Are there Limited Edition John Williams CDs that you regret not having bought when they were still available?

Josh500

And now they're OOP and not available at all or exorbitantly expensive on the second hand market....

Thankfully, I got all the major releases like the Jurassic Park boxset, the Harry Potter boxset, the Indiana Jones boxset, A.I., Home Alone, Hook, Minority Report etc. 

However, I haven't gotten LLL's Always and the Disaster boxset (yet). I'm wondering whether I'll come to regret it.

3 minutes ago, Steve said:

Jurassic Park.... I was not into expanded box sets at the time it was released. Now I regret it.

Man, that's bitter. This is definitely one of my most listened to sets, ever. I still listen to it to this day.

Is it available on the second hand market at all? At what prices does it sell these days...?

Of course! Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, 1941. Close Encounters sold out right in front of my nose, when I just thought about buying it. Thankfully I ordered Dracula end of last year, now it's already sold out again.

9 minutes ago, Steve said:

Jurassic Park.... I was not into expanded box sets at the time it was released. Now I regret it.

Same. I was pretty happy with the normal Star Wars and Harry Potter scores at that time and didnt think about these expanded releases too much. Now, if I want to keep up, I'd probably have to buy one album each month. But that's too expensive for me at the moment, also because of taxes or shipping costs. Buying 2 Albums still cost me 80-90€. So the conclusion for me is that I have now to heavily prioritize which I absolutely want to get, as long as they are still in stock.

This has been a real frustration for me these last  6 months or so because I new of some expanded sets, but not all of them.  Had the Indiana jones boxset, but that was available through normal retailers like HMV. I cant really understand why I have let myself get so behind! Life I guess! Anyhow I have been attacking It lately And managed to bag the Jurassic Park set, Dracula, ET, Cowboys, Close encounters, Black Sunday, AI, minority report, WOTWS, Always and more! Done it through a little patience and a lot of budgeting and selling of other stuff I have. My big misses are still JAWS 1 and 2 The Harry Potter boxset, disaster boxset. Hopefully going to put some right next month. If i could give any advice it would be to make sure you keep up with the new releases because it can become a nightmare later in your pocket!

Intrada's HOW TO STEAL A MILLION/BACHELOR FLAT and FITZWILLY (Movie Music Label) - but I have the Varese club release though.

Also GOODBYE MR. CHIPS. 

I regret not having bought The Fury, when it was still available.

And Jaws is another one. I mean, I have the OST on record and in addition the 1992 Varese Release. But I never listen to records anymore.Therefore with the expansion I would get to hear the OST again. 

But I am fine with it mostly since I got the Out to Sean/Shark Cage Fugue with the Boston Pops album and the little Sony box.

With that I more or less have everything I need. But the expansion would be a nice to have. 

And I would be interested, if the Jaws 2 expansion contains anything notable.

And since I recently heard in Maurizio's podcast the main title of How to Steal a Million I am interested in this one, too.

In addition I would be interested in the recordings of the harp concerto and the horn concerto. These seem not to be available anymore, too.

The Missouri Breaks. I think it's the only reedition for a post-1970 JW score that I don't have. Excluding the umpteenth reedition of Home Alone or Superman. Oh and Tom Swayer too. 

All in all I don't feel like I missed much. 

I hope all of these things get revisited with new batches for people who are late to the party.  I feel very fortunate that I have kept up with the limited releases and can now focus on concert recordings and non film work. 

But some things deserve to always be in print, for preservation, to nurture the legacy of JW, and to sustain the business/hobby of soundtrack collecting so that anyone with interest can jump in and collect without getting ripped off. 

8 hours ago, Josh500 said:

However, I haven't gotten LLL's Always and the Disaster boxset (yet). I'm wondering whether I'll come to regret it.

I think you already know you will.  I never gave Earthquake or Towering Inferno much attention before this set.  The latter I now regard as brilliant. 

Always is just stunningly beautiful in its expansion. 

Remind yourself that you were lucky to live in the time of JW, but also in an age where people like Mike Matessino are putting their very best into make it accessible for you. 

I was looking at old CD catalogs from the late 80s, and it’s astonishing that single CD prices of these boutique releases haven’t changed much in almost 40 years!  So while there is an expense, I think there’s a real value to what is being put out there. 

5 hours ago, Antonb said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Anyhow My big misses are still JAWS 1 and 2 The Harry Potter boxset, disaster boxset. Hopefully going to put some right next month. 

