John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's all Greta Thunberg's fault.

One more remark like this and I'll send you a video of me choking with emotion telling you people are suffering and that you stole my future.

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

One more remark like this and I'll send you a video of me choking with emotion telling you people are suffering and that you stole my future.

I actually have nothing against Greta Thunberg. 

On 12/13/2019 at 1:36 AM, First TROS March Accolyte said:

So Tuesday still Tchaikovsky & Rimsky, Thursday Wagner, and Friday Tchaikovsky again? This doesn't sound that good anymore...

State Opera performances don't necessarily mean that the Philharmonic players proper are playing. They can substitutes, and often do. But Gergiev may draw more of the main orchestra players than a random night, and the chamber group may also skip the Williams concert I suppose.

On 12/13/2019 at 1:36 AM, First TROS March Accolyte said:

But maybe there will be a CD of Gergiev's Lohengrin. That could be interesting!

Not too likely. They do release some of these, but it often takes years, and the circumstances are not always ideal. Of Welser-Möst's fabulous Walküre they released only the first act - I suppose it was recorded during the premiere, where Uusitalo was replaced as Wotan at the very last minute due to illness (he mimed the part while his replacement sang). The first act doesn't feature Wotan, while the other two do, so it might be a contractual thing. A shame they (apparently) didn't record one of the other nights as well, because the performance I attended (Uusitalo was healthy again for the second night already) was great, and the cast was outstanding. Several of them (notably Nina Stemme and Ain Anger) are scheduled for next March, actually.

And Thielemann's phenomenal Ariadne of Naxos was finally released on CD several months ago (I had been hoping for a release of some sort, as they'd roped off part of the standing area for a camera crew), but (at least so far) only as part of a big €100 box set with lots of other stuff I don't want.

I don't know. I've never figured out how big the orchestra actually is, and how many of the players at the State Opera are actual proper members of the Philharmonic. But I suppose they're able to split themselves, to an extent, and still play a full concert with just proper Philharmonic members, even if some of their principals are engaged elsewhere.

So, I got a surprise today in the mail. After missing out on the initial ticket sale, and not having been totally sure if I wanted to go there really at all (too much work, long trip, expenses, getting old etc), I put myself on the waiting list under rather strict conditions concerning price and place, not expecting to get a result, but what the hell. And today I got 2 tickets for 59 Euro each for Sunday, first row (circle), at the extreme right end (1+2). And I am undecided. Should I really now buy flights and lodging? Or should I try to sell them? Would anybody be interested in those seats? Are they any good to watch Williams at work (acoustics not so important)? Decisions...

I have to go on a freaking business trip to London on these exact dates, and ever since this concert was announced I've tried to get out of it, but it's not possible. And it kills me!!!

37 minutes ago, Once said:

I have to go on a freaking business trip to London on these exact dates, and ever since this concert was announced I've tried to get out of it, but it's not possible. And it kills me!!!

@Once keep trying! where there's a will... ;)

To end the concert with that piece would be a really great choice. It has a feeling of finality to it, and a world premiere at Musikverein would make it so much more special!

Just now, Holko said:

This was meant in a jokey way, right?

my post? no. The mayor of Spielberg sent him a town sign.

https://www.heute.at/s/steven-spielberg-mein-name-kommt-aus-osterreich--18242284

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spielberg_(Steiermark)

"His family was Orthodox Jewish.[12][13][14] Spielberg's paternal grandparents were Jewish-Russian[15][16] immigrants who settled in Cincinnati in the 1900s; his grandmother was from Sudylkiv, while his grandfather was from Kamianets-Podilskyi. "

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

"His family was Orthodox Jewish.[12][13][14] Spielberg's paternal grandparents were Jewish-Russian[15][16] immigrants who settled in Cincinnati in the 1900s; his grandmother was from Sudylkiv, while his grandfather was from Kamianets-Podilskyi

Great memory!