The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Roger Whittaker was loved in Québec where he was mostly known for his french songs.

Oh man, I loved his voice!

I had no idea! I'm a bad Quebecer... Must be because I spent my formative years in Ontario.

Only a few weeks after his sudden early retirement, Stephen Gould has died of cancer:

https://operawire.com/obituary-tenor-stephen-gould-dies-at-61/

Gould was one of the best Siegfrieds in recent years. I was lucky enough to hear him live at the Wiener Staatsoper in several Ring performances as well as some other works - most recently (just before the pandemic) in the Thielemann-led Frau ohne Schatten (recorded & released on CD).

2 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Did he sing opera?  No wonder I never heard of him. 

First he sang the Phantom (…of the Opera) hundreds of times. Then he switched to opera.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a vid of Stephen Gould singing it, but that last note of 'Music of the Night' is just so sweet.

13 hours ago, Demodex said:

Did he sing opera? 

Gould sang some of the most demanding roles in the repertoire, including Tristan (which very few tenors can sing well) and Siegfried (which almost not tenor in history has done well). His were considerable vocal and expressive skills. He had a real understanding of these parts.

A great loss to Wagnerians all over.

He also had a remarkably clear voice and diction in roles where most others struggle to get through a night at all. You could actually understand his German, which isn't always the case for non-native singers - and even German ones in those taxing Wagner roles. Maybe the musical background helped there. And apparently, he spoke fluent German and deliberately lived partially in Vienna, saying that it's imperative to absorb that to be able to sing Wagner.

R.I.P. Mr McCallum. Funnily enough, my abiding childhood memory of him isn't of The Man From UNCLE or Sapphire And Steel (although I am currently catching up with that) ... it's of the short-lived Invisible Man series from the mid-Seventies. 

On 21/09/2023 at 1:04 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

He also had a remarkably clear voice and diction in roles where most others struggle to get through a night at all. You could actually understand his German, which isn't always the case for non-native singers - and even German ones in those taxing Wagner roles. Maybe the musical background helped there. And apparently, he spoke fluent German and deliberately lived partially in Vienna, saying that it's imperative to absorb that to be able to sing Wagner.

perhaps they should sing Wagner in the Bavarian language instead

Apparently, Michael Gambon has died, most known for his role as Dumbledore.

I was never a big Harry Potter fan (too old!), but he was good in the part -- impressive after taking over from icon Richard Harris.

Two Dumbledores have died now, but Gandalf marches on. *knock on wood*

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

To be honest, I assiciate him mostly with Gosford Park and Sleepy Hollow. Really great actor. RIP.

Oh? Have you finally decided to leave Potterdom?

'Interviews are boring, so I make things up. I once told an interviewer I'd tried homosexuality, but had to give it up because it made my eyes water'. 

R.I.P. to the brilliant Michael Gambon. 

He'll always be Dumbledore 2.0 to me but one of the joys of being a young HP fan was in going back through these character actors' careers and discovering "Oh THAT'S why they're legendary." #1 Gambon performance that I've seen -- The Singing Detective. 

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

To be honest, I assiciate him mostly with Gosford Park and Sleepy Hollow. Really great actor. RIP.

Karol

Ditto. And I never watched an Harry Potter movie not scored by JW.

And he such an amazing voice. I wonder if he ever narrated any audiobooks

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

To be honest, I assiciate him mostly with Gosford Park and Sleepy Hollow.

Check out THE SINGING DETECTIVE (as @mrbellamy suggested), THE COOK THE THIEF HIS WIFE AND HER LOVER, ANGELS IN AMERICA, MAIGRET, THE RACHEL PAPERS, LAYER CAKE, and THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU.

14 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Gambon surely was a great actor.

But he was a lousy Dumbledore.

Agreed. Peter O'Toole, David Warner, Jonathan Pryce, or even Jared Harris would have made a better Dumbledore.

R.I.P., Mr. Gambon.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Deliberately? Are you sure he wasn't forced?

Cut off words = lose context. ;)

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

First thing I became aware of him in was Layer Cake, I believe, slightly before Potter. Last thing I saw him in (when I finally watched it a couple of years ago) must have been Gosford Park. He also had a great role in one of the best Doctor Who Christmas specials.

6 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I didn’t realise that Jared Harris was Richard Harris’s son. I see the resemblance now…

This made the rounds a year ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/aug/30/jared-harris-father-richard-harry-potter-ghost-hell-raising

10 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I didn’t realise that Jared Harris was Richard Harris’s son. I see the resemblance now…

I thought for quite a while that Sean Harris was another of Richard's sons. Turns out he's not.  

I knew Jared was Richard Harris' son, but I sometimes forget it. Currently enoying Harris jr. in the brilliant space opera series FOUNDATION. Incidentally, Harris' sr.'s best film remains Antonioni's IL DESERTO ROSSO, although his role is relatively unassuming in it.

31 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Come on, Thor, what about THIS SPORTING LIFE?

A powerhouse performance.

Absolutely. His performance in that outshines his performance in ROSSO. But the FILM is on a whole other level. IL DESERTO ROSSO is one of my favourite films of all time, from one of my favourite directors of all time. :)

Just now, Tallguy said:

Gambon dies and we all talk about Harris. Fascinating.

Yes, my bad. Sorry. Back to Gambon. I have fond memories of seeing THE SINGING DETECTIVE on telly in the 80s, if that counts.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, my bad. Sorry. Back to Gambon. I have fond memories of seeing THE SINGING DETECTIVE on telly in the 80s, if that counts.

Certainly wasn't just you. :) It does make me happy that Harris had such high regard for Gambon.

Does anyone know if Gambon had any higher regard for Dumbledore than Harris did. I had heard that Harris really didn't care at all and was only doing it for his grandchildren.

19 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I had heard that Harris really didn't care at all and was only doing it for his grandchildren.

That's the way I heard it, too.

I mean, Gambon played Dumbeldore for a long time. You can't play a role that long without developing an attachment to it, even if you didn't start out with one. Harris never had that opportunity.

From the Variety piece:

Gambon admitted that he had never read the “Harry Potter” books, and he told the U.K.’s the Independent, “I’d never seen any of the previous films, but working on the series was huge fun.

A lot of Potter fans made a stink about how Gambon never read any of the books, ignorant of the fact that Richard Harris said the same. 

This was the sweetest thing I remember Gambon saying about HP: