The Mandalorian & Grogu (2026 Film)

I'm trying to think of Star Wars news that would actually get me really excited. The OT on 4K? The Matessino Star Wars CDs that I'm sure will be announced this summer? Andor season 2 PROBABLY fits the bill.

I mean... I'm sure I'll go see this. Pretty sure.

So I'm assuming this is coming before the Dave Filoni Avengers style Mando-verse movie and not replacing it?

Is this the Filoniverse movie that was announced a while ago? Or will Lucasfilm release two Dave Filoni movies? Perhaps the other one that was planned got canned and this came up in its place?

Anyway, I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Pretty rare for a movie based on a TV show that is still airing to translate its small screen success to the big screen, like The X-Files: Fight the Future.

47 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Is this the Filoniverse movie that was announced a while ago? Or will Lucasfilm release two Dave Filoni movies?

48 minutes ago, Toillion said:

So I'm assuming this is coming before the Dave Filoni Avengers style Mando-verse movie and not replacing it?

“The Mandalorian & Grogu will lead Lucasfilm's ongoing feature-development slate, including films helmed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, James Mangold, and Dave Filoni, who is also currently developing Ahsoka Season 2, among those in the works.”

It appears this is a new movie distinct from the ones previously announced, and Filoni’s is still go.

So as far as we know there's 4 Star Wars movies currently in production:

• The Mandalorian & Grogu, directed by Jon Favreau and produced by Dave Filoni;
  • Rey's New Jedi Order, directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy;
  • Dawn of the Jedi, directed by James Mangold;
  • The Filoniverse epic Avengers-like crossover, directed by Dave Filoni;

Out of all of those, I believe Mangold's movie has the biggest chance at being cancelled, especially given the poor reception of Indy 5. The Filoniverse crossover may become a Disney+ minisseries if The Mandalorian & Grogu flops.

Are those the only four left now?

I lost track which of these were were officially canceled vs just haven't had any updates in a while

• Kevin Feige's movie
  • Taiia Waititi's movie
  • Damon  Linelof's movie
  • Rian Johnson's trilogy
  • Patty Jenkin's Rogue Squadron movie
  • J.D. Dillard's movie

I'm sure there's been more too, lol.  Well, there was Josh Trank's Boba Fett movie, which sort of turned into The Mandalorian, and the Obi-Wan movie, which sort of turned into the Obi-Wan show

I don't think any of these three will happen, regardless of they being officially cancelled or not.

Feige is too busy trying to fix the Marvel ship before it sinks. Johnson has all the reasons in the world (i.e. lots of Netflix money and hatred from the fans who disliked TLJ) not to do a Star Wars ever again.

Waititi's is the only movie with a tiny chance of happening, but I imagine that after Love & Thunder becoming synonymous with Marvel movies getting worse after Phase 3 and Next Goal Wins becoming a disaster with critics and at the box office, I think Disney will think twice before hiring him to do another blockbuster.

Maybe this mando movie is a refurbished season 4 (than could not be done in time because of the strikes)  

i hope it feels 100% cinematic…

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Out of all of those, I believe Mangold's movie has the biggest chance at being cancelled, especially given the poor reception of Indy 5.

I fear the same.

Which is a crying shame.

Indy 5 was FAR better than I feared.

And I'm one helluva Indy fan!

Dawn of the Jedi sounds intriguing too!

45 minutes ago, Jay said:
  • Kevin Feige's movie
  • Taiia Waititi's movie
  • Damon  Linelof's movie
  • Rian Johnson's trilogy
  • Patty Jenkin's Rogue Squadron movie
  • J.D. Dillard's movie

First I heard of Damon Lindelof and J.D. Dillard.

The second I never heard of at all; the first wrote Star Trek Into Darkness, of which the shittyness is only eclipsed by JJ's TRoS.

Both truly horrid mutilations of what should've been awe-inspiring stories.

Pretty sure Rogue Squadron is dead in the water, after WW48's failure.

Which I think is really nasty, since there was such a public announcement teaser video about it released to YouTube.

I was actually quite curious about this one!

I'm also still hoping against hope to see more of Rian Johnson back in Star Wars.

The Last Jedi actually was so intriguing that I got curious about what might happen next.

(Not Palpatine's return. THAT was absolutely the LEAST interesting thing that could've happened. I just pretend it didn't happen and just imagine my own continuation instead.)

3 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

First I heard of Damon Lindelof and J.D. Dillard.

We even have a thread for each project!

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34862-damon-lindelof-star-wars-project/

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31637-new-star-wars-movie-in-the-works-with-sleight-filmmaker/

55 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Maybe this mando movie is a refurbished season 4 (than could not be done in time because of the strikes)  

i hope it feels 100% cinematic…

That is how it feels to me too. 

