Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

17 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Germany, 1944 is basically On The Tank from TLC :eh:

Yeah, it seems like he basically took a “greatest hits” approach to scoring that scene, rather than actually try to write in that old style… Which is a tad disappointing if so, as I was really looking forward to it based on Mangold’s comments in that recent video interview. Then again, I just rewatched TLC last night and “On the Tank” is a banger, so I can’t entirely blame him. It will probably work great in the film itself, either way.

So great to finally have the studio version of Helena’s theme!

I notice the orchestration of the opening has been revised since the concerts to feature piano rather than woodwinds.

12 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I will say, if he reprises TLC music for the opening sequence yet doesn’t use the classic Nazi theme, it will be a massive missed opportunity!

The Raiders, rather than TLC, Nazi theme is present.

Ultra stingy 67 minutes-Check

Reprise of unneeded Helena's theme violin version-Check

1 hour+ of unreleased music-Check

"Classic" sounding cues from the opening sequence all unreleased-Check

This is worse than my "joke" prediction on page 1 of this thread. Seems we have our work cut out for us

Listening to the soundtrack now. I'm at track 7 (Tuk Tuk in Tangiers), and I have to say that I'm not a bit disappointed. I can hear the 'been there done that' stuff maybe mentioned or referenced by some of you, whether it is TLC or Tintin etc, but so what? Listen to any great composer and there is the signature sound that can and will always be recognised. Of course there is a huge difference between direct lifting or tracking of old stuff into a new movie, but I found the tintinesque bits, as an example, enjoyable rather than annoying or disappointing.

After an incomplete listen I'm somehow reminded more of the Star Wars prequel and Harry Potter scores than anything else (which is great, I should add). The truncated release isn't exactly a surprise, so I'll just cross my fingers and hope for a good quality FYC release and/or isolated sound track on the Blu-ray release.

Hey, at least we only have one instance of the Raiders March, and not a reprise of that too. It's not quite as bad as I'd feared.

Williams had an impossible task here to fulfil all expectations plus it's now clear Mangold wanted a lot of direct reprisals of material from the previous movies (I wasn't prepared for how literal the 'On the Tank' lift is).

Just listening to the samples and looking at the tracklist - it seems like any 60s/70sish music didn't make it to the soundtrack? Nothing from the horse chase and Apollo parade, not that I know if those scenes had music.

39 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I will say, if he reprises TLC music for the opening sequence yet doesn’t use the classic Nazi theme, it will be a massive missed opportunity!

indeed :(

Truly great music! The mix as well, crisp clear. Personally, I only don't like the timpani sound, much too close. This is the case in most recent film scores, though... Everything else I love, the Celeste in particular is indeed well done here! And the brass:lovethis:

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

At this point I think JW is just toying with us. Oh well, our greatest hope is for a FYC or, even better, an isolated score.

Or a deluxe edition coming later!

That's a big moment of emotion this morning.

The latest John Williams release always leaves us thinking that it could be the truly final score... :(

John Williams, a worthy heir to the greats Korngold, Steiner, and Newman, embodies the pinnacle of a glorious musical tradition. His genius perpetuates an unforgettable legacy, ready to write the final chapter with brilliance.

YouTube playlist for places where it's out:

Sounding good so far: the variations on Helena's theme seem to showcase it a bit better than just the concert versions, IMO.

The brass sound really, really good! I'd dare say the best sounding brass in all the post-prequel trilogy era. 

Also, as the album says Conducted by JW, this might indicate that a good chunk of the unreleased material was perhaps conducted by Ross.

8 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

"To Athens" is nothing but Williams magic. Nobody else working today could have given us something like that. That could be the only new track and I'd be a happy camper and be prepared to say the film more than justified existing if only to give us a track like that. Holy shit.

I assume it’s a map cue

Alright I'll post comments as I listen

1-Prologue :The haunting  new theme in the last 2 minutes is absolutely amazing and georgeous .I'm stuck on repeating it a few times before I move on

The Airport is far better than what JW tried to achieve with the finale of KotCS.

Also I think Helena's theme works far better in 'sprinkled' form than it does in concert form.

To Athens is indeed an excellent map cue (well, the second half is) although I'm going to gently push back on the comment above '(nobody else working today could have done it'). The idea that no other composer alive could write that is... well... silly.

9 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

To Athens is indeed an excellent map cue (well, the second half is) although I'm going to gently push back on the comment above '(nobody else working today could have done it'). The idea that no other composer alive could write that is... well... silly.

What are the chances that someone else could have written the exact same thing (same notes, rhythms, orchestrations) that Williams came up with?

Just now, Richard Penna said:

Also, Tuk Tuk is definitely better heard in full form than in a clip covered in dialogue and fx. It's basically a far more exciting extended treatment of Helena's theme.

I am also glad they didn´t shoehorn in the quotes from other films into the album recording.