Jurassic Park 7, written by David Koepp

Jay

I'm happy David Koepp is returning, I love the first two. Hopefully they get a good director.. and I'm curious who will do the score! But if it's Giacchino again I won't really complain, I like his World scores.

I thought the first Jurassic World was actually pretty decent. It was just a fun way to shut your brain off for a couple hours and enjoy the nostalgic callbacks. ;) The sequels, however, were borderline unwatchable. 

Like Aliens and Terminator, Jurassic Park is another franchise that's gone a long way on one or two good films followed by a lot of mediocrity (at best).

Just now, Nick1Ø66 said:

Like Aliens and Terminator, Jurassic Park is another franchise that's gone a long way on one or two good films followed by a lot of mediocrity (at best).

I think those sorts of movies don't really lend themselves to sequels at all. Jurassic Park is a pretty closed-ended story, and the only way to do a sequel is to replay the same basic premise - maybe do it in a different way, but ultimately you have to manufacture a way to get people BACK on the island.

I'm down for it, but I want them to return to the island. Preferably just one person trying to survive on Sorna or Nublar. Feel free to set it prior to to the JW movies, if necessary. And please, pretty please, no Giacchino.

50 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm down for it, but I want them to return to the island. Preferably just one person trying to survive on Sorna or Nublar. Feel free to set it prior to to the JW movies, if necessary. And please, pretty please, no Giacchino.

Agreed on all points.

What the franchise really needs is a director who understands suspense and scale. Trevorrow was not good at either of those things. And please, please we need to lose the meta jokes in the scripts. It was a cute trend when it became popular in the 2010’s but it’s been done to death. Let the story be earnest and speak for itself, meta writing just undermines things and takes me out of the experience.

Yet another movie about people playing god and arrogantly thinking they can control nature, but being humbled by it? Hard pass for me...

These people should just raise some harmless herbivores and be done with it already. Yeah, a kind of sequel to 'Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend'!

image.jpeg

Will they go the plantet of the apes way?

i cant see humanity leaving extremely dangerous animals roam free for so long, except in a post apocaliptic world…

13 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Oh no...

Wait, they might actually tackle dinosaurs and humans living together.
Oh, it's kinda a soft reboot...

ghostbusters-venkman.gif

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Will they go the plantet of the apes way?

The Plantets of the Apes :D

10 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

One positive: we get another Jurassic score.

By who? 

10 hours ago, CatastrophicJones said:

Apparently JJ Abrams is doing auditions for an unknown production, maybe he'll be doing it? 

I think he's doing another Star Trek film. 

This franchise has been directed to a point where it is almost impossible to make any good sequel or prequel. These dinosaurs have completely lost their credibility as the ultimate predators. 

Someone could make a pretty good exciting and much more threattening movie about a tiger or a pack lions ecaping the zoo in New York City and killing passerbys.

14 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

a director who understands suspense and scale.

Gareth Edwards?

15 hours ago, Thor said:

Preferably just one person trying to survive on Sorna or Nublar.

Have you heard of Camp Cretaceous?
The newer movies kinda forgot all about Sorna, can't believe I'm saying it but I kinda miss it.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

This franchise has been directed to a point where it is almost impossible to make any good sequel or prequel. These dinosaurs have completely lost their credibility as the ultimate predators. 

The could make a pretty good exciting and much more threattening movie about a tiger or a pack lions ecaping the zoo in New York City and killing passerbys.

Agreed. JP should’ve stayed one film, that’s what Michael Crichton wanted, but he was forced to write a sequel because Hollywood and Spielberg demanded one. 
Alas, this franchise has gone down the F&F road, where “more, bigger, dumber” is the main driving force of every new film. And the mainstream audience seems to love this dumb entertainment, so the filmmakers must think, why change the formula while it works. 

To problem with Jurassic Park and dinos is that the first film was groundbreaking because people for the first time saw CGI, photorealistic dinosaurs. But now everyone knows that it can be done, and seeing them interact with real environment has lost its charm and novelty. We would need a very good story to tell that involves dinos, but they can’t, so what remains is a bunch of great-looking dinos running around doing idiotic things in a boring story. I’m afraid we’ll never see another great JP film, because time can’t be turned back to 1993. 

1 hour ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Have you heard of Camp Cretaceous?

Yes, I've seen the show, despite its kiddie target audience. Pretty good for what it is.

But what I had in mind was a JURASSIC PARK film in the style of THE REVENANT -- a raw, gritty survival story with just one person. That hasn't been done before, and it's in line with the first three movies (only edgier). I would LOVE to see that.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

But what I had in mind was a JURASSIC PARK film in the style of THE REVENANT -- a raw, gritty survival story with just one person. That hasn't been done before, and it's in line with the first three movies (only edgier). I would LOVE to see that.

