The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

53 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Agreed on early Pixar though. Until they got to Cars 2, they just COULD NOT MISS.

Fixed.

I like the first Cars, it's no match for the masterpieces Pixar was releasing during that time but still pretty fun, enjoyable and heartwarming. A pretty good movie. Unlike the second one though, that is just awful.

27 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Pretty interesting if true, since the movie will have a Hulk villain as the antagonist and apparently a lot of characters from The Incredible Hulk. So I guess what was supposed to be a Sam Wilson as Captain America mostly standalone movie is slowly becoming the Hulk movie fans have been demanding since... 2012, I guess?

I think Marvel learned from Thor: Ragnarok that, when your lead character is having a popularity "crisis", just slap the Hulk on his sequel.

35 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I like the Hulk, just not a fan of Ruffalo's portrayal of Bruce Banner. I preferred Ed Norton, and it's a pity that didn't work out (though given Norton's personality, it likely never would have).

As a lifelong Hulk fan, I really dislike Ruffalo as Bruce Banner. I mean if blandness has a name, it's "Mark Ruffalo"...

image.gif

https://www.ign.com/articles/mark-ruffalo-reportedly-wont-be-in-captain-america-brave-new-world-after-all-update

Never heard of Joseph Quinn.

Anyways third time's the charm right

Edit: looked him up, he's the dude that played Eddie in the last season of Stranger Things! He was good!

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

July 25th? So it'll come out almost exactly twenty years after the Chris Evans 2005 F4 (July 8th, 2005) and ten years after Fant4stic (August 7, 2015).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four_(2005_film)#Release

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four_(2015_film)#Release

If this one bombs as well, one could say that we are cursed to every ten years get a crappy new Fantastic Four reboot :lol:

I was going to bring up the 1994 one but then said nah, that one’s actually not crappy at all!

Yavar

It's got that MCU magic where they don't look just like the comics but they feel just like the comics. Well. I mean, BEN looks just like the comics.

23 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I was going to bring up the 1994 one but then said nah, that one’s actually not crappy at all!

I haven't seen the 1994 one, but I'm sure it's at least better than the 2015 reboot :lol:

14 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I haven't seen the 1994 one, but I'm sure it's at least better than the 2015 reboot :lol:

I quite liked the 2015. The biggest problem was that I think there is 30 to 60 minutes missing from the last 1/3 or it.

3 hours ago, Damien F said:

I saw on Twitter that The Thing is reading Life magazine from December 1963. This suggests the movie will probably be a period piece, or at least partly set in 1963.

This is very appealing. I wish they had done that with Spider-Man too.  Certain Marvel characters just seem to work better for me within the time of their first publishing. 

34 minutes ago, Andy said:

This is very appealing. I wish they had done that with Spider-Man too.  Certain Marvel characters just seem to work better for me within the time of their first publishing. 

You know, it's funny. 10, 20 years ago the Origin story seemed like it needed to be updated. (And it never quite worked.) Now? It makes MORE sense than it did in 1962! Four plucky adventurers steal a space ship because otherwise someone else is going to beat them into space? It seems much more probable now!

Also, Fantastic Four and Thunderbolts exchanged release dates. Now Thunderbolts will be released on May 2, 2025.

So these are the MCU release dates for 2025:

• Captain America: Brave New World - February 14, 2025 (exactly one year from now, lol);
  • Thunderbolts - May 2, 2025;
  • The Fantastic Four - July 25, 2025;
  • Blade - November 7, 2025

Beyond that there's just the next two Avengers movies (dated for May 2026 and 2027), but that will certainly change.

Phase 1 had 1 film a year.

Phase 2 had 2 films a year.

Phase 3 had 2 or 3 a year.

Phase 4 had 4 in 2021 (but that was because they got pushed back thanks to Covid) and 3 in 2022.

Phase 5 thus far had 3 in 23 and 1 this year.

So 2 or 3 is the usual.

36 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Plus, I personally had hoped that they were slowing their roll a bit, given the recent difficulties. They’ve basically killed my interest through volume and I’m already 2 movies and a handful of shows “behind.” Oh well!

11 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

It's more than likely because the writers and screen actors strikes stalled production on a lot of these that they're coming out with 5 next year, maybe after that it'll be back to a couple. 

I absolutely agree with both of you. They probably know their mistake but they also are not in a logistical or financial position to do anything about it.

Also, July of next year will see the battle between the new Jurassic movie, Superman: Legacy and Fantastic Four.

Out of all of those, it's Jurassic who has the biggest potential at the box office. DC tried to reboot Superman twice (in 2006 and 2013) and none of the times it was exactly a megahit, and as for F4 not only the previous movies were poorly received but also post-pandemic the simple fact that a movie is "MCU now" is not the same thing as saying that on the last decade.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

They’ve basically killed my interest through volume and I’m already 2 movies and a handful of shows “behind.” Oh well!

Hm. Originally, I was late to the MCU party. Which meant, most of the movies of phase 1, 2 and 3 I saw when they were already available on disc. So, I watched most of them in a fairly short time. And I loved it.

