John Williams & Gustavo Dudamel conduct the LA Philharmonic at The Hollywood Bowl, July 7-9 2023

Jay

Hey guys, my name is Rafie and I am a HUGE John Williams fan and I have been following his music so much my whole life. My favorite scores from him are of course Star Wars, Jurassic Park, E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, Harry Potter (first three films he composed) and of course my all time favorite, the Indiana Jones franchise. 

If you guys could recommend me a great JW score other than the ones I have listed, I would greatly appreciate that. 

I'm so happy to be a part of this fan community to celebrate John Williams and his amazing music/scores. 

Great to meet you all, 

Rafie.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Welcome Rafie! Great to have new fans around here :)

Where to begin? Clearly you're well versed in his blockbuster scores, but in recent years I've found his scores for dramas even more rewarding.

For sweeping yet intimate, and overflowing with emotional themes and flute & piano solos, check out War Horse:

Memoirs of a Geisha is one of his best, dripping with atmosphere and Japanese instrumentation but with its roots in Williams' trademark sensibilities. Beautiful solos for cello and violin throughout.

Tintin is modern yet with a foot in the door of his classic blockbuster adventure scores (especially Indiana Jones)! Great themes and swashbuckling tracks throughout:

And of course there's Hook, one of his greatest scores. Incredible themes, some of the best action music of his career, and an all-time performance from the LA musicians. Amazing!

I love Hook's score, especially The Flight To Neverland. Such an amazing piece of music. And about the other scores you recommended me, I will definitely take a listen to them. Thanks so much @crumbs for recommending me these scores. 

15 minutes ago, JWilliamsFan1999 said:

I love Hook's score, especially The Flight To Neverland. Such an amazing piece of music. And about the other scores you recommended me, I will definitely take a listen to them. Thanks so much @crumbs for recommending me these scores. 

And some honorable mentions...

Lincoln (one of his great drama scores, very restrained)

AI Artificial Intelligence (a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Dark, visceral, emotional, it has everything):

The Lost World (I reckon this score is even better than Jurassic Park, if you enjoy his darker sound):

Far and Away goes under the radar, that's a fantastic lesser-known work. Sweeping themes and a "big" sound, it's a gem:

Just now, crumbs said:

And some honorable mentions...

Lincoln (one of his great drama scores, very restrained)

AI Artificial Intelligence (a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Dark, visceral, emotional, it has everything):

The Lost World (I reckon this score is even better than Jurassic Park, if you enjoy his darker sound):

@crumbs OMG His Jurassic Park scores are just masterpieces in their own right, And I love Lincoln, a great movie. I still haven't seen A.I. Artificial Intelligence before but I will definitely give it a watch and a listen to the score for sure. But Yes, I love his scores for Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park as well. 

@JWilliamsFan1999, his catalogue is very deep and however deep you dig in it, you'll only find gems.

I love his Henry Mancini-inspired How to Steal a Million:, one of his first bigger jobs for a bigger film with big names:

Images is a very experimental out there score for only strings and strange percussion, this is the most accessible piece:

The complete film recordings of Eiger Sanction are a recent discovery for most of us, and its diversity and emotional power blew our collective minds:

Black Sunday is a groovy terrorist thriller score recorded very shortly before the original STAR WARS:

The Fury is a grand over the top horror score, a throwback to 50s B flicks and Bernard Herrmann scores:

The River is a joyous rich take on 80s rural Americana:

Always is mostly a small-scale romantic score with some grand standout powerful moments:

Minority Report is a scifi crime thriller from one of his most beloved golden ages (1997-2005):

Recorded the whole thing yesterday, will have it uploaded as soon as it's in my drive. Not great video and DOTF is a little tainted with lightsaber sounds but the sound quality is pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Recorded the whole thing yesterday, will have it uploaded as soon as it's in my drive. Not great video and DOTF is a little tainted with lightsaber sounds but the sound quality is pretty good.

Will you share it to the forum? Or not? I would love to see it. 

10 minutes ago, Damien F said:

How many golden ages does he have? Possibly...

• 1975-1984
  • 1989-1993
  • 1997-2005

What age (or period) is Williams in now? 

I'm afraid to hear the answer. :crymore:

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:
1 hour ago, Darth Mulder said:

What age (or period) is Williams in now? 

I'm afraid to hear the answer. :crymore:

Platinum.

Silverback.

On 11/07/2023 at 6:55 AM, ocelot said:

This was the first time in which Williams to me showed his age, I mean he is 91. The cutest though was when he was introducing the three pieces from Star Wars. "First we will start with the Asteroid Field, and then on to Princess Leia's theme and finally the Throne Room and end credits to Star Wars... uuuummm, hope? Wait, I forgot the title to the movie, can someone please tell me the title to that movie?!" Everyone shouted A New Hope and he pointed at the crowd as if to say, yes that one! Then a hundred We Love You's came out to him <3

That's sweet, but I'm not sure I'd consider that a sign of his age if that's what you meant. I think the only few signs of his age are physical. Mentally, he's a sharp and eloquent as he ever was - at least in interiews and his music. And after all, the movie wasn't called A New Hope when he scored it almost 50 years ago.

15 hours ago, pete said:

That's sweet, but I'm not sure I'd consider that a sign of his age if that's what you meant. I think the only few signs of his age are physical. Mentally, he's a sharp and eloquent as he ever was - at least in interiews and his music. And after all, the movie wasn't called A New Hope when he scored it almost 50 years ago.

Yes I know, it was just Star Wars, and no, that was the cute part. The way he was walking and needed some help here and there. I go pretty much every year, I can't remember him needing any help last two years and when he was conducting the way he was breathing even felt different. Still, more power to him and if only all of us are doing half as much as him at that age :)