The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

21 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I don't agree with everything, but here Scott Mendelson from Forbes explains why TROS is an objectively bad and woefully misguided movie:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/01/03/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-justice-league-avengers-endgame-harry-potter-box-office-disappointment/#5dbd8b1e261c

Is that the guy who said you have to be a sexist to dislike TLJ?

Interesting (and at the same time, depressing).

The Sollowy lady was going to be Dark Side (instead of an Imperial Officer or an Stormtrooper leader a la Phasma) and...

But I wonder who this famous director might be...

I guess I forget what happened in The Last Jedi.  I know that the saber Obi-Wan gives Luke in ANH is the one Anakin had in the prequels, and he loses it at Bespin at the end of TESB, and makes himself a new green one for ROTJ.

And then Maz ends up getting the original Anakin/Luke/Bespin one and putting it in a treasure chest, which Rey finds and then her and Finn use it in TFA, and she brings it to Luke at the end.  But then after she holds it out to Luke and he tosses it away behind him, what happens to it?  And what happens to his green ROTJ one?  I guess I'm asking, what saber does she start out TROS with?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

But then after she holds it out to Luke and he tosses it away behind him, what happens to it?  And what happens to his green ROTJ one?  I guess I'm asking, what saber does she start out TROS with?

If I remember correctly, Rey gets the blue Anakin saber back and uses it on the battle against the Praetorian guards on Snoke's ship. After that, she and Kylo dispute the saber, which apparently ends up being destroyed just as Holdo destroys the Supremacy.

But I guess she somehow found it (again) and managed to rebuild it, since she uses on TROS until Luke gives to her Leia's lightsaber.

As for the green lightsaber, I'm pretty sure we see Luke using it on TLJ's flashbacks as he considers murdering Kylo, as well as on TROS flashbacks, when he is teaching the Jedi way to Leia. I guess that, after his actions and Ben turning to the dark side, he got rid of the green saber, because it brought him painful memories. Remember that by the beginning of TLJ he is trying to abandon the Jedi.

20 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Is that the guy who said you have to be a sexist to dislike TLJ?

Scott indeed considers TLJ to be the best SW movie, but he is far more reasonable than the mob-like Twitter woke crowd to say something like this. I don't remember he saying that, and I don't think he did it either, at least not on his columns.

Edit: Edmilson explained it better.

So I guess with this new Force healing power and "life transfer" shown in TROS, I guess Anakin could actually have learned how to stop people from dying from the Jedi.  Palpatine lied!

16 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I guess Anakin could actually have learned how to stop people from dying from the Jedi.

If they even knew about it. By then they were very content and inactive, following their old books to the T - who's to say this kind of healing wasn't discouraged back 1000 years ago because they saw it as coming from a place of deep strong attachment and a fear of losing someone, which were discouraged in the formal Order, and by the movies' time it's a forgotten lost art?

I'm not a fan of the ultimate conclusion. in Luke's First Lesson, Rey feels, discovers and voices the principles of universal balance, so it's not just Luke's "Time for the Jedi to end" talking - but we yet again end up with a single powerful known Jedi and that's it. If there was some way to keep Ben around, not necessarily together with Rey but them mutually acknowledging and semi-respecting the other's diferent ways, going around the Galaxy doing different missions or research, Force Skyping from time to time to keep their extremities and mental health in check... two of them, a dyad, a balance.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I guess I forget what happened in The Last Jedi.  I know that the saber Obi-Wan gives Luke in ANH is the one Anakin had in the prequels, and he loses it at Bespin at the end of TESB, and makes himself a new green one for ROTJ.

And then Maz ends up getting the original Anakin/Luke/Bespin one and putting it in a treasure chest, which Rey finds and then her and Finn use it in TFA, and she brings it to Luke at the end.  But then after she holds it out to Luke and he tosses it away behind him, what happens to it?  And what happens to his green ROTJ one?  I guess I'm asking, what saber does she start out TROS with?

Rey retrieves anakins saber from the cliff, and uses it the whole film. It breaks in the confrontation with kylo ren and retrieves the two pieces. Tros saber is a repaired anakin saber. Luke's green saber must have been destroyed when kylo ren destroyed the jedi house over Luke before in the flashback. 

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Or another trilogy!

Palpatine's faithful, after years if lying in wait try and extract revenge of Rey Skywalker and her children, Luke and Ben!

They could have joined Rowling write it! The names of Rey's children would be Luke Anakin, Obi-Wan Ben and Leia Rose.

