John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD (2019) - 2024 Varese Deluxe Edition

Faleel

23 minutes ago, JTW said:

CD coming soon as well?

20 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Probably in Varese's next batch I guess?

On 22/02/2023 at 1:38 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

image.png

Having re-read all the announcements, it's two hours of music including some demos, so assuming that the demos are ~20 minutes (the previous two both are) then that's 1:40 or so of score which is 20 minutes longer than the OST (with suite), so on reflection this is potentially more exciting than #2 because that was largely just remastering and legitimising the almost complete promo (and giving us the opening and closing Where No One Goes variations).

I haven't even seen the movie - it will be the only one that's a pure concept album.

I'll maintain my position on the release timing though - for a modern score that doesn't have all the licensing crap that prevents catalog releases from digital availability, the idea of being told I have to buy it on CD to hear it for a couple of months sits very uneasily with me. Digital availability is such an easy way to allow people to either listen while they wait for delivery, or allow them to cherry pick tracks they want.

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Having re-read all the announcements, it's two hours of music including some demos, so assuming that the demos are ~20 minutes (the previous two both are) then that's 1:40 or so of score which is 20 minutes longer than the OST (with suite), so on reflection this is potentially more exciting than #2 because that was largely just remastering and legitimising the almost complete promo (and giving us the opening and closing Where No One Goes variations).

I haven't even seen the movie - it will be the only one that's a pure concept album.

I'll maintain my position on the release timing though - for a modern score that doesn't have all the licensing crap that prevents catalog releases from digital availability, the idea of being told I have to buy it on CD to hear it for a couple of months sits very uneasily with me. Digital availability is such an easy way to allow people to either listen while they wait for delivery, or allow them to cherry pick tracks they want.

And the extra cue "Dragons Lair" before "Should I Know You?"!

My favorite score of 2019, bar none.

And it's my favorite of the trilogy as well. All three of them are masterpieces, but they got better and better with each movie, culminating with the third one.

It's like:

HTTYD 1 - :lovethis::lovethis::lovethis:

HTTYD 2 - :lovethis::lovethis::lovethis::lovethis:

HTTYD 3 - :lovethis::lovethis::lovethis::lovethis::lovethis:

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Don't get me wrong, 2 is a masterpiece. But 3 manages to be even better.

It's an unpopular opinion anyway. 

I've come to appreciate 3 more and more over the years. But 2 grabbed me by the ears and never let me go.

48 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Don't get me wrong, 2 is a masterpiece. But 3 manages to be even better.

It's an unpopular opinion anyway. 

I have literally no idea why but the third didn’t grab me when I first got it despite the fact that I very much enjoyed the new thematic material. I can’t pick between them these days. The first has more specific highlights but the second is more mature and well developed (and the best single action cue), while the third has the best new themes as well as plentiful highlights. I think I’m coming around to the view that they do improve along the series but we’re talking incremental degrees from a very high baseline. 

I think the first movie is great, I've already watched it twice.  I'm not sure why I haven't seen the sequels yet!

Sequels, especially the 2nd are more adult. And really touch on some interesting and adult themes not often seen in animated films.

Imo either of the 3 films should've won the Oscar in their years. I'm especially angry that Toy Story 4 won over that film

I'm starting to actually feel bad about supporting such awful shoddy packaging. How does anyone including Powell etc look at this and say "yes, I want this to represent my work"? As great as it is that the labels are not stepping on each other's territory, working on separate scores and we're getting as much as possible as a result, the lack of true competition really brings out the laziness in two of the four big companies, "eh just throw something together, what are they gonna do, not buy it? Nobody else will release it again for years or nobody else even can"

When the creators say "we wanted this one to be the empire strikes back", you know they tend to ignore what made the first one special and instead go "edgy".

That's a horrible cover. Still, instant buy. :lol:

I missed out on the second one, seems it's out of stock.. anyone know if it'll return? I'd rather not pay 100 euros for it :/

8 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Really? I thought 2 was easily the weakest film of the 3.

You take that back!

I think 2 goes in a different more "epic" direction than 1 which suits me down to the ground. Where 3 falls apart a bit is it tries to re-capture the notion of "this is just a silly story" from 1 and doesn't quite know how to get there. IMHO of course.

I actually quite like the covers. I made that decision after having the cover for 2 full screen on my laptop for the time it took to listen to it. 3 follows the framing of Hiccup and Toothless and they are very nice shots.

