Jump to content

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 50.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • #SnowyVernalSpringsEternal

    6534

  • AC1

    5194

  • The Big Man

    3931

  • Quintus

    3880

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi.   I love how character based this is. All of our main characters experience an emotional journey and growth in this movie. And do so often by, screwi

LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring   The sister has never really watched these films properly, so we all decided to start a proper marathon of the trilogy. And my gosh, is it magnificent. I wo

Raiders of the Lost Ark   It's cinema comfort food at its finest. I know you all rag on me for watching the same old shit, but come on! The old shit was better. There are certainly things th

20 hours ago, The Big Man said:

 

But they're still just regular people, like you or I. What makes their opinion so damn special that they must constantly be given a podium and be mollycoddled with appeasement?


Those who were never told 'no' or 'that's/you're wrong' as children have grown into young adults who think (for example) the world owes them 'safe spaces' on uni campuses where they won't see fellow students dressed in *triggering* Hallowe'en costumes and the right to have a speaker invited by the uni who doesn't hold the same views as them banned. 

Shocker, eh? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:


Those who were never told 'no' or 'that's/you're wrong' as children have grown into young adults who think (for example) the world owes them 'safe spaces' on uni campuses where they won't see fellow students dressed in *triggering* Hallowe'en costumes and the right to have a speaker invited by the uni who doesn't hold the same views as them banned. 

Shocker, eh? 

 

I get that, they have a strong sense of entitlement. But it's also a two-way thing. People in positions of authority constantly give them a podium, and their grievances are always given media coverage. And that empowers them even further. So why do they feel compelled to give them that power and influence? Why even report their whinging as if it's society at large that now has a problem with a movie like Grease? I very much doubt society does have a problem with Grease, but the media likes to quote a few online nutters as if it does, as SteveMc seems to boldly assert, to my bewilderment. It's this disconnect that I don't understand. Is it some Twitter staffers who artificially "trend" an issue to effect some level of "social change"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 1:09 AM, AC1 said:

The next movie to be cancelled or banned is ...

 

Grease_ver2.jpg

 

"Racist, rapey, homophobic and slut-shaming!"

 

 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9106979/Grease-racist-rapey-homophobic-slut-shaming-say-woke-snowflakes.html

 

I remember one review of Grease from 78. The critic noting its long run at the boxoffice he said Like Mononucleosis Grease refuses to go away. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Sorry, Jonathan Ross no longer work here."

 

14 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I remember one review of Grease from 78. The critic noting its long run at the boxoffice he said Like Mononucleosis Grease refuses to go away. 

 

i never got hooked by this movie. I love Summer Nights, but that's all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jojo Rabbit.

 

Mostly very good. It provides so much food for thought. The one thing that really annoyed me, though, were the German accents. I know it’s part of ridiculing the war, but there’s so much drama going on that that aspect just didn’t work for me, especially when Jojo’s accent temporarily disappeared at the beginning and then suddenly came back, not to mention Yorki who sounded almost Australian. Thomasin McKenzie grew on me after a while, Taika Waititi was great, Rebel Wilson was absolutely fantastic and it’s always a pleasure to see Sam Rockwell in something. I did have some doubts about the scene where Scarlet Johansson played both parents, but other than that, it was so engaging that I was sad to leave Elsa and Jojo behind.

Giacchino’s score is perfectly functional, but his harmonic language is still limited, except in the final cue. Definitely not the next John Williams. He did finally find himself a good sound mixer (though even more reverb would have been better) and the cues for solo strings were really great. Speaking of simplistic, that Bowie song...

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

 

Flawed, but still pretty solid. Easily the best of these Hobbit movies. And I love the Misty Mountains theme, I know Shore didn't wrote it but he weaves it into the scores in a really satisfying way.

 

About that other thread, this movie is easily better than all prequels (and most Sequels too). It's well acted, well directed and visually interesting, unlike those poor acted Star Wars movies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The visuals (specifically, the horrid bloom and overall artificial aesthetic) and the absurdly long time spent in The Shire are my main [major] annoyances with the movie, but there are nice parts interspersed throughout the adventure, yes. 

 

I also just don't like Freeman in role. Yes, I know this a seeming quite peculiar view, but I never warmed to his Bilbo even after three movies. Oh and I can't stand Thorin either. 

 

Basically, yeah, I don't like it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So you can find it realistic and relatable?

