Original Star Wars albums now available in Spatial Audio on Tidal and Apple Music

Jay

These Dolby Atmos releases show the state that the Jedi tapes must be in. These are all mono centre channel rips which highlight the 'data' missing from Jedi's transfers compared with A New Hope. 

Main Titles - A New Hope

Tie Fighter Attack - A New Hope 

Finale - Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

It sounds like they've maybe put reverb over the tape transfers to try and mask the issues. It sounds like aggressive mp3 compression as well. 

So this is a film cue and still faked. Then we can't be sure about the missing tape. Or maybe that's why they faked the rest, they had to fake Jabba, might as well be consistent.

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

So this is a film cue and still faked. Then we can't be sure about the missing tape.

The revised ‘Return of the Jedi’ (4M4R Jabba’s End) was recorded as part of the album sessions, though, along with the concert arrangements and end credits.

1 minute ago, BrotherSound said:

The revised ‘Return of the Jedi’ (4M4R Jabba’s End) was recorded as part of the album sessions, though, along with the concert arrangements and end credits.

Wasn't Jabba the Hutt recorded in that session?

Just now, A Farewell to Kings said:

Wasn't Jabba the Hutt recorded in that session?

Well, yeah: it’s one of the concert arrangements.

I always figured the 2018 ROTJ Demaster was just a slightly tweaked version of the 2016 Sony album master transfer. Maybe they replaced a few film cues with a multi-track source (those were apparently located after 1997) but it appears the music recorded for the album only exists on that album master now.

And I doubt the album master was more than stereo, hence potentially faked atmos in those tracks.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Fun fact: because the clean opening of the End Credits cue is not available, the end credits track on the 1997 2-CD set actually begins with The Empire Strikes Back's end credits opening before seguing into the ROTJ recording as soon as it can.  

That SW: Corellian Edition CD supposedly contains the end credits from RotJ, does it include Victory Celebration in front? The track title is End Title (From Star Wars Episode VI).

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

That SW: Corellian Edition CD supposedly contains the end credits from RotJ, does it include Victory Celebration in front? The track title is End Title (From Star Wars Episode VI).

Surely its the same TESTB/ROJ hybrid edit like on the 1997 ROTJ 2-CD set, just without the Victory Celebration part.

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Fortunately, some tracks from Return of the Jedi are legit surround mixes!

Here are some examples of things I can't remember hearing that well (or at all) in the stereo mix:

01 Main Title (The Story Continues)

02 Into the Trap

09 The Emperor

So we can assume all the other tracks come from the original stereo album master, and so required a fake Atmos mix for this new release.

This doesn't mean that the original session tapes are damaged or lost for those cues! Maybe they just thought in 2017/2018 that their album transfers had already the film mixes and sounded good enough, who knows :) 

Whoa, that synth on The Emperor is nuts. 

6 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I just went back and listened to the original The Emperor. I can almost hear it start to go up, but I can't hear that crazy sine wave.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2023 at 4:41 PM, Chewy said:

Those atmos mixes are legit!

Impressive!

Is this actual discrete multi-channel audio, like L-C-R? Or did you use an audio software to extract the center channel from a 2-channel stream?

3 hours ago, phbart said:

Impressive!

Is this actual discrete multi-channel audio, like L-C-R? Or did you use an audio software to extract the center channel from a 2-channel stream?

This is from the Atmos mixes (which is what this thread is for) which are in 5.1 surround sound.

On 05/05/2023 at 6:19 PM, Chewy said:

It's definitely fixed, you're probably still listening to the old version. The left-channel annoying mix from the 2018 version is completely gone and the edit was corrected.

2018 version :

New version:

If you turn off the spatial audio option, that botched edit will be there. Now if you turn it on, the botch is gone. Also, even if you turn off the Dolby Atmos option from your device but keep the spatial audio from the Apple Music app turned on, you'll still have the botch-free edit. That's... interesting.

Why didn't they provide a new proper master for the regular 2 channel mix, instead of the "old" 2018 master? Even a 2-channel downmix of the atmos version sounds better and more balanced here.

11 minutes ago, phbart said:

Why didn't they provide a new proper master for the regular 2 channel mix, instead of the "old" 2018 master? Even a 2-channel downmix of the atmos version sounds better and more balanced here.

You're asking why the company that put out the 2018 "remasters" didn't create new stereo mixes after already going to the trouble of releasing them a few years prior? Possibly to save face and not admit that the "remasters" were botched/badly made. Cost saving maybe? They've already paid to get new mixes in 2018, then they've potentially paid someone again to create the new Dolby Atmos versions, so why pay that same person/team to create new stereo mixes from the atmos ones when there's recent stereo mixes out there?

It's important to remember that Disney/Lucasfilm have finite resources, and right now those companies are both in financial flux, so going to the trouble of creating these Atmos versions from the scans made in 2018 could be seen as a easy money maker to the people in charge, but to suggest putting together new stereo mixes again so soon might be that extra cost that's easy to just pass off as "well we already did those" to those people in charge.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

I don't even see the financial benefit of spending money on Atmos mixes. Maybe if it was a "value add" to doing the Demaster project in the first place, but seems like a lot of work for little benefit 5 years later.

