John Williams returning to Vienna for two concerts, December 7 and 8, 2024

Jay

I often see Thomas Ades mentioned as one of the leading contemporary classical composers. Like... a rather uncontroversial top 10 or so.

Interesting to see him be listed on a Williams Vienna concert as a conductor.

Are they going to be conducting at the same time, like that one time JW shared the podium with Dudamel? :lol:

Now that I think of it, I would not mind hearing a piece or two by Ades himself on the programme. A good diversion from the usual thunder and blazes...

Also find the Williams/Ades combo very random, but definitely not complaining...I wonder how that came about!

Well it reminded me of this post:

So Williams has cited him before as one of his favorites and they have apparently been friendly at Tanglewood. I guess mutual respect lead to an opportunity to perform together. Maybe Williams started writing letters to Tommy Baby. 

:drool::love2: wouauwwww

I would love to hear the Wiener Philhamoniker  - together with the famous  Wiener Sängerknaben - perform Exultate Justi  ( from "Empire of the sun " ) and Dry your tears Afrika ( from Amistad ) - THAT would FANTASTIC  !!!! 

the mentioned  (boy)choir have performed several times with the Philharmoniker.....

But   I am "affraid"  that we will  get the  "usual"  stuff.... ;)

4 hours ago, JW collector said:

:drool::love2: wouauwwww

I would love to hear the Wiener Philhamoniker  - together with the famous  Wiener Sängerknaben - perform Exultate Justi  ( from "Empire of the sun " ) and Dry your tears Afrika ( from Amistad ) - THAT would FANTASTIC  !!!!

Or they could get the Wiener Singverein for some things, the adult choir of the Musikverein who handles most of the big orchestra/choir with the Philharmoniker and many other world class orchestras and conductors at the Musikverein (they're financed out of the membership fees for the Musikfreunde, so if you get a Musikfreunde subscription to get early access to the JW tickets, you're more or less directly paying them, among others).

I'd be even more jealous of that friend of mine who's a member of that choir than I already am…

34 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Advance booking for members begins on 11/09/2024 at 9.00 am.

The general advance sale starts on 18/09/2024 at 9.00 am.

https://www.musikverein.at/en/archive/?scope=all&q=john+williams&sdate=2024-12-01&edate=2024-12-29&sorting=ASC

What's involved in becoming a member?

Plenty I suppose. It's their standard source of income (along with ticket sales and plenty of official grants, I'm sure), and that pays for the house, the organisation, and the choir, among other things.

I've been a member for the previous two Williams concerts. Wouldn't have been necessary the first time (because those two concerts took a long time to sell out), but the initial tickets for Vienna II were gone within a few hours. More opened up later, but if you want to make sure you get a good seat, you should probably pay the fee and have two separate browsers open when tickets go on sale.

I'll probably queue at the ticket office. First time I was there hours before, and it wasn't until 7 some more people showed up. Second time I got there around 7 and found a few people already queueing.

I don’t think JW had a pleasant experience in London in 2018. Probably why he doesn’t want to return. 

Well, we in London - not five miles from the Albert Hall! - are waiting with hope!

Wonderful news! I haven't had the time to write anything in the Berlin concerts thread and now this... It's hard to keep up with the Maestro these days ;)

5 hours ago, JTN said:

I don’t think JW had a pleasant experience in London in 2018. Probably why he doesn’t want to return. 

Do tell. Aggressive fans/autograph hounds?

37 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Do tell. Aggressive fans/autograph hounds?

Uh, he fell ill and wasn’t able to conduct?

4 hours ago, JTN said:

Uh, he fell ill and wasn’t able to conduct?

Right. Brain fart.

Speaking of which, there was a guy next to me at Carnegie Hall who flew in from London, or thereabouts, who was going to attend that concert.

For anyone who went to CH, and wondered who that guy was that kept yelling "WOOOO!!" and "YEAAAAH!!," it was this guy. :lol:

It was infectious, so I joined in a little.

Well, then I guess I will have to try again and see him both in Berlin AND Vienna :yes:

And I'm guessing his connection to Vienna has something to do with Anne-Sophie Mutter?

I am also a disappointed Brit who was in the Albert Hall in 2018.