Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

You know, I was looking through Lucas' short films the other day: his seven student films and two films fresh off of college, and out of those there are two films in there that would pass for the kinds of "tone poems" that he says were his métier. The rest are either narratives (esoteric though they may be) or documentaries.

Such a funny man, with all those pretentions.

at least she looks cool. she's probably the best designed antagonist in all these movies, because she doesn't suffer from the decision that the Nazis in the thirties must seem pathetic (which is a good decision). still, what THAT look demands is to actually believe she'll kill Indy or something.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I can't decide whether The Arab Swordsman, or Genaro On The Toilet, is the best sight gag in cinema history.

The greatest sight gag in cinema history is two guys trying to move a piano across a suspension bridge in the Swiss Alps whilst being accosted by a gorilla.

Change my mind.

Just now, Nick1Ø66 said:

The greatest sight gag in cinema history is two guys trying to move a piano across a suspension bridge in the Swiss Alps whilst being accosted by a gorilla.

Change my mind.

Is there something wrong with the one you have? 

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

She did?

Personally, I find it one of the least appealing looks that Cate Blanchett ever had.

i can't say what my favourite Cate look is

22 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Change my mind.

For those curious:

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not to audiences in 1984, I can tell you that.  This moment SOLD the trailer and got enormous laughs.

Audiences watching the trailer had no knowledge of a "prequel" at that point.  And I'm sure your average ticket buyer had no memory of Raiders being set in '36, when Shanghai 1935 is displayed.  I may be wrong, but I'm not even certain the filmmakers originally set out to make it a prequel, or if that was decided late in the game.

Either way, it was not lame.

Agree, I really like it as well. Normally stuff like that falls flat the second time, but in this case, it's a lot of fun. Yeah, it's played totally to the audience, but it works.

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

I may be wrong, but I'm not even certain the filmmakers originally set out to make it a prequel, or if that was decided late in the game.

You're not wrong. Its not a prequel in the same sense that the Star Wars prequels are, for instance.

But I still don't like it. And I generally don't mind callbacks in movies.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

But I still don't like it.

But you're OK with Gandalf's "IF I SAY BILBO BAGGINS IS A BURGLAR THAN A BURGLAR HE IS" in AUJ? Which totally robs the same bit in FOTR ("BILBO BAGGINS DO NOT TAKE ME FOR SOME CONJURER OF TRICKS") of its surprise and power.

13 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

But you're OK with Gandalf's "IF I SAY BILBO BAGGINS IS A BURGLAR THAN A BURGLAR HE IS" in AUJ?

I am, yes.

I don't think it spoils the later beat.

12 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not to audiences in 1984, I can tell you that.  This moment SOLD the trailer and got enormous laughs.

I honestly don't recall the audience when I saw ToD. I remember the bit was in the trailers and it got a bit of a groan. But it's not like people said "That's it! I'm OUT!"

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

As far as I'm concerned, Mangold's nailed the tone. And we know Raiders and Temple were his primary inspiration for Destiny.

I’m not doubting or challenging this, but just curious if anyone has a link from where this originated.  It sounds fabulous to me, because TLC is for me where it started to falter, though I still adore most of it. 

Curious that Mangold sees something in TLC that he wants to steer away from.   I wonder what it is about it. 

So the livestream has some pretty loud music playing over the coverage:

What are the odds we get JW's OST playing over the red carpet?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

So the livestream has some pretty loud music playing over the coverage:

What are the odds we get JW's OST playing over the red carpet?

I did hear that it will be unseasonably cold in hell today.  

At least with BFG, they played "Sophie and the BFG" as they exited after the premiere, so I guess there's a chance of that. I think they also played "Finale" at one point during arrivals, though. 

Well the presenter just said if we stay tuned, we'll hear music from Indiana Jones, including "the famous track."

For a moment I thought she would say it's from the new film, alas.

Oh now they're talking about John Williams, even though he's not at the premiere.

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

They seem to have a synthesizer version of the Raiders March playing

Good heavens! How much must THAT have cost?!?

2 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

New footage and BTS stuff.

This was the perfect place for a few Williams' tracks... I miss old (Skull had it, so not that old) BTS stuff that had the music from the films.