Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

My impressions of the album as a whole:

Before the release, I was concerned that Helena's theme in action mode would be unreleased but that definitely isn't the case. There are plenty of such performances of the theme.

However, I'm surprised by how little Indy's theme appears within the action music. Either his theme doesn't appear very often in the score, or a lot of action music featuring his theme remains unreleased (I suspect the latter).

Spyders rerecording isn't on the album and nether is that 1970s style cue. That is both unfortunate especially considering all the blank space on the album. 

I sadly suspect a truckload of holy grails when we all watch the film.

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I was about to say that this OST is perfect, but if it doesn't include the music from the end credits, then it means that the end credits music is a montage? :(

My memory is hazy - because I saw the film 6 weeks ago in terrible circumstances - but I think the prolog might be the end credits suite. I am sure Pawel or Thor can weigh is as the film is fresher in their minds.

2 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

my only true complaint so far is that there isn't a true end credits.

Yeah, I'd love an End Title suite containing Raiders March, Helena's Theme and all the new themes and motifs. 

Either JW didn't write a suite for the credits and they just tracked stuff from elsewhere (like in the MCU) or maybe he thought the other Indy albums already had enough of the March? I dunno, the reasoning behind this album is so weird.

Just now, TheUlyssesian said:

My memory is hazy - because I saw the film 6 weeks ago in terrible circumstances - but I think the prolog might be the end credits suite. I am sure Pawel or Thor can weigh is as the film is fresher in their minds.

but it doesn't end in the raiders march

26 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

the other Indy albums already had enough of the March? I dunno, the reasoning behind this album is so weird.

there's some lovely versions of the march on this score though, thank god.

5 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Do you happen to recall whether the Raiders March in “New York, 1969” is the start of the credits? Or does the film end with the march, and the credits version is separate? From reading your comments in the other thread, I gathered that the credits music consists of the latter portion of “New York, 1969,” followed by “Helena’s Theme,” and ending with “Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny”(?).

EDIT: Just saw your other comment. So I’m guessing I could be correct?^

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

yeah I said the best version of Raiders March of the 5 movies will be unreleased .You know JW is going to pull a Lando Arrives on this OST.

idk man check out the end of To Athens, its so good, 1:49

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

yeah I said the best version of Raiders March of the 5 movies will be unreleased .You know JW is going to pull a Lando Arrives on this OST.

Ugh, everytime someone mentions Lando Arrives I die a little inside.

2 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

idk man check out the end of To Athens, its so good, 1:49

yeah but I predict it's the second (or third) best version of the Raider's March in the movie

Just now, King Mark said:

yeah but I predict it's the second best version of the Raider's March in the movie

did KOTCS leave off any amazing versions of the Raiders March?  I really don't think it did.  Theres the nice statement at the end of the Diner Scene though

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I imagine the remaining material consists of:

a) awesome stuff that's not on the OST, some of it not even in the movie, that we wish it were more developed but it isn't

and

b) boring stuff that follows the temptrack closely and makes the score worse

somehow at the same time

If Williams puts on two versions of Helena's theme and still leaves over 10 minutes of space on a 'CD' then he clearly has a defined length in mind for the release and isn't thinking in any way about leaving off 'highlights'.

From what I understand, track 17 (New York 1969) is the final cue of the movie, seguing into the start of the end credits (Raiders March). The film then continues into track 2 (Helena's Theme) and then track 1 (Prologue) for the rest of the credits. 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

From what I understand, track 17 (New York 1969) is the final cue of the movie, seguing into the start of the end credits (Raiders March). The film then continues into track 2 (Helena's Theme) and then track 1 (Prologue) 

that makes sense but most of the Finale is probably missing

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone else also hear a bit of The Spark on The Airport?

There are similarities with the last Star Wars films, indeed, as if they were all composed by the same composer! That's crazy, I know!

Some (all?) of the track could be film cues that reappear in the end credits. There's lots left to figure out. 

if the raiders coda at the end of Germany, 1944 is the scene with Indy and Basil with the relief troops on the bridge, then what a wonderful way to score that scene!

8 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Do you happen to recall whether the Raiders March in “New York, 1969” is the start of the credits? Or does the film end with the march, and the credits version is separate? From reading your comments in the other thread, I gathered that the credits music consists of the latter portion of “New York, 1969,” followed by “Helena’s Theme,” and ending with “Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny”(?).

