John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

Wow! 10 cinemas in and around Berlin are showing this.

The organisation behind this one-off cinema event has published all the background info-files here:

https://nordpolaris.de/film/john-williams-liveinvienna/

17 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

And less engaged. Also, it's hilarious how he told ASM that the VPO didn't have any issues playing his music at all.

And then there were these Paganiniesque Hedwig runs with pizzicati which were quite stressful.

24 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I do have to say I prefer Vienna's slower rendition of the first part of the JP theme, except for the horn mistake that is.

Horn mistake?

You sure it's at 1:54? because I don't hear anything. The horns are a little delayed, and they have that Vienna buzz, but those are the notes of the melody.

13 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Around 1:54. The horn should play an F and plays a D. A real shame as the others are really playing beautifully.

Ok. I thought you meant the intro which was fixed. I still prefer the Vienna version of JP over Berlin. Johnny was a bit too engaged with the tempo in the "Theme" part in Berlin.

2 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

You sure it's at 1:54? because I don't hear anything. The horns are a little delayed, and they have that Vienna buzz, but those are the notes of the melody.

Sorry, 1:56.

The preparations for the birthday celebration begin.

Filmkomponist John Williams - Heldengalerie | Bildquelle: © Collage BR / Nadja Pfeiffer

The major German (Bavarian) classical radio station "BRKlassik" are broadcasting:

February 6 2022 (1 h report and music)

BR-KLASSIK - Cinema - Kino für die Ohren: Happy Birthday, John Williams! | Radio | BR-KLASSIK | Bayerischer Rundfunk

February 8 2022 - The Berlin Concert (what else? - sorry, wrong thread)

BR-KLASSIK - Konzertabend | Radio | BR-KLASSIK | Bayerischer Rundfunk

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Has the Bavarian Radio SO ever played Williams' music? Will it this time?

Rattle will be doing some open-air Williams and Korngold this summer (Munich, Odeonsplatz) with BRSO.

Klassik am Odeonsplatz - Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks (br-so.de)

Klassik am Odeonsplatz | Das große Klassikereignis des Münchner Sommers 2022 (klassik-am-odeonsplatz.de)

16 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I think the Berlin strings and flutes are better.

No way. Just listen to the solo flute in Dartmoor on the Vienna album. Or the flute section's staccati in Imperial March. Or the juicy dense string sound in JP Theme or E.T. or Close Encounters. Berlin doesn't have that quality in their JW concerts. Actually the only advantage I would give Berlin over Vienna is that they have a higher discipline when it comes to following the metronome. And if that is a quality or a (musical) shortcoming is a whole other discussion. Vienna has a tradition of playing marches like a tipsy soldier who wants to be an opera singer, always with an ounce of anti-militarism. Berlin on the other hand has the prussian military no-nonsense tradition. ;) 

26 minutes ago, Lord Montague said:

Just listen to the solo flute in Dartmoor on the Vienna album. Or the flute section's staccati in Imperial March. Or the juicy dense string sound in JP Theme or E.T. or Close Encounters.

Or Jaws...

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Or the fantastic flute runs in Jurassic Park in Berlin.

What about it? At least as well played in Vienna. and those are scales. not the ultimate measure of musicality, only mere technical ability. Which both orchestras have as a foundation. That's a given on that top orchestra level.
But listen to the Horn solo at 3:00 in Vienna. 2:50 in Berlin. Weak in Berlin. Sounding smaller than the harp which has only written piano, the horn has mezzoforte.  Wrong balance. In Vienna the balance is right, and the horn phrases much better. (the balance might also have to do with the mixing)

Then those flute runs (a side theme, main theme in trumpets etc.). 3:30 in Vienna recording. Better balanced in Vienna, and trumpets in Vienna more musical phrasing! And what's up with the harp in the Berlin recording? Unnaturally loud and in front of everything.
And the whole lower brass in those bars. Much better balanced in Vienna.

Then when the violins come in with the theme (3:50 Vienna, 3:38 Berlin), such a sweet and full and golden sound in Vienna, with good phrasing. In Berlin thin and boring in comparison.
The more I do listening comparisons between the two recordings, I tend to favour Vienna and their sound and musicality.

or here...
strings coming in at 0:45. Where are they? Sounding quite weak and dull, compared to how active they look.

On 05/02/2022 at 5:29 PM, Lord Montague said:

People who were in the first concert in Berlin said it was not so good and the third was much better. It always gets more relaxing for anyone on stage the more concerts there are.

I was at the first and third concerts, and the rehearsal. All of them were great, the orchestra got better and better, but Williams was very relaxed throughout it all.

@Lord Montague What about the effect of the hall and the recording engineer or the mix on the music... It's not all about the players. Claiming that the Vienna Phil were more inspired and had more ambition than the Berliners is in my opinion a disservice to the Berlin Phil. They gave their all to JW.

48 minutes ago, heritage said:

Thats ridiculous to say the VP were more inspired and had more ambition than the BP. This is the exclusive opinion from Lord Montague. Allmost all critics see it completely different...

Berlin was better on every level. Period. Thread can be locked now.

1 hour ago, Remco said:

@Lord Montague What about the effect of the hall and the recording engineer or the mix on the music... It's not all about the players. Claiming that the Vienna Phil were more inspired and had more ambition than the Berliners is in my opinion a disservice to the Berlin Phil. They gave their all to JW.

Were you at both concerts, Vienna and Berlin? I was, and to me the Wiener were all together better and more ambitious and having fun too. Berlin had some players who loved it apparently, but a lot of dead wood too, and academists placed on key wind positions. (they did relatively well, but such is rude behavior by the orchestra to a great master like JW.)

Clearly Berlin Phil DIDN'T give THEIR ALL. They were half hearted opportunists. You have to witness them with their chief Petrenko sometimes, then you know what it means when that orchestra gives their all.

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Berlin was better on every level. Period. Thread can be locked now.

Haha, then you have no ears.
Also check the poll. Apparently I'm not the only one who overall liked Vienna better. 
Of course we don't have to have this comparison at all, both concert series can stand on their own, if not trolls like you and Jurassic Shark constantly have to bicker about it.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I might only have one working ear right now, but at least I have a sense of tempo and I'm also able play the Star Wars main title on my keyboard without getting completely lost after five seconds due to the incredibly uncomplex speed.

ok, you can play it on your keyboard. I rest my case. hahaha.

5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Have you EVER heard an orchestra fuck that picece up like the VPO did? Or the end of ET? Or the beginning of Hook? The horns literally miss their first ever note!

Sorry but you are just a troll. What a ridiculous comment.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Very mature response. Look, I totally understand that you might prefer the sound of the VPO to the BPO, but you just cannot objectively state that the VPO was better. I am obviously not including Mutter in all these complaints. I do not care how culturally important Vienna thinks it is. Their performance was not good. The moment things got complex, they failed. Over and over again. The Boston Pops did a better job on every piece.

Utterly bullshit, sorry. But each to their own.