Harry Potter Box is coming back in stock very soon.  And Intrada has been teasing at another edition of Jaws as well. 

I don't think I'm missing any scores at this point. In fact, I still have two John Goldfarbs… I do have only a CDR of Varese's violin & flute concerto release, but I expect those recordings will see a re-release at some point.

I'm missing about half of JW's Sony albums as a conductor, but not enough of those I don't have are important enough to me to justify buying the box at full price.

On 13/02/2022 at 7:41 AM, GerateWohl said:

I regret not having bought The Fury, when it was still available.

And Jaws is another one. I mean, I have the OST on record and in addition the 1992 Varese Release. But I never listen to records anymore.Therefore with the expansion I would get to hear the OST again. 

But I am fine with it mostly since I got the Out to Sean/Shark Cage Fugue with the Boston Pops album and the little Sony box.

With that I more or less have everything I need. But the expansion would be a nice to have. 

And I would be interested, if the Jaws 2 expansion contains anything notable.

And since I recently heard in Maurizio's podcast the main title of How to Steal a Million I am interested in this one, too.

In addition I would be interested in the recordings of the harp concerto and the horn concerto. These seem not to be available anymore, too.

The Fury is consistently on ebay for less than $25. I need to pick it up, but I'm saving up for the Harry Potter rerelease next month.

I had a painful experience. About 20 years ago I went on a holiday trip across the ocean and took some CD copies and unfortunately some original CDs with me. My backpack got stolen and I lost at once Williams' Jane Eyre, the Return of the Jedi disk from the ARISTA 4-disc Star Wars collection and the Vertigo re-recording of Joel McNeely.

I couldn't believe my luck, when I found the Return of the Jedi disk hardly a year later in a second hand CD store in Berlin. So, now the 4-disc set is complete again. And I re-purchased the Herrmann again and Jane Eyre as well, but the latter one only as the bootleg.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I had a painful experience. About 20 years ago I went on a holiday trip across the ocean and took some CD copies and unfortunately some original CDs with me. My backpack got stolen and I lost at once Williams' Jane Eyre, the Return of the Jedi disk from the ARISTA 4-disc Star Wars collection and the Vertigo re-recording of Joel McNeely.

I couldn't believe my luck, when I found the Return of the Jedi disk hardly a year later in a second hand CD store in Berlin. So, now the 4-disc set is complete again. And I re-purchased the Herrmann again and Jane Eyre as well, but the latter one only as the bootleg.

I wish you let me know that earlier- I had the previous issue of JANE EYRE and 4 years ago gave it away to a family friend in US whn I got the LLL release. 

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nice thought, but I don't think @GerateWohl was on JWFan back then.

Unfortunately not. But I still got the case. On my trip I just took the CDs.

And hey, I still got the bootleg. :music:

And now that I got the Decca box I know where the bonus tracks were taken from.

Actually, I tried. I wanted to register two or three years earlier. Somehow it didn't work with my browser.

Once I got one step further and was asked as verification question "What score did John Williams write in 2015". I answered "The Force Awakens" and never heard a word again.

At last I managed to register using the option for anonymous guest posts. Based on that I was able to register then.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Once I got one step further and was asked as verification question "What score did John Williams write in 2015". I answered "The Force Awakens" and never heard a word again.

Well, the full title is Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, the full title is Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens.

I should have know, that in a forum where people are comparing audio wave signatures of score tracks and hunt for the last 20 second cue of a soundtrack, that I need to be that precise. But I was young and naive.

If I knew better, probably I would have researched for weeks which dash character to use in the middle of that title.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I should have know, that in a forum where people are comparing audio wave signatures of score tracks and hunt for the last 20 second cue of a soundtrack, that I need to be that precise. But I was young and naive.

If I knew better, probably I would have researched for weeks which dash character to use in the middle of that title.

Strickly speaking, it should have been an Em dash.

23 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The hell with them!😉

If I was lined up before a firing squad, and the only way I could save me life was to refer to STAR WARS as EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE, I would gladly go to my death, smiling😝😜😛

The Star Wars Anthology set!!

(Just kidding, I was four years old when that was released.)

I had the Intrada edition of Jaws, but I sold it when I fell into hard times. And I've been looking for any updates from Intrada about the progress of their reissue ever since then...

I regret not being in a position to buy the Masters Film Music limited release of The Reivers at the time. I do have the Sony Legacy issue but the completist in me wants the earlier release.