EDIT: Just saw your other comment. So I’m guessing I could be correct?^

I think you are right. 

Just got back from the gym, and I'm listening a second time.

All in all, a quite good score, much better than anything we hear in blockbusters today, and of course it's a feat in itself that this was written by a 91 years old man.

BUT...

I wish we had more themes that were apt for "Concert-like arrangements".

I mean in Temple of doom we had the love theme, Short Round's theme, the Slave children march and other set pieces.

AND...

I guess I will be stoned for this (:P), but it's an ost I could live without.

I mean I would prefer a non Star Wars, non-Indy score by Williams.

17 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I imagine the remaining material consists of:

a) awesome stuff that's not on the OST, some of it not even in the movie, that we wish it were more developed but it isn't

and

b) boring stuff that follows the temptrack closely and makes the score worse

somehow at the same time

Well, I'm used to it after 40 years or so of incomplete Williams OSTs, but this one sounds more incomplete than any of them except Return of the Jedi and Temple of Doom.

And I bet they made DOD OST this short to make it fit on the Vinyl release not the c.d. So were effectively back in 1983 space limitation. We should have guessed by the ads for the Vinyl record it would be shorter than 70 minutes.

I am under the impression that the beginning (first 2 minutes) of Prologue actually underscores the logos. I can see the Disney castle and Lucasfilm logo while that version of Helena's theme is playing. 

6 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

So Prologue isn't in the actual film at all?

I think 1:07 is definitely in the film. It scores the Nazis. I think its the Nazi theme. So I think Prolog is a film cue also used as an end credits piece. Or at least a mix.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I am under the impression that the beginning (first 2 minutes) of Prologue actually underscores the logos. I can see the Disney castle and Lucasfilm logo while that version of Helena's theme is playing. 

It's throwing me off. Maybe the Helena beginning is album only. I am not able to place it. Maybe it did score the logos.

It's short enough - 0:00 - 1:07 that I think the opening Helena bit could be a logo cue - used or unused.

Huh. I dunno why the snare is mixed so loud in the Raiders March, but I kinda like it. 

33 minutes ago, King Mark said:

And I bet they made DOD OST this short to make it fit on the Vinyl release not the c.d. So were effectively back in 1983 space limitation. We should have guessed by the ads for the Vinyl record it would be shorter than 70 minutes.

I don't think that's the cause. This is double vinyl, so you can easily fit 80 minutes of music without losing audio quality.

Hmm, I think ending the score album with the ASM Helena's Theme was a mistake. After the fun upbeat ending of the previous track, this does not act as a satisfying coda. It should have been programmed in the middle of things somewhere (or not be on the album at all) 

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hmm, I think ending the score album with the ASM Helena's Theme was a mistake. After the fun upbeat ending of the previous track, this does not act as a satisfying coda. It should have been programmed in the middle of things somewhere (or not be on the album at all) 

Celine Dion is sick, so she could not provide a song for the last track of the album. That's life!

- Mr. Williams, where do we put those new cookie boxes? Yes, we received 49 boxes today, in addition to the 42 from last week...

In a cruel twist of fate, I'm flying to Australia soon, where the film not only opens earlier than the US by days, but their days are way ahead of US days too. And yet, I don't land until Friday morning, when it's already playing in the US for Thursday night showings anyway. And I'll probably be too jet lagged to stay awake for it lol

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

In a cruel twist of fate, I'm about to fly to Australia where the film not only opens earlier than the US by days, but their days are way ahead of US days too. And yet, I don't land until Friday morning, when it's already in the US for Thursfay night showings anyway. And I'll probably be too jet lagged to stay awake for it lol

That is a long red line trip you are on! Have a safe voyage. 

Well, very unoriginal music. In each track you can briefly hear something that Williams composed years before, or just a year ago (Obi-Wan Theme). Kinda disappointing score. JW must have been proud of his creation called Helena's Theme. That's absolutely legit. It's the highlight of the soundtrack...but why is it heard in the first track, when we then hear it in the second in full version? 

21 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

I don't think that's the cause. This is double vinyl, so you can easily fit 80 minutes of music without losing audio quality.

And Justice league did a 6 vinyl set. Surely a Williams release should also be able to get that.