The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the recent MCU movies have been boring and samey.  Most of the recent DC movies have been train wrecks.  I think there’s an argument to be had for finding both sides of that coin more watchable than the other, depending on your temperment.

27 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Well, I guess we can say that at the very least DC didn't make a movie as terrible as Love and Thunder.

As bad Love and Thunder is, there's at least decent VFX, some nice production design and a good cast which is clearly missing from Shazam! 2 or The Flash.

Even though I guess it depends of  people's taste

A lot of VFX is worse than it theoretically could be now due to the number of huge effects movies and shows, the limited number of effects studios, the demands of production (including last minute changes), and compressed production schedules.  They’re all using the same effects houses.

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

As bad Love and Thunder is, there's at least decent VFX, some nice production design and a good cast which is clearly missing from Shazam! 2 or The Flash.

Even though I guess it depends of  people's taste

Even Waititi criticized L&T's CGI:

https://screenrant.com/thor-love-thunder-vfx-mistake-taika-waititi-video/

In other words: rich and famous Hollywood director made fun of the hard work done by many low level workers who couldn't do a better job due to Marvel's insane headlines and demands.

It's a structural problem at Marvel Studios that got monumentally worse over the past 3 years with the huge amount of movies and streaming shows.

This Variety report sheds some light into Marvel's problems with CGI:

https://variety.com/2023/film/features/marvel-jonathan-majors-problem-the-marvels-reshoots-kang-1235774940/

43 minutes ago, Brónach said:

they should know what they want beforehand.

And that is the problem: they don't. They keep tinkering their productions which inevitably leads to a drop of quality in the visual effects.

This part of the Variety article about She-Hulk is very telling:

But some internal sources suggest Alonso was a scapegoat and point to the “She-Hulk” VFX issues as a symptom of a deeper rot — namely a lack of oversight on script development. In the original arc of “She-Hulk,” a flashback of star Tatiana Maslany’s transformation into her Hulk character didn’t take place until Episode 8, the penultimate episode. But after Marvel’s brain trust watched footage, it realized the scene needed to happen in the pilot episode so that audiences could see more of the character’s backstory early. That meant that the VFX team was tasked with fixing the mess in postproduction.

“The so-called bad VFX we see was because of half-baked scripts,” says one person involved with “She-Hulk.” “That is not Victoria. That is Kevin. And even above Kevin. Those issues should be addressed in preproduction. The timeline is not allowing the Marvel executives to sit with the material.”

All the while, Marvel was bleeding money, with a single episode of “She-Hulk” costing some $25 million, dwarfing the budget of a final-season episode of HBO’s “Game of Thrones, ” but without a similar Zeitgeist bang.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched GOTG 3 last weekend and I thought the score was TERRIBLE. Not just bad but absolutely godawful, to the point it really hurt the movie. 

Murphy's work on The Suicide Squad wasn't that bad, but Guardians 3 made me feel worried for what the score for Superman will be. Gunn should've stuck with Tyler Bates, who, unlike Murphy, provided a real quality score filled with a lot of emotion for Guardians 2.

It's not the songs I'm talking about - they're fine, I guess. It's the John Murphy score, which is absolutely horrendous.

Such utterly uninspired and generic melodramatic writing performed with such thin orchestrations that the whole score might as well has been synth.

During the "sad" scenes, the score was trying so hard to be epic and dramatic with orchestra (?) and choir (??) and I was like "Am I supposed to be moved with such a generic and by-the-numbers music?". Bates provided Vols 1 and 2 with appropriately emotional scores (especially Vol 2), he would've made Vol. 3 so much better.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I watched GOTG 3 last weekend and I thought the score was TERRIBLE. Not just bad but absolutely godawful, to the point it really hurt the movie. 

Murphy's work on The Suicide Squad wasn't that bad, but Guardians 3 made me feel worried for what the score for Superman will be. Gunn should've stuck with Tyler Bates, who, unlike Murphy, provided a real quality score filled with a lot of emotion for Guardians 2.

I think this concept is watered down to the point even John Williams returning would not inject any excitement into this. I think we should just accept these things don't feel like events anymore. It's energy wasted. 😆

Karol

EXCLUSIVE: We are hearing that DC Studios is planning to test actresses soon to star in Supergirl, and that Milly Alcock, Emilia Jones and Meg Donnelly are in the mix.

There is a chance the studio could make a straight offer to a star, but all things are pointing toward screen tests for actresses, which will go down within the next month or so, we hear.

Source: https://deadline.com/2024/01/supergirl-milly-alcock-emilia-jones-meg-donnelly-1235711427/

For those who don't remember, Alcock got famous for playing young princess Rhaenyra Targaryen in House of the Dragon.

Always wanted to do a Superman or Batman movie but you were afraid of Warner Brothers's legal department? Your problems are over! All you need to do is to wait until the mid-2030s

Superman and Lois Lane will enter the public domain in 2034, followed by Batman in 2035, the Joker in 2036 and Wonder Woman in 2037.

https://variety.com/2024/biz/news/superman-batman-copyrights-expire-dc-public-domain-superheroes-wonder-woman-1235875386/

12 minutes ago, batmatt92 said:

As expected...

CDN media

Just looked at his discography.

Not a single thing I care about anywhere in there.

This Superman movie isn't going to dethrone Christopher Reeve, I reckon.