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Pretty rare for a movie based on a TV show that is still airing to translate its small screen success to the big screen

Cartoon Network does it all the time... to varying degrees of success

• Rey’s New Jedi Order, directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy
• Damon Lindelof’s movie

These are the same thing, but Damon Lindelof is no longer associated with it.

• The Mandalorian & Grogu, directed by Jon Favreau and produced by Dave Filoni
• The Filoniverse epic Avengers-like crossover, directed by Dave Filoni

I’d guess the former is a refinement of the latter, or the latter is shelved/theoretical.

• Dawn of the Jedi, directed by James Mangold

Officially announced in 2023, supposedly still on.

• Lando

Officially announced in 2023.

• Taika Waititi’s movie

Still in development as of 2023.

• Patty Jenkin’s Rogue Squadron movie

• Kevin Feige’s movie

• J.D. Dillard’s movie

All officially dead.

• Rian Johnson’s trilogy

“Indefinitely postponed.”

13 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Cartoon Network does it all the time... to varying degrees of success

Does it? The only times I saw a Cartoon Network show heading to the theaters was with the PowerPuff Girls Movie in 2002 (which was a box office bomb) and Teen Titans Go to the Movies (which performed decently, but it was also a DC property).

I guess I know why they did this... to restart Star Wars in theaters with something familiar (and non-divisive, for the most part). The emphasis on "Grogu" kinda gives that off.

To think this will be my first Star Wars movie in theaters....

It’s like stock broker moving all investments from television to cinema. 

Here’s an idea: Make it GOOD. 

26 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

To think this will be my first Star Wars movie in theaters....

Are you very young, or did you only recently get into Star Wars?

The first time I actually saw a SW movie in theaters was with the sequels.

I was already born when the prequels came out but I didn't get to see them in theaters, mostly because my parents weren't (and still aren't) huge Star Wars folks. I don't even think they even saw the Original Trilogy in theaters back when they were teens (but my mom did see Raiders, oh gosh, how I envy her :().

So, in 1999, instead of seeing TPM I saw Disney's Tarzan (a much better movie). In 2002, instead of AOTC I saw Sam Raimi's Spider-Man and Lilo & Stitch (also much better). And in 2005, it was the year I first saw the Original Trilogy at home, but still waited for the DVD to see ROTS. And it was actually a pretty occasion: my parents went to a party, they left me home alone and I spent the time watching the movie, which I thought was pretty epic (I was 12 at the time lol).

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So, in 1999, instead of seeing TPM I saw Disney's Tarzan (a much better movie).

Ah yes. The OTHER Brian Blessed movie.

10 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

• Rey’s New Jedi Order, directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy
• Damon Lindelof’s movie

These are the same thing, but Damon Lindelof is no longer associated with it.

• The Mandalorian & Grogu, directed by Jon Favreau and produced by Dave Filoni
• The Filoniverse epic Avengers-like crossover, directed by Dave Filoni

I’d guess the former is a refinement of the latter, or the latter is shelved/theoretical.

• Dawn of the Jedi, directed by James Mangold

Officially announced in 2023, supposedly still on.

• Lando

Officially announced in 2023.

• Taika Waititi’s movie

Still in development as of 2023.

• Patty Jenkin’s Rogue Squadron movie

• Kevin Feige’s movie

• J.D. Dillard’s movie

All officially dead.

• Rian Johnson’s trilogy

“Indefinitely postponed.”

Feige's movie is dead too

SOURCE

Also, the announcement definitely separated Filoni's movie from TM&G. My guess is the movie replaces Season 4.

EDIT: Rogue Squadron was scrapped too.

SOURCE

5 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Also, the announcement definitely separated Filoni's movie from TM&G. My guess is the movie replaces Season 4.

I imagine The Mandalorian & Grogu will serve as a build-up to Filoni's movie, which presumably will act like the ending of a lot of plots established on his shows (Ahsoka, Mandalorian, Rebels, etc).

Either way, if TM&G flops (and there's a huge chance that that might happen), I imagine Filoni's movie will be reporpused into a Disney+ minisseries (or even cancelled at all, depending of how badly it flops, but that is harder to happen).

13 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Feige's movie is dead too

EDIT: Rogue Squadron was scrapped too.

That’s what I meant. I reformatted my post in hopes that it’s now clearer.

• 4 weeks later...

It's official.  The Mandalorian & Grogru will be the first Star Wars film since The Rise of Skywalker in 2019.  Releasing in 2026.

https://www.slashfilm.com/1512366/the-mandalorian-and-grogu-2026-release-kicking-off-new-star-wars-movies/

I propose: "The Mandalorian & Grogu: Nevarro Nummies Caper!"

