So Ridley Scott is directing a Gladiator sequel...

Muad'Dib

31 minutes ago, Brónach said:

they could just... make a unrelated movie about emperors.

Yes, a multitude of emperors fighting it out at the Circus Maximus.

5c96538c51233282322665caf2864f73-1.jpg

Rotten Tomatoes: 24%

• 7 months later...

Whoa. Zimmer would have been best, of course, but HGW ain't a bad substitute. KINGDOM OF HEAVEN is almost on GLADIATOR level, after all.

At this point, however, I do wonder if something has happened to the Scott/Zimmer relationship, or whether there are other issues (that they can't afford him, for example, or scheduling conflicts). Last time they worked together was MATCHSTICK MEN a whopping 21(!) years ago.

Great news, hopefully HGW is bringing his "A" game, which would make an excellent score.

As for what you're saying about the Scott-Zimmer relationship, the same can be said about the Nolan-Zimmer relationship. 

6 minutes ago, JTW said:

As for what you,re saying about the Scott-Zimmer relationship, the same can be said about the Nolan-Zimmer relationship. 

Yeah. It's as if Zimmer goes from one visionary director to the next in particular periods of his career. Early in his career, if was directors like Nicolas Roeg. Later it was Ron Howard (OK, not so visionary, but anyway), Scott and Nolan. These days, it seems to be Villeneuve. But he still goes back to some old friends, like Howard on HILLBILLY ELEGY (2020) or Barry Levinson of RAIN MAN fame on THE SURVIVOR (2021). So can't really draw any conclusions based on that either.

On 15/11/2023 at 7:59 PM, Mr. Who said:

I'm really exited for the score by HGW! It's a shame that he didn't do Equalizer 3 and Napoleon but at least we have this one to look forward to! If Zimmer doesn't do Gladiator 2 (fingers crossed), then I hope HGW gets the gig as his collaborations with Ridley are always interesting.

Hot dog, we have a wiener

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Whoa. Zimmer would have been best, of course, but HGW ain't a bad substitute. KINGDOM OF HEAVEN is almost on GLADIATOR level, after all.

At this point, however, I do wonder if something has happened to the Scott/Zimmer relationship, or whether there are other issues (that they can't afford him, for example, or scheduling conflicts). Last time they worked together was MATCHSTICK MEN a whopping 21(!) years ago.

I never bought what happened with Zimmer on Kingdom of Heaven, 

If anyone remembers, Zimmer was suppose to score Kingdom of Heaven. But then he & RGW switched projects and Zimmer composed some animated film over KOH. 

They had a falling out for sure. He went from Ridley’s composer to never working with him again.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah. It's as if Zimmer goes from one visionary director to the next in particular periods of his career. Early in his career, if was directors like Nicolas Roeg. Later it was Ron Howard (OK, not so visionary, but anyway), Scott and Nolan. These days, it seems to be Villeneuve. But he still goes back to some old friends, like Howard on HILLBILLY ELEGY (2020) or Barry Levinson of RAIN MAN fame on THE SURVIVOR (2021). So can't really draw any conclusions based on that either.

He’s also scoring Ron Howard’s next movie Eden.

7 hours ago, Mr. Gitz said:

They had a falling out for sure. He went from Ridley’s composer to never working with him again.

Maybe Zimmer just became too expensive for Scott.

9 hours ago, Mr. Gitz said:

But then he & RGW switched projects and Zimmer composed some animated film over KOH

Was it Madagascar? It came out a few weeks after KoH and it had a Zimmer score.

• 2 months later...

Ridley Scott achieved almost everything artistically that you can achieve as a film director, except directing a good prequel/sequel.

In that area so far he failed dramatically each time (Hannibal, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant).

Again: Sorry to hear that he won't be returning, but it was all expected. At least there wasn't any explicit mention in that interview of a falling-out with Scott. I still have a faint hope that the two of them will work together again, as director-composer, before it's too late. MATCHSTICK MEN was a staggering 21 years ago!

43 minutes ago, A24 said:

Whoever the composer will be for Gladiator 2, he will copy Zimmer like his life is gonna depend on it. 

