Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley's THE MANDALORIAN (2019-present)

Evanus

Wowwee, I heard a lot of score in episode 4 that I want to hear on the album.

If we are getting a Vol 1 OST this Friday, I would expect that largest part of its running time to be pulled from this episode.  Lots of good stuff, lots of good callbacks to older themes.  Really liked it!

One thing I forgot to point out until now:

I liked that in the season premiere, there was an original Shirley composition that covered the "Previously On", that continued right into the Logos, that continued right into the first scene of the show.  It had a great flow to it and made the start of the season exciting!

In all episode since, the "Previously On" is scored by tracked music.  Then there's a pause, then the normal Logo music.  Then another pause, then the episode starts, which may or may not have score immediately.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

One of my favorite Mandoverse cues is the Shirley cue in Book of Boba Fett covering Grogu's training with Luke.  Like you're talking about, that reminded me a bit of taking Goransson's sound and Williams' sound a bit and melding them together in a cool way.

I specifically like his music for Grogu's Order 66 flashback during BOBF. That dark brass is right at home with Williams' ROTS, yet the elegiac material feels more at home with the sequel trilogy.

Yet the whole package still feels wrapped up in Goransson's DNA. Pretty awesome!

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Wowwee, I heard a lot of score in episode 4 that I want to hear on the album.

If we are getting a Vol 1 OST this Friday, I would expect that largest part of its running time to be pulled from this episode.  Lots of good stuff, lots of good callbacks to older themes.  Really liked it!

Knowing our luck though, its just gonna be 3 tracks per episode again.

Well at this point it's clear there's no OST album dropping today anyway.  I hope they aren't gonna do the whole season as one release (unless its really long)

3 hours ago, CGCJ said:

AHA Music now identifies the series 3 OST!

Reveal hidden contents

Went back through the episodes taking a look at that and it seems like every important piece of new music is there, with the exception of a small cue for IG-11's repairs, and some less interesting ones. It's so cool to see that even the Courscant street source music with the March of the Resistance variation is there, which I wasn't expecting, so that's great! Looking forward to the release hopefully next week!

Perhaps is there but the music recognition app does not catch it. Even so, there's a cool variation on IG-11's theme right before, when Mando sees the statue, that seems like it is going to be in the release, so there's that.

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/the-mandalorian-season-3-vol-1-chapters-17-20-original-score/1679086315

The Mandalorian: Season 3 - Vol. 1 (Chapters 17-20) (Original Score)

Joseph Shirley

kjl9m73eelrwb_600.jpg

1. The Living Waters
2. The Apostate
3. High Magistrate
4. We Got Pirates
5. A Castle
6. Back for a Tune Up
7. Mando's in Trouble
8. The Old Mines
9. I Swear on My Name
10. Attack on the Gauntlet
11. Amnesty Scientist
12. Coruscant Street Fair
13. Worth the Risk
14. L52 
15. You Are One of Us
16. Playtime's Over 
17. There Are No Others
18. Quest for a Foundling
19. Double Signet

1 hour 7 minutes

Here are the lengths of each track:

01 The Living Waters (3:27)
02 The Apostate (1:58)
03 High Magistrate (3:41)
04 We Got Pirates (3:24)
05 A Castle (3:34)
06 Back for a Tune Up (2:12)
07 Mando's in Trouble (4:35)
08 The Old Mines (3:02)
09 I Swear on My Name (2:31)
10 Attack on the Gauntlet (5:27)
11 Amnesty Scientist (4:05)
12 Coruscant Street Fair (3:33)
13 Worth the Risk (2:02)
14 L52 (3:26)
15 You Are One of Us (3:55)
16 Playtime's Over (3:58)
17 There Are No Others (5:39)
18 Quest for a Foundling (5:09)
19 Double Signet (1:44)

It's already up on Tidal too

https://tidal.com/browse/album/285075190

Episode breakdown Volume 1

Episode 1

1. The Living Waters
2. The Apostate (slightly longer in episode)
3. High Magistrate
4. We Got Pirates
5. A Castle

Episode 2
6. Back for a Tune Up
7. Mando's in Trouble (slightly longer in episode, but just a bit of sound design)
8. The Old Mines
9. I Swear on My Name

Episode 3
10. Attack on the Gauntlet
11. Amnesty Scientist
12. Coruscant Street Fair
13. Worth the Risk
14. L52 
15. You Are One of Us

Episode 4
16. Playtime's Over 
17. There Are No Others
18. Quest for a Foundling
19. Double Signet

Why yes, that's a quote of what I posted on FSM, which is just the information from @CGCJ here in this thread just 9 posts up

I listened to this album twice today and..... I guess I'm not sure what to say.  I guess I can say I liked it, but didn't love it?

I had a similar reaction to the Season 2 Vol 1 album, which kind of builds for a bit and then just ends; When the Vol 2 OST came out and I just listened to them back to the back as if it was one long album, I liked it much better.  Maybe the same thing will happen here.

Volume 1 is great at representing the highlights of the first half of the season, which is mostly subdued material, hints of themes and some great action set-pieces. The best parts for me are the two big action cues, We Got Pirates and Attack on the Gauntlet, the coruscant material on Amnesty Scientist and Worth the Risk, and then the subtle and noble development of Bo Katan's material, either her main theme or the new "redemption" theme, both of which can be heard extensively in A Castle and Double Signet.

I'm thinking on doing a more detailed analysis of the first volume in case anyone is interested, but it would take me a couple of days since I don't have that much time right now.

As for today's new episode, it greatly developed many of the Mandalorian motifs, with some great variations on Bo Katan's material, and it brought back the Gorian Shard theme from episode one, heard at the end of We Got Pirates, and used it to great effect during the action set-pieces, which I hope are included on the next score release.

