Star Wars: Andor (2022) - released episode spoilers allowed

Holko

I can definitely see that. I personally wouldn't mind seeing him as a mercenary who presents the first bit of cynicism to Luke about his Jedi plans that would later dominate him: "You really don't think this'll work, do you?" The two would have a weird, gruff kind of friendship, even as Luke's morale decays, descending more into Kyle's life state as a rough, jaded Force-using gun for hire. A kind of commiserating sympathy for a buddy on the other side of the tracks.

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I feel if they did ever make a movie or TV show about a beloved EU character, fans would be even more angry than they are now because the characters wouldn't be exactly as they were in the EU.

Valid concern. I think fans would find something to complain about no matter what.

Probably why they focus more on new characters. Safer that way.

• 1 month later...

I just hope they give the job to a more "Star Warsy" classical-oriented composer, instead of a more modern composer like that Ludwig guy for The Mandalorian. When it comes to TV shows, like 50% of my interest is in the score; if I don't like the score, then I have a harder time engaging with the show.

21 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I just hope they give the job to a more "Star Warsy" classical-oriented composer, instead of a more modern composer like that Ludwig guy for The Mandalorian. When it comes to TV shows, like 50% of my interest is in the score; if I don't like the score, then I have a harder time engaging with the show.

I can't remember, what Ludwig Goransson have you listened to? 

Also, with all the talk of Star Wars' score being a throwback to the "Golden Age of Hollywood", it was also very much a score of the 70's, modern in its time. 

39 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I can't remember, what Ludwig Goransson have you listened to? 

Also, with all the talk of Star Wars' score being a throwback to the "Golden Age of Hollywood", it was also very much a score of the 70's, modern in its time.  

It was modern in it's time, and it should stay how it was. I just don't want to hear electronic noises and cheap percussion loops, without any trace of discernable melody. 

Honestly I haven't really heard much of Ludwig's music, I'm just judging him based on what he's worked on, which probably isn't the best thing to do. I'll looks forward to seeing what he has to offer when the series comes out, but my hopes are not very high.

7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

It was modern in it's time, and it should stay how it was. I just don't want to hear electronic noises and cheap percussion loops, without any trace of discernable melody. 

Honestly I haven't really heard much of Ludwig's music, I'm just judging him based on what he's worked on, which probably isn't the best thing to do. I'll looks forward to seeing what he has to offer when the series comes out, but my hopes are not very high.

Oh, that kind of "modern". 

What do you think about this track? This is for a boxing movie, mind!

I suppose that giving Goeransson a safe shot at creating some "Star Wars" content will be beneficial to us, film music fans. He seems to be ambitious.

But this is second rate thinking.

First rate would be:

Powell supposedly really likes Haab. Have them cooperate!

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh, that kind of "modern". 

What do you think about this track? This is for a boxing movie, mind!

Surprisingly, that wasn't bad. I just assumed the Creed movies would have that more generic "Marvel-ly" sound. Now I'm kind of curious how his version of Star Wars would sound.

On 11/9/2018 at 4:50 AM, John said:

They have an entire galaxy to explore and they are already going back to the well with an entirely forgettable character from a movie full of them. Let’s follow TLJ’s lead and move the franchise forward, away from the past.

I would go to the deep past to before the invention of hyperspace travel.

• 9 months later...

Is anyone else a little tired of Star Wars media focusing on the Empire era? Sometimes I get the impression that, other than the saga movies, almost everything Lucasfilm had focused on since they were bought by Disney is set during that time. 

MOVIES

-Rogue One

-Solo

TV SHOWS

-Rebels

-Obi-Wan series

-Cassian Andor series

GAMES

-Jedi Fallen Order

-Battlefront and Battlefront 2

Also, several books and comics. 

Sure, the First Order era might be off limits by now (although they're starting to cover more the post-ROTJ era, with The Mandalorian).

But what I would really like is a movie series or a TV show centered on the age of the Old Republic, with the Jedi on their prime, fighting dangerous and powerful Sith across the galaxy and discovering the secrets of the Force. No known characters, except for maybe Yoda.

This mystic side of Star Wars always fascinated me, and with every Star Wars media being set when most Jedi were already dead, there's not that much space (lol) to explore that.

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Is anyone else a little tired of Star Wars media focusing on the Empire era? Sometimes I get the impression that, other than the saga movies, almost everything Lucasfilm had focused on since they were bought by Disney is set during that time.

It’s because lightning struck twice, in 1977 and 1980, and that’s the only reason why they are still making star wars today. Well, it’s the main reason. They are not going to make Star Wars movies that don’t have more than one degree of separation from the originals. Unless/until lightning to strikes again.

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

The Old Republic films/shows are coming @Edmilson according to Kathleen Kennedy. I think they're just getting the latest material out of the way before launching into pre-prequels territory.  

Well, she didn't explicitly say that. She just basically hinted that she's like to look into that era. Still though, it means something could come of it in the future.

• 2 months later...

The headline is idiotic to anyone who watched Rogue One, but anyway...

CASSIAN ANDOR Casting Breakdowns Point To The Disney+ Series Being An Origin Story

The Star Wars Galaxy will expand in a big way thanks to Disney+, and a casting breakdown for Cassian Andor may confirm recent rumours that the show will delve into the title character's origin story...

