Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

4 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

The Blues Brothers.

Totally fair.

1 minute ago, Brando said:

Smokey and the Bandit

I haven't seen that in 40+ years.

The reason this feels off is because the PEOPLE aren't acting like it's real. No amount of special effects perfection is going to fix that.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I once spoke with my taxi driver.

Once.

28 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Are there any terrific real car chases that have people having conversations?

Barry, Season 3 (although technically it’s a motorcycle chase)

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I haven't seen that in 40+ years.

smokey and the bandit GIF by hero0fwar

@TallguyI just remembered, they recently added the first movie to Netflix a couple of weeks ago, in case you decide you want to revisit it and have a great hour and a half:lol:

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Oh you mean REAL car chases. 

image.gif

The sad part is that sound-wise Obi and Ani sound more like they're in a moving vehicle.

That’s because George kept leaning on them to go faster, more intense.  Everyone laughs, but maybe it works.  And Ben Burtt. 

Wow, looks like all the runtime estimates were wrong!

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’ is 2 Hours 34 Minutes

Just a month ago, according to producer Kathleen Kennedy, “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” had a runtime of 142 minutes. 

It seems as though 10 additional minutes were added to the runtime, possibly credits. It is now officially listed as 153 minutes.

This makes it the longest Indiana Jones film ever. The former champ was 1989’s “The Last Crusade” at 128 minutes. 

If it's scored wall to wall, Williams scored a ton of music for this film!

Not even factoring whatever was recorded exclusively for the album.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Wow, looks like all the runtime estimates were wrong!

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’ is 2 Hours 34 Minutes

Here's hoping it's justified and that there's little to no dragging/'bloat'. Raiders came in at a fat-free 115 minutes.

13 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Are there any terrific real car chases that have people having conversations?

what about plane chases?

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Unfinished effects? Which?

compositing elements together, i hear. if it's not correct, then it's just rushed. either way, green screen issues as we would call them today

they also had fake vehicles, everything is old. i just read the comment about green screens and fake cars and laughed

6 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Long movies are best reserved for historical dramas and epics. 

would have fit the prequels and sequels of star wars, if the skill was there

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

what about plane chases?

compositing elements together, i hear. if it's not correct, then it's just rushed. either way, green screen issues as we would call them today

they also had fake vehicles, everything is old. i just read the comment about green screens and fake cars and laughed

Yeah, ILM were apparently somewhat overstretched at the time which led to some of the effects in Last Crusade looking the way they do (there's a particularly shoddy model shot of the stricken German plane after Henry's made the flock of birds fly into it, for example). And a combination of budget reduction and ILM's workload meant that Shatner had to turn to, erm, Bran Ferren for Trek V's effects. 

15 hours ago, Tallguy said:

The reason this feels off is because the PEOPLE aren't acting like it's real. No amount of special effects perfection is going to fix that.

Fury Road has a ton of chase moments shot on top of an STILL truck and lots of composited elements everywhere and it works. it's just the skill, and time.

we have seen footage of real cars being dragged around the street for the above sequence. not a guarantee of anything.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yeah, ILM were apparently somewhat overstretched at the time which led to some of the effects in Last Crusade looking the way they do (there's a particularly shoddy model shot of the stricken German plane after Henry's made the flock of birds fly into it, for example).

Yeah, the whole German plane sequence (including flying into the tunnel as I recall) doesn't look great, even by ILM standards of the day. I think BTTF2 & The Abyss, both which had better SFX than Last Crusade, came out around that time, but you'd think a LucasFilm project (especially such a high profile one) wouldn't be given short shrift.

18 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Yeah, the whole German plane sequence (including flying into the tunnel as I recall) doesn't look great,

I concur, but frankly, because so much of it is played for laughs, the shoddiness doesn't bother me.

The coda of that setpiece is one of the absolute high points of the film: "I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne."

for some reason, the blimp is more annoying that the planes. the plane sequence is hysterical so i don't think about that. by contrast, the endless cartoonish gag above with the inflatable boat doesn't work for me (but Temple is really funny at other times).

I hate the greenscreen! and I hate the cheesy dialogue! And I hate you!

On 15/05/2023 at 5:56 AM, Obi said:

I clicked the link but I don't see any Indiana Jones clips. 

18 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Is it any different to the pulpy, cartoonish tone throughout Temple of Doom?

Nope. It is VERY different from the tone in Raiders. That's why, so far, there is ONE fantastic Indiana Jones movie.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What does he mean when he says this?

He means "Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky."

24 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Nope. It is VERY different from the tone in Raiders. That's why, so far, there is ONE fantastic Indiana Jones movie.

I like the noirish segments in Raiders (let's not pretend it's all the movie either) but i think the pulp action comedy makes the most of the material. it's just difficult to do.

26 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I like the noirish segments in Raiders (let's not pretend it's all the movie either) but i think the pulp action comedy makes the most of the material. it's just difficult to do.

Oh, there is definitely comedy in Raiders. It just doesn't involve... Well, whatever Temple of Doom was. (I've come to appreciate ToD over the years. But this is reminding me of what I've hated about it since I was 15 years old.)

The flying wing fight is the perfect mix of edge of your seat punctuated with laughter. For that matter, so is the basket chase. Heck, even the desert chase has quite a few laugh moments.

Last Crusade mostly gets the balance back, but unfortunately it also makes Marcus and Sallah stupid. I'm not saying Sallah is never played for laughs. But look at Sallah in the first scene where we meet him on his roof. He's almost as cool as Indy!

Oh, and... Star Wars!

I love all three Indy movies. Yes, that is correct, just three, next month we'll hopefully get the fourth one. Whatever happened in 2008 was just a collective nightmare involving atomic bombs, horrible CGI monkeys and Shia LaBeouf trying to be cool.

5 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Oh, there is definitely comedy in Raiders. It just doesn't involve... Well, whatever Temple of Doom was. (I've come to appreciate ToD over the years. But this is reminding me of what I've hated about it since I was 15 years old.)

The flying wing fight is the perfect mix of edge of your seat punctuated with laughter. For that matter, so is the basket chase. Heck, even the desert chase has quite a few laugh moments.

Last Crusade mostly gets the balance back, but unfortunately it also makes Marcus and Sallah stupid. I'm not saying Sallah is never played for laughs. But look at Sallah in the first scene where we meet him on his roof. He's almost as cool as Indy!

Oh, and... Star Wars!

Not forgetting that arguably its funniest moment (Indy shooting the sword-twirling henchman in a 'Fuck THAT shit' stylee) came about due to the local food giving Ford a dose of the squirts leaving him not feeling up to shooting the scripted fight.   

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

a dose of the squirts leaving him not feeling up to shooting the scripted fight.

The most realistic Indy moment of all time and its no contest.

2 hours ago, Brónach said:

I particularly like the entire sequence where Indy and Willie want to fuck

I also like the scene as if from a Leslie Nielsen movie where Willie runs screaming finding animals

Just now, Tom said:

Foreshadowing.  

In a normal prequel, I'd more than accept this sort of thing as foreshadowing. But in this particular case? No. I don't buy it.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I forgot just how truly lame the callback to that moment is in Temple of Doom.

I mean, I like it, but The Sword Trick is great