James Horner's BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980) - 2023 2-CD Intrada

Jay

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not jerky sounding at all. I get what you’re saying.  Not an instrument player myself, I have a tendency, right or wrong, to let the whole of the orchestra wash over me. I have to really train myself to listen to the sum of the parts so to speak. 

I try to do both with repeated listens.

I enjoy the overall cue, then go back and try to pick out what the instruments are doing.

And in many cases I get lost in those scores.

If CDs were not digital, I'd wear them out.

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not jerky sounding at all. I get what you’re saying.  Not an instrument player myself, I have a tendency, right or wrong, to let the whole of the orchestra wash over me. I have to really train myself to listen to the sum of the parts so to speak. 

OK, I was just afraid I sounded like this haha:

his-rhythm-is-awful-michael-kupris.gif

Oh and @filmmusic you may want to wait and see if Shout Factory unveils a 4K, as it’s mentioned they are issuing a vinyl record of this. They often do bundles with their home video releases and vinyl releases. 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Oh and @filmmusic you may want to wait and see if Shout Factory unveils a 4K, as it’s mentioned they are issuing a vinyl record of this. They often do bundles with their home video releases and vinyl releases. 

Yes, I'll wait. I'm in no hurry to buy this film, but if a 4K is released I will, probably.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

What the hell is that cloning on the cover, like an 8 year old in computer class...

I didn't notice it at first, but it seems unnecessary.  The old LP and CD covers fit the artwork just fine without needing to extend the image.

This is where predictive A.I. could actually be useful, to extrapolate an image and extend it.  Photoshop does it pretty easily.

Does the reconstructed album mix preserve the performance flubs?  Or are they corrected there too?  The wording is somewhat ambiguous. 

Doug usually just plomps the unaltered album master in to "preserve the original [see usually: worse] mix" so yeah probably.

Well, I have to say after listening and comparing that score with the other scores in the same vein (Star Trek 2, Star Trek 3, Krull) I like it very much. I may in the minority here but I like it more than Krull. The action passages are stunning. What Horner has done with only 40 players is remarkeble.

So will order this and have my Horner "Space-Trilogy" -> Battle Beyond the Stars, Star Trek 2 and Star Trek 3.

I remember a guy who said he wanted a Star Trek trilogy from Horner and not as we all know ending up with a duology. So instead he put and listen to BBtS as his Star Trek 4 instead of Rosenman's score. Love it.

7 hours ago, ckappes said:

What Horner has done with only 40 players is remarkeble.

Wow, did not know that. Most impressive. What a talent he was :(

7 hours ago, ckappes said:

I remember a guy who said he wanted a Star Trek trilogy from Horner and not as we all know ending up with a duology. So instead he put and listen to BBtS as his Star Trek 4 instead of Rosenman's score. Love it.

My Horner Star Trek trilogy:

Star Trek 1.5: The Booby-Shipped Battle Beyond the Stars

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock

I get liking Battle Beyond the Stars more than Krull, but to exclude it from Horner's space series is heresy! We don't need a trilogy of Horner Trek scores. We already have a quadrilogy as far as I'm concerned.

The Album CD on this is basically the album master, but it sounds like it is from a better source or something.

It sounds pretty good, but with far more reverb (it is the album master), so I think they did something to clean it up.

I'll personally only listen to the CD 1 contents for the most part.

8 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

My Horner Star Trek trilogy:

Star Trek 1.5: The Booby-Shipped Battle Beyond the Stars

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock

Precisely this!  Yes!!

I bet you could track parts of Voyage Home with Rascals and Robbers and it would work as Horner’s Trek IV score. 

59 minutes ago, Andy said:

Precisely this!  Yes!!

I bet you could track parts of Voyage Home with Rascals and Robbers and it would work as Horner’s Trek IV score. 

That would be an improvement!

12 hours ago, DangerMotif said:

Has anyone else noticed skips (disc 1 track 27 at 3:28 and 1-25 at 1:25)or is it and Issue on my end?

thanks

Com'on, use EAC to rip your CDs, mercy!