For those keeping track, TROS finished its third weekend with $450m on US and $919m worldwide. By this very same point, TLJ had $517m on US and $1.040 billions worldwide. Jesus...

If it plays like TLJ from this point forward, it will end its career with $541m on US (behind Endgame and 2019 Lion King) and about $1.18b (behind Endgame, Lion King and Frozen II, as well as the two other Episodes on the Sequel Trilogy). 

13 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Ben skywalker in the old EU made sense ..Ben Solo barely does as Leia or Han did not really had much interaction with him....

It's like there should be a prequel trilogy to the sequel trilogy explaining how all this shit happened. Instead, things are explained in vague flashbacks and dialogue. Lucas never used flashbacks.

8 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

There was no backlash to TLJ! Only a few misogynists on Men's Rights forums!

It's so widespread that it's all over the web. Every popular social media platform is filled with the same vitriol. I encounter it under every Star Wars post, and posts with nothing to do with the franchise.

21 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Rey retrieves anakins saber from the cliff, and uses it the whole film. It breaks in the confrontation with kylo ren and retrieves the two pieces. Tros saber is a repaired anakin saber. Luke's green saber must have been destroyed when kylo ren destroyed the jedi house over Luke before in the flashback. 

Doesn't Rey use Leia's old saber in TROS? We see from some flashback that she had one when she was training with Luke. But I guess somehow Ben gets a blue one too towards the end of the film... so I guess I really don't remember.

It's pretty easy:

Rey's lightsaber until she almost kills Kylo on Kef Bis = Anakin's blue lightsaber, which then was used by Luke until his first confrontation with Vader on Bespin.

Rey's lightsaber AFTER she meets Luke's ghost on Ahch-To = Leia's lightsaber, built for her when she started learning the Jedi way with her brother.

Kylo's blue lightsaber = Anakin's and Luke's lightsaber (i.e., the saber used by his grandfather and uncle), given to him by Rey after he tosses his red Sith saber on the water.

Of course, this doesn't excuse the poor writing, which made Anakin's saber incredibly resilient, survive falling from tremendous heights on Bespin and then torn apart by Rey and Kylo on the Supremacy during TLJ.

It should have been Luke's greenf saber from the beginning and that's it. But no they wanted to use the anakin one. Obi wan's would have been more feasible to have been found than anakins, really (but once again it just a salvage of old EU...). And you have a mix there..same hilt as lukes green but with a blue blade....

Obi-Wan's blew up on the Death Star so it seems like Luke/Anakin's would be more likely to be found. 

Then again...  I guess not everything is destroyed when a DS blows up. 😐

So we have:

• Anakin's blue one = used in prequels, ends up in Obi-Wan's hut, he gives it to Luke in ANH, Luke loses it at Bespin in TESB, Maz finds it between movies, Rey grabs it from Maz in TFA, it breaks in TLJ but Rey fixes it between movies, she fights Kylo with it during TROS, then teleports it to him to fight the Knights of Ren on Exegol, later picks it up off the ground to kill Palpatine combined with Leia's, later buries it on Tatooine
  • Vader's red one from ANH/TESB/ROTJ =  left behind on the Death Star II, presumably blown up?
  • Obi-Wan's blue one from ANH = left behind on the Death Star, presumably blown up?
  • Luke's green one from ROTJ = seen in TLJ flashbacks (Kylo's turn) and TROS flashbacks (training Leia), presumably destroyed or hidden between movies?
  • Leia's blue one from TROS training flashback =  Luke hid it in his hut between movies, Rey takes it and uses it on Exegol after she sends Anakin's blue one to Kylo, buries it on Tatooine withe Anakin's
  • Kylo's red one from TFA/TLJ/TROS = thrown into the Kef Bir ocean
  • Rey's yellow one = only seen once at the end of TROS

Is that it for OT/ST sabers?

Basically out of the 7 seen, 1 is active (Rey's yellow), 2 are buried on Tatooine (Anakin's blue and Leia's green), and 4 are presumably destroyed/gone (Obi-Wan's blue, Vader's red, Kylo's red, Luke's green)

If he can grab her necklace through space and she can send him a lightsaber through space, could they just teleport themselves through space?

In the old EU...Vader supposedly retrieved obiwans saber from the floor and kept it as a token. Like general grievous Vader kept the sabers of the jedi he killed. Anakin Solo found it and used it for some time...

Vader's saber felt to the death Star II core when Luke cut his hand. Maybe Palpatine grabbed it LOL.

Can they send a Star Destroyer through space? A planet?

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Luke's green one from ROTJ = seen in TLJ flashbacks (Kylo's turn) and TROS flashbacks (training Leia), presumably destroyed or hidden between movies?