IMG_3632.jpeg

High jinks and hilarity ensue.

I’m looking forward to this one! My main hope is that the plot is a little more complex than the usual mandalorian episode or season. I also wouldn’t mind if the mandalorian’s dialogue was a little less second grade reading level, but I’ll take whatever they give us. 

I may be wrong, but I think this is kind of a risky bet for Disney at the box office. I don't think there haven't been many theatrically-released movies based on TV shows that until recently were airing episodes that have been hugely successful at the box office.

The only ones I can remember are The X-Files: Fight the Future (which was released between seasons five and six of the show and grossed $189 million on a $66 million budget) and the 2019 Downton Abbey movie (released four years after the series ended and grossed $195 million on a $20 million budget). 

All of them were moderately successful but not the kind of Star Wars money that Disney surely wants. So they'll have to make the movie appealing also to people who haven't seen the show.

49 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I may be wrong, but I think this is kind of a risky bet for Disney at the box office. I don't think there haven't been many theatrically-released movies based on TV shows that until recently were airing episodes that have been hugely successful at the box office.

The only ones I can remember are The X-Files: Fight the Future (which was released between seasons five and six of the show and grossed $189 million on a $66 million budget) and the 2019 Downton Abbey movie (released four years after the series ended and grossed $195 million on a $20 million budget). 

All of them were moderately successful but not the kind of Star Wars money that Disney surely wants. So they'll have to make the movie appealing also to people who haven't seen the show.

Big difference to the series you mentioned, they were broadcasted on public television and not on an exclusive streaming service. Therefore, it is indeed quite risky. 

And the title is dumb. 

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Big difference to the series you mentioned, they were broadcasted on public television and not on an exclusive streaming service. Therefore, it is indeed quite risky. 

And the title is dumb. 

I don't think it is that different. The point is: all of those were shows that people could watch at home (whether on "regular" television or on a streamer) and then went theatrical. 

I imagine The X-Files was as popular, or maybe even more, by the time the movie came out than The Mandalorian is now (TXF had an average of about 20 million viewers per episode on season 5, and that's just on American TV) and yet the movie grossed less than $200m, which was decent enough for its budget but not the kind of box office money Disney would want out of a Mandalorian movie. 

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

:up:

As far as I'm concerned, this seems to be another bad decision from Disney. I believe once again they've greenlit a project that only has a title and no definite script yet. Going back to "The Mandalorian" series, adding "& Grogu" to the movie title is a final disavowal of the poor masked character, who would be quite bland without his partner Grogu, without whom the series would have sunk into the Sarlacc long ago...

With this film, Disney wants to capitalize on "Baby Yoda" (Isn't he adorable?) that everyone now knows, although probably few of them have actually seen an episode of Mandalorian. When you make a film around the popularity of a "cute" character rather than around a good story, it rarely results in a memorable product.

45 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I believe once again they've greenlit a project that only has a title and no definite script yet

Nah, this movie is just season 4's story changed from 8 episodes to one movie.

The season 4 scrips were finished since May 2023.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nah, this movie is just season 4's story changed from 8 episodes to one movie.

Okay, so it's intended as a direct sequel to the series? That's risky. I hope at best it would be a standalone movie that everybody could enjoy, even if they've never seen the series.

And, well, if Disney said that, yes, it's intended as the fourth and final season of the series, but no, you don't need to have seen the first three seasons to enjoy it... Well, does that mean the first three seasons were crap? :lol:

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think this is the right link... Lol. This links to this year's IFMCA Awards nominations, and it doesn't have anything to do with Mandalorian.

If it's anything like the first two seasons this could be a good thing, but if it's just more like that atrocious season 3, no thanks...

Such terrible writing, nothing like the amazing quality of the previous episodes.

On 09/01/2024 at 6:43 PM, Edmilson said:

So as far as we know there's 4 Star Wars movies currently in production:

• The Mandalorian & Grogu, directed by Jon Favreau and produced by Dave Filoni;
  • Rey's New Jedi Order, directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy;
  • Dawn of the Jedi, directed by James Mangold;
  • The Filoniverse epic Avengers-like crossover, directed by Dave Filoni;

Out of all of those, I believe Mangold's movie has the biggest chance at being cancelled, especially given the poor reception of Indy 5. The Filoniverse crossover may become a Disney+ minisseries if The Mandalorian & Grogu flops.

Dawn of the Jedi better also feature Jennifer.

Dawn of the Jedi is the one that looks more interesting to me. 

I still think that this Filoniverse movie will be moved to D+ and become a minisseries.