Cassian Andor died at the end of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story so his Disney+ series is obviously going to have to take place before the events of that movie. Now, some casting descriptions for the show may point to us getting to follow the Rebel's story right from childhood. 

These reveal that Lucasfilm are looking to cast "Mundo" and "Cinta," two children whose identities are more than likely being concealed with codenames. The former, however, is going to appear as both a nine-year old and a thirteen-year old, and it definitely sounds like a young Cassian. 

• Mundo is a thirteen-year old, Hispanic male. The young teen has a head full of brown hair and big, passionate eyes. Needs to have a wide range from still calm to uncontrolled anger.
  • Mundo is a nine-year old, Hispanic male. A wild and unruly kid with a head full of brown hair and big, passionate eyes. Also needs to have a wide range from still calm to uncontrolled anger.
  • Cinta is 5-7 year old Hispanic female. Cinta has a head full of brown hair and big eyes. A wild and unruly kid who, what do you know, needs to have a wide range from still calm to uncontrolled anger.

It makes sense for Cassian Andor to delve into the character's youth because we'll likely get to see what led to him deciding to become a Rebel and fight back against the Galactic Empire. Key moments like him meeting K-2SO and possibly learning about Jyn Erso's existence are also highly likely, especially as the show will serve as a prequel to what we saw in Rogue One back in 2016. 

Shooting is expected to begin this June for a premiere on Disney+ sometime in 2021.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/star_wars/cassian_andor/cassian-andor-casting-breakdowns-point-to-the-disney-series-being-an-origin-story-a172463

Mundo will probably be Cassian, while Cinta will be his childhood friend. They'll fall in love as kids, but she'll be killed by the Empire, setting Cassian on a dark path of revenge that will change the fate of the Rebellion, etc etc... 💤💤💤

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

Sounds captivating. One boring, cardboard cutout learns about another boring cardboard cutout. Honestly, these characters had the depth of a toddler pool in the film (which rests squarely at the feet of Gareth Edwards, a director who can create very pretty images but doesn't extract performances from his talent).

If they really had to go into the catalog and create a series off an existing character, surely there were more interesting, underutilized options?

This reminds me a little of WB's obsession in greenlighting countless spin offs based on Suicide Squad...

12 hours ago, Arpy said:

I can see Giacchino scoring this. 

Nah, he is too busy and famous these days to dedicate himself with a TV show. On the other hand, his son is initiating (with the help of daddy) on the film music career, so I can see some scenario on which Giacchino write some themes and lets Mick do the rest of the underscore.

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I don't think Williams cares about the tv series and games. Do you think he chose Goransson?

He cares if they use his themes I think. If it's a rogue one prequel, and use similar music style...it should have rebel fanfare, imperial march, the force theme...

8 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

.it should have rebel fanfare, imperial march, the force theme...

Well, for the rebel fanfare, I think they can use the Hope theme from the R1 score, specifically this variation:

I can't see the show using any Jedi, Sith or Force-wielding characters, I imagine it will focus on Cassian's upbringing on the darkest, crime-ridden corners of the galaxy, learning survivalist and fighting skills to fight the Empire, while becoming a more ruthless soldier. So yeah, no Force theme.

That leaves only the Imperial March for one scene or another featuring the Empire, but still, there's always the Krennic/Imperial theme from R1.

Anyway, since the series is going to be related to Rogue One, I can imagine they will use as many elements from that movie as possible, including the score, much to the despair of Giacchino's haters.

For what it's worth, there's already a canon telling of Cassian's and K2's first meeting.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rogue_One_-_Cassian_%26_K-2SO_Special_1

Although with Mando they've abutted on preestablished canon a little bit.  Things like Mando being unable to remove his helmet or he'd never be able to put it back on - while we see dozens of Mandalorians doffing their caps in The Clone Wars and Rebels.

• 1 month later...

Diego Luna Says His 'Star Wars: Rogue One' Prequel Series Will Shoot This Year (Exclusive)

Disney+'s next Star Wars series is still in the pipeline... but getting closer to launch. 

Over a year after it was announced that Diego Luna will be reprising his role of Cassian Andor in a Rogue One prequel series, the actor says he's gearing up to start filming this year.   

"Yes, we are doing it. We are doing it this year," he told ET while promoting season two of his Netflix series, Narcos: Mexico. "It's happening, and I'm getting ready for it." 

Luna said he knows "very little" about what's in store, but has read some scripts. "I'm really excited," he shared.

"I can't wait," Luna said. "It is really cool to tell a story where you already know the ending." 

"It is a different approach because of the beauty and it's how things happen. It's not just what happens. It's not the typical way of approaching a story. It's about how things happen, which in fact, is the same that happened in Rogue One," he continued. "You know the ending, but you don't know how it happened, and we have that challenge in front of us again, which is exciting."

The Rogue One series was originally supposed to start shooting last year, starring Luna as Cassian and Alan Tudyk as droid K-2SO. The show will follow Cassian's adventures during the formative years of the Rebellion, before the events of Rogue One. 

Disney+'s other Star Wars projects include The Mandalorian, which will debut its second season in October, and season seven of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan Kenobi series, meanwhile, has pushed production to 2021 and is reworking scripts.   

https://www.etonline.com/diego-luna-says-his-star-wars-rogue-one-prequel-series-will-shoot-this-year-exclusive-141385

• 2 months later...