Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies (2015)

crocodile

I can't believe this. A Spielberg movie without a Williams score just seems so wrong. This is very sad. Not just because it will mean one less John Williams score but because the long, institution-like collaboration between the two is partially broken. Clearly this is not anybody's fault. JW must take care of his health, but this is still shocking and unsettling. Thomas Newman is a great composer, though. I wish him well.

Now that the disappointment of John Williams leaving has subsided, I'm pretty excited to see what Spielberg brings out of Thomas Newman.

I actually fully agree with you

According to the liner notes on Twilight Zone: The Movie, I think it said Joe Dante collaborated with Goldsmith over the entire film.

Goldsmith also made a lot of sense because he had written many of the twilight zone tv show's memorable scores.

I feel the same way when I knew that Quincy Jones was scoring "TCP": sick to my stomach.

I need to check my callender. is it April 1st...or is it the beginning of the end..?

This is no fantasy... no careless product of wild imagination. No, my good friends. These facts that I have brought you today...specific press release facts listed herein against the individuals...their acts of treason, their ultimate aim of sedition. These are matters of undeniable fact. I ask you now to pronounce judgment on those accused: on this, this mindless aberration, whose only means of expression is causing wanton depression among JWfans and their ultimate destruction. You have heard the evidence. The decision of the Council will now be heard.

That is one less JW score we will be getting.

I feel the same way when I knew that Quincy Jones was scoring "TCP": sick to my stomach.

I need to check my callender. is it April 1st...or is it the beginning of the end..?

This is no fantasy... no careless product of wild imagination. No, my good friends. These facts that I have brought you today...specific press release facts listed herein against the individuals...their acts of treason, their ultimate aim of sedition. These are matters of undeniable fact. I ask you now to pronounce judgment on those accused: on this, this mindless aberration, whose only means of expression is causing wanton depression among JWfans and their ultimate destruction. You have heard the evidence. The decision of the Council will now be heard.

That is one less JW score we will be getting.

:lol:

The film-makers' decision must be unamimous, Mr. Speilberg. You alone may condenm us if you wish, and you alone will be held responsible by JWfan.

Of course the headline was a minor shock, but in the end I think it is a good solution. I had no high expections for the score (lots of brooding underscore),while BFG seems to offer more options for a thematically rich, variied, romantic Williams score (and I prefer those). And I think Newman is not named general successor by this, but just the fitting replacement for this specific film. If JW would have to be replaced in BFG, he might have chosen someone else.

I wanted to ask couldn't they just stall the movie for 1-2 months?

Is it that urgent to get released?

I mean Spielberg prefers to use another composer after all these years, than wait a bit?

Something is not right....

Film productions cost millions of dollars and it becomes very expensive when they go over schedule.

It migt have been different if JW had the health issue while he has actually scoring BOS, since studio's are probably insured for that.

It's nice to see John Williams is using Cremers' 2nd law.

Alex

Please list your Laws.

I can't wait to see this year's April Fools prank.

John Williams to score Bridge of Spies

:lol:

This is no laughing matter Jason. This is serious!

There is one thing in all that which I can make no sense of: the timing.

About two weeks ago, they announced Williams as composer.

Now they announced a minor health issue and that this is also already corrected.

Such a replacement decision included. Two weeks. And that "Interrupted schedule" is a very muddy wording.

Hard to make sense of this.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=108670&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=7&r=816#bottom

:blink:

If that is the case, it certainly sounds weird.

In 2 weeks Williams managed to get sick, and get well, and be replaced??

He was never ANNOUNCED as the composer! Yesterday's press release is the FIRST official announcer of who is composing this film.

All that happened before was that I NOTICED that the film was added to his PDF resume on his agency's website, and started the threads about it here and on FSM, which lead to the main page post, which led to other websites reporting he was officially confirmed.

Now, this article DOES indicate that he was originally supposed to score it, but he was NEVER OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED BY THE STUDIO prior to yesterday.

Maybe whoever put the film on his PDF wasn't supposed to. Who knows.

A movie scored by John Williams has two life. It will be seen by those who will be interrested by the movie itself, and it will be seen by those who will want to discover the movie, because of the music of John Williams.

Then, I'm pretty sure that, event those days, a John Williams album sells more than any other composer.

A Spielberg movie scored by Thomas Newman? Less people will see the movie, and the number of albums sold will be deceiving.

Mister Spielberg, you really couldn't wait?

Please boycott this movie.

A movie scored by John Williams has two life. It will be seen by those who will be interrested by the movie itself, and it will be seen by those who will want to discover the movie, because of the music of John Williams.

Then, I'm pretty sure that, event those days, a John Williams album sells more than any other composer.

A Spielberg movie scored by Thomas Newman? Less people will see the movie, and the number of albums sold will be deceiving.

That is a silly, and very fanboy-like reaction to these events.

What if the schedule could not be moved? A lot of people are making assumptions. But we actually dont have any facts.

