Star Wars Disenchantment

John

7 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

The problem is that the only "proof" for your success is your claim, that all your predictions, which you never shared in advance to not spoil anything, all had come true.

No, my proven success is that I predicted the biggest elements of Episode IX before the first teaser trailer, citing canon excerpts and other evidence.

If you call that a success, then try to win the lottery with that approach (just claiming after lottery draw that you had all numbers guessed correctly, so even though you never played, you earn the money). If you find any lottery that grants you that main price based on that statement, you could call your approach a success.

There is a big difference between a guess and a hypothesis. I have made no guesses here.

Otherwise your conclusions are not grounded on anything than just your subjective oppinion paired with review of what is already out there.

My only subjective opinion is that I think the Star Wars Saga telling one story would be good.

My "review of what is already out there" is the evidence that proves there was a plan for the story from the beginning.

You will never convince anyone or win any argument with a statement like "I know something, that falsifies your point and proves mine, but I won't tell you."

But you seem to find that argument convincing. So, I am not surprised, that you found the Star Wars sequels convincing, too. I didn't.

What is your point? What canonical/factual evidence and logical reasoning can you provide that supports your point?

My point is that I can see proof of an overall plan for the Saga. Lucasfilm have seeded all this proof in their canon material by way of literal context clues and elements of foreshadowing. But one must actually think to make sense of it. I presented some of this evidence years ago.

But you seem to find that argument convincing. So, I am not surprised, that you found the Star Wars sequels convincing, too. I didn't.

From what I've seen in Star Wars, what I know about storytelling and the stories from which George Lucas drew inspiration, yes, I am convinced a good story is being told.

What would it take from Star Wars to convince you of this?

7 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Because it's just a fanmade theory?  Even a fanmade theory that winds up being 80% or 90% spot-on can't really be considered a spoiler until we actually know what's in the upcoming film.

Furthermore, if you wait until the film's actually released to share your theories, it'll look like the only reason you know what happens is because you watched the film, not because you figured it out beforehand.  This would not help your credibility.

Of course. That's why I submitted my theories and evidence years ago in this very thread. I have since refined my predictions, having realized that the Saga is not over. It's not even close.

6 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

:blink:

Mattris, all you have to do is save all your theories in a place that has a identifiable and impossible to edit date and wait for the release. Here or someplace else, (there's a spoiler option here!) everyone that looks and gets possibly spoiled, it will be on them, I know I won't look 'cause I'm not a fan of leaks/this kind of theories.

You've already told multiple times that you know what will happen, but there's no way one can believe you until the movie comes out, so you wait and tell the world if you're right. But just for a second, imagine you are not... What will happen? You made this your entire personality here, if you want respect, you hyping up yourself can go terribly wrong for you and your goal.

Never be 100% sure of something.

I understand the sequence of evidence that I would be required to follow in order to prove what I knew and when I knew it. Proof enough that my Star Wars theories are accurate - with supporting evidence and reasoning - can be found in this thread.

Getting others to "believe" me is not my intention. Before the next film comes out, I really don't need to post anything else. The film itself will show that I was onto Lucasfilm's grand plan long before IX came out.

Regardless, I'm 100% sure that I've fully made sense of Star Wars to my satisfaction. Nothing anyone does or says can change that.

3 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

giphy.gif

Thank you, I knew Mattris had said those things recently!

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

Any character 'in the grey' cannot be a Jedi. The code forbids it.

The code of a specific religion forbids it. The point of a grey Jedi is someone who follows Jedi ideals but without aligning to a particular institution, like Jolee Bindo in KOTOR 1

That's not me. I have hair, I swear!

On 18/04/2023 at 1:37 PM, A. A. Ron said:

You just want all of us on this forum to be in awe of you for some reason.

Not true. Honestly, I don't care what the people of this forum think of me.

12 hours ago, Mattris said:

What is your point? What canonical/factual evidence and logical reasoning can you provide that supports your point?

