5 film scores you would like to have complete!

filmmusic

Well, with all this converstation about Lalaland and Hook etc., I thought to open this thread (I don't think there is a similar, is there?) about what film scores you would like to have in their complete form with all the alternates and unused etc. that haven't been released yet.

So, my list:

1) HOOK - of course.. one of my 3 favourite scores of all time. It was the first Williams score I heard in album apart from the movie, and the 2nd film score I've ever heard as a soundtrack (after Kilar's Dracula)

2) E.T.

3) LEGEND (Goldsmith) - I consider this score to be Goldsmith's masterpiece

4) SISSI TRILOGY (Anton Profes) - I don't know if you know this trilogy with Romy Schneider (the blurays were released recently), but I think they are popular in Europe. The music hasn't been released ever, nor it will be ever I assume, but I still like this classical style of the music composed for the life of Queen Elizabeth of Austria.

5) BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (Alan Menken) - my favourite film of all time, my favourite animation film of all time, and my favourite Alan Menken score.

Those were the first that came to my mind, I'm sure there are others too..

Edit: Also I'd like to add 2 TV animation scores that I would love to have for memories sake:

Ducktales and Thundercats (the 80s series)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but then you'll have to do with that crappy release of A.I.

As for me, I would certainly enjoy several of the JW classics of the seventies and eighties and nineties and 00s in a proper presentation. E.T., Lost World, Temple of Doom, etc. Other composers for which I'm interested for correct releases are Bernard Herrmann or Rósza and his massive epic scores. Some of them got a proper treatment and it ruled.

Not counting stuff known to be coming out in the near future, I then still have to divide this into two lists: Film and Television.

In no order, and all have to be remastered.

FILM:

1. Rudy (Jerry Goldsmith)

2. Duel (Billy Goldenberg)

3. Gladiator (rejected score to the 1992 boxing film; Jerry Goldsmith)

4. Star Trek: First Contact (JErry & Joel Goldsmith)

5. Something Wicked This Way Comes (rejected, from the tapes Roger mentioned, and this time COMPLETE; yes, I'll take the circus music, too, and that wonderful music box cue; Georges Delerue)

(if we had gone to 6, I would have listed "Coming to America" (Nile Rogers)

TELEVISION:

1. Gunsmoke (40 different composers, but there are about a dozen I want stuff from; suites at the link given, though the provider is down right now)

2. Samuria Jack (James L. Venable & Paul Dinletir)

3. Dynasty (same site, also suites)

4. Duck Tales (Ron Jones, and the pilot score by Steve Rucker and the other guy)

5. Magnum, pi (Mike Post & Pete Carpenter, and a handful of other composers)

(I keep all the suites on my YouTube channel, should the site not come back up soon; I also have a number of "Samurai Jack" suites up)

Come to think of it, a good, properly mastered, and bonus features DVD of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" would be most welcome!

Okay, here's my list:

1) Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Jerry Goldsmith) - Some day, it just has to be. Every other reason has been given and is obvious.

2) Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Cliff Eidelman) - Just as classic as Trek II and Trek III, and just as deserving.

3) Cocoon (James Horner) - There is a significant portion of music not found on the OST that is fantastic.

4) The Mummy (Jerry Goldsmith) - 'nuff said :)

5) The Shadow (Jerry Goldsmith) - Awesome score for a not-quite-awesome movie.

And no, I didn't vote for Clones and Chamber because no one else would. I think Clones has the most interesting unreleased music of the prequels and there's a lot of stuff in there I've wanted since I saw the movie. Chamber is such a dense score. Also, a wonderful recording. Even all the stuff that's adapted from Stone, it's so good again and however Williams and Ross adjusted it. I want all of that thing. Same type of scenario.

I still believe Azkaban doesn't have that much great stuff missing.

Gladiator (Zimmer's)

Spidey 3

Planet Earth (George Fenton)

Sleepy Hollow

Signs

I would also have Dante's Peak on this list, but I'm only after the missing cue from that so it's overridden.