OTOH, if the Demasters are so damn profitable they can throw money at Murphy for Atmos mixes, why the hell aren't they throwing money at Mike/JW for expansions?

Oh I agree that to us it's difficult to see the financial benefit of these new releases (maybe the TROS Atmos release sold really well?). Disney does seem to prefer putting out the OST programs though. So potentially whoever convinced those in charge that it was worth doing 5.1 mixes might have only been allowed to go with the OST programs of the OT, seeing as the PT got left out. And as to why this and not expansions, would it be cheaper to pay Murphy to create new mixes for 3 films OST's he's already worked on or paying someone else to potentially build everything from the ground up and with more music?

6 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

You're asking why the company that put out the 2018 "remasters" didn't create new stereo mixes after already going to the trouble of releasing them a few years prior? Possibly to save face and not admit that the "remasters" were botched/badly made. Cost saving maybe? They've already paid to get new mixes in 2018, then they've potentially paid someone again to create the new Dolby Atmos versions, so why pay that same person/team to create new stereo mixes from the atmos ones when there's recent stereo mixes out there?

It's important to remember that Disney/Lucasfilm have finite resources, and right now those companies are both in financial flux, so going to the trouble of creating these Atmos versions from the scans made in 2018 could be seen as a easy money maker to the people in charge, but to suggest putting together new stereo mixes again so soon might be that extra cost that's easy to just pass off as "well we already did those" to those people in charge.

I totally agree that both companies have finite (meaning "limited") resources. Same thing for their skills for audio engineering, apparently.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2023 at 10:23 AM, phbart said:

I totally agree that both companies have finite (meaning "limited") resources. Same thing for their skills for audio engineering, apparently.

Well you get what you pay for. It's so bizarre how the 2018 "remasters" turned out considering they were done by Shawn Murphy who should know better. Then again look at the Disney Legacy Collection, how many of those releases have botched editing and music that was on the OST missing? It seems quality control is not Disney's biggest priority when it comes to these sorts of releases, which is frustrating considering the people involved in putting them together in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/06/2023 at 10:49 PM, Groovygoth666 said:

Well you get what you pay for. It's so bizarre how the 2018 "remasters" turned out considering they were done by Shawn Murphy who should know better. Then again look at the Disney Legacy Collection, how many of those releases have botched editing and music that was on the OST missing? It seems quality control is not Disney's biggest priority when it comes to these sorts of releases, which is frustrating considering the people involved in putting them together in the first place.

Yes!

I remember how dissapointed I was when they released The Lion King in 2014. Boy, that CD sounds utterly BAD! The leaked recording sessions that I got a couple of years prior to this release are still my go-to version to listen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2023 at 1:04 AM, phbart said:

Yes!

I remember how dissapointed I was when they released The Lion King in 2014. Boy, that CD sounds utterly BAD! The leaked recording sessions that I got a couple of years prior to this release are still my go-to version to listen.

Buy it... on the impressive 2014 "Legacy Collection" album from Disney if you desire a superior new mix of the scores and songs as they appeared in the film, especially with an impressive and fresh perspective on the important Hans Zimmer score.

https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/lion_king.html

I love how their 'avoid it' does mention the earlier leaks... but grossly overstates what's actually on those leaks 🤣 I've never even seen or heard half of the stuff they claim is in these leaks (no evidence of this 'not-song Circle of Life' that apparently stems from a never-heard Academy Promo, for instance) - the only things that come immediately to mind are alternative sections for 'Sunrise at Pride Rock' and 'Mufasa Dead', and a completely-unreleased-anywhere alternative to 'Scar's Dinner' that is still only heard in the film.

My personal preference is the 2014 set because of some of the additional material completely absent from the 1994 mix (such as the missing chorals in King of Pride Rock) but I do understand why some prefer those 1994 mixes.

On 12/07/2023 at 1:03 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Buy it... on the impressive 2014 "Legacy Collection" album from Disney if you desire a superior new mix of the scores and songs as they appeared in the film, especially with an impressive and fresh perspective on the important Hans Zimmer score.

https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/lion_king.html

I really don't know what to say about that. No offense to the reviewer, but I'm pretty sure he/she didn't get the "proper" leaked version. The 2014 Legacy edition is hissy as hell! I mean... hiss in a 1994 recording from a major studio? :eh:

14 hours ago, phbart said:

I really don't know what to say about that. No offense to the reviewer, but I'm pretty sure he/she didn't get the "proper" leaked version. The 2014 Legacy edition is hissy as hell! I mean... hiss in a 1994 recording from a major studio? :eh:

It's your equipment. ;)

Attack of the Clones is 2002 and hissy as hell.

Back on topic, I'm kinda surprised that it seems the Prequels haven't been done in spatial format yet. Mind you, there's a lot of awkward edits they'd have to alter.