I thought, that this is the idea of 65. But I haven't seen it.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

So now, it's the story of dinosaurs who, in a laboratory, create humans from dried-out penises found in amber.

It's the next stage in velociraptor evolution

18 minutes ago, JTW said:

To problem with Jurassic Park and dinos is that the first film was groundbreaking because people for the first time saw CGI, photorealistic dinosaurs. But now everyone knows that it can be done, and seeing them interact with real environment has lost its charm and novelty. We would need a very good story to tell that involves dinos, but they can’t, so what remains is a bunch of great-looking dinos running around doing idiotic things in a boring story. I’m afraid we’ll never see another great JP film, because time can’t be turned back to 1993. 

I didn't expect the sequels to be ground breaking. But they simply could have followed the principle of making the action credible. In Jurassic Park the T-Rex and the raptors were credibly highly effective predators and everyone knew, when you meet them in the wilderness without shelter, you are dead. You have no chance.

In Fallen Kingdom we watch one of these killer machines which is, as people say in the movie, the most dangerous and most effective of all, chasing a little girl down an aisle stumbling around and not able to catch the little child. That scene would also have been stupid in Jurassic Park. Ground breakingly stupid.

24 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I didn't expect the sequels to be ground breaking. But they simply could have followed the principle of making the action credible. In Jurassic Park the T-Rex and the raptors were credibly highly effective predators and everyone knew, when you meet them in the wilderness without shelter, you are dead. You have no chance.

In Fallen Kingdom we watch one of these killer machines which is, as people say in the movie, the most dangerous and most effective of all, chasing a little girl down an aisle stumbling around and not able to catch the little child. That scene would also have been stupid in Jurassic Park. Ground breakingly stupid.

Its a homage to the kitchen scene in JP… and both kids survive too

30 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Its a homage to the kitchen scene in JP… and both kids survive too

But in the kitchen scene in JP the raptor mistakes the image in the mirror for the real child. That way, it got xthe additional second, that it needed to escape.

These are the tiny little differences in such things that are important.

Dino mistaking the image in the mirror with the real kid and by that missing it -> brillant idea

Dino unable to run along  a free straight aisle without stumbling over his feed and by that missing a slowly running kid --> stupid idea

If this was an hommage, it was the poorest I have ever seen.

This is like this being an hommage to the safe room scene in Mission Impossible with Eathan Hunt hanging on a wire not allowed to make any false move and any noise.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, I've seen the show, despite its kiddie target audience. Pretty good for what it is.

That could be an incredible movie! Then again, I’ve heard how 65 turned out…

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

So now, it's the story of dinosaurs who, in a laboratory, create humans from dried-out penises found in amber.

'Jurassic Prick'. There must already be an adult video with this title featuring some older guys.

20 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Turns out this one will be a crossover with Terminator.  In the future, Skynet is getting taken down by dinosaurs. So, it sends a Terminator back in time to kill a young John Hammond.  

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

That could be an incredible movie! Then again, I’ve heard how 65 turned out…

I don't think 65 is that comparable. That was a guy and a young girl. And with high tech gear. And a rather lacklustre, hokey potboiler (albeit quite entertaining...I've seen it twice), not a visionary and raw survival thriller with one guy against the surroundings. For example, I would have loved to see a whole film about how that little kid in JP3 survived for weeks on the island, but that would have to be done in animation now that the actor is all grown up (no, don't like recastings).

I wouldn't object to watching 65 based on the score which I rather liked.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

After the last five, do we really need another JURASSIC PARK/JURASSIC WORLD? I mean... really?

Freudian slip, or have you decided one of the recent movies was so bad it doesn't exist? :P

Like Thor said, I'd love to return to the island, preferably Sorna since we haven't seen it since 3. Speaking of 3, that still needs expanding...

Oh my Christ, what an awful state mainstream cinema is in. Yes, they'll make money but we are currently in a terrible artistic draught.

Meh. I'll only be interested if this is a trilogy set years in the future, when humans are colonizing the Moon and they bring the dinos with them. DINOS IN SPACE! JURASSIC GALAXY!

9 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Gareth Edwards?

Yes, he's one of the first who came to mind when I wrote that.

His 2014 Godzilla gets a bit of flak but I think it's pretty good. It takes itself a little too seriously but Edwards is very good with scale (as he was in Monsters). He'd be a good choice for a Jurassic Park film IMO. I imagine he would've been asked for Jurassic World had Godzilla not happened first.

13 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Freudian slip, or have you decided one of the recent movies was so bad it doesn't exist? :P

Jurassic park has had 5 sequels.