Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

I know this particular topic is a bit silly with nothing more than release date info, but I thought I would bring it up again now. ;)

It's all contingent on who will direct JP4. If someone like Brad Bird or JJ Abrams signed on to do it, then Michael Giacchino would be a no-brainer to score it. I'm pretty sure he would love to return to that world again, only this time being able to use Williams' themes.

Are we really creaming our jeans over a film that has not even been written, yet?

Actually, Amanda Silver & Rick Jaffa wrote the current draft of the script. I think whenever Spielberg's pleased with a script, that's when the studio gets the okay to set the release date and get the ball rolling. All they need now is a director and start casting.

Outside of a few questionable uses of Williams' JP theme and a cheesy family theme, I thought Don Davis did an excellent job with the rest of the score. Certainly some of the better action music I've heard.

Outside of a few questionable uses of Williams' JP theme and a cheesy family theme, I thought Don Davis did an excellent job with the rest of the score. Certainly some of the better action music I've heard.

I agree. At least Davis' score is much more interesting than the generic sound Giacchino produced for the TLW game.

If WIlliams couldn't do it, I would like a composer with potential for lyricism and musical wit, like Andrew Lockington, Jorge Arriagado, Jan Kaczmarek, Edward Shearmur.

I agree. I didn't dislike the family theme, nor the uses of JW's JP themes, but I agree Davis did a wonderful job on JP3. Even with a rushed schedule, he was up to par. Too bad he's pretty much out of a job now.

I agree. I didn't dislike the family theme, nor the uses of JW's JP themes, but I agree Davis did a wonderful job on JP3. Even with a rushed schedule, he was up to par. Too bad he's pretty much out of a job now.

It looks like he's taken a break from film scoring to work on concert and opera music. He's also still active as a conductor.

I wasn't a fan of his changes to JW's themes (among those being the change to the 8th note - going down a note instead of playing it twice) and yeah, his family material was about as cheesy and formulaic as it gets.

I also thought his action material ranged from slightly messy - such as the climactic underwater scenes - to absolutely amazing - such as the plane take-off/attack and pteranodon sequences. But I'd say that exact thing about Williams' action music anyway.

If they don't bring him back, not sure who I'd like to score this really.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118064552/

Spielberg "may" direct, reportedly. Which would be a contradiction since he said at the end of last year that he's "done" with action movies, but with Robopocalypse on the back-burner he's suddenly got time to kill - a bit like how Bob Zemekis did while Tom Hanks got Skinny for the second half of Castaway (and so made What Lies Beneath in the meantime), so perhaps Spielberg might fancy one last dance, who knows.

In related news: Thor's head explodes!

It looks like he's taken a break from film scoring to work on concert and opera music. He's also still active as a conductor.

That was years ago! He's done his big opera and he's been trying to get a film scoring gig for years now. Unfortunately, his absence has left him behind in the industry. He's struggling to get a film under his wing.

Universal is saying it will come out next year. Who's directing? Who's starring in it?

We all know that Spielberg shoots quickly and that he just abandoned the Robo whatever movie. Is he doing it?

Re-using JW's material for JP and TLW, including unused material, might be the best way to do it. I wish they'd done a similar thing with Deathly Hallows.

Davis went on a big rant about how much he hated the third film anyway, I don't see him getting back in with Spielberg anytime soon.

He did?

Davis went on a big rant about how much he hated the third film anyway, I don't see him getting back in with Spielberg anytime soon.

Really? I remember him saying he had a lot of fun with it.

Universal is saying it will come out next year. Who's directing? Who's starring in it?

We all know that Spielberg shoots quickly and that he just abandoned the Robo whatever movie. Is he doing it?

No. It'll be a director who can prep, shoot fast, and shoot 3D (which means digital cameras). They'll announce the director within the next two months... they have to start shooting by this summer in order to make that June 2014 date.

It'll be weird not seeing 'Creature Effects by Stan Winston Studios' in the end credits, though...

He did?

If he did, then it's amazing what composers can produce even if they think the film is rubbish. Similar to Goldsmith hating The Mummy.

Re-using JW's material for JP and TLW, including unused material, might be the best way to do it. I wish they'd done a similar thing with Deathly Hallows.

I wish Davis had quoted more TLW in the first place. It was the same island, after all.

He did?

If he did, then it's amazing what composers can produce even if they think the film is rubbish. Similar to Goldsmith hating The Mummy.

:blink: I always thought it sounded like he had great fun scoring it!

I wish Davis had quoted more TLW in the first place. It was the same island, after all.

Yes, for some reason composers often prefer their own material over the continuity of a series, even if it is a bad choice. Some directors apparantly don't have enough authority (or insight?) to prevent this from happening.

Maybe Joe Johnston wanted more of the music quoted from the first film, instead of the second one.

I never have heard about Davis ranting on how bad he hated scoring Jurassic Park III. I do remember reading an article at one point that Williams was to busy with another film and he said Davis was a good choice.

He did?

Along with being on a tight and rushed schedule.

I wasn't aware either were composed under a particularly tight schedule? Is is now considered news for a composer to be given the time they actually need to write?

I guess that they know their work will be heard and evaluated separately from the film, and that their reputation/fanbase will suffer if they do inferior work.

I remember reading once Leonard Roseman slamming the Bakshi LOTR film he scored. I loved that score as a kid, it was one of the first soundtrack records I bought after Star Wars.

I still think the main theme theme is beautiful, and there are couple other nice moments here and there, but for the most part I find listening to now it a jarring experience and parts of it keep reminding me of Star Trek IV. Which is ironic because the first time I saw Fellowship of the Ring I remember wanting hear Roseman's themes. That lasted about 5 minutes.

I wasn't aware either were composed under a particularly tight schedule? Is is now considered news for a composer to be given the time they actually need to write?

If I recall correctly, JP3's score was composed very late in the game. Not sure about The Mummy; however.

I just remember him saying the film was dumb.

Karol

I recall him saying that it was a 'piece of shit' in a pre-concert talk in 2003. He scored quite a few of those!

If I recall correctly, JP3's score was composed very late in the game. Not sure about The Mummy; however.

If I remember correctly the amount of music required for 'The Mummy' increased suddenly and substantially, resulting in a last-minute rush to write more cues.