Quartet Announces: HEIDI/ JANE EYRE (2CD)(John Williams) Remastered and Expanded

Amer

45 minutes ago, Bespin said:

and then, finally, it needs practically every cue from the score. So finally, I'll isten to the whole score!

It's not the whole score. It's only the cues which were used to assemble the album. That's why all of them are needed.

On 02/02/2024 at 10:14 AM, bollemanneke said:

Finally started listening to Jane Eyre. I will never understand how they got away with such crappy quality in 1970. They really, really could have done more. Why hire JW if this is your sound budget?

Not a matter of recording budget -- listen to the alternate takes from an earlier generation source! They sound MUCH better IMO. It's just that the original "hot" album master is all that has survived the ages for this score, alas. (Who knows why that doesn't sound better? But it's hardly the only example of this.) Maybe some day the better sounding original masters will be found, and we'll also get the complete score. Them finding two of the reels still gives me a bit of hope.

Yavar

Yeah, in a way it's almost worse that we now know that it was actually a really good recording obscured by a  kinda crappy album master.

On 18/1/2024 at 2:15 AM, Steve said:

I have to say that I prefer the sound of the Silva release of Jane Eyre. 

Which release? And can you elaborate on why?

IMG_3738.jpeg

On 11/2/2024 at 11:42 PM, Andy said:

my Wife and I are enjoying the Heidi Bowl

Do you mean you waited until the last minute of play at the SuperBowl before switching over to Heidi?

Please tell me you also rigged up some way of having the final score scroll across the screen just as Klara starts to walk.

37 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Do you mean you waited until the last minute of play at the SuperBowl before switching over to Heidi?

Please tell me you also rigged up some way of having the final score scroll across the screen just as Klata starts to walk.

The complexity of that, while appealing, was too much.  I had just enough ambition to locate a streaming channel that had a VHS grade transfer.

The movie was good.  Simple.  Earnest.  With the score's Love Theme, I was expecting more sparks with the romantic plot.  It's too bad it wasn't a theatrical feature.  The photography was stark and bright for television, without much nuance.

Heidi is due for another remake, with Harrison Ford as the old man.  He'd be perfect.

If it were not for occasional discussion of this score I would not have given Heidi any thought since I was in grade school.

I do think (I suppose this contradicts my previous statement) of Heidi whenever someone discusses something like Harry Potter or Babe 2 as being too frightening for children. I recall my childhood being littered with stories of young protagonists being in terrible jeopardy, often from the person who was SUPPOSED to be protecting them. And Heidi, for me, was exhibit A. (See also Peach, James and the Giant)

I'm not sure why, but this damn story seemed to be EVERYWHERE in the mid 70's.

18 hours ago, Andy said:

Today is SuperBowl Sunday, so naturally my Wife and I are enjoying the Heidi Bowl!  First time watch for me. 

IMG_3807.jpeg

Where did you watch it? Was it a good quality print?

1 hour ago, QuartalHarmony said:

image.gif

Didn’t realise it was compulsory…

It's not, just surprising that you don't have one.  Most of us do.

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Where did you watch it? Was it a good quality print?

I searched it on the Roku and I think the channel is called FilmRise.  Usually JustWatch is the app I use to search but they mistakenly listed it on Tubi which is only playing a newer version. 

It was not a good print. VHS quality.  Not unwatchable , but certainly no restoration. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just ordered.

The €22.50(!) shipping rate didn't scare you? Or did you buy 8 titles, you filthy rich animal?

2 hours ago, Amer said:

Quartet records Announces MEGA SALE OF 25%

Dang it, I could have saved €11 if I'd waited. But then my delivery method wouldn't have worked so I'd have ended up paying crazy postage to the UK. Swings and roundabouts...

1 hour ago, Thor said:

The €22.50(!) shipping rate didn't scare you? Or did you buy 8 titles, you filthy rich animal?

8 titles, and then I'm selling a few of them on Discogs when they're OOP. :)

35 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

8 titles, and then I'm selling a few of them on Discogs when they're OOP. :)

Always the businessman.

Does anyone else find that the Love Theme from Jane Eyre sounds similar to parts of Nino Rota's Romeo and Juliet (1968)? Perhaps it's just the interesting places the melodies and harmonies go, but that's what it reminded me of when I first listened to it. Hoping to dive deeper into this score and Heidi very soon.

Heidi is held hostage! I just got the following message from DHL:

EVENT CATEGORY
Shipment is on hold - LEIPZIG,GERMANY
Further Details - DHL cannot move the shipment or attempt delivery due to a local issue.
Next Steps - Shipment will be moved or delivered once the issue is resolved. Please continue to monitor the progress online.

6 hours ago, rough cut said:

Heidi is held hostage! I just got the following message from DHL:

EVENT CATEGORY
Shipment is on hold - LEIPZIG,GERMANY
Further Details - DHL cannot move the shipment or attempt delivery due to a local issue.
Next Steps - Shipment will be moved or delivered once the issue is resolved. Please continue to monitor the progress online.

Yikes! And they got Jane too!

Please keep us updated, and good luck!

• 2 weeks later...