Ross adjusted it. I want all of that thing. Same type of scenario.

I still believe Azkaban doesn't have that much great stuff missing.

There are about 3 cues I want from PoA. Same for CoS really. Neither reaches the heights of SS for me.

Only 5? Shit you made this A LOT more difficult, I can't choose simply 5 of them. Here's my top remaining want list of scores to be given a complete legit release...

Air Force One (may never happen knowing Varèse)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek: First Contact (all though I'm happy with the boot)

Star Trek: Insurrection

Star Trek: Nemesis (happy with the boot)

Hook

Star Wars Episode I (intended edition)

Star Wars Episode II (intended edition)

Star Wars Episode III (intended edition)

Starship Troopers (may never happen knowing Varèse)

The Mummy

The Mummy Returns

Back To The Future

Independence Day

Batman

.....Oh wait....

Only 5? Shit you made this A LOT more difficult, I can't choose simply 5 of them. Here's my top remaining want list of scores to be given a complete legit release...

I based on my list on stuff that we don't have complete in any form. If something exists in perfect sound as a 100% complete boot, I'm happy. If it gets a legit release, great.

When you say the Varese ones may never happen, are you referring to them getting round to them, or that they wouldn't bother doing proper 2-disc sets when they did?

When you say the Varese ones may never happen, are you referring to them getting round to them, or that they wouldn't bother doing proper 2-disc sets when they did?

It's exactly what I mean, I really doubt they'll happen. If they do I don't expect them to be 2-CDs... Air Force One's choir fees were pretty high, might still be today not sure. I'm pretty happy with the boot for that though.

After the whole fiasco with "The Matrix", I really fear that further expansions from scores from the 90's and early 2000's from Varèse will be only 1 CD and not 2. We got lucky with Star Trek because I think that's how Giacchino wanted the score, even though it was half assed but still..

Air Force One (may never happen knowing Varèse)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek: First Contact (all though I'm happy with the boot)

Star Trek: Insurrection

Star Trek: Nemesis (happy with the boot)

Hook

Star Wars Episode I (intended edition)

Star Wars Episode II (intended edition)

Star Wars Episode III (intended edition)

Starship Troopers (may never happen knowing Varèse)

The Mummy

The Mummy Returns

Back To The Future

Independence Day

Batman

.....Oh wait....

ID4 had been released.

ID4 had been released.

Obviously you weren't seeing I was joking. :P

"Humor it is a difficult concept, it is not logical".

O sorry no I just looked at the titles :)

When the prequels are finally released, they will be digital downloads.

I'm hopeful the Harry Potters will get out there in 2012 when they re-release the movies. They won't keep that stuff hostage. Perhaps isolated scores, but hopefully CDs. Many of the CDs have been OOP on Amazon for some time.

I would take every complete score from JW. But if the list is limited to 5 titles...

1/HOOK (but I have good hope this one should happen).

2/A.I. -- yep, even if the soundtrack CD is full, it's not enough to me.

3/DOLORES CLAIBORNE (Elfman) -- saw the movie in theater, did fall in love with this score. All of it!

4/STARSHIP TROOPERS -- the last "bigger-than-life" score from Poledouris in my opinion!

5/OBSESSION -- Herrmann's last love story desserves an expanded, remastered reissue.

It's exactly what I mean, I really doubt they'll happen. If they do I don't expect them to be 2-CDs... Air Force One's choir fees were pretty high, might still be today not sure. I'm pretty happy with the boot for that though.

After the whole fiasco with "The Matrix", I really fear that further expansions from scores from the 90's and early 2000's from Varèse will be only 1 CD and not 2. We got lucky with Star Trek because I think that's how Giacchino wanted the score, even though it was half assed but still..

They'll all happen eventually. Varese isn't just going to sit on major scores like Air Force One.

