Jump to content

The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection from La-La Land MUSIC Discussion


Jay
 Share

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, seriously. I suspect all copies that have a yellow obi are the original Japanese release and come with the booklet.

 

I'm quite familiar with Japanese CD release practices, having been in Japan many times. It's got nothing to do with the packaging. It's just that they used to include these additional Japanese-only booklets for major blockbuster releases, for their first few print runs.... They've gotten pretty rare, but they still sometimes do that, for example for Star Wars and the like.

 

But they won't keep doing that for movies that are 25 years old! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

 

I'm quite familiar with Japanese CD release practices, having been in Japan many times. It's got nothing to do with the packaging. It's just that they used to include these additional Japanese-only booklets for major blockbuster releases, for their first few print runs.... They've gotten pretty rare, but they still sometimes do that, for example for Star Wars and the like.

 

But they won't keep doing that for movies that are 25 years old! 

 

I've bought several Japanese releases of western classical albums, and they often do come with a separate flimsy Japanese booklet that contains only characters and no images, while the usual booklet is a stripped down version whose task is to display the front cover image and hold the smaller Japanese booklet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's what I don't understand.  When you realized your CD is scratched and wanted to buy a replacement, why did you throw away the packaging and booklet too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Here's hoping! Maybe someone else should buy the others to increase our chances. Lol.

 

 

If you really want the booklet, you need to go on the auction sites like ebay and try to get the actual Japanese releases from back then... If necessary contacting the seller and asking them about the additional booklet. Otherwise chances are pretty slim, I'd say. 

 

 

 

 

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Here's what I don't understand.  When you realized your CD is scratched and wanted to buy a replacement, why did you throw away the packaging and booklet too?

 

Already explained that... 

 

10 hours ago, Josh500 said:

 

I wish I still had that booklet, but I lost it many years ago, of course. Hell, that was almost a quarter of a century ago, I was in my early teens! 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

If you really want the booklet, you need to go on the auction sites like ebay and try to get the actual Japanese releases from back then... If necessary contacting the seller and asking them about the additional booklet. Otherwise chances are pretty slim, I'd say. 

 

:D Maybe I should've waited until you said that first. Lol. I'll message the seller and see what they say

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Also, ask about the aspect ratio.

 

Will do. This better be in the original aspect ratio. I don't want to be missing the sides of the orchestra or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TSMefford said:

 

:D Maybe I should've waited until you said that first. Lol. I'll message the seller and see what they say

 

Well, just getting the brand-new TLW soundtrack is nice too! 

 

And don't get your hopes too high regarding new information in the booklet, even if you should get it... I'm sure we all already know what there is to know. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about that limited jewel case edition of the soundtrack that was bundled with a DVD or something? Does that have any booklet notes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about that limited jewel case edition of the soundtrack that was bundled with a DVD or something? Does that have any booklet notes?

I have that set, I think it just has a fold out poster with images...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am sorry if this has been answered before, I can't seem to find it browsing through this thread: what are the differences between Welcome to Jurassic Park and its Film Version counterpart?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I am sorry if this has been answered before, I can't seem to find it browsing through this thread: what are the differences between Welcome to Jurassic Park and its Film Version counterpart?

 

Just a different take, I believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I think there was some slightly different edit along the way too.

I can't say I could notice anything materially different between them - there certainly isn't a moment when it suddenly diverges into anything appreciably new. To be fair there isn't much in the way of alternate material for either score. I don't know if that's because it doesn't exist or there wasn't space (or both!).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, blondheim said:

I am sorry if this has been answered before, I can't seem to find it browsing through this thread: what are the differences between Welcome to Jurassic Park and its Film Version counterpart?

 

Slightly different take at one point, slightly different edit point somewhere too. It's honestly so imperceptible, it's not worth trying to find it or keeping both on a playlist. I think it mostly gave the album a "big finish" instead of ending on a bonus track. 

 

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

To be fair there isn't much in the way of alternate material for either score. I don't know if that's because it doesn't exist or there wasn't space (or both!).

 

The new opening 14 seconds of the Lost World concert arrangement is the only alternate recorded for either score.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

 

Slightly different take at one point, slightly different edit point somewhere too. It's honestly so imperceptible, it's not worth trying to find it or keeping both on a playlist. I think it mostly gave the album a "big finish" instead of ending on a bonus track.

 

I figured that's what it was. I was listening to the set again and I couldn't hear any difference without timestamping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today's the day...it's not in yet, but it will be arriving in a couple hours. I would sure love to find a booklet inside!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, blondheim said:

What a nice little collector's item. I'm jealous.

 

Honestly, it is very nice. It was sealed so everything inside was untouched. The disc is still wrapped up in foam as well. Even without the booklet it would've been a nice find, but with it- it's fantastic. 

 

An impulse buy that really worked out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, if we can get a good translation, we have some new Williams quotes about the score. I don't see where it mentions anything about difficult recording sessions, though. I guess that must have come from some other source after all?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TSMefford said:

 

Honestly, it is very nice. It was sealed so everything inside was untouched. The disc is still wrapped up in foam as well. Even without the booklet it would've been a nice find, but with it- it's fantastic. 

 

An impulse buy that really worked out.

So nice when that happens. I order classical releases from Japan all the time because they just know what they're doing over there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

So, if we can get a good translation, we have some new Williams quotes about the score. I don't see where it mentions anything about difficult recording sessions, though. I guess that must have come from some other source after all?

 

Well there's a bit at the end about him talking about it being very hard work, so perhaps that is it? Honestly it's so hard to tell what is even being said due to the questionable translation. Lol. I'll have to try some other sites and see if I get better results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

You can probably find a Japanese speaker to translate on fiver.com or one of those sites 

 

Great idea. I'll see if I can go that route.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

You can probably find a Japanese speaker to translate on fiver.com or one of those sites 

Aren't there people who do translations for video game track titles that could also be turned to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.