This will probably be the basis of Rey's new trilogy. What happened to the green saber? Excalibur 2.0.

I don't think Luke kept the green saber like he did with Leia's. It brought him too many painful memories of when he tried to murder his own nephew, only to see his Jedi students slaughtered. He probably destroyed it, or just tossed it into the water, like he did with the blue one on that TLJ's infamous scene.

59 minutes ago, Jay said:
  • Vader's red one from ANH/TESB/ROTJ =  left behind on the Death Star II, presumably blown up?
  • Obi-Wan's blue one from ANH = left behind on the Death Star, presumably blown up?
  •  

For some reason, since Anakin's saber was blown up on TLJ and then repaired on TROS, I find a little hard to believe that Obi-Wan's and Vader's can't be rebuilt, lol. Maybe some novel/comic/whatever will reveal that Luke managed to find the remains of his father's and his mentor's sabers floating around the space on Yavin and Endor?

I always thought this new trilogy would end with Rey rebuilding Luke's Jedi Academy. If she wants to do that (and Finn is already Force sensitive), there's a lot of sabers her students can use: Luke's, Leia's, Obi-Wan's (if she can find it and rebuild it) and maybe even Yoda's (which is probably with him on his shack on Dagobah).

"Split in half, probably needs a new Kyber crystal but taken and can be joined together again" is a little different than "been left in a corridor or in the trash on a moonsized battlestation when it freaking exploded completely".

Split in half, not obliterated in a flash. Note how the majority of human beings and ships also survived the split.

The saber lore is mind boggling.

How do you make a saber?

And in this film - how did Rey repair and saber and build an entirely new one?

If it is so easy to make sabers, why the fuck is not everyone making and using sabers? Seems like the best weapon for close combat in the galaxy. I don't think you need to be force sensitive to use the saber do you? Seems like it is just a switch.

You need to find a Kyber crystal that calls to you and construct it delicately using the Force. It was one of the major steps in becoming a Knight from Padawan.

Yes, when constructed, it's just a switch, we saw Han use Luke's to cut the Tauntaun. The Galaxy does have thousands lying around after Order 66 I guess, but Palpatine'd possibly want to collect them and dispose of them to erase the Jedi - or they're simply completely bloody useless when you have guns against you but you don't have the Force to guide you on how to deflect bolts.

I suppose somewhwere down the line we'll get some comic explaining how she found and repaired Anakin's saber in amidst the wreckage of the Supremacy, and how she built the yellow saber.

Do we know how much time it passed between the end of TLJ and the beginning of TROS? Or the time between the celebration scene and her return to Tattooeine on the epilogue?

Here's some more saber lore - it may have been similar in old/Legends stories, but this is current canon.  If you want a red lightsaber, you have to make the kyber crystal bleed!

I saw that in a Darth Vader comic last year and thought that was pretty dumb.

Probably, yeah, but then again the saber was split in (at least) two halves. And repairing a saber for it to be as fully functional as we saw on the beginning of TROS probably is more difficult than just glueing it with some super space glue or whatever.

Ah, I don't know, this movie just begins with little to no continuity to the end of TLJ. Abrams probably have thought "We'll just do the movie, and then down the line some moron will answer how exactly the Emperor returned, the saber being rebuilt and a lot of the other problems on some book or whatever".

Stars Wars is one universe where the more you explain something, the more ridiculous it gets. 

This puts in sharper relief the fact that despite Lucas' desire to explain the force, it is probably best to not explain it, because the explanation would be franchise-killing.

The rebuilt saber was no mystery to me - she and Kylo pulled it apart like a wishbone in TLJ, she picked it up and left, we see it in the Millennium Falcon at the end of the movie, and in the next movie it's back and clearly fixed.  She fixed the lightsaber in the intervening time.  A story about it would have been as dreadfully boring as the scenes of Luke building his green saber in Shadows of the Empire, or the deleted scene from ROTJ.

26 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Do we know how much time it passed between the end of TLJ and the beginning of TROS? Or the time between the celebration scene and her return to Tattooeine on the epilogue?

I was wondering that too, but I think the answer is that in both cases, it's deliberately ambiguous

The only real question would be how she rejoined the Kyber crystal or how she got one after Ilum, their home, got built into Starkiller Base and exploded onscreen. That might be the biggest waste of the ST (well, the new EU) , actually.

Oh yeah, true. And we know how that ended up ;). Still Ilum was the classic go-to Jedi place as we've seen in CW and Fallen Order and everything.