The temp track or similarities thread

toothless

JW wrote a theme for CHECKMATE that was obviously intended to sound like Mancini"S PETER GUNN.

Im sure the producers told him " Johnny baby< that tune went to NUmba one! You can do even better"

Not quite, but its a cool theme in any case:)

This one?

You think that sounds like this?

Or are you referring to a different Checkmate track?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got two confirmed pieces of temp to contribute today. Was looking into some Lemony Snicket stuff (as probably the biggest fan of that score on the forums. :lol:) and found a couple of looks at early scenes / rough cuts with some temp music!

1.) Here's an early version of the introduction to the three kids, complete with alternate lines in the voice over. Temped with Thomas Newman's "Dead Already" from American Beauty.

2.) I was able to cancel out the director's commentary in one of the special features to get a clearer listen to the finale music used during the first test screening of the film. Turns out, it's "Walkaway" from Newman's Meet Joe Black score. Since the clip is so poor, I opted to sync it up to the film myself with dialog and it fits pretty much perfectly. You can definitely feel the influence as the track builds.

Neat. That is all.

3 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Am I the only one to hear Thanos theme at 0:38?

What is Thanos' theme? Would have been great to have a video with it.

On 12/23/2019 at 7:37 AM, Luka said:

Makes me think of Hedwig’s Theme at 0:15!

Funny that it is with the same director that a decade later, John Williams would work on Harry Potter. 

That is Carol of the Bells.  The whole piece is a fugue between the two melodies of it and Star of Bethlehem.  

Another reminder to only post links to the official "Topic" channels if it is on a regular album to ensure that the thread is futureproofed. Seeing more unavailable videos here than there should be. 

That one is a bit tricky to pinpoint, since a lot of the time, it more has to do with the geoblocking that can happen with official videos, based on what is available in each country. If anything, unofficial uploads actually can have more of a chance at future proofing (if they aren't taken down or also geoblocked, that is).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So this one might be a reach but you can see the similarities in the aspect and expression of the music.

Listen to this famous section from Glass' Koyaanisqatsi

And listen to Wagner's famous Storm prelude from Die Walküre.

It is definitely a precursor - with regards to how stormy both pieces are.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was listening to this track "Gateway to the West" by Robert Farnon and it really put me in mind of the kind of light orchestral library music that was used in Monty Python and the Holy Grail (I hope this link works across the pond)

I think it really was making me think of this one from the Holy Grail opening credits.  The openings of the main melodies are very similar in shape and sound.

• 4 weeks later...

Try this one, @Edmilson.

There is a silver lining to this particular copyright conundrum though: in my search for a different upload of the track I found this completely under-the-radar arrangement for clarinet, viola, and piano. Too cool!!!

The bloodsucking lawyers work in mysterious ways :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a pretty blatant one

Don Davis -Main Title / Trinity Infinity

ACE+ - The Conduit's Demise

• 1 month later...

Herrmann was certainly no stranger to repeating himself, but The Kentuckian and The Trouble with Harry were the same year!  Both are amazing scores btw.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn’t sure where to post this but the latest episode of BBC Radio 3’s The Listening Service is dedicated to JW. Sadly, after a promising start expounding the virtues of the opening of CE3K (amongst others), the first half is an uninspired slog through all of his classical precedents. Even more frustrating is some are no more than a vague resemblance… the force theme and the fate motif from Wagner’s Ring… I mean… maybe. A bit?! Or Tchaikovsky’s sugar plum fairy is like Harry Potter because they both use the Celeste. Uh huh. Although he did reference something by Faure that sounded a bit like hedwig’s theme which is a new one. I don’t deny a passing similarity, but only in passing. I don’t even think the Imperial March sounds much like Mars from the Planets aside from both being minor key marches. Even more weird since there are a couple of passages in the original Star Wars which genuinely do sound like Mars. 

It feels like the intent was to show how JW anchored his best known ideas in the classical repertoire and reinterpreted it them for the cinema. However for the average high brow Radio 3 listener I rather think they’d get the impression that all of his music is just ripped off Prokofiev, Holst, Strauss etc. which is frustrating as those references constitute a vanishing minority of his music and plenty of his scores only sounds like himself. A shame as there are some more interesting observations later on in the show but by that time you get to those you just feel like it’s a JW musical character assassination!

I’d be interested to hear anyone else’s thoughts…

This is one I've always been meaning to post. Quite clear I think.

Miles' Story from Tuck Everlasting by William Ross

was clearly temped with...

There Was Snow from The Horse Whisperer by Thomas Newman:

In fact, the entire score is a bit of a Horse Whisperer rip. But this is one of the more obvious examples.

Newman is so often imitated. But he's never beaten.

I've heard a lot of rips of Newman's more quirky side, but never really heard someone imitate his piano side.

Obviously not a temp track issue, but I heard this track on Top Gear once, and I guess they're using the same samples as Newman did for American Beauty. (from about 30 seconds in,)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am not sure, if anybody pointed this out already. And usually I am not good at thing like that. But I like that texture very much, so I recognized it.

https://youtu.be/KRnhWlB4wps?list=PLZLTKRc6yNiRh2tKzCFmwTqpJFXT8QV4L&t=130

It is not exactly similar in harmony and all, but the pattern is the same... and great.

• 3 months later...

There's definetly a Wagner influence in that noble/aching theme that Glennie-Smith created -which since I was kid why they didn't keep using Hans' themes confused the hell out of me

• 2 weeks later...

Another meta-suggestion, something I try to do when I remember: always include the composer names and film/work titles as text in your posts so that they can be found later via forum search.

This goes for any thread that's mostly pasting embed links.

Topic uploads, however, could ruin crosscontinental discussion if the assholes block them regionally.

On 21/03/2022 at 4:01 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

… the force theme and the fate motif from Wagner’s Ring… I mean… maybe.

It's the Siegfried motif, actually (Crimson Tide fondly remembers it, too;):

This track from Evangelion 3.0+1.0 gives me some serious Amok Time fight cue vibes, in the same sort of way that Decisive Battle was clearly a riff on "007 Takes The Lektor"

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Whatever your first video is supposed to be doesn't show up for me, or presumably anybody else in the US

For me neither. I'm in Canada