James Horner's HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS (1989) - NEW! 2024 Intrada Expanded Edition

Jay

Great news, I might pick this one up, as I loved the film when I first saw it as a child. 

Woah!

I noticed this yesterday amongst my other earlier Intrada purchases when looking on my shelf, and remembered being annoyed that Horner had evidently nixed some cues and generally wanted his usual 'listening experience' when making the first one - the entire album feels far more curated than it probably is in the film. First rate Horner score and a great movie too.

A bit like Ghostbusters 2, the initial album largedly satisfied my needs but I'm sure I'll end up getting this one too. The labels are collectively going nuclear with Horner right now!

Yes!

I remember I saw this movie on VHS at my cousins's house during a sleepover back when I was 8. At the time I didn't notice the score, but it's cool that they're finally releasing a complete version.

1 hour ago, Stark said:

We’re reaching quantities of Horner expansions that shouldn’t be possible!

Kylo Ren More GIF - KyloRen More TheLastJedi - Discover & Share GIFs | Kylo  ren, Last jedi, Star wars

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Hard to believe this film is 35 years old now

Just like Batman, The Last Crusade, Ghostbusters 2, Lethal Weapon 2 and, by the end of the year, The Little Mermaid and Back to the Future Part 2.

It must've been a crazy year for movie nerds! Probably the most packed full of blockbusters since Jaws and Star Wars invented the concept.

Yes, it was great being an eight-year-old in 1989. 

The funny thing is, in comparison 1987 and 1988 didn't have as many blockbusters, aside from a few obvious ones, like Roger Rabbit:

image.png

image.png

Then, in 1989:

image.png 

And the 90s began with a bang on the following year:

image.png

Of course, the definition of what constitutes a blockbuster these days is much different than what it was back then. Movies like Rain Man, Coming to America and Twins were certainly big events back in 88, while in 1990 Ghost and Home Alone (a romance and a family comedy) outgrossed every 1989 movie. Heck, Pretty Woman and Dances with Wolves made more money at the box office than Batman!

In other words: the definition of a blockbuster being an action/sci-fi/fantasy movie based on "nerdy" stuff, like superheroes, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc., only took full force on the 2000s and 2010s.

Wow, those were all amazing years at the movies!

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Just like Batman, The Last Crusade, Ghostbusters 2, Lethal Weapon 2 and, by the end of the year, The Little Mermaid and Back to the Future Part 2.

It must've been a crazy year for movie nerds! Probably the most packed full of blockbusters since Jaws and Star Wars invented the concept.

It was a great year to be 20. You forgot the Abyss. And everyone forgets Always.

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Even Spielberg himself probably forgets that he made Always lol

The Abyss did bomb at the box office back in 89. It's funny that in the late 80s a James Cameron science fiction about water was a box office failure while a DC superhero movie starring Michael Keaton as Batman and an Indiana Jones movie where he fights nazis were breaking records. A little more than three decades later and the exact opposite of that happened :lol:

I still love Always. The movie. The score? It's an all time classic and I have nothing to apologize for. It's in my "The Black Hole" category of expanded scores that I bought and years later I still listen to CONSTANTLY.

27 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I still love Always. The movie. The score? It's an all time classic and I have nothing to apologize for. It's in my "The Black Hole" category of expanded scores that I bought and years later I still listen to CONSTANTLY.

I don’t know about Always as a film but, The Black Hole (movie and score) will always live rent free in my head. 

I dunno heaps about this score but why are those 3 short cues in an "extras" section after the main assembly, instead of presented chronologically? Are they non-orchestral or something?

I wonder if this microedit has been restored on the new album (something Horner edited on the previous release, according to a poster on FSM).

It was closer to 9 and a half minutes of music left off of the 2009 album, and with that some of the "Goonies" score references. One of those, the three-note intro to the Goonies theme was edited out of the finale 'Thanksgiving Dinner', although the rest of that quote played intact.

Considering the track title in question is different, I'm guessing yes.

Right, and joining them with other tracks in a way that musically makes sense is impossible I guess. Or just too hard. Well at least they're included and guaranteed no bad edits I guess.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Horner’s main title music is a nod to Raymond Scott’s 1937 “Powerhouse B” tune, often referenced in Carl Stalling’s Warner Bros. cartoon scores and a perfect accompaniment for the Rube Goldberg-style contraptions of Wayne Szalinski.

Hehe nice underselling, wiki says Scott's estate threatened to sue over its use and the lack of credit.

Oh and still no samples. Intrada, if you guys are reading this, the sample folder is not publically accessible anymore, you fixed it months ago, no need to overthink it.

