The Force Awakens is probably the last thing in my life I ever looked forward to as much as I did

Bayesian

Yea, that was me with The Phantom Menace.  I have never before or since been more hyped for a movie.  

The hype reached it's absolutely peak at the midnight premiere as the Star Wars logo blasted onto the screen with the LSO playing a new recording of the main title... and deflated long before the film was over.

I've never come closed to being that hyped for anything since.

i was also 19 at the time

No. I still anticipate having kids and many other actual life experiences that will occur while movies and other entertainment are just distractions.

3 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

No. I still anticipate having kids and many other actual life experiences that will occur while movies and other entertainment are just distractions.

I knew there’d be at least one here to pull the lever for that third option of mine. 

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, that was me with The Phantom Menace.  I have never before or since been more hyped for a movie.  

The hype reached it's absolutely peak at the midnight premiere as the Star Wars logo blasted onto the screen with the LSO playing a new recording of the main title... and deflated long before the film was over.

I remember being really pumped for Ep. I too, but not quite to the same level. I’d gotten the soundtrack about two weeks before the movie opened (back when they did that sort of thing) and remember trying to work out the story from the track list.

I never realized or appreciated, though, what it meant to have a new LSO performed opening crawl. I wasn’t as JW- or film music-obsessed back then. I do remember, though, being utterly

infatuated with the flag parade and DOTF, and not caring for Anakin’s theme or much else of the soundtrack [hangs head in shame].

Of course, I got older and wiser and came to recognize the utter lunacy of my first opinions on the rest of that score.😊

Force Awakens was probably it for me as well. Although I was pretty pumped for Godzilla: King of the Monsters because of this trailer:

The movie itself was a disappointment for me, but it really looked like it was going to be cool as hell. 

I can't think of any upcoming films that I have remotely the same level of anticipation for.

22 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Funny that. I was pumped for the trailers, and the film met my expectations.

The trailers make it look less silly than it ended up being and yes, I know, it's a Godzilla flick.

3 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

The trailers make it look less silly than it ended up being and yes, I know, it's a Godzilla flick.

The trailers emphasised the awe these titans inspire. The movie does that too, but builds it around a 1990s Saturday morning cartoon plot, making it more of an adaptation of the 1994 Trendmasters Godzilla dolls.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea, that was me with The Phantom Menace.

My most hyped title was the first Hobbit movie. The novel was a childhood favorite of mine and my girlfriend at the time knew that and took me to see the movie, which premiered on my 21st birthday. The hype peaked for me as I got to listen to what turned out to be the standard edition of the soundtrack on some random website -- Variety maybe? Anyway, like you, my hype had completely deflated while watching the movie. People told me I was crazy and that the other 2 films would be better, but now that they're all out, most people will at least admit that the trilogy was a bad adaptation and a mixed bag on its own terms. I'll be hyped if anyone ever comes along to readapt this novel, but I doubt I'll ever be that excited about an upcoming movie again.

47 minutes ago, AC1 said:

You once knew someone like me, right?

Anyway, having such extremely high expectations really has to be a teen thing.

I'm embarrassed even thinking about my SW geekdom!

I think, I probably was even more hyped for The Last Jedi than for The Force Awakens.

And, oh, what a dissapointment it was.

Actually, I would say it was John Williams music that allowed me to be a Star Wars fan beyond my 20s.

Probably, if ever the complete Star Wars score presentation for prequels ans sequels would be coming out, I would probably be twice as hyped.

I don't think I've experienced the kind of giddy expectation of my childhood in my adult years. Then again, who has?

However, in the last two decades there is no other new film I've been more excited about than PROMETHEUS. At that point, it had been 20 years since the last ALIEN film (10 if you count the AvP movies). And the ALIEN series remains the most important film series in my life. I obsess over it. Heck, I was even on national news to talk about my expectations just prior to the press screening.

