RIP Robin Williams

nightscape94

Oh God, not Robin :(

This one hurts. I know he was a severely troubled man, but he always seemed so positive and optimistic when discussing his struggles with depression and addiction. It's easy to forget that someone who was such a beacon of happiness had so much inner turmoil. I suppose it's not an uncommon story, but it doesn't make it any less heartbreaking.

Sad news.

Like many here, I grew up watching him in various different things and he always gave interesting performances. Whether it be comedy or drama, he always brought a dynamic unlike anyone else, and even though he may have lost that ability in recent years, he was still a great actor and one of those who could sway me to watch a film of his even if it had been derided by the critics. Tragic news, but of all celebrity deaths, its probably one of the least surprising. He has been a known drug and alcohol abuser, and like many comedians suffered from severe depression. Dealing with the lingering illness of a parent in recent years, I understand how its easy to fall into a pit of depression, and its unfortunate to see that he was not able to climb out of it. He will be missed, but his legacy will continue to bring laughs for generations to come.

I am sorry to hear you have this, Sharky. I bumped into Robin Williams in a public bathroom a few years ago and can say he had a deep love for his kids. I hope they know they meant so much to him that he commented on it to me, a total stranger, in the bathroom. RIP.

I . . . simply can't believe this. What a shock. Makes you suddenly realize that he was one of those people in the scope of your life who was always just there. He's a fixture. The world just isn't the same without his manic energy.

I taped the full length of this interview (only partially shown here, and focused a little more on his mentor, Jonathan Winters) back in 1986. It's always stuck in my mind as a glimpse into what made Robin tick. I adore watching these two work--and most of all, watching them make each other laugh so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDJjq0Pd0RM

Man, I'm gonna miss this guy. . . .

Just heard about this today. Couldn't believe it myself.

This is why depression needs to be addressed and why those with it should never keep silent about it.

Loved him in Dead Poets Society and Hook.

I don't know if this is appropriate or not, but I've read cases of asphyxiation victims who have come back to life in what is known as Lazarus Syndome, and they go on to live full lives. It's extremely rare, but a part of me wishes so badly that it would happen to him. It just wasn't his time.

This is absolutely terrible. He was beloved in my household as well as countless others and to have him go in this way is heartbreaking.

Oh such terribly sad news! :crymore:

Rest in peace.

Robin Williams had such incredible talent for comedy with mindboggling ability to find humour in anything in a heart beat but I most remember him for his humane warm roles in films where he projected often such vulnerablity.

So sad. I knew he had some troubles, but in public he always appeared so happy.

The Academy tweeted this really touching post: https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/498996314395246593/photo/1

Not to be a downer, but I find that to be a misguided twitter post. I mean, committing suicide makes you "free"? What a terrible message.

Not to be a downer, but I find that to be a misguided twitter post. I mean, committing suicide makes you "free"? What a terrible message.

Free of pain, I guess.

tumblr_mgy949tlry1s0lvwfo1_500.jpg

#1 is now wrong.

Shocked to read the news too... Hook is so close to my heart and Robin is so big a part of my enjoyment of it than it truly saddens me that he had so many mental problems. He always seemed so optimistic and wanted to cheer up the people with his jokes, energy and optimistic spirit.

"To live would be an awfully big adventure".

That'll be so hard to hear him say it from now on. :(

So sad. I knew he had some troubles, but in public he always appeared so happy.

The Academy tweeted this really touching post: https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/498996314395246593/photo/1

Hmm, good point

Jeez, I forgot about Patch Adams, literally no one else could've made it work.

Also Toys and The Birdcage were fun to see him in.

Good Morning Vietnam is a one-man show that I have to watch again someday.