But the fact that they don't interact with customers at all doesn't help. Even though LLL/Intrada/FSM don't outright reveal titles all the time, they give hints here and there about stuff that will never happen, and stuff that they're giving a shot. I just like the reassurance of knowing that someone is looking into it.

Someone has to be working on the Jurassics. But like BTTF, there's no audio clip they could possibly give us that wouldn't reveal them. I think they will just appear, fanfare-free.

We can only hope that is the case.

Complete releases I would buy for sure, listed alphabetically:

- Alan Silvestri, The Mummy Returns (already available as bootleg, but I would like legit CDs)

- Basil Poledouris, Conan the Barbarian (not sure whether I'd want the real thing or the re-recording, so I'm waiting)

- Jerry Goldsmith, Mulan (one million bootlegs available, but I would like one good version on CD)

- John Debney, Lair (I wouldn't mind actually paying for the real thing)

- John Williams, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

- John Williams, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

- John Williams, Hook

- John Williams, The Lost World: Jurassic Park

- John Williams, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

- John Williams, Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones

- John Williams, Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Complete releases that otherwise interest me, listed alphabetically:

- Andy Price, Robin Hood

- Alan Silvestri, Van Helsing (already available as bootleg, but there's something very wrong with the volumes of the tracks)

- Basil Poledouris, Conan the Destroyer

- Basil Poledrouris, Starship Troopers

- James Hannigan, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (full version WITH Hedwig's Theme, of course)

- James Hannigan, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (full version WITH Hedwig's Theme, of course)

- James Hannigan, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows P1 (full version WITH Hedwig's Theme, of course)

- James Hannigan, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows P2 (full version WITH Hedwig's Theme, of course)

- Harry Gregson-Williams, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Witch, The Lion and The Wardrobe (the "recording sessions" are hardly complete, in the wrong order and with wrong tracknames)

- Jerry Goldsmith, Air Force One

- Jerry Goldsmith, Congo

- Jerry Goldsmith, Star Trek I: The Motion Picture

- Jerry Goldsmith, The 13th Warrior

- Jerry Goldsmith, The Mummy

- John Debney, White Fang 2: Myth of the White Wolf

- John Debney, Hocus Pocus

- John Williams, Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn

- John Williams, Far and Away

- John Williams, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

- John Williams, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

- John Williams, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

- John Williams, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

- John Williams, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

- John Williams, Jurassic Park

- John Williams, Star Wars Episode VI - The Return of the Jedi (something must be done about the sound quality)

- Klaus Badelt, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (there's some music missing that I do rather like)

- Hans Zimmer, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (some of the missing music is rather nice)

- Hans Zimmer, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (the best of the bunch, even though I do like the first film's score too)

- Hans Zimmer, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (just out of interest; I don't think the score in the film is anything to write home about)

- Mark McKenzie, Down Periscope (I want the action music from that movie; it's cool!)

Oh, I forgot - I would REALLY like to see Fred Karlin's excellent score to Survive the Savage Sea, a great made-for-TV movie from the 90s, released someday. I think the score has never been published, and even the movie is practically impossible to get which is a big shame as I'd really like to watch it again. :(

I've got enough to spend my money on that I'm not going to cry over not having official releases of albums with footwarmers that range in quality from good to excellent.

That being said.

I don't consider the unofficial supplemental music for The Last Crusade to be in good quality, so I would say:

5 - A prequel, pick one

4 - IJ and The Last Crusade (JTW)

3 - Soul of the Ultimate Nation (H Shore)

2 - The Ten Commandments (E Bernstein)

1 - DuckTales (Ron Jones' TV show. Not the flipping movie and certainly not the NES game.)

Jurassic Park

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Return To Oz

Those are my five that I want the most. I have many others I want of course but those above I would want before all the rest if I could. There are also many others that have decent or listenable complete or expanded footwarmers, but the ones listed above can only be heard in DVD edits (well unless I were in some higher trading circle, damn it). This list would have been a little different if it weren't for this year though with releases like Gremlins. :D :D :D