11 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

The first comment in the screenshot immediately calls out Varese for their weak artwork. :lol:

Must be a JWFan member. :)

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

HTTYD 1 - :lovethis::lovethis::lovethis:

HTTYD 2 - :lovethis::lovethis::lovethis::lovethis:

HTTYD 3 - :lovethis::lovethis::lovethis::lovethis::lovethis:

HTTYD: ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

HTTYD 2: ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

HTTYD 3: ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Where 3 falls apart a bit is it tries to re-capture the notion of "this is just a silly story" from 1 and doesn't quite know how to get there. IMHO of course.

maxresdefault.jpg

ubaavluirer61.jpg

1 hour ago, Presto said:

maxresdefault.jpg

ubaavluirer61.jpg

Oh, absolutely. Of course Raiders wasn't silly, but Last Crusade thought that was somehow the missing ingredient. Hell, it's the LEAST silly of the original three.

You know, the Tuffnut story in 3 was excruciating enough even if it had been the disgraced T.J. Miller. With a T.J. Miller impersonation? Angels and ministers of grace...

1 is awesome, 2 is pretty good, 3 is a weird retread less mature version of 2 with a 100% unearned ending.

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

You take that back!

I think 2 goes in a different more "epic" direction than 1 which suits me down to the ground. Where 3 falls apart a bit is it tries to re-capture the notion of "this is just a silly story" from 1 and doesn't quite know how to get there. IMHO of course.

I actually quite like the covers. I made that decision after having the cover for 2 full screen on my laptop for the time it took to listen to it. 3 follows the framing of Hiccup and Toothless and they are very nice shots.

I feel like one of the easiest things they could've done to make Hidden World stick better is have Grimmel be Hiccup's uncle. Considering not having Stoick around anymore it makes sense for Grimmel to become a menace, not only that but the dynamic between the two of them gave me the impression he was related to Hiccup in some way, he was OBSESSED with getting Hiccup to see how 'bad' dragons are, and it makes a perfect contrast to Hiccup's origin story where he meets Toothless but chooses not to kill him, whereas Grimmel killed his first dragon. I kept waiting for a grand reveal that never came... I would've had Grimmel be Stoick's brother, Hiccup's uncle.

Really excited for this release. I was wondering when it'd come

22 minutes ago, CatastrophicJones said:

I feel like one of the easiest things they could've done to make Hidden World stick better is have Grimmel be Hiccup's uncle. Considering not having Stoick around anymore it makes sense for Grimmel to become a menace, not only that but the dynamic between the two of them gave me the impression he was related to Hiccup in some way, he was OBSESSED with getting Hiccup to see how 'bad' dragons are, and it makes a perfect contrast to Hiccup's origin story where he meets Toothless but chooses not to kill him, whereas Grimmel killed his first dragon. I kept waiting for a grand reveal that never came... I would've had Grimmel be Stoick's brother, Hiccup's uncle.

I think an easy thing they could have done was make Valka the villain. She's left humanity behind, has trouble reintegrating, has no tolerance for people who'd attack dragons and eventually her violent ways would lead to a split then a clash. She has a real bond with her dragons, so this time it wouldn't just be mind control again, and THAT, having a bond with the dragons and still misusing it, could lead to an ending where the humans decide they're not worthy to have them, they're too dangerous and have to be sent away. The bland villain of the week they had in 3 with his magic mind control potion did not justify that.

I've ways felt that the great thing about Grimmel is is that he is Hiccup if Hiccup made a different choice in the first film.

Truly interesting and he is actually the only person in all 3 films we actually see kill a dragon.

36 minutes ago, Holko said:

I think an easy thing they could have done was make Valka the villain. She's left humanity behind, has trouble reintegrating, has no tolerance for people who'd attack dragons and eventually her violent ways would lead to a split then a clash. She has a real bond with her dragons, so this time it wouldn't just be mind control again, and THAT, having a bond with the dragons and still misusing it, could lead to an ending where the humans decide they're not worthy to have them, they're too dangerous and have to be sent away. The bland villain of the week they had in 3 with his magic mind control potion did not justify that.

I'll absolutely agree the magic and mind control was ridiculous. There's a place and time for that sort of stuff, but it's never used in a clever way anymore. My version of him wouldn't have had any magic or mind control either.

Valka as a villain is an interesting take, I kinda like this idea

4 hours ago, HunterTech said:

You really mean to tell me that after two albums where it's red, you suddenly decide it should be green?

It's to underline the change from 1, 2, subtitle and the shifting politics of a different studio. ;)

Agreed, that cover is not great. What was wrong with putting a deluxe banner on the awesome OST cover?

Also agreed that the font for #2 is on the standard of a good bootleg.