12 hours ago, DangerMotif said:

Has anyone else noticed skips (disc 1 track 27 at 3:28 and 1-25 at 1:25)or is it and Issue on my end?

thanks

No nothing on my end. Are you playing it in a CD player and it’s skipping?  Or did you rip it. If you can, try a different machine to rip it. 

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

No nothing on my end. Are you playing it in a CD player and it’s skipping?  Or did you rip it. If you can, try a different machine to rip it. 

Yeah, I noticed Intrada CD's sometimes rip with skips on certain drives, especially in latter portion of the programs

Precisely.  It's always on the outer portions of the disc where that happens.  I use a ridiculously old MacBook to rip them and it does a better job than my usb optical drive.  Tedious, but worth it.  It's not just Intrada, although they are often the most frequent.  I had a Quartet Big Country CD do the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure how I feel about fixing wrong notes with new technology. Does that mean a true expansion of what was actually recorded will never be released?

I understand why someone would want to do this but it’s essentially auto-tune for instruments. Fixing pitch that had been warped due to years of damage? Sure. Lots of old historical recordings that would otherwise have been lost to time have been restored this way. Fixing pitch because the players were a little off on the day? Ehhhhhh.

I know I personally would rather have the original performance, warts and all, ALL of the time.

So while my personal jury is still out debating this issue, anyone have any thoughts about fixing errant notes with technology?

I’m excited to hear how this version sounds. It hasn’t appeared on Spotify yet, so once it does, I will sit down and listen to it all the way through.

By the way, does the original album program on disc 2 also feature pitch-corrected notes?

1 hour ago, Trope said:

I’m excited to hear how this version sounds. It hasn’t appeared on Spotify yet, so once it does, I will sit down and listen to it all the way through.

By the way, does the original album program on disc 2 also feature pitch-corrected notes?

The Album mix is unchanged as far as I can tell.

It is improved sound quality wise, but I think it is just from a better source for the Album master, and even has the same reverb applied (a much wetter sound than the main score program).

3 hours ago, blondheim said:

I’m not sure how I feel about fixing wrong notes with new technology. Does that mean a true expansion of what was actually recorded will never be released?

It's not much different from recording inserts to patch over flubs. And hey, now we've got the chance to get decent sounding Goldsmith scores. ;)

3 hours ago, blondheim said:

I understand why someone would want to do this but it’s essentially auto-tune for instruments. Fixing pitch that had been warped due to years of damage? Sure. Lots of old historical recordings that would otherwise have been lost to time have been restored this way. Fixing pitch because the players were a little off on the day? Ehhhhhh.

I know I personally would rather have the original performance, warts and all, ALL of the time.

So while my personal jury is still out debating this issue, anyone have any thoughts about fixing errant notes with technology?

I generally sympathize with this, but BBTS is a bit of a special case in that the corrections seem to be done sparingly for a few of the more egregious playing errors.

From my listening the full spirit of the recordings are there, and unless one is familiar with the more glaring errors one wouldn't know that parts of the performance were taken from different takes of the recordings.

They did the same for Superman IV which suffered many of the same kinds of performance issues.

They playing was very spirited and I love the rawness.

3 hours ago, OneBuckFilms said:

They playing was very spirited and I love the rawness.

I love many (but not all) of the older City of Prague Philharmonic recordings for the same reason. 

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's not much different from recording inserts to patch over flubs. And hey, now we've got the chance to get decent sounding Goldsmith scores. ;)

I wonder if A.I. would be able to fix these kinds of things seemlessly in the not too distant future.

4 hours ago, Trope said:

It hasn’t appeared on Spotify yet, so once it does, I will sit down and listen to it all the way through.

It's already on YouTube Music.

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nZWYIaWayjGeGMxDmCK7GtsWdBvIO8nrI&feature=shared

I never noticed the flubs as I don’t have an ear for that.  All I hear in the new remix is a spirited performance that delights me.  I do get the controversy and if CD space issues weren’t limiting, I’d like to see the original performances preserved. But it’s not stopping me from absolutely loving this. 

But I get it. It’s like removing the reflection of the glass when Indiana Jones falls in front of the cobra in Raiders.