My point is that I can see proof of an overall plan for the Saga. Lucasfilm have seeded all this proof in their canon material by way of literal context clues and elements of foreshadowing. But one must actually think to make sense of it. I presented some of this evidence years ago.

Ok. The sequel trilogy is 70% shite. And to be honest, in that sense it doesn't matter if this was already planned that way in 1977 or not. If it was, I don't understand, why Lucas complained about his treatments for the sequels not being used by Disney if they did them like it was planned from the beginning.

Anyway, if it was a plan, then it was a bad plan. Simple as that.

Now they are planning a sequel with Rey forming a new JEDI order. Which basically mean, from now on, Disney could repeat the sequel trilogy again and again. Now Rey can take Lukes part from the sequels. Then she has a padawan falling to the dark side. Some powerful goodhearted noone form a desert planet getting discovered by her helping her to overtrow the bad one. Rey dying, the young good one needs to movies to resolve the conflict with the dark padawan who got seduced again by some palpatin derivate etc. etc.

When this beomes an endless loop, this actually could become interesting again. 

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Ok. The sequel trilogy is 70% shite.

Your opinion that "The sequel trilogy is 70% shite" is based on your assessment of it. What do you think happened in this third trilogy, particularly in the last act of IX?

And to be honest, in that sense it doesn't matter if this was already planned that way in 1977 or not. If it was, I don't understand, why Lucas complained about his treatments for the sequels not being used by Disney if they did them like it was planned from the beginning.

My (conspiracy) theory is that George Lucas "complained" to keep the audience distracted. In addition to the $4.05B  cash payment for Lucasfilm - which he gave to charity - a substantial portion of the sale came in shares of Disney stock. One would assume it would have benefitted him to say mostly/only good things about the sequel trilogy. (Saying nothing certainly would have been suspicious.) To use a line from Rogue One, I'm saying that George Lucas "did the one thing they didn't suspect." He lied, and said he was stabbed in the back, with Kathleen Kennedy lying to his face on camera just a couple of months before he was so upset that he walked away from his advising role. Years later, in official behind-the-scenes footage, Lucas can be seen side-by-side laughing  with Kennedy on the set of The Mandalorian. This makes complete sense that he would be there at all after what they did to him.

I'll also remind you that, Pablo Hidalgo, the head of the Lucasfilm Story Group, stated in his published Star Wars: Fascinating Facts book that the principal story of Episode VII - with Luke Skywalker dying in VIII - came from none other than George Lucas.  Conclusion: One of them is lying.

Anyway, if it was a plan, then it was a bad plan. Simple as that.

"Bad" how? What do you think the overall plan of the Saga entails?

Now they are planning a sequel with Rey forming a new JEDI order. Which basically mean, from now on, Disney could repeat the sequel trilogy again and again.

Do you think Rey will succeed in establishing a superior/lasting/permanent 'New Jedi Order' after the original Jedi Order failed... after Luke's effort failed? If so, why do you think Rey will be able to do what those before her could not?

When this beomes an endless loop, this actually could become interesting again. 

Not endless. Perhaps the third time was the charm for Darth Sidious, that the complete failure of a third generation was enough for him to really get going. Wouldn't that  be interesting?

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

Do you think Rey will succeed in establishing a superior/lasting/permanent 'New Jedi Order' after the original Jedi Order failed... after Luke's effort failed? If so, why do you think Rey will be able to do what those before her could not?

No, she won't. As I said, it might be the same desater over and over again. Endless loop.

Not endless. Perhaps the third time was the charm for Darth Sidious, that the complete failure of a third generation was enough for him to really get going. Wouldn't that  be interesting?

As even after 50 years in a galaxy of creatures reaching an age between 200 and 1000 years the republic and the Jedi and their 5000 years legacy seem to be completely forgotten, I guess repetition of history could be quite common.

Your opinion that "The sequel trilogy is 70% shite" is based on your assessment of it.