At the time I was disappointed in missing the SLC release of SpaceCamp, however I was able to rectify that mistake a few years ago.

On 18/02/2022 at 3:27 AM, Corellian2019 said:

I had the Intrada edition of Jaws, but I sold it when I fell into hard times. And I've been looking for any updates from Intrada about the progress of their reissue ever since then...

But that CD wasn't limited in the first place, right? Can't find it even on the second hand market...?

On 14/02/2022 at 2:09 AM, Hedji said:

Harry Potter Box is coming back in stock very soon.  

I don't get this. Is this batch part of the original 5000 copies? Or is this in addition to the 5000 copies?

On 13/02/2022 at 8:42 PM, crocodile said:

I sometimes think to myself that I made a mistake by not checking out some early John Williams scores. The earliest one I actually have is Heidi.

Karol

I don't have several titles from the 60s, either. But then, so far I don't regret it. I practically never listen to any of these old scores...

But that doesn't mean I may not come to regret it sometime down the road.

I thought this might be the last batch of Harry Potter box sets coming back in stock, but it doesn't say that in the latest restock thread on FSM.  I don't think they've gone beyond their 5000 units.

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

But the A.I. Anniversary Edition did go beyond the original limited 5000 units, right?

No, it sold all 5,000 and then went Out of Print completely.

Later, they decided to re-issue it with the same program and slightly changed cover art and NEW catalog number.

I regretted not getting FSM CHECKMATE.

But, I found the score on another label paired with HONG KONG ( Lionel Newman).

I'm told it is a superior recording but the FSM also has another Williams recording, RHYTHM IN MOTION

42 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I regretted not getting FSM CHECKMATE.

But, I found the score on another label paired with HONG KONG ( Lionel Newman).

I'm told it is a superior recording but the FSM also has another Williams recording, RHYTHM IN MOTION

There's very very little to no difference between the checkmate tracks on the FSM and the one with Hong Kong. Both sound fantastic. 

The Rhythm In Motion album can be bought separately on the Spanish label Blue Moon (I believe they're actually part of the Fresh Sounds label which released the Checkmate and HK CD), paired with "So Nice." 

I'd say the sound quality as about as good as the FSM, with a slightly different stereo spread. But it's nice that the contents of the FSM album can be found at a reasonable price. 

On 19/02/2022 at 4:54 AM, Josh500 said:

But that CD wasn't limited in the first place, right? Can't find it even on the second hand market...?

It wasn't limited, but at some point either the initial run sold out or Intrada discontinued it, and then it instantly became a collector's item

17 hours ago, Jay said:

No, it sold all 5,000 and then went Out of Print completely.

Later, they decided to re-issue it with the same program and slightly changed cover art and NEW catalog number.

Well, that's what I meant.

Technically it may be a different edition, but for all intents and purposes, what it comes down to is that they printed more than 5000 copies of that expanded album...

And the reissue Anniversary Edition was limited too, I guess? Do you know to how many copies?

3 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

It wasn't limited, but at some point either the initial run sold out or Intrada discontinued it, and then it instantly became a collector's item

I initially intended to get Jaws 1-4 from Intrada, but I ended up getting only the first two. I don't regret not getting 3 and 4.

As far as I remember they released those in reverse order. 4, then 3, and so on.

4 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

It was probably limited even if they didn't say so.

4 hours ago, Josh500 said:

And the reissue Anniversary Edition was limited too, I guess? Do you know to how many copies?

The LLL website says, of course 

https://lalalandrecords.com/a-i-artificial-intelligence-20th-anniversary-limited-edition-3-cd-set-1/

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It makes sense to me that one of the best film scores ever written deserves to be in at least 8,000 people's homes

I'm happy for JW and LLL and anybody that managed to purchase this set, but I'd have thought the HP boxset or the JP boxset would go beyond 5000 copies first.... 

But when A.I. gets this treatment, then there's hope. 

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

the HP boxset

The HP boxset didn't even sell its first 5000 copies yet (because it's out of stock for months at a time).

1 minute ago, Holko said:

The HP boxset didn't even sell its first 5000 copies yet (because it's out of stock for months at a time).

Wow really? Didn't know that. 

What in the world is LLL doing? I can't believe that there's no more demand for this set.... 

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

What in the world is LLL doing? I can't believe that there's no more demand for this set.... 

More like what in the world are the remaining manufacturing plants doing? When the set gets in stock, it flies, then whoever else wanted to buy it can wait for the next batch to be pressed.