If you want to read a bit more in depth analysis on the music for the episode, feel free to check out my write-up, and share your thoughts. Enjoy!

Chapter 21: The Pirate

I remember liking the cue for Paz talking in the cave with the fire going from this episode

So I’m guessing the score is in chronological order then, since I’m not seeing any major alterations to it’s order in the various posts I’ve seen on here since it was released a few days ago.

Why is track one titled "The Living Waters", if it contains the music from the opening of episode 1? They don't arrive at The Living Waters until the end of episode 2.

No. It's the music from the opening.

But maybe because the waters that they have on that planet act as the 'new' Living Waters because they think Mandalore is toxic etc

I'm listening to the album again now and enjoying it much more than before, for whatever reason!

I have a question though.  All the brand new themes this season, like for example the Coruscant theme: Do we know Shirley wrote those, or is it possible Goransson did?

On 31/03/2023 at 1:40 PM, Knight of Ren said:

Also I really enjoyed reading this post while listening along, @Knight of Ren!

Question though: There's a theme you call the Mandalorian Culture theme.  But isn't it a theme for this specific group Din and Grogu are now a part of, not the entirety of Mandalores as a whole?

5 hours ago, Jay said:

All the brand new themes this season, like for example the Coruscant theme: Do we know Shirley wrote those, or is it possible Goransson did?

I don't know the answer to this, but I think they are Shirley's, because in Book of Boba Fett happened something similar, but there we had Goransson's theme suite, while in here we just have a "themes by" credit, which could just refer to the old themes.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

There's a theme you call the Mandalorian Culture theme.  But isn't it a theme for this specific group Din and Grogu are now a part of, not the entirety of Mandalores as a whole?

Glad you enjoyed it! All the different parts of the "Mandalorian Culture theme" have been strongly used in scenes with this group, but if my memory doesn't fail me, it also appeared with Bo Katan's mandalorian pals in S2. But since those are the only namdalorians we've seen so far, it makes sense to apply it as a theme for Mando's covert and for the mandalorian culture as a whole, but if the show expands into other groups, we will find out if the composer uses these themes or creates new ones for the new groups.

Even so, some of the thematic associations in this show are a bit hard to clarify, and sometimes the composers use a set of ideas for abstract concepts that doesn't always make it easy to narrow down in a more "traditional" sense, examplified by all the different ideas that form "The Mandalorian" track.

Hope this helps a bit!

Last episode was mostly okay, and the music was one of the most underwhelming aspects of it, heavily relying on tracked music from seasons 1 and 2 (sometimes reworked in some ways, removing sections and such), plus some more electronic source cues here and there.

The only cue worthy of attention is the one at the very end, which features an extended arrangement of the recorder riff, which leads to the Mandalorian Culture themes joining with Mando's western motif, some Bo Katan material and then a proper, complete statement of the "Mandalore / Redemption" theme, which finally has established itself as a theme for the ruler of Mandalore, as it plays when Bo Katan finally recieves the Dark Sword. This is the only cue that I would like to hear on the release, since the rest is mostly tracked stuff, and some more contemporary source music which isn't really my thing, even if they're interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a lot of music I liked in episode 7!

One question for you experts: Was the music played during the "previously on recap" this week actually an original composition, or was it tracked?  I remember specifically liking it.

There were some cool new variations of the main Mando theme ideas in this episode, like during the title card for one.  One bit of odd scoring was when The Armorer flies away in Bo's ship with wounded Mandalores, her flight gets scored by the main Mando theme - why?

I was surprised Gideon's special troopers weren't scored with dubstep like the ones at the end of season 2.  I miss it!

Can't wait for the volume 2 album :up: 

15 hours ago, Jay said:

One question for you experts: Was the music played during the "previously on recap" this week actually an original composition, or was it tracked?  I remember specifically liking it.

What there is is a use of sound libraries like Symphobia 2.

I have been able to recognize a very famous violin cluster from that library :music:

16 hours ago, Jay said:

There were some cool new variations of the main Mando theme ideas in this episode, like during the title card for one.  One bit of odd scoring was when The Armorer flies away in Bo's ship with wounded Mandalores, her flight gets scored by the main Mando theme - why?

I also liked that title card cue, as it mixes the Recorder riff with one of Gideon's motifs, and I particularly loved the extended development of the material for Gideon in the final standoff! Also, the choral motif for the Praetorian Guards was so great, and I think one of the first times (if not the first) that we have heard choir in the series.

I think the Mando Fanfare plays under that sequence because they are intercutting between her flying away with the injured mandalorians and the rest of the group travelling in that ship in search of the Great Forge, as a sort of montage, so I think that's why the use that theme there.

If anyone's interested in reading a more in-depth analysis of the music of the episode, feel free to check out my wirte-up, share your thoughts or any correction or detail I may have missed. Hope you enjoy. Cheers!

Chapter 23: The Spies

Yes, the title card mashup was so cool!! And yea, Gideon's theme was great to hear again, and in new arrangements, in the episode. 

Another thing I just remembered was the end credits music, which uncharacteristically ended early, before thr credits were done. Was just just the orchestral arrangement from season 1, episode 7? And did it end early because they omitted the opening? 

On 15/04/2023 at 2:08 PM, Jay said:

Another thing I just remembered was the end credits music, which uncharacteristically ended early, before thr credits were done. Was just just the orchestral arrangement from season 1, episode 7? And did it end early because they omitted the opening? 

Checked just now. They phase the entire time, so it's indeed just the cue from S1 Chapter 7. The entire cue too, including the opening.