No. It is based on my experience watching it. It wasn't the case that I was well entertained by episode 9, then afterwards did an analysis and came to the conclusion, that it was bad. 

funnily enough after i wrote the comment about Rey being gay i remembered about the guy in TROS, which tells you everything you need to know about that movie

(and i actually think it was about the only few things intended by JJ Abrams in the first movie, but the entire story is AAAAAAAASSSSSSS so)

39 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

No, she won't. As I said, it might be the same desater over and over again. Endless loop.

So, do you think the main story of Star Wars will be endless?  Do you think this was/is Lucasfilm deliberate creative decision?  Could some event or action possibly break the loop?

As even after 50 years in a galaxy of creatures reaching an age between 200 and 1000 years the republic and the Jedi and their 5000 years legacy seem to be completely forgotten, I guess repetition of history could be quite common.

Not forgotten by everyone. In canon, the Empire used propaganda in an attempt to rewrite history and discredit the Jedi. It was made clear to the masses that the Jedi did not  have the galaxy's best interests in mind and ultimately betrayed those who they claimed to serve... that it was the Jedi who attempted to take over the galaxy... that their so-called 'use of the Force' was just "simple tricks and nonsense".  Dissenters of this new, correct  point of view were punished or taken care of.

These kinds of things are happening in our world presently. Repetition of history - with subsequent generations having not learned from the mistakes of the past - is one of the main themes of Star Wars.

No. It is based on my experience watching it. It wasn't the case that I was well entertained by episode 9, then afterwards did an analysis and came to the conclusion, that it was bad. 

Your "experience" and "analysis" of the trilogy resulted in your interpretation. You then "came to the conclusion, that it was bad."

What I'm asking is, what is your interpretation  of the sequel trilogy? What do you think happened in it? What was the point of it all?

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

And to be honest, in that sense it doesn't matter if this was already planned that way in 1977 or not. If it was, I don't understand, why Lucas complained about his treatments for the sequels not being used by Disney if they did them like it was planned from the beginning.

I just happened to do some research on this. The "treatments" in question do not date from the 1970s - Rinzler's exhaustive research has dug up next to nothing about any "plans" for a sequel trilogy. One could make the ex silentio argument that, at the time, the idea of a sequel trilogy existed only as a publicity stunt.

Rather, the "treatments" date from 2012, and comprise of a short outline of Lucas that was extended into a treatment (strictly speaking, for Episode VII) by Michael Arndt, and was being worked on well into 2013, including roping-in the legacy cast, hiring Kasdan and Abrams and producing a considerable amount of concept art - all done with Lucas still onboard.

And yes, Lucas has special pleading in saying his story was rejected: it wasn't. At least, not entirely: the basic outline of a young girl from a backwaters planet and her sidekick setting on a quest to find a reclusive Luke Skywalker all while being menaced by a "Jedi Killer" was all Lucas' idea. Nevertheless, Lucas felt enough of his ideas were discarded (with Rey's sidekick turning into a deserting Stormtrooper, Starkiller Base being added and Kylo being temporarily rejected as being Han's son) for him to decide to part ways with the filmmakers.

Any stories by Lucas about what he would have done with the sequel trilogy date from after The Last Jedi came out, and should be treated with the appropriate degree of conjecture: there's no evidence his alledged stories about the Whills or the criminal underworld of the New republic were what was being worked out in 2013: the latter in particular seems to derive from an earlier idea for a live-action Star Wars show that he worked on after Revenge of the Sith.

The degree to which his outline prefigured events for Episode VIII and IX is also in contention: there's a reason almost everything we know of his treatment pertains to Episode VII. I'm sure the outline contained some leads as to where the story will go next, but it was in all likelihood concentrated on getting Episode VII off of the ground.

There's a brilliant breakdown of the situation here: https://medium.com/@Oozer3993/why-did-george-lucas-say-his-ideas-for-episode-vii-were-abandoned-93ebb2437b4c

@Chen G. - I didn't follow the link. But didn't Gary Kurtz give some interviews that outlined the original "plan" for the end of Return of the Jedi as well as the jumping off points for 7, 8, and 9 as they were seen in 1980-ish?