And boycotting this film because Williams isnt scoring it it simply ridiculous.

I too am sad that Spielberg wasn't willing or able to adjust the film's post-production schedule to accommodate his originally selected composer, who is also the one he's been using for 41 years and 27 films. But we don't know the whole story. There is surely more to it than a simply press release indicates.

No. That's ridiculous.

Williams is 15 years older than Spielberg is. There was always going to come a time when Spielberg films came out that weren't scored by Williams.

Spielberg is 15 years older than Williams is. There was always going to come a time when Spielberg films came out that weren't scored by Williams.

It is the other way around with the age but otherwise you are correct.

I appreciate that the press release also mentioned that Williams will be returning to score The BFG. It does soften the blow a little.

To be honest, if I could have only one score, I'd choose The BFG over Bridge of Spies but it is still an awful shame he wasn't able to score Bridge of Spies.

I suggest everyone to avoid making any kind of paranoid conspiracy theories about this.

I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make for both Williams and Spielberg. And I'm sure everyone involved tried to find any solution available to let Williams work on the score as peacefully as he always does with his pal Steven. But given circumstances, I think they both arrived at this decision with peace and no hard feelings. Another thing almost nobody here seems to take into account is that maybe EpVII schedule is the "culprit" of this situation--maybe the film is being re-edited to the point Williams has to rewrite some of it and he needs extra time with it, so he had to back off from Spielberg's film. Again, the man is 83, he probably doesn't write as fast as he did in previous busy years and he also has to be careful about his health. Yet, he still has the energy and will to face a demanding project (plus he has upcoming concerts planned), but of course he needs to be careful overall.

In the end, the film industry and its peculiarities (release dates set years before, production schedules, marketing campaigns etc.) is still stronger than everything else.

I've not seen a Spielberg movie since Indy 4, so I have no problem skipping this one too.

Typo, obviously meant to type TinTin. I was remembering theatrical movies. I watched Tin Tin on Netflix.

Typo, obviously meant to type tINTIN.

I still make an effort to see every Williams-scored movie in the cinema. The only one I've missed since I really got into the hobby was Memoirs of a Geisha. For whatever reason never saw that one until blu ray.

War Horse is pretty nice, I actually liked it. Not for everyone, but it's got its fair share of breath-taking scenes.

And Lincoln is quite good too, I was actually surprised how restrained it is, for Spielberg. It's got his most delicate and intimate camera work ever. No fancy shots, but it's still great filmmaking. Still, it's a very particular film, not for everyone, for different reasons than Horse.

I find myself going back to Tintin every now and again, I can't get enough of the pirate scenes. I can feel it's something Spielberg had in his head for long looong time. It's amazing. I think I like the score for this one best, but they're all quite solid, sadly underrated around here.

I think I like the score for this one best, but they're all quite solid, sadly underrated around here.

That reminds me of a thread I need to bump!

You know, we're sort of looking for some big reasons in here.

Honestly, though, it can be only that his family/kids requested that he doesn't overwork himself after some minor health incident. Can be something as simple as that.

What if the schedule could not be moved? A lot of people are making assumptions. But we actually dont have any facts.

I suggest everyone to avoid making any kind of paranoid conspiracy theories about this.

This is what I'm thinking. It's typical for folks like us to get our speculation mills cranking as soon as we hear news like this. But that's all it is: pure speculation. They haven't given us all the details—to some degree because, quite frankly, it's none of our business (particularly as it may concern Mr. Williams' health).

It sucks, to be sure, but it is what it is . . . and we don't know exactly what it is.

Meet Joe Black is a great score. As I recall, Spielberg had Williams rip off Fifth Ave for the Terminal score.

Shawshank Redemption sounded like SPR, before SPR.

Tintin is a good film, loads better than Indy 4.

It's the proper Indy 4.

There is one thing in all that which I can make no sense of: the timing.

About two weeks ago, they announced Williams as composer.

Now they announced a minor health issue and that this is also already corrected.

Such a replacement decision included. Two weeks. And that "Interrupted schedule" is a very muddy wording.

Hard to make sense of this.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=108670&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=7&r=816#bottom

:blink:

If that is the case, it certainly sounds weird.

In 2 weeks Williams managed to get sick, and get well, and be replaced??

Oh, no! It's "Torn Curtain" all over again. I can't help thinking that something is not quite right...

(...) boycotting this film because Williams isnt scoring it it simply ridiculous.

Ok, ok... I will not boycott the movie, I will just hope that Spielberg will reject Newman's score. ;)

For all the flack that Zimmer and his fans get here, I don't think you'd see them calling for boycotts or score rejections because he didn't get a project. Disgraceful, and a shame for John that he seems to engender this sort of rabid, radical attitude.

For all the flack that Zimmer and his fans get here, I don't think you'd see them calling for boycotts or score rejections because he didn't get a project.

That's because he gets all the projects he wants!