So, I would say, they did not kill my interest through volume. I can handle volume like I did with phases 1-3. But they recently killed my interest through bad movies and lame tv shows.

Not quantity, quality is the issue.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

And with the Russo brothers (Winter Soldier, Civil War, Endgame) sitting comfortably in Netflix's chair, I don't see that quality return any time soon.

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

But they recently killed my interest through bad movies and lame tv shows.

Exactly, if every phase 4 & 5 film and Disney+ show had been universally praised and were all good would people be saying that there's an over saturation? 

Yes. Even with good material, it begins to feel like homework to keep up with it. Let alone try to get into it in the first place. That’s why franchises like Superman, Terminator, and Ghostbusters are always rebooting back to a minimal canon that “everyone remembers.”

7 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Yes. Even with good material, it begins to feel like homework to keep up with it. Let alone try to get into it in the first place. That’s why franchises like Superman, Terminator, and Ghostbusters are always rebooting back to a minimal canon that “everyone remembers.”

Mrdb17.gif

On 15/2/2024 at 8:11 PM, Groovygoth666 said:

Exactly, if every phase 4 & 5 film and Disney+ show had been universally praised and were all good would people be saying that there's an over saturation? 

I’ve liked everything and I’m still sick of it!

On 17/02/2024 at 3:30 AM, Pellaeon said:

15 hours ago, mstrox said:

I’ve liked everything and I’m still sick of it!

Ah so perhaps volume is an issue, do you guys think if the shows weren't crossing over into the films and they were sticking to two films per year this would be less homework? 

Unlike the 90s show, X-Men 97 won't be suitable for (younger) kids.

X-Men: The Animated Series remains beloved among comic book fans and we'll finally return to that world in Marvel Animation's upcoming X-Men '97. Among the biggest surprises in the new trailer was the retro animation style, but that's not the only major change. 

The homepage for X-Men '97 on Disney+ reveals that the show is going to be rated TV-14; the small screen equivalent of PG-13, this is a fairly noteworthy difference when compared to X-Men: The Animated Series' TV-Y7 rating. 

https://comicbookmovie.com/x_men/x_men-97/x-men-97-will-be-rated-tv-14-on-disney-one-key-member-of-the-team-will-be-portrayed-as-nonbinary-a209467

Also, there will be a character who will be nonbinary (they weren't portrayed as such in the 90s show nor the comics).

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Also, there will be a character who will be nonbinary (they weren't portrayed as such in the 90s show nor the comics).

of course there is!  Gotta try and out-pander and check those boxes in todays world 

That’s not the point…. The issue is the constant changing of original established characters, whether it’s race / gender / sexual orientation.  Maybe the writers should create new characters that fit their agendas instead of swapping up existing established characters, what a concept!

2 hours ago, Dr. Rick said:

That’s not the point…. The issue is the constant changing of original established characters, whether it’s race / gender / sexual orientation.  Maybe the writers should create new characters that fit their agendas instead of swapping up existing established characters, what a concept!

Agreed, but this is "Morph" we're talking about. A D-list character I'm pretty sure nobody cares about. If anyone's really upset over this, I have to ask if they just don't want a non-binary character in their X-Men.

And by the way, how long until they change "X-Men" to an all-inclusive "X-People"?

(Joking/not joking.)

I’ve always interpreted the overall fact that they’re mutants as metaphors for all social outcasts in a way. The mutant umbrella covers all that. I’m fine with non-binary characters and actors in film/TV but it seems like an add-on for no reason to me in this case. Still though it doesn’t bother me and shouldn’t bother anyone else. At the end of the day it’s the quality of the narrative and characters that will make or break the show.

Also there’s a rumor going around that Henry Cavill might be apart of the MCU now. I think he’d be a great Cyclops.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

And by the way, how long until they change "X-Men" to an all-inclusive "X-People"?

(Joking/not joking.)

I think the “Men” aspect comes from the “man” in “human.” They’re e"x"tra hu"man." Hopefully they don’t change the name that would be a marketing nightmare for Disney.

5 minutes ago, MaxMovieMan said:

I think the “Men” aspect comes from the “man” in “human.” They’re e"x"tra hu"man."

Even so, I'm sure it doesn't sit right with the inclusion people, who probably can only see the word "men"—which is apparently a bad word these days in Hollywood's writing rooms.

But let's hope they understand that rebranding "X-Men" would be a colossal mistake, as you say... Then again, Disney is prone to making big mistakes, so I wouldn't put it past them!

I mean, after Dark Phoenix pulled a random "the team should be called X-Women" line out of fucking nowhere with what it presented up to that point (and after), anything else would be an improvement :lol:

The fact the show continues to be called X-Men does show an inherent trust in the brand, yet with how incredibly slow the mutant rollout has been in the MCU proper, I do wonder if they're considering revamping them to some degree (assuming the rumor about them being contractually obligated to work with the Fox producers until 2029 isn't true).