45 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

But didn't Gary Kurtz give some interviews that outlined the original "plan" for the end of Return of the Jedi as well as the jumping off points for 7, 8, and 9 as they were seen in 1980-ish?

Gary Kurtz isn't necessarily that much more of a reliable narrator than Lucas, if only because his association with Star Wars ended in 1980 and that any stories he shared about what the sequel trilogy would be like were given decades after the fact. His breakdown of the episodes makes no lick of sense, not least because according to him Luke's sister wouldn't be revealed until Episode VII. In fact, author Chris Taylor interviewed Kurtz and asked him how come no information about the original "plan for Return of the Jedi and the sequel trilogy came-out in the mammoth making-of books:

When I pointed this out to Kurtz, he backtracked and said he was referring to preliminary discussions about a third movie during the development of Empire.

Lucas did speak at one point of making nine films, including a sequel trilogy, but again there's nothing in his notes that prepared the ground for such a trilogy, and anything he ever said about it was decidedly vague, evasive and often contradictory. Even the earliest sketches of Return of the Jedi very much deliver a conclusion: there was never a version of the movie committed to paper that was in any way open-ended. I would suggest the very fact that he clearly started from scratch with his eventual, 2012 synopsis, is evidence enough that the sequel trilogy never existed as a story.

Mind you, between March 1978 and the release of the Empire Strikes Back, the official Lucasfilm line was that TWELVE Star Wars films would be produced, seemingly in a Bond-like anthology. Obviously, with Vader rewritten to be Luke's father in March or April 1978, the series turned into a saga, one that was obviously not feasible to sustain for twelve entries.

My own feeling - and I don't want to sound too conspiratorial, so take it with a pinch of salt - is rather than tell the world he was halving the size of the series from twelve to six, Lucas decided to say he was only downsiding it from twelve to nine, thereby softening the blow and planting the idea of a sequel trilogy purely as a publicity spin. I mean, take a look at this (clearly fallacious) quote of Lucas from 1980 - it reeks of being a publicity stunt:

The original screenplay [...was ] A little over 200 pages. [...] I said, 'I can't possibly shoot this movie; it's going to cost eighty million dollars, and take five years to make. I'll cut it in half and make two screenplays' So I did, and rewrote the second half. When I looked at that screenplay, it was still very long and complicated. [...] I cut it in half and both halves got to be as long as the original. [...] So I took the screenplay and divided it into three stories, and rewrote the first one. As I was writing, I came up with some ideas for a film about robots, with no humans in it. When I got to working on the Wookiee, I thought of a film just about Wookiees, nothing else. So, for a time, I had a couple of odd movies with just those characters. Then, I had the other films, which were essentially split into three parts each, two trilogies. When the smoke cleared, I said, 'This is really great. I'll do another trilogy that takes place after this.' I had three trilogies of nine films, and then another couple of odd films. Essentially, there were twelve films. [...] I've eliminated the odd movies, because they really don't have anything to do with the Star Wars saga.

Trying to make sense of Star Wars based only on what has been said by the filmmakers, publicly-available 'behind-the-scenes' outlines/treatments/documents, and/or a child-like interpretation of the films is a fruitless endeavor.

If you don't care what this forum thinks of you and don't care whether we believe you or not, then WTF has been the bloody POINT of all this? 

Showing off/ego-massage? Shits and giggles? A colossal waste of everyone's time?  

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I just happened to do some research on this. The "treatments" in question do not date from the 1970s - Rinzler's exhaustive research has dug up next to nothing about any "plans" for a sequel trilogy. One could make the ex silentio argument that, at the time, the idea of a sequel trilogy existed only as a publicity stunt.

Rather, the "treatments" date from 2012, and comprise of a short outline of Lucas that was extended into a treatment (strictly speaking, for Episode VII) by Michael Arndt, and was being worked on well into 2013, including roping-in the legacy cast, hiring Kasdan and Abrams and producing a considerable amount of concept art - all done with Lucas still onboard.

