The Official Quartet Records Thread

Ollie

On 04/07/2023 at 1:32 PM, crocodile said:

Listening to the set now. Truly, this is some of the most gorgeous writing you'll find in modern film scoring. I'm not even exaggerating here. Disappointed with latest tentpole? You'll find your magic here, and the fact Aaltio achieves this with really tiny ensembles (at least for first two) puts so many big scores to shame. It definitely proves you don't need 100 players to achieve awe-inspiring results if you're a good composer. Classy stuff, so happy to be able to finally own those on disc.

Karol

Totally agree with everything you said! If you haven't heard Panu's appearance on The Goldsmith Odyssey late last year, do check it out and hear me gush over his work, lol!

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/11785925-odyssey-interviews-amin-matalqa-and-panu-aaltio

Yavar 

On 04/07/2023 at 10:32 PM, crocodile said:

Listening to the set now. Truly, this is some of the most gorgeous writing you'll find in modern film scoring. I'm not even exaggerating here. Disappointed with latest tentpole? You'll find your magic here, and the fact Aaltio achieves this with really tiny ensembles (at least for first two) puts so many big scores to shame. It definitely proves you don't need 100 players to achieve awe-inspiring results if you're a good composer. Classy stuff, so happy to be able to finally own those on disc.

Karol

Got my copy of this release today! I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. Wonderful music. :) 

As a small sidenote it is nice to see that they included some bonus tracks from the Nature Symphony, a condensed live-to-picture version these scores with a full symphonic orchestra ensemble. The recordings seem to come from this kind of live event.

On 06/07/2023 at 11:29 AM, Incanus said:

Got my copy of this release today! I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. Wonderful music. :) 

As a small sidenote it is nice to see that they included some bonus tracks from the Nature Symphony, a condensed live-to-picture version these scores with a full symphonic orchestra ensemble. The recordings seem to come from this kind of live event.

By the way, would you recommed the documentaries? I've never had a chance to see any of them. 

Karol

12 hours ago, Romão said:

Money is a bit tight at the moment, but you have all made me very eager to get this

I don't think you can go far wrong. :)

Karol

On 07/07/2023 at 10:22 PM, crocodile said:

By the way, would you recommed the documentaries? I've never had a chance to see any of them. 

Karol

Yes I would certainly recommend watching them. I have seen the first two and they were a lovely combination of beautiful visuals of Finnish nature and music and feel more poetic that your average wildlife documentary.

• 2 months later...

SOUNDS OF CINECITTÀ (6 CDs)

THE SILVER AGE OF THE ITALIAN FILM MUSIC

PRICE: 36,95€
IN STOCK
Limited edition: 500 units
85395314-8884-1082-cef5-80857f29f505.jpg

Quartet Records is proud to present SOUNDS OF CINECITTÀ, a collection of 6 CDs comprising nine obscure but oft-requested Italian scores from the Silver Age period of the ’60s and ’70s—undoubtedly the most fertile years of a unique cinematographic style that was admired and loved around the world.

The Italian Silver Age was also an incredibly prolific and immensely popular era of film scoring that gave us the likes of Ennio Morricone, Bruno Nicolai, Piero Piccioni, Riz Ortolani, Armando Trovajoli, Stelvio Cipriani, Carlo Rustichelli, Piero Umiliani, Francesco De Masi, Luis Bacalov, Carlo Savina and Guido & Maurizio De Angelis, among many others. The 1960s and ’70s boasted an unmistakable flair for memorable tunes, great thematic variations and scores that could work exceptionally well on an album, away from their respective films. In fact, the large number of great scores tied to barely known movies has become the bane of soundtrack producers as there are so many wonderful scores that go unheard due to the relative obscurity of the pictures or the composers. Even if we were to release three or four titles each month, it would be decades before we could close the book on the great archives of Italian film music. 

For this reason, Quartet Records aims to speed up the process and offer it at a reasonable price with its new collection of multi-CD sets dedicated to the Italian Silver Age. The aim of this project is to release rich, thematically connected box sets, each featuring scores that may be a hard sell on their own—but which should be more enticing when given a deluxe “bulk discount.” This first such collection includes a great variety of genres and composers—from marital dramas and comedies through horror and heist movies to the family film VERSO L’AVVENTURA, featuring commercially underrepresented composers such as Daniele Patucchi, Gian Piero Reverberi, Teo Usuelli, Gino Peguri, Romano Mussolini, Carlo Pes, Peppino de Luca, Gregorio García Segura and Fred Bongusto. What all the scores included have in common is a strong romantic and lounge vibe, so characteristic of Italian soundtracks of those years.

Some scores are either previously unreleased or, if there have been any prior digital releases, significantly expanded. Others have only been previously released on LP (CARA SPOSA, EUTANASIA DI UN AMORE, IL DEBITO CONIUGALE) or, like IL DIVORZIO, in an obscure Japanese edition decades ago. 

This collection has been produced by Claudio Fuiano and painstakingly mastered by Chris Malone from the original master tapes. The package includes a richly illustrated 28-page full-color booklet with an in-depth essay by the late and much missed Gergely Hubai, who had worked hard on this project for several months. We hope to release more boxes with so many treasures if this initial release does well.

https://quartetrecords.com/product/sounds-of-cinecitta-the-silver-age-of-italian-film-music-6-cds/

This actually sounds like a pretty good deal and idea. Still "if this initial release does well" sounds funny for 500 copies.:lol:

One would think so yes, but sadly few people realize just how much the CD market has contracted, for anything but the most popular film scores like Williams blockbusters.

