recommend seeking out the version with English subtitles. :love2:

Aznavour By Charles (2019)

Machete/Machete Kills - Robert Rodriguez's parody of/tribute to grindhouse actioners, which make for a hoot of a double-bill if you're in the right mood (alcohol helps). The craggiest-faced man in the business (Danny Trejo) cuts a swathe through manys a scumbag whilst the eye-candy is in the shape of the likes of Michelle Rodriguez, Jessica Alba and Sofia Vergara.

I'm in the process of watching Dunkirk for a second time, and again, in my opinion, this is Nolan's best pic to date. It's also his only 'Feel-O-Rama' movie where the director really takes his time (too much time for the average Nolan apostle, I'm sure) to make you feel like you are there actually living it. And no, I don't need to love the characters to pieces before that to happen. It's all in the direction and storytelling.

Dunkirk-lead.jpg?auto=compress,format&w=

I saw Dunkirk at the IMAX. I've had the Blu for years, but I haven't watched it yet, because it's really designed as a merciless audiovisual assault, which means I have to watch it during the day if I don't want to have the neighbours call the police because of the noise.

Those dog fight scenes must have been breathtaking in IMAX. I watched it with headphones and thought the unconventional music worked really well in Dunkirk. Everyting is like a musical interpretation of a ticking clock but I guess it does't make for a nice or great CD to listen to. I dunno, I haven't tried it yet. I think I am going to let the score be an integral part of the movie.

IMG_0340.jpeg

It’s become a guilty pleasure of mine. Tom Newman’s score is great as usual. What always surprises me is how Pratt is the better actor in this film. His chemistry with Lawrence is sizzling by the way. The film has a nice melancholy to it, I’ve always been a sucker for a man stranded alone in the world (kind of the story of my life) and trying to survive. This is a perfectly enjoyable escapist sci-fi romantic drama with two great actors, and two very good supporting actors.

Not to me. As I said, it’s my guilty pleasure. I love romantic movies, love sci-fi, love Robinson Crusoe-type stories, love Tom Newman music, and this film has it all. 

5 hours ago, A24 said:

Those dog fight scenes must have been breathtaking in IMAX. I watched it with headphones and thought the unconventional music worked really well in Dunkirk. Everyting is like a musical interpretation of a ticking clock but I guess it does't make for a nice or great CD to listen to. I dunno, I haven't tried it yet. I think I am going to let the score be an integral part of the movie.

I thought the score worked very well as sound design for the film. It became weaker when it came closer to being music - the Elgar stuff was rather cringy as I recall. I've no interest in listening to it on CD.

image.jpeg

CHILDREN OF MEN   dir. Alfonso Cuarón

Genuinely the best dystopia on film I've ever seen. Still chills me that there are parallels to witness 18 years later.

This really is excellent. Clive Owen is superb as the central character, depressed and racked with guilt, suddenly immersed into the role of protecting something that matters.

Cuarón crafts some beautifully violent set pieces - some of which are truly groundbreaking in their blend of cinematography and VFX* - that are horrific but very very impressive. Some really stunning setpieces. The finale is fucking insane.

Superb film; one of my favourites from the century thus far.

*The birth scene might be the best CGI I've ever seen. And it's such a lengthy shot. Good god.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I really liked this. It has some unconventional cinematography that makes everything feel bit askew. Same with sound. I miss those kinds of older lower budget movies that rely on mood more than anything else. Somewhat quaint but endearing.

Now I can finally dive into the recent Intrada expansion. I needed some context.

Karol

IMG_0347.jpeg

The Ulysses Cut - Mad Max on water. If it was released today marketed like that, with Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron or Chris Hemsworth and Anya Taylor Joy, I’m positive it would be a huge success. And it even has a great JNH action adventure score.

30 minutes ago, JTN said:

IMG_0347.jpeg

That's one lousy poster design.

And with his name nearly as big as the title, why didn't they just call it "Kevin Costner's Waterworld"! lol