King Mark

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer films)

I guess I would've liked the ending more if it wasn't for the horrible new age score, one of the worst examples of the "wailing woman" subgenre (and this one is already pretty bad). Maybe if he'd let the scenes unfold with no music, or just minimum music, it would've been more effective, instead of Lisa Gerrard whining on the ears of the audience.

Going to see Fantasy Island. I know its a typical February film (not like Silence). It will probably be a waste of time but it pits me near Red Lobster so the purpose is served.

Almost forgot...

Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn... It was better than Suicide Squad and definitely more fun than all three Zack Snyder films combined (but then, so is being shot in a leg). Was it good? Not really. I liked there were some nice John Wick-flavoured action scenes with (what looks like) real stunts...even if they often don't feel like they belong in this particular movie. Mix it up with Guy Ritchie type of narration and a pinch of Deadpool and you end up with hot mess. It is also paced very poorly...as was the case with every single DC movie since 2013. One genuine saving grace is Margot Robbie who is a pleasure to watch in pretty much every movie and the same can be said here. Her take on the character is pretty much spot on.  I enjoyed it more than it must sound like from my description but it is already fading from my memory.

Karol

10 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

The \    /    \     /    itch = The Lighthouse > The Babadook > Under the Shadow > It Comes at Night = Midsommar = The Wailing > Hereditary = A Quiet Place > It Follows = Us = Get Out

What...

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Hereditary > It Follows/Bird Box > The VVitch > A Quiet Place > Midsommar > Us/Babadook

...the...

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Midsommar > Hereditary > Get Out > A Quiet Place > Bird Box > It Follows

...hell?!

What is it that everyone thinks Midsommar is a good movie. It is

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

boring as hell,

complacent and craving for pertinence.

20 hours ago, KK said:

I've been meaning to watch The Babadook, but a friend told me it's overrated and even kind of silly.

Well in a way, it is [silly]. Evil Dead is very silly too, as is its sequel. Still absolutely amazing horror films in their day though. I didn't expect much from Babadook at all, it was one of those "oh fuck it" button pushes on Netflix one night. I thought it was an excellent B-movie entry into the genre and I probably found it to be the creepiest of the ones mentioned here, helped by sympathetic performances from the terrorised mother and son coupling.

Anyway, my order would be this, based on pure enjoyability factor (because they're all good films):

Babadook > Hereditary > It Follows > Bird Box > The Witch > A Quiet Place

Actually, I found the last one to be quite mediocre by the end.

Oh and the ending of The Mist is my favourite part. It's such a good film that, and another very silly one.

We watched Crawl. Such a cringe worthy film. David needed a couple of aleve afterwards for all the shocks and jumps. There are many alligators near our house too. Everynow and then you have to stop and let them pass.

Parasite

That was really great! Now I know from where all the hype is coming from. All the Oscar wins were well deserved, and I still think it should've won for Best Editing as well.

One thing that was great that I haven't seen many people talking about was the usage of music on the film. Whether is Jung Jae-il's minimalistic piano score or classical selections, the music worked very well on setting the tone(s) for the movie.

Watching it on theaters is a great experience, better than at home, I guess. This is probably why the movie is getting such a great box office, even with it available on iTunes. Truly an event film.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/02/parasite-box-office-streaming-record-gamechanger-1202211842/

On 2/19/2020 at 5:14 PM, Edmilson said:

Parasite

That was really great! Now I know from where all the hype is coming from. All the Oscar wins were well deserved, and I still think it should've won for Best Editing as well.

It was unavoidable that Trump would trample all over it.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Either way, it's not for the worse that Parasite won. The social topic it addresses deserve the spotlight.

Indeed. Though I find it a little amusing how taken aback domestic audiences are by how "novel" Parasite's social commentary is, when most Asian/South Asian cinema has pretty much been dealing with that kind thematic material, in one form or the other, for as long as I remember. A sign of privilege, I guess.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Renewed? Has it happened before?

There was some chatter about it from lefties a few years back. They want to censor everything that contradicts their lithpy worldview.

Whatever way you slice it, GONE WITH THE WIND is among the greatest films ever made. Sure, it's a product of its time, as all films are, but it needs to be viewed in context.

What's next? Will THE GODFATHER be banned, because it stigmatises Italian-Americans?

Will OLIVER! be banned, because one character is offensive to Jews?

Fuck's sake.

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

There was some chatter about it from lefties a few years back. They want to censor everything that contradicts their lithpy worldview.

A theatre decided not to show it because they felt the film's racism is insensitive to a large segment of the local population. The book has already been banned in the '70s for similar reasons. 

41 minutes ago, Quintus said:

*Devil's advocate* What about Birth of a Nation?

Also Griffith's follow-up, the BRILLIANT Intolerance, which is basically Griffiths' way of whining that people were intolerant of his racism. Cry me a river.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's Lean's Oliver Twist.

Oliver! is a Carol Reed musical.

22 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's one of the greatest ever made!

It is. That isn't to say that its racist undertones wouldn't hurt the viewing experience of a contemporary audience, of course. Same with Gone With the Wind, Oliver Twist, Intolerance, etc...

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Whatever way you slice it, GONE WITH THE WIND is among the greatest films ever made. Sure, it's a product of its time, as all films are, but it needs to be viewed in context.

What's next? Will THE GODFATHER be banned, because it stigmatises Italian-Americans?

Fuck's sake.

Just this week, a Belgian carnival parade car portraying Jews in a stereotypical way have been asked by Israel to cancel their parade. 

Puppets-of-Jews-on-display-at-the-Aalst-

Personally, I don't mind, but I understand that some people take offence, just like with Gone With The Wind.

Watched Sonic the Hedgehog and Emma last week. The first one was far from disaster I expected and the second was fine. But I can barely remember anything about either of them.

Karol

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I knew she was destined for more. She already made it to Marvel:

Which actually will be a horror movie, just set inside a super-hero universe.

In any case, she's a good actress, and should do other genres besides horror.

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Which actually will be a horror movie, just set inside a super-hero universe.

In any case, she's a good actress, and should do other genres besides horror.

In the latest season of Peaky Blinders, they needed one American actress and guess who they went for?

PRI_79490886.jpg

Actually, she's an American-born Argentine and English actress.

On 2/22/2020 at 4:02 PM, Alexcremers said:

Looks way better! So it's not really good either? Bummer! I thought that girl was going to make it big!

Oh she's fine. I liked her. The film is "fine" too. It's just nothing distinctive. 

Call of the Wild. It was cute and heartwarming kid's movie. The marketing is a bit misleading because human characters in this play second fiddle. I suppose having a film told through the eyes of a dog justifies using CGI animals but it would have been much better as an animated feature. The story is quite episodic of course so it sometimes feelslike focus is being lost somewhere. On a plus side it's good to see non-snarky Harrison Ford in a movie for a change.

Karol

15 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

In the latest season of Peaky Blinders, they needed one American actress and guess who they went for?

PRI_79490886.jpg

Actually, she's an American-born Argentine and English actress.

Did you get to see Thoroughbreds? She's quite good in that.