And yes, Lucas has special pleading in saying his story was rejected: it wasn't. At least, not entirely: the basic outline of a young girl from a backwaters planet and her sidekick setting on a quest to find a reclusive Luke Skywalker all while being menaced by a "Jedi Killer" was all Lucas' idea. Nevertheless, Lucas felt enough of his ideas were discarded (with Rey's sidekick turning into a deserting Stormtrooper, Starkiller Base being added and Kylo being temporarily rejected as being Han's son) for him to decide to part ways with the filmmakers.

Any stories by Lucas about what he would have done with the sequel trilogy date from after The Last Jedi came out, and should be treated with the appropriate degree of conjecture: there's no evidence his alledged stories about the Whills or the criminal underworld of the New republic were what was being worked out in 2013: the latter in particular seems to derive from an earlier idea for a live-action Star Wars show that he worked on after Revenge of the Sith.

The degree to which his outline prefigured events for Episode VIII and IX is also in contention: there's a reason almost everything we know of his treatment pertains to Episode VII. I'm sure the outline contained some leads as to where the story will go next, but it was in all likelihood concentrated on getting Episode VII off of the ground.

There's a brilliant breakdown of the situation here: https://medium.com/@Oozer3993/why-did-george-lucas-say-his-ideas-for-episode-vii-were-abandoned-93ebb2437b4c

There's also a great video on the subject too

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

If you don't care what this forum thinks of you and don't care whether we believe you or not, then WTF has been the bloody POINT of all this? 

Showing off/ego-massage? Shits and giggles? A colossal waste of everyone's time?  

First of all, I'm not responsible for how the members of this forum spend their time. We all came here to debate, discuss, or just read from the sidelines. I, for one, don't consider my time wasted.

Only Lucasfilm can get their audience to "believe" there's something else going on with Star Wars: a great many things that almost everyone missed. Based in the evidence I've seen, I believe I've figured it out.

My intention here was to put forth a case using the strongest, most-legitimate forms of evidence available. My reasoning held up to scrutiny, which was limited to doubt, naysaying, and counter-evidence that was not factual or canonical.

I'm fine with being labeled a conspiracy theorist. I 100% think that a conspiracy has been playing out with Star Wars from the very beginning.

We'll find out if I'm right. Maybe we won't have to wait as long as you think.

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

We'll find out if I'm right. Maybe we won't have to wait as long as you think.

We won't know if you're right or wrong if you don't tell us your predictions. 

That's why we want you to post what you think is going to happen. 

By not posting it, you're just trolling. 

You asked awhile ago what my prediction is. My prediction is that this movie is going to suck. 

What I've already said in this thread is proof enough that I knew what was going to happen. Some posts were more specific than others.

How can you predict your opinion of the upcoming movie if you can't predict what's going to happen in the movie?

My prediction is that self-proclaimed Jedi Master Rey Skywalker will be on a mission to restart the Jedi. She and some of her friends, including Finn, will go on a scavenger hunt... an unexpected, daring mission that will lead to places more exhilarating than she could have dreamed of.

I'll be surprised if it takes place 15 years after TROS, as was mentioned at SWC 2023. I think that was a good ol' Lucasfilm misdirect, as was their statement that the film isn't even done being written. Nonsense.

Why, not just any bus! Its The Magic School Bus!

3 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Doesn't every movie have a main character that "goes on a scavenger hunt"? Some prediction

"The characters go and do something"

*gasp*

Oh pfft, Nick, don't be absurd!

1 minute ago, greenturnedblue said:

Wild! Who could have predicted this?!

Well, ol' Mattris, for one!

Finally, this thread has found the right spirit! :drunk:

11 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’LL HAVE YOU ALL KNOW that this was a snappy response to “(you won’t know what hit you)” before the stealth edit!