And knowing Ridley Scott, it very well may.

I'm seeing this project a bit more optimistically than the vibe here. We don't know anything about whatever story/characters might have made Scott decide it was worth doing, and even if it does suck completely, it raises a possibility of another good epic Roman score. Given Zimmer's not doing it and Scott's musical tendencies have moved on, a Gladiator-esque score without the synths were, I thought, what some people wished the first one was.

And if the whole thing sucks? Move on with your day...

10 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Cool to hear him acknowledge here that the new Lion King was more or less a derivative knock-off.

I think it's wise that Zimmer stepped out of the way, because I don't think he could recreate that sound himself anymore anyway (that's why we have Dune!).

Hopefully, this will inspire HGW though. He's got it in him to write something good for this, as long he's not as bored as he's sounded for the last decade or so.

12 hours ago, KK said:

Hopefully, this will inspire HGW though. He's got it in him to write something good for this, as long he's not as bored as he's sounded for the last decade or so.

That's isn't quite precise. THE LAST DUEL was very nice (for a problematic film). And THE MARTIAN, which was almost 10 years ago,  but not quite. And the gorgeous (chilly, ethereal, offkilter) "Life" theme for PROMETHEUS. All of those were for Scott too. I believe that is the canvas he needs to do something great. If not KINGDOM OF HEAVEN great, then certainly something high quality.

I don't buy this "not wanting to repeat myself" claim. He seems more than happy to do just that elsewhere.

In fact, the only other time I recall hearing him say that was when he was asked why he passed Kingdom of Heaven to HGW. He said he was being asked to write a "Gladiator 2" for that movie and he didn't want to repeat himself.

If this is not about him not wanting to work with the director again, I can only think of that copyright infringement lawsuit that was brought upon him for the first Gladiator from the Holst Foundation.

On 07/03/2024 at 12:51 PM, badbu said:

thank god he is not returning! 
I think this will be a very bad movie…

I'd welcome a Zimmer return because either he would like the film and be inspired to write a good score, or, if the film's not great, get some minions to do most of the work, and minions are sufficiently low in the food chain as to want to impress Scott with good music.

Plus good composers work with bad movies all the time and go in with a mindset of improving it or helping the director/friend out. I dont think there's a need to assume everything about this sequel will be terrible. (unless of course you want it to be)

15 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Top 5 worst ideas in the history of the world:

5. New Coke

4. Themed Restaurants

3. Hooked on Classics

2. Filling the Hindenburg With Hydrogen

1. A Gladiator sequel.

There are dumber ideas for sequels. For example, an Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton version) sequel, Zoolander 2 and another Snow White & The Huntsman. And when you include prequels, then it's an even bigger list.

And that is just about movies, when we're talking about TV shows getting newer seasons years after their ending, then it's a enourmously huge list.

But yeah, Gladiator 2 is among the dumbest ideas for a sequel.

It's not a great idea on paper but for those that have decided it's a terrible idea, period: don't watch it.

There's far too much shit, sequels and spinoffs being made to spend your time worrying about a favourite franchise or sacred film being ruined by a bad sequel. HGW hasn't exactly been on fire lately in my book but what if Scott gets a career highlight from him? Early indications for RoP weren't good in a lot of people's minds (and in my mind, somewhat accurate) but look at the score we got.

17 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Top 5 worst ideas in the history of the world:

5. New Coke

4. Themed Restaurants

3. Hooked on Classics

2. Filling the Hindenburg With Hydrogen

1. A Gladiator sequel.

I might go as far as to say someone who is set to make a Gladiator sequel probably kinda misses the point of Gladiator.

The same is applicable to other movies. Ahem...

3032.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

Ridley Scott is destroying his own legacy with pointless sequels/prequels like Blade Runner 2049, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant and now Gladiator 2. 

Blade Runner 2049 is nowhere near the greatness of BLADE RUNNER. It’s my own personal opinion, no one can convince me otherwise, sorry.

On 07/03/2024 at 8:15 AM, GerateWohl said:

Ridley Scott achieved almost everything artistically that you can achieve as a film director, except directing a good prequel/sequel.