The Equalizer 2 - one hopes that Edward Woodward would've been flattered ... Denzel's a class act, after all. That said, shame that the score doesn't contain a version of Stewart Copeland's terrific theme from the show.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Quintus said:

The visuals (specifically, the horrid bloom and overall artificial aesthetic) and the absurdly long time spent in The Shire are my main [major] annoyances with the movie, but there are nice parts interspersed throughout the adventure, yes. 

 

I also just don't like Freeman in role. Yes, I know this a seeming quite peculiar view, but I never warmed to his Bilbo even after three movies. Oh and I can't stand Thorin either. 

 

Basically, yeah, I don't like it. 

 

 

I actually think Freeman would've been a perfect Bilbo. Much better that Elijah Wood (which is not really that difficult, IMHO)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Quintus said:

The visuals (specifically, the horrid bloom and overall artificial aesthetic) and the absurdly long time spent in The Shire are my main [major] annoyances with the movie, but there are nice parts interspersed throughout the adventure, yes. 

 

I also just don't like Freeman in role. Yes, I know this a seeming quite peculiar view, but I never warmed to his Bilbo even after three movies. Oh and I can't stand Thorin either. 

 

Basically, yeah, I don't like it. 

 

I remember stumbling onto the Goblintown and Out of the Frying pan scenes on Youtube recently and was surprisingly impressed with the visuals and the staging. Definitely better than the awful bloom-laden mess of the later films that are permanently seared into my memory.

 

But all that Azog shit is just stupid stupid plotting. Awkward plotting/sequencing remains the bane of these films. And Thorin is annoying as hell.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a great movie indeed. 

 

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

I think it was the last movie I caught in the cinema before the pandemic.

 

It was my last movie in theaters before the pandemic as well. But since then I managed to watch Tenet and Wonder Woman 1984 on theaters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bespin said:

Maybe I missed something?

 

I think you are required to appreciate this movie because it deals with social class discrimination. Personally, I don't like the style of Bong Joon-ho's comedy. I only saw one other movie by the same director (Snowpiercer) and I ultimately disliked it for the same reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

@Edmilson So I'm talking yo a Brazilian girl right now, and she dropped a bombshell on me. I need you to confirm or deny...give it to me straight...........

 

 

....is White Chicks considered a classic comedy film in Brazil?

 

Yeah, she's right! White Chicks was a favorite for almost everyone here that was a teenager in the 2000s. Until this day the movie is well remembered among people of my age.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick, you might want to quote from Ebert's review:

 

Various combinations of the Wayans family have produced a lot of cutting-edge comedy, but "White Chicks" uses the broad side of the knife. Here is a film so dreary and conventional that it took an act of will to keep me in the theater. Who was it made for? Who will it play to? Is there really still a market for fart jokes?

 

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/white-chicks-2004

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AC1 said:

I think you are required to appreciate this movie because it deals with social class discrimination. Personally, I don't like the style of Bong Joon-ho's comedy. I only saw one other movie by the same director (Snowpiercer) and I ultimately disliked it for the same reasons.

You should check out Memories Of Murder

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't like Snowpiercer but then I did like Okja and Parasite.  Want to go back and check out his earlier films at some point

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jay said:

I didn't like Snowpiercer but then I did like Okja and Parasite.  Want to go back and check out his earlier films at some point

 

I've never seen Okja, but I did see Snowpiercer at the theatre and hated it - I thought it started out well and got increasingly ridiculous (and not in a good or funny way) as it went on. I was therefore rather sceptical about all the Parasite hullabaloo last year. But I did finally watch it a week or two ago and thought it was very good indeed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, I don't really understand all the hype for Snowpiercer.  The concept is cool and it had some cool scenes but it just didn't work overall.


Okja is really fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that great.

Started good then.....

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nick, you might want to quote from Ebert's review:

 

Various combinations of the Wayans family have produced a lot of cutting-edge comedy, but "White Chicks" uses the broad side of the knife. Here is a film so dreary and conventional that it took an act of will to keep me in the theater. Who was it made for? Who will it play to? Is there really still a market for fart jokes?

 

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/white-chicks-2004

Ebert hated ALL films that featured black actors and directors lampooning black culture and society.

He married a black woman and was ultra sensitive to the racial flicks.

He panned " Don't BE A MENACE" which is hilarious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I thought it started out well and got increasingly ridiculous (and not in a good or funny way) as it went on. 

 

That's how I would describe Snowpiercer AND Parasite

 

 

 

demolition.jpg

 

Good dark comedy. 7/10

 

Solitary_Man-292198578-mmed.jpg

 

One of the last (if not the last) good Michael Douglas films. 7/10

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...