SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, pre-announces actually:     COMING SOON LIMITED EDITION (3-CD SET)

Hey I just received My Superman set!   Wait... why the cover art is different?  

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times but what music does disc 3 of the LLL contain that isn't already on discs 1 and 2? Is it just another case of an alternate mix but repeated music?

And yes, I'm aware of the dialogue in Can You Read My Mind :lol: But I'm otherwise unfamiliar with this score and still haven't had a chance to listen to the LLL (except disc 3).

I think absolutely nothing, just in a different configuration. But it's the first time the proper double LP program was released on CD in the US. And it's a damn good presentation for once!

I've just driven home from work with the third CD playing, and just been amazed all over again at what a great score, performance and OST album this was (is). Williams is at (or certainly very near) his absolute peak, he's worked with the LSO the year before and you can tell he's pushing them harder and they're enjoying keeping up. The brass section are absolutely on fire and the strings are great too, though possibly a little too much vibrato on the violins at times. The OST album is brilliantly sequenced - I like albums that generally follow the film order - with the concert suites being placed nicely as palate-cleansers.

The sound quality on this latest (hopefully definitive) release is noticeably excellent too, even in the car.

Mark

On 9/18/2020 at 3:21 PM, Jay said:

One final note is that there is some piano heard in the Planet Krypton OST track that isn't otherwise in the Rhino, FSM, or LLL main program, so including the OST program in this set was a great way to include that little bit that Williams apparently liked enough to put on the LP (the only thing that differed from the film mix on the entire LP)

I didn't realize that... I double checked your spreadsheet and didn't see timestamps for the part with the extra piano. Are you able to share those?

I don't remember where it is

The best way to find a difference between 2 versions of a cue when it isn't obvious from looking at each in an audio editor, BTW, is to put headphones on and play one version in the left ear only and the other version in the right ear only.  

The OST track (LLL CD3, T2) has rather atonal piano flourishes underlying the high synth parts from 2:09-3:09. I've just listened to it, closely followed by CD1, T2 and the latter part of the same segment, also starting at 2:09, has less piano later on. I think I prefer the OST in this instance.

Talking (obliquely) of Krypton, I'd also like to shout out the masterful way Williams puts the Krypton theme into the minor at the beginning of The Fortress of Solitude. It's actually just a change of one note (out of eight) by a mere semitone, but it completely changes the feel of the motif: D-G-C-G-C-D-Eb-C. Later in the cue, when the Fortress is built, this makes the usual major key version of the theme sound even more triumphant: D-G-C-G-C-D-E-C. All from just changing a single note. What a craftsman.

Mark

Oh, and another thing I wanted to ask: is there a list of musicians who played on Superman (and Williams’s other LSO recordings)? I seem to recall seeing one for Empire back in the very early days when the phrase ‘information superhighway’ didn’t sound ridiculous. Anyone got one?

I like reading the lists in recent releases, especially spotting the same names on different scores, not to mention Williams’s brother(?s).

Mark

What? I'm not QuartalHarmony.

Why isn't Bruce banned now again?

On 9/20/2020 at 4:42 AM, Amer said:

Fast forward to the future, and as plans to issue the standalone set were set in motion and it was going to be a high resolution transfer from the same sources that was used for the FSM set.But then a Miracle happened and the original recording session were discovered. The rest is history.... 

A miracle? Are you saying Mike is Jesus reincarnated?

On 10/1/2020 at 11:14 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

A miracle? Are you saying Mike is Jesus reincarnated?

No. Laurent Bouzreau holds that title.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:14 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Why isn't Bruce banned now aga

Because, there is a rule;

A person can only be banned from ONE film score site per decade.