Hal Leonard Signature Editions

filmmusic

5 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

American Journey is fun.

I wonder if he tinkered with it again.  His concert version of the Civil Rights piece is magnificent.  He would kinda, sorta, mostly use it again for the Patriot, but it came first.  

6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Oddly, it’s still not Episode IX, but there’s apparently another new Signature Edition on the way, American Journey:

Not odd at all.  American Journey was (very early) 2000 and it is now being published.  So, we have a good 18 years left before we should worry about IX.  

• 1 year later...

Hey, didn't Williams just write a theme for Hal Leonard and debut it at the Hollywood Bowl?  Thought I read a thread about that somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

This may have been mentioned here many moons ago but not sure- I have the piano-cello version of geisha but I always thought there was a version like that for Chairmans Waltz separately as well, but I can only seem to find the orchestra version. Does anyone know anything about that? Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

The still unpublished Rise of Skywalker suite makes another appearance, advertising the New York Pops’ concert of music from all nine episodes and both anthology films:

image.png

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Better to be performed than not, but it is weird that it has not been published.  I am a bit surprised that Williams did not release anything from The Post either. 

Well it isn't exactly catchy is it....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure we're not allowed to ask this here, but does anyone happen to have a PDF of the oboe concerto w/ piano? I'm going to give it to one of my students to play but I somehow lost my copy along the way. Thanks!

Well, not a signature edition, but the latest John Williams title is a concert band arrangement of the Obi-Wan theme.

Maybe a signature edition will follow.

https://www.halleonard.com/product-family/PC25724/obi-wan-from-iobi-wan-kenobii

On 22/10/2022 at 1:30 PM, filmmusic said:

It seems like this line - the Hal Leonard Signature editions - has died...

I don't think they're dead, it's just that John's busy with future classical right now. Probably even trying to put the suite of the rise of skywalker in different movements in one full score, especially Obi-Wan's tv theme.

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, DangerMotif said:

I assume the odds are slim but worth trying.IMG_4166.jpeg

I’m starting to have the feeling that there’s more chance to get a suite from Indy 5 soon, than TROS or  anything else.

I was just thinking yesterday that at this point I doubt we're ever getting a TROS Signature Edition. I always got the impression that Disney was really happy their bosses started the pandemic because it helped people forget the fact that Star Wars movies went out with such a wet fart of reception. 

On 08/06/2023 at 11:13 AM, SilverTrumpet said:

They usually do. They replied to me in February of 2020 saying to look out in the what's new section of their website for a TROS Signature Edition.

I think at this point, you are entitled to tell them that you left an edition of your signature in the snow outside their house and that it is in their mother's handwriting.  

• 3 weeks later...

Not too hopeful for getting all the violin arrangements, although we did get Tango pour una Cabeza and Witches Dance, alas both recorded in those forms never really made famous.

Still never got a lot of the scores for the concert works, piano arrangement with soloist or even the chamber music. I'm surprised at the very least Conversations was never released.

23 hours ago, DangerMotif said:

Would hope the non violin one

I think this is the one we get, and I would bet it is the version played in concerts, not the OST one (piano versus flute opening).  I think the OST version was recorded before we got the performances.  

On 27/12/2020 at 2:27 AM, BrotherSound said:

The very first Star Wars suite was published by Fox Fanfare Music, Inc. in 1977, with five movements:

I. Main Title

II. Princess Leia’s Theme

III. The Little People

IV. The Battle

V. The Throne Room and End Title

This version used the original ending, without the throne quote, in both spots. This is the version used for the National Philharmonic/Gerhardt recording, though this recording also includes ‘Here They Come’, which was not part of the original suite.

The following year (1978), a revised suite was published, expanded to seven movements:

I. Main Title

II. The Little People

III. Here They Come

IV. Princess Leia’s Theme

V. The Cantina Band

VI. The Battle

VII. The Throne Room & End Title

This version retained the ending as originally written, but the final movement introduces the revised ending with the throne room quote. This is the version used for the Los Angeles Philharmonic / Mehta recording, though they did not record ‘Here They Come’. This is also the version used for the Return of the Jedi end credits, taken straight from this published version.

In 1997, Hal Leonard published a third version of the Star Wars suite, once again five movements, but swapping in two selections from The Empire Strikes Back, which were a part of its now out-of-print suite:

I. Main Title

II. Princess Leia’s Theme

III. The Imperial March (Darth Vader’s Theme)

IV. Yoda’s Theme

V. Throne Room & End Title

This version uses the throne room ending in both places. I believe the first recording to use this version was the Skywalker Symphony/Williams recording, so it may have been a change made at the sessions that was then incorporated when the Hal Leonard suite was first published.

It’s my understanding (from the original LP notes) that Charles Gerhardt personally asked JW to add ‘Here They Come” when preparing the recording, thus expanding the suite to 6 movements so it wouldn’t have existed in concert form at the time of the Mehta recording. Sorry if thats been mentioned before. Interesting to see how this has evolved (for concert performance/recording) over the years 

• 1 month later...

This is weird. I can't add it to the cart on jwpepper. It says "No new items added. Proceed to cart to finalize order", but nothing gets added to the cart. Also weird is that I tried this earlier today and I could add it, but it said item was not in stock.

I'm hoping this means that the suite is coming soon, but there's nothing listed on Hal Leonard's own site or even Sheet Music Plus. Fingers crossed, though! We've been waiting for this one for a loooooooooooooooooong time.

Apparently it's identical to "Farewell" for 3:55 then goes into a different ending, but we don't know what or for how much longer. 

I believe this is still the only excerpt of a performance out there

On 06/09/2022 at 10:23 PM, igger6 said:

Hey, didn't Williams just write a theme for Hal Leonard and debut it at the Hollywood Bowl?  Thought I read a thread about that somewhere.

Hal's theme? 

On 23/10/2022 at 4:31 AM, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Well it isn't exactly catchy is it....

You're spectacularly wrong. 

Here’s the reply I received 

Amy S. (Sheet Music Plus) 

Aug 7, 2023, 9:03 AM PDT 

Hello

Sheet Music Plus is a division of Hal Leonard, so we should have everything that Hal Leonard, for the most-part.  Looking at Hal's system, and also ours, the John Williams Signature Edition of Rise of Skywalker has not yet been approved for publication; from what I can tell, it can't even be preordered, yet.  Can you find the item that you were looking at on the other Hal site, and send me the item number?  I'm seeing the "Suite for Orchestra", score/parts as item 4492547.  The stand-alone deluxe score is 4492548.

Bad news from Amy

‘Ah yes, they've got it listed as out 1-3 weeks....but they are getting it from Hal (Pepper is a major Hal Leonard dealer), and they are waiting like everyone else.  Unfortunately, it's not going to be 1-3 weeks, as it's not even approved for press, yet.

Sadly, this item is brand new, and isn't available to anyone at the moment.

Thank you for the extra info!

Amy

On 7/8/2023 at 12:42 PM, Michael G. said:

Hm, why is "The Rise of Skywalker" titled as part 1 here?

In a leak that's going around it is titled part 2

image.png

I guess JW changed his mind and swapped the order. I believe at the Detroit Symphony's premiere performance of the complete suite, The Rise Of Skywalker was in fact the 2nd movement (and Psalm of the Sith was 1st).