MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT (2018) - Film & Score

Damien F

I’m amazed at how flaccid this music sounds. It’s anemic by the standards of modern film music. There’s no satisfying bite or punch. The massive sound is rather mellow. No attack. Unsatisfying. 

2/10. At least get a real modern composer if you want a real modern score. 

The Savas brothers rates this higher than Powell’s Star Wars?!? It’s a good thing I’m not a visitor of their site. 

Kramer, or whatever the hell his name is, the guy who only writes orchestral spy scores had some of the most satisfying and punchy soundscapes in orchestral history in the last film.

Budget Zimmer over here can’t get it up. Lesson learned: if you want Zimmer, hire Zimmer. 

On 7/30/2018 at 4:46 AM, Nick Parker said:

His brother.

Hopefully he doesn’t also listen to music on laptop speakers.

From the FSM thread

La-La Land Records Bonus Tracks:

1. Plutonium Trade (2:54)
2. As Ugly As They Come (2:26)
3. Framing Ethan (2:01)
4. Je Suis Désolé (1:06)
5. Trapped (3:26)
6. This Mission Is Terminated (2:10)

~ 15 minutes of music.

1 minute ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

They knew what they were doing back then.

29 is such an ugly number though. When I have a score with 29 tracks (Homeward Bound, Nightmare Before Christmas, John Barry's King Kong), I combine a track or two, just because I hate the number 29. 

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

29 is such an ugly number though. When I have a score with 29 tracks (Homeward Bound, Nightmare Before Christmas, John Barry's King Kong), I combine a track or two, just because I hate the number 29. 

unnamed_(37).gif

12 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

The Savas brothers rates this higher than Powell’s Star Wars?!? It’s a good thing I’m not a visitor of their site. 

One Savas has. I’ve made no mention of my opinion of the score. 

6 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Then put a one-minute track of silence at the end of every four albums and call it "Leap Track".

The past two weeks on Twitter, paraphrased:

Some people: "The Fallout score is trash." - OK

Balfe: "You don't like aspects of the Fallout score because your ears are full of wax and you can't hear properly." - OK

Me: "The score sounds mixed oddly like samples and it detracts enjoyment. Regardless of my thoughts on the score, it would sound better if the orchestra was mixed and recorded more organically." - EVERYONE LOSES THEIR MINDS

9 hours ago, Drew said:

The past two weeks on Twitter, paraphrased:

Some people: "The Fallout score is trash." - OK

Balfe: "You don't like aspects of the Fallout score because your ears are full of wax and you can't hear properly." - OK

Me: "The score sounds mixed oddly like samples and it detracts enjoyment. Regardless of my thoughts on the score, it would sound better if the orchestra was mixed and recorded more organically." - EVERYONE LOSES THEIR MINDS

I, for one, appreciate your efforts to call out the current wave of composers, such as RCP and their drones, on their mediocrity, whether it be in composition, orchestration, or mixing...it's a thankless job, but I'm glad you're here to do it....  ;-)

I don’t get why so many people here have to really hate scores from composers they don’t like. It’s a weird behaviour. Trashing people’s work that they’ve been working on for 9 months is just disgusting. Would Soundtrack memes really say this to Lorne’s face?

To be honest, the score worked quite well in the film. It's not necessarily a Mission: Impossible film and score that I wanted but it fits the Nolanesque tone of the film.

Karol

12 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, but you could describe the entire film as such. Gone is the wit and light touch. It was well made but tiresome to watch.

Karol

Agreed.  Very well executed, the action sequences truly are something to behold, but it’s not my ideal of what an M:I movie should be, personally.

On 8/4/2018 at 4:44 PM, Drew said:

I would say that Balfe was the initial aggressor in the conversation. His first reply showed that he misread the poll question (what the listeners heard even though we all knew it was a real orchestra). He then dodged my points by claiming that my headphones were not sufficient and that some listeners had wax in our ears. You guys are misinterpreting me as being nasty, but he evidently kept not understanding my questions, and thus I kept having to rephrase them repeatedly...

Also, 36.4 people is not the same as 36.4 percent... 😛

Then, I tested the waters with another score that surely wouldn't still make people go crazy (and legitimately sounds like it is performed on dated samples)...

And look who brought Balfe back for another round:

I'm just trying to have a conversation about the way these scores are mixed and everyone is losing their minds.

What points are you making? You’re not talking about recording or mixing techniques. You’re hosting a poll on Twitter, of all places. Go to the VI Control forums and talk to the gear heads there. 

It’s a yes or no question. How or why is not asked. If that’s what you want to know, that’s fine, but like I said no conversation is being had. Throwing out a statistic of your poll doesn’t really mean anything either. Ask Balfe what techniques or gear he used instead. 

Balfe explained the techniques. The sections of the orchestra were recorded separately, sometimes in different studios, and then mixed together into a final product. Doing so much editing around and having sections come from different sources emulates the kind of techniques used to assemble a sampled orchestra.

Just now, Koray Savas said:

Cool, so what’s the issue?

There is no reason that it should sound sampled when there was a huge orchestra. Yet, it does to many people. It seems like a waste of time, money, and effort.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Drew, you cannot have a decimal number of people voting yes. It's either 36 or 37. ;)

Hehe yeah I was a little perplexed by that too. It appears that Twitter must round to the nearest percent, so while taking 40% of 91 total voters (presumably what Drew did!) gets you 36.4 voters the actual percent must not have been exactly 40%, obviously throwing off the final number. 

59 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

But if the composer wants the orchestra to sound like that it’s not an issue.

What? If it sounds rubbish, even after following the composer's wishes, then it's definitely still an 'issue'.

Of course, it may be a case of Balfe following director's orders, in which case he's not entirely responsible for how the score sounds. But the scope of the score release suggests to me that he probably doesn't have a problem with the direction he took, therefore our right to criticise it is not diminished.

Another way to put that: McQuarrie wanted the RCP sound, Balfe delivered. Many people think it sounds rubbish, and a few people here won't accept that fact, and are using the 'it serves the film' thing to excuse Balfe for not writing a particularly great score.

5 hours ago, Drew said:

There is no reason that it should sound sampled when there was a huge orchestra. Yet, it does to many people. It seems like a waste of time, money, and effort.

Is it your time, money, or effort? No? Then who cares? Don’t see the movie. And if your poll is any sort of reliable measure (which it isn’t) then a minority of people think it sounds that way. Internet’s full of a bunch of entitled folks, it’s grating. This is one of the best reviewed action films in years, so prepare for more Lorne Balfe blockbusters and more scores sounding this way. 

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Is it your time, money, or effort? No? Then who cares?

Maybe the listeners that were disappointed because they were expecting something better-sounding from 100 strings and 40 brass players?