In that area so far he failed dramatically each time (Hannibal, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant).

59 minutes ago, JTN said:

Ridley Scott is destroying his own legacy with pointless sequels/prequels like Blade Runner 2049, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant and now Gladiator 2. 

main-qimg-8e56535ca424674db0011c21b1fbde

8 minutes ago, JTN said:

Blade Runner 2049 is nowhere near the greatness of BLADE RUNNER. It’s my own personal opinion, no one can convince me otherwise, sorry.

I agree, 2049 is nowhere as good as the first one. Still, I think it's a good movie on his own merits, without comparing it with the 1982 classic. It was one of the most absorbing experiences I had in an IMAX theater.

23 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I mean, by that token, Ridley could have cast Iain Glenn as the King Richard in his Robin Hood film, and thus present it as a sequel to Kingdom of Heaven. But he surely realised it served little to do it that way.

And what I've seen of Robin Hood suggests it was a somewhat pointless film and didn't do Crowe a whole load of good PR for his mocked accent.

But I don't really see what harm the existence of that film does, even if marketed as KoH 2. Scott's reputation as a bankable director might be affected for a bit, but for those of us who liked Streitenfeld's score (and I know there are very few of us), we got something good from it. Hence my overall perspective is I don't understand what drives anger in response to a film that doesn't have any immediately evident reason to exist... just don't give them your money. Is it really just people who don't want a director or classic film's reputation tarnished? I have to admit I don't share those concerns because I don't really care what the masses think of my favourite movie. I thought Jurassic World was the biggest pile of shit I'd seen in a while, and plenty of people think JP/// is really stupid, but that doesn't affect opinions of the classic first movie, does it?

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't understand what drives anger in response to a sequel that doesn't have any immediately evident reason to exist.

I guess part of the issue is that the whole point of Gladiator is Maximus gives up his life for what we are led to believe is a better future for Rome. Throwing us into another movie where things invariably goes to pot, casts a pall on the radiance of that ending.

But isn't the Roman empire rich enough to room more stories?

I expect this to be tangentially related to the first film, but it's not like Maximus raises from the ashes to wreak havoc.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

But isn't the Roman empire rich enough to room more stories?

All the more reason to do more Roman epics that aren't directly tied-into Gladiator. Just like Robin Hood isn't trying to suggest its a sequel to Kingdom of Heaven.

Well, try to look through the commercial point of view: Robin Hood and Napoleon were "original" epics, not tied to any franchise or Academy Award-winning movie. It was just "another" epic from a famed but not exactly "every one of his movies is a box office titan" director. Both of them failed at the box office (Napoleon was a little better financially-wise because it was an Apple movie and they have literally trillions of dollars in money, so a movie underperforming wasn't that hard for them).

On the other hand, movies that are tied to a previous successful and beloved flick may perform a little better. So, even if the idea of a Gladiator 2 is silly, it is more likely they're using the name of a previous movie for commercial reasons to attract attention to what will be another Roman Empire epic that presumably will involve gladiators.

That said, I'm not sure if even that is going to work. In 2000, the idea of seeing epic gladiator battles recreated with then cutting edge technology was enough to create a box office hit. These days, after everything from Attack of the Clones to Thor: Ragnarok to Dune 2, how are you going to convince people that gladiator fights (one that, unlike those three movies, doesn't involve aliens and monsters) is still something worth paying an IMAX ticket for?

17 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

All the more reason to do more Roman epics that aren't directly tied-into Gladiator. Just like Robin Hood isn't trying to suggest its a sequel to Kingdom of Heaven.

I would say that the original film was rich enough too (not only the Roman empire in general) to room a number of new stories. As I said, I think it's close, but removed far enough to basically be another independent story set in the same era. Time will tell. I'm optimistic.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

As I said, I think it's close, but removed far enough to basically be another independent story set in the same era.

It has Lucila, Gracchus and an older Lucius...

Its not a standalone vignette of Roman history. Its a sequel.

The story is going to be about a young gladiator, played by Ryan Gosling, in search of the legendary Maximus, who might be still alive and residing in Greece. 

I-learned-my-lesson-Russell-Crowes-Cruel