John Powell's MIGRATION (2023)

Jay

• 4 weeks later...

Now it's on Film Music Reporter as well:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/06/18/john-powell-scoring-illumination-entertainments-migration/

My most antecipated score for the final months of the year alongside JNH's All the Light We Cannot See.

In what conceivable way is Call of the Wild not a 'big orchestral score'? It doesn't have as much action as HTTYD but the whole thing is brimming with thematic goodness.

Don't see what there is to have against scores recorded in the States. I think you're reading far too much into one photo of a session.

29 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

In what conceivable way is Call of the Wild not a 'big orchestral score'? It doesn't have as much action as HTTYD but the whole thing is brimming with thematic goodness.

Don't see what there is to have against scores recorded in the States. I think you're reading far too much into one photo of a session.

What I understand from @PrayodiBA's perspective is that the number of musicians was probably less on Call of the Wild. A lot of the tracks are more on the bare side with guitar solos for example. 

And the fact that a score is being recorded at Air Studios or Abbey Road usually means it's a big full orchestra. They wouldn't go there just to record a small ensemble. They want the big room sound of those stages.

58 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

^^

Yeah, this, what @Luka perfectly said 🙏

(English is not my first language 😄)

30 minutes ago, Luka said:

What I understand from @PrayodiBA's perspective is that the number of musicians was probably less on Call of the Wild. A lot of the tracks are more on the bare side with guitar solos for example. 

And the fact that a score is being recorded at Air Studios or Abbey Road usually means it's a big full orchestra. They wouldn't go there just to record a small ensemble. They want the big room sound of those stages.

----

I am hugely under the impression that the quality of orchestra player is better in London than in the US;

but my assumption is also not a nonsense, as I watched many composers interview of how they spoke highly of "the score being recorded in London; the brass player are great etc."

And yeah like Luka said, Hollywood composer wouldn't want to choose to record the music in London if not for the quality of the orchestra or the quality of the stages.

And Powell recording in London is indeed an indication of big orchestral score,

as judging from Powell's choice of recording location for his scores in the last decade:

Still > recorded in his house

Don't Worry Daring > recorded in New York, US

Call of the Wild > recorded at Newman Scoring Stage, US

HTTYD 3 > recorded in Abbey Road, UK

Solo > recorded in Abbey Road, UK

Ferdinand > recorded at Newman Scoring Stage, US

Pan > recorded in Air Studio, UK

HTTYD 2 > recorded in Abbey Road/Air Studio, UK

^^

And we know which are the "big orchestral score" 

Great to have definitive confirmation!

With Indy 5 dropping in the summer, this is surely the score I'm mostly looking forward to out of all the holiday movies

1 hour ago, PrayodiBA said:

^^

Yeah, this, what @Luka perfectly said 🙏

(English is not my first language 😄)

----

I am hugely under the impression that the quality of orchestra player is better in London than in the US;

but my assumption is also not a nonsense, as I watched many composers interview of how they spoke highly of "the score being recorded in London; the brass player are great etc."

And yeah like Luka said, Hollywood composer wouldn't want to choose to record the music in London if not for the quality of the orchestra or the quality of the stages.

And Powell recording in London is indeed an indication of big orchestral score,

as judging from Powell's choice of recording location for his scores in the last decade:

Still > recorded in his house

Don't Worry Daring > recorded in New York, US

Call of the Wild > recorded at Newman Scoring Stage, US

HTTYD 3 > recorded in Abbey Road, UK

Solo > recorded in Abbey Road, UK

Ferdinand > recorded at Newman Scoring Stage, US

Pan > recorded in Air Studio, UK

HTTYD 2 > recorded in Abbey Road/Air Studio, UK

^^

And we know which are the "big orchestral score" 

I think the quality of performance on a technical level is fairly comparable between LA and London. However, the one thing that a number of film composers comment upon is that, when they engage the London Symphony Orchestra, they get the benefit of a world class symphony orchestra who play together all the time in a wide variety of repertoire, so there's a unity of performance that a Hollywood orchestra can't quite match (notwithstanding that I'm sure many of the LA musicians play together on scores frequently). There are other considerations such as cost too of course! It's surprising, to some extent, that the LA Philharmonic aren't regularly engaged to perform film scores the same way as the LSO etc. It's not like that LA Phil is some huge tier of quality different to the LSO, although I suspect they have benefactors with deeper pockets so don't need the extra revenue as much, plus I'm guessing there might be some union thing too.

Still, yes, looking forward to JP's score!

It took 15 years but homie scoring another animated movie not connected to Blue Sky or Dreamworks. The movie's probably gonna be mid af but the score is gonna be fire.

Edit: Totally forgot about The Lorax. My mind went straight to Bolt. Lol

Excited about this, as I am with any new Powell project. I'm almost certain that it will be, at least, very good. He might have plateau-ed but we are in a period of peak Powell, I'm convinced of it. 

19 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I think it's rather funny that there are JWFans members younger than the site itself :lol:

Forget BCE - CE, the real year calendars ahould go by BJWF - AJWF or BJWFE - JWFE

• 4 weeks later...

That movie actually looks good!

Can't wait to hear the score. We know Powell can give us something great with flying scenes! haha

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Geez... I hope the whole score is not on that style.

Style? That's clearly a joke where he set every instrument in his DAW to quack noises 

4 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

HE’S BACK!!! 🥺😭 

I was hearing this right when I woke up in the morning, you can imagine what a speggtacular start this is to my day  

Sounds the kind of Powell score I've been dying to hear since Call of the Wild!

4 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

It will probably be used in this sequence, but of course I could be wrong, here I tried to match it:

That's very well done!

• 1 month later...

Another sneak peek of JP’s score in this new clip:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyopV9wSCnk/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I love the meditative quality of the