Turns out that when Horner made his album and removed those cues, I just added them back in to the original Intrada program.

Hence the only actual new content I'd get from this new set are the 'extras' bits. I'd really hoped there would be more additional material, in the vein of the Species set.

I might hold fire and wait to see what else emerges from Intrada in the next few months.

It's an instant order from me - even though I have the 2009 Intrada and there's not much added material, it's good to see it available and not in a limited release this time.

I dared pop my head above the parapet on the FB Intrada page to say I thought it was a shame they'd just re-used the same artwork (front and back) rather than having some fun with it, giving it a LLL-level of reimagined artwork, some deluxe presentation and a bit of TLC.  Got shot down quite badly (par for the course it seems) but I do feel it would have been interesting and exciting to see Warm Butter do a special edition, or Matt Ferguson or Jim Titus create some bespoke artwork.  Roger seemed to take it as a personal affront - that the photo montage was classic artwork, "iconic" no less - whereas to me, it's just a photo montage. 

Interested to hear what others think - personally I don't think the new artwork LLL frequently use detracts from any classic artwork, make it less identifiable or reduce its iconic feel, but perhaps I'm in a minority of one.

19 minutes ago, HanFiredFirst said:

rather than having some fun with it, giving it a LLL-level of reimagined artwork, some deluxe presentation and a bit of TLC

Haha those terms are pretty alien to them. I love most of the things Titus does and like most of the things Goldwasser does, but I generally dislike that Intrada always lazily reuses the originally used art, be it good or bad, and executes the reworking usually not very well. But in some cases like this where it's good art and iconic/memorable enough for what it is (not exactly a milestone masterpiece movie or score in most contexts), I have no real problem with it, only with the execution (surface level cleanup with a lot of dirt left in, no real color correction so the white is not actually white and the shadows are bluish, not fitting font for the added "Expanded..." text, and a very cramped feeling down there with the text just barely not touching things on both sides).

Just now, JTN said:

Regarding the “great” Intrada label:

I’m still waiting for my INCHON replacement discs…

Did you have some faulty discs?  

E-mail Intrada asking for your free copy (stating your case for why you should get one), then share Roger's reply with us - which I'm sure you will have no issue doing unless his response is to point out that you are wrong....

I would love to get Horner’s score since I missed the previous release. The film is pure 80s escapism, and the score is so much fun. 

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm not sure why Intrada's artwork is so low effort but it's certainly another missed opportunity.

For anyone who can't see how the official artwork is flawed, this GIF might help. I did basic colour correction, digital dirt removal and fixed the white levels (they're actually a dull greenish grey on the official art). The key art is riddled with dirt and scratch artifacts from the raw scan of the poster artwork... frankly it's baffling even the most basic cleanup wasn't attempted here. Even the background is riddled with dirt.

"But it's iconic!" lols. Any chance you could share the cleaned up art - great job at removing all the detritus and bringing the image to life!

There were 23 cues recorded for Honey, I Shrunk The Kids.  Looking at the tracklist, this 2024 Intrada has every single one of them included and the chronological order would be:

1. 01 Main Title (1:58)
  2. 02 Strange Neighbors (1:49)
  3. 03 Test Run (2:08)
  4. 19 Grand Slam (0:32)
  5. 20 Laser Beam (0:31) {this track contains two cues}
  6. 04 Shrunk (5:38)
  7. 05 A New World (3:31)
  8. 06 A Long Way Home (3:33)
  9. 07A Bee Flight
  10. 08 The Machine Works (2:05)
  11. 07B After The Bees
  12. 09 Watering The Grass (4:13)
  13. 10 Ant Rodeo (3:45)
  14. 11 Flying Szalinski (1:59) {this track contains two cues}
  15. 12 Letting Antony Go (1:51)
  16. 13 Night Time (5:04)
  17. 14 Scorpion Attack (3:34)
  18. 15 Lawn Mower! (5:44)
  19. 16 Eaten Alive (2:45)
  20. 17 Big Russ Volunteers (1:24)
  21. 18 Thanksgiving Dinner And End Credits (5:28)

Now, track 21 "Astride The Ant", based on the name and length, appears to be the same cue that already makes up the second half of the track "Flying Szalinki".  However, it could be an alternate, or something else previously unknown to exist for this score.  It remains to be seen!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Now, track 21 "Astride The Ant", based on the name and length, appears to be the same cue that already makes up the second half of the track "Flying Szalinki".

But isn’t Track 21 “Thanksgiving Dinner and End Credits”? 

Then I can’t find the track “Astride the Ant”…

2 minutes ago, JTN said:

Then I can’t find the track “Astrid the Ant”…

There is no track called that.