Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

7 hours ago, JTW said:

You know you've made it when Mr Chicken covers your work.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm unable to quickly find a post that specifies this, so I'm asking my question here. The number of tracks on the FYC album is 18, and I just validated the titles that seem identical to the OST.

Has anyone confirmed that there's nothing new on this FYC?

They uploaded Patricia Sullivan's 24bit, 96khz OST album master in WAV format as the FYC album.

Disney Records isn't even selling the OST album in high res on digital stores, so downloading the FYC tracks that Disney Pictures is streaming for free is the only way to get it in high res.

On 09/12/2023 at 5:51 PM, GerateWohl said:

Currently listening again to the album and really love the score. During "Auction at Hotel L'Atlantique" I remembered, that I always thought when listening to the Tintin score that this is like an Indiana Jones score without the Raiders March. So, the similarity to The Duel doesn't bother me and is somehow consequent. 

Tintin the score is many things - including possibly Williams's most pirate-y score (or at the very least 2nd most, *if* Hook takes the first place). But Tintin the film is first and foremost the best Indy film since Crusade (and I'm not a DoD hater, at least based on a single viewing).

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No. You just dislike it.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

No. You like it. That is something very different, at least in this case.

So it's neither good nor bad, you guys just like and dislike it. 

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I would never shoot at fans of the original trilogy!

And we would never harm those poor DoD shills. ;-)

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's super entertaining!

It's super @Jurassic Shark entertaining. But obviously not very @GerateWohl entertaining. 

There are two parts that I liked in the movie. The beginning 1944. And the ending in Syrakus until the end. 

Everything in between not so much. Why? I didn’t feel well entertained.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

It's super @Jurassic Shark entertaining. But obviously not very @GerateWohl entertaining. 

There are two parts that I liked in the movie. The beginning 1944. And the ending in Syrakus until the end. 

Everything in between not so much. Why? I didn’t feel well entertained.

You seem disillusioned, kind of like Indy. ;)

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You seem disillusioned, kind of like Indy.

After getting knocked out by a young woman, it happens to a man at 80. :)

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes. This is where I ended up after watching it.

I'm not sure about the causality there! 

:lol:

1 minute ago, JTW said:

After getting knocked out by a young woman, it happens to a man at 80. :)

Gerate is not that old - it's probably the mileage.

There is nothing wrong with having different tastes in film, you know.

@GerateWohland I like good films like Raiders, Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade and you like Dial of Destiny. It’s a win-win situation. ;)

8 minutes ago, JTW said:

There is nothing wrong in having different tastes in film, you know.

@GerateWohland I like good films like Raiders, Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade and you like Dial of Destiny. It’s a win-win situation. ;)

I like all four, of course. :)

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

The score has been shortlisted for Best Original Score at the Oscars!

The final 15 scores on the shortlist are:

• American Fiction
  • American Symphony
  • Barbie
  • The Boy and the Heron
  • The Color Purple
  • Elemental
  • The Holdovers
  • Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
  • Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Oppenheimer
  • Poor Things
  • Saltburn
  • Society of the Snow
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
  • The Zone of Interest

Honest question: given that we know that he will lose if nominated, would it be better if he was not nominated?  

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

The score has been shortlisted for Best Original Score at the Oscars!

The final 15 scores on the shortlist are:

• American Fiction
  • American Symphony
  • Barbie
  • The Boy and the Heron
  • The Color Purple
  • Elemental
  • The Holdovers
  • Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
  • Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Oppenheimer
  • Poor Things
  • Saltburn
  • Society of the Snow
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
  • The Zone of Interest

It was pretty much a fact. 91-year-old John Williams wrote another Indiana Jones score. A nomination is a must, but should we give the Oscar to him? Nah, he already has five of them, he’ll be grateful for even being nominated, let’s give it to a newcomer who wrote a one-note electronic gibberish to a popular film. 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

I get it, but watching his disappointment this past year was brutal.   

You watch the Oscars? :D

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I maintain that people were just imagining that.  He was probably just tired 

Unfortunately he is used to losing. He was nominated 53 times and “only” won 5 times. So he had to act “it’s OK, I understand” 48 times. 

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Honest question: given that we know that he will lose if nominated, would it be better if he was not nominated?  

If he wasn't nominated, he'd also lose. In fact, with a nomination, he's only very likely to use. Without one, he's guaranteed to.

10 hours ago, Tom said:

In my view yes. Better to recognise that he's not going to win instead of getting everyone's hopes slightly up and lots of JWFanners going to bed angry. Again.

If we're talking about originality and an attempt to do something a little bit different, I'd say JNH deserves it more for Hunger Games than Williams, even taking only the original material into account. I'd still ultimately give it to Powell though.

Why nominate someone 53 times for an Oscar and only give him the award 5 times? It's more of an insult by now than an honour. He should have received it at least 25 times, that would have made much more sense. In a way John Williams is the biggest loser in Oscar history. 

Just now, GerateWohl said:

We had that discussion last year. His ratio of about 10% wins is much better than for example Goldsmith's with one win, Elmer Bernstein with one win and Thomas Newman and Danny Elfman with no win at all.

Those maestros were/are insulted just as much as JW. And the list of those film composers who have never won any Oscars, goes on and on. 

If the purpose of an oscar for the last few decades has been to award the guitar strumming, droning or ostinating of the latest 'fashionable' composer who just happens to have landed an oscar darling film, is it an insult for Williams to never win?

You can't be insulted at the lack of an award if the awarding body is mainly interested in making political statements and increasing viewing figures for some overlong TV ceremony.

5 hours ago, JTW said:

Why nominate someone 53 times for an Oscar and only give him the award 5 times? It's more of an insult by now than an honour. He should have received it at least 25 times, that would have made much more sense. In a way John Williams is the biggest loser in Oscar history. 

Kinda what host Jimmy Kimmel was saying:

"Only Walt Disney has been nominated for more Oscars than John Williams. He's been nominated 53 times. He's only won five, which is honestly not that great."

But on the plus side:

"I also want to extend congratulations to Steven's longtime collaborator, the maestro John Williams… 91 years old last month and he's still scoring — if you know what I mean."

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2023 at 1:58 PM, Chen G. said:

There are a few outliers where somebody like Williams Ross was allowed to "adapt" a sizable (just how sizable is debatable) amount of music, like Chamber of Secrets.

It was a nice gesture of JW to allow Ross to compose the whole score.

On 03/07/2023 at 1:58 PM, Chen G. said:

For a while, it seems Dial of Destiny was going down the same route, but Mangold assures us that ended up not being the case.

Release the Ross score!