Looks like a super cool set at an amazing price, along the lines of the discounted grab-bag sets done by Lukas Kendall at FSM many years ago.

Yavar

• 4 weeks later...

Here's Quartet's very cool THEATRE OF BLOOD promotional graphic on its own:

HB5mMBm.jpg

Also, for anyone in the vicinity of New Orleans on Thursday, October 26, maestro Lewis himself will be appearing at a special screening of the film at Prytania Theatres, featuring a live piano performance and Q&A with the composer. If you're in the area, don't miss it!

i7qJNQd.jpg

On 07/10/2023 at 8:40 PM, Jay said:

On October 27th we'll release a set that includes two separate albums from a prestigious film composer, but they are not film music. It’s perhaps our most ambitious project to date and certainly the most expensive and the one that has been in the works the longest, although it is certainly not for all tastes and I doubt that it will be appreciated by film music fans, but sure for contemporany music lovers.

Given the context and the description, I wonder if it is some previously unreleased non-film music by Morricone. I would be thrilled about that!

• 1 month later...

Just for fun…..

Pink Panther or Return of the Pink Panther - Mancini

Leviathan - Goldsmith

Shot In The Dark - Mancini

Exodus - Gold 

maybe another Michael Giacchino score that received a digital only release.

I believe the have some Barry re-recordings in the works as well. Don't remember when they were to be done.

There have been a few people suggesting Juliet of the Spirits by Nino Rota.  Not familiar with it myself, but I adore Rota’s Romeo and Juliet.  And Quartet is a Rota friendly label. 

That’s my favorite by Rota. He was Fellini’s composer for a lot of big name titles, but he had quite a variety of sounds. 

But Romeo and Juliet is really accessible and iconic.  

3 hours ago, Stark said:

I’ve only ever heard the Godfathers by Rota, any suggestions for good places to start?

In addition to "Romeo and Juliet", a great one, I also suggest "Il Gattopardo" ("The Leopard"). Very late-1800-esque, so much that at points it could be mistaken for something written by Tchaikovsky or Verdi (besides the one dance piece that was actually written by Verdi). Several very beautiful themes, and 3 or 4 nice setpieces.  

53 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I've just ordered the OSTs of Rota's Romeo and Juliet and The Taming of the Shrew.

I’d be curious to know your thoughts on Taming of the Shrew, and how it compares with R&J, both Shakespeare from the same director. 

I had a look through my email announcements for the past couple of years and it looks like Quartet should be announcing their batch next Friday. It's usually around the 8th of December. Looking forward to seeing what they have in store.

Karol

Great news!  I will be ordering next week.  Listening right now, actually!  On the track "Nando Returns" and I like the vibe

On 26/11/2023 at 1:35 AM, Andy said:

I’d be curious to know your thoughts on Taming of the Shrew, and how it compares with R&J, both Shakespeare from the same director. 

They arrived during the week so I'll see if I can give them a listen over the weekend.

On 04/07/2023 at 8:32 PM, crocodile said:

Karol

Bought this set based on what you said here having never heard a note of it or seen a frame of the documentaries.

It arrived yesterday (very quickly, along with their Silence of the Lambs release). You are absolutely right. Gorgeous music! Thank you!

5 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Wonder if there is any possibility of a Williams expansion from Quartet.

They released Long Goodbye and Images (though the latter wasn't an expansion).

19 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Wonder if there is any possibility of a Williams expansion from Quartet.

19 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

W   i   l   l   I   a   m   s     e   x   p   a   s   i   o   n  

FULFILLED!!!!!

Oh shit Quartet what are you doing to me?? I literally want every single title you just announced!! Bye money.

• 2 months later...

Quartet has a big sale right now at https://quartetrecords.com: 25% off all products, and if you buy 8 or more, free shipping internationally! It ends March 18.

I have an unusual request/offer if anyone takes advantage of that offer in the USA. I hope I’m allowed to post this kind of thing in a general chat, I’ll edit it out of my post if instructed to.

I would like to take advantage of this sale but I don’t have enough extra money sitting around this month to buy 8 items. In that light, if anyone in the USA is using this sale, I propose that you “buy” me one or two items and I immediately pay you back the cost of the item(s), including tax, some small extra portion to make the hassle worth your while, and shipping (I believe around $5 in-country) for you to subsequently ship me the item(s) after they arrive at your house. I’ll pay up front (I trust you guys… I think) and I think we can all be happy since you’ll lose nothing and I will still get the item(s) for cheaper than I can anywhere else. Please dm me if you are interested!

Well, I took advantage of the sale to update my copies of Sarde's 'Ghost Story' and Morricone's 'The Thing', and also picked up Herrmann's 'The Bride Wore Black', which I only previously had as a suite that Elmer Bernstein conducted for the album 'Bernard Herrmann Film Scores: From Citizen Kane to Taxi Driver'...which, by the way, includes what I think is the most exquisite performance of Scène d'Amour from 'Vertigo'.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Finally ordered La Dolce Vita. 

One day I’ll listen to mine. Is it good?  I only bought it after enjoying Rota’s Romeo and Juliet 

15 minutes ago, Andy said:

One day I’ll listen to mine. Is it good?  I only bought it after enjoying Rota’s Romeo and Juliet 

You need to watch How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. 

I haven’t seen that either. I don’t need self help for which I’ve already mastered.