The amazing thing is that it fulfilled my towering expectations. True, it was not the film I expected with Ridley Scott back at the helm. Not the lean, visceral horror film with the xeno in focus. But it was excellent in a different, more cerebral way. Philosophical in a different way than the original. And it has just grown further in my appreciation since.

Note to everyone else: Yes, I know 90% here hates the film, and will feel very tempted to post some smartalec bashing of it at this point. I don't need to hear it again. Thank you. Feel free to share your own 'positive expectation' story instead.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

However, in the last two decades there is no other new film I've been more excited about than PROMETHEUS. At that point, it had been 20 years since the last ALIEN film (10 if you count the AvP movies).

It had been 15 years between Alien Resurrection and Prometheus, and five years between AVPR and Prometheus.

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

It had been 15 years between Alien Resurrection and Prometheus, and five years between AVPR and Prometheus.

Yes, sorry. My "year" mind was set on COVENANT, for some reason. I'm losing track on time in my old age.

The last time I felt truly excited about a release was when I first saw the trailer for The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring in late 2001. Pretty sure it was attached to the first Harry Potter film. That trailer genuinely gave me goosebumps.

I didn't have any hype for The Force Awakens. I knew it was a thing, but having not seen any Star Wars film prior to that (I only have the vaguest memories of seeing The Phantom Menace when I was around ten years-old) I had no sense of what it was.

I did watch it however. It was (and remains) great fun. I was obviously intrigued enough to then see the previous entries.

13 hours ago, The Big Man said:

The trailers emphasised the awe these titans inspire. The movie does that too, but builds it around a 1990s Saturday morning cartoon plot, making it more of an adaptation of the 1994 Trendmasters Godzilla dolls.

Yeah. I was hoping the plot would follow that "awe" feel as well. But the awe falls flat when it's in between a dumb plot.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

The amazing thing is that it fulfilled my towering expectations.

I'm with you Thor. That said though, I had never seen an Alien film prior. So, this was my first experience with one. I still love the film. I think it's great.

I was somewhat looking forward to The Force Awakens. I saw the movie and thought it was good, but not terribly interesting. 

No Man's Sky is the last video game / movie I'll ever get excited for. Such a shit release. I don't even enjoy the updates to it, gameplay's just too much of a slog. 

Another movie that I expected a lot from was Blade Runner. It was going to be the successor of Ridley Scott who completely rocked my world with Alien which was one of the most beautiful sci-fi visions I've ever seen. I went to see it on day one together with two friends but somehow my expectations weren't entirely met. I thought it was good but it wasn't as great as Alien. That being said, having 'the wrong expectations' can actually be your worst enemy. Three days later, two of us went to see it again, and this time it even exceeded my initial expectations. My buddy, who was with me, experienced the same thing.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life; my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

After FOUR consecutive failures I had/have no interest in any more SW films.

Same with SUPE .😞

Another movie that I expected a lot from was Blade Runner. It was going to be the successor of Ridley Scott who completely rocked my world with Alien which was one of the most beautiful sci-fi visions I've ever seen. I went to see it on day one together with two friends but somehow my expectations weren't entirely met. I thought it was good but it wasn't as great as Alien. That being said, having 'the wrong expectations' can actually be your worst enemy. ..

That was a HUGELY anticipated film. I remember seeng "

the one sheet with "music by Vangelis" and my heart started pumping.

I was at the peak of my Vangelis love..plus Ford, Scott, science fiction classic....

How could it not be great?

😞😒

The last film that really hit the anticipation/ disappointment button for me was FORD vs. FERRARI.

A great story turned into a cliched Hollywood underdog sports story.😞

10 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

That was a HUGELY anticipated film. 

You would think, right? But we sat in an almost empty theater on premiere night, people just weren't that interested.  

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Isn't there something in the Protocols Of Jayzon prohibiting personal insults?😗

He makes exceptions for certain members.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

You would think, right? But we sat in an almost empty theater on premiere night, people just weren't that interested.  

He makes exceptions for certain members.

You mean the person who is on the receiving end😁