Yeah, before I could post that, @greenturnedblue got in a response, so I edited it. He still hasn't backed up his claim that 'every movie has a main character that goes on a scavenger hunt'.

war: main character goes on a scavenger hunt killing enemies

romance: main character goes on a scavenger hunt trying to win the girl back

mystery: main character goes on a scavenger hunt trying to solve the puzzle

action: main character goes on a scavenger hunt trying to save the world/prevent bomb going off/foil evil plot

horror: main character goes on a scavenger hunt trying to escape haunted mansion/cemetery

drama: main character goes on a scavenger hunt trying to 'find oneself'

etc etc etc. this is just basic story telling tropes

GP Chat suggested me that Disney should do a "George Lucas Presents" tv show, featuring Star Wars episodes, from and out of context, fantasies from alt universe, missing links, coming directly from his laser brain.

Hmmm...

Nice try, @greenturnedblue. But you just inserted "scavenger hunt" into the basic story telling tropes.

Episodes IX was - and X will be - a literal scavenger hunt, with the protagonist searching for and finding clues, objects, people, and places in her quest to do (what she thinks is) the right thing.

Prove me wrong then, what are some movies that do not follow those plot progressions?

Sounds like X is going to be a repeat of IX (we need to find the sith dagger, which leads to the wayfinder, then someone to reset C3PO, then find Exegol) and we all know how that turned out 

"protagonist searching for and finding clues, objects, people, and places" is again extremely vague and a generic formula every movie follows

7 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Nice try, @greenturnedblue

Episodes IX was - and X will be - a literal scavenger hunt, with the protagonist searching for and finding clues, objects, people, and places in her quest to do (what she thinks is) the right thing.

Like any adventure movie ever?

24 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

etc etc etc. this is just basic story telling tropes

Because what it basically means is "someone sets out to do something." ROTFLMAO

If nobody's doing nothing, there is no story. So its more than a trope: its an imperative for telling a story.

Prove me wrong then, what are some movies that do not follow those plot progressions?

I didn't make that claim. I just pointed out that you inserted "scavenger hunt" into the story tropes as you attempted to make a point.

Sounds like X is going to be a repeat of IX (we need to find the sith dagger, which leads to the wayfinder, then someone to reset C3PO, then find Exegol) and we all know how that turned out

I think the film will have a similar urgency as IX, perhaps with less of a (perceived) threat.

How did  IX turn out?

"protagonist searching for and finding clues, objects, people, and places" is again extremely vague and a generic formula every movie follows

Ok then. What if I added that the gang was seeking to salvage or reactivate something... like, say, a scavenger would.

2 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

Like any adventure movie ever?

Sure. Though Star Wars has a bit of deeper meaning than "any adventure movie ever".

1 minute ago, Mattris said:

I just pointed out that you inserted "scavenger hunt" into the story tropes as you attempted to make a point.

Because movies always have some sort of 'scavenger hunt' whether literal, metaphorical or figurative. Am I wrong?

2 minutes ago, Mattris said:

What if I added that the gang was seeking to salvage or reactivate something... like, say, a scavenger would.

Also an extremely common 'something from the past is now needed' trope

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

What I've already said in this thread is proof enough that I knew what was going to happen. Some posts were more specific than others

Knew what was going to happen.

This is different from knowing what is going to happen in the next movie (I refuse to call it Episode X). 

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

How can you predict your opinion of the upcoming movie if you can't predict what's going to happen in the movie?

Because I've got all the evidence in canon source materials. 

My prediction:  The new movie will actually take place 15 years after TROS. Rey will already be training Jedi at her new academy. 

(A movie about her finding Jedi would be pretty boring and repetitive.)

Then a threat from outside the galaxy shows up with the ability to destroy planets (it is SW afterall) and Rey and her Jedi have to figure out a way to stop it. 

Chewbacca dies. 

And the movie sucks. 

Mattris, let's see who is closer to the actual plot. 

And I call bullshit that the movie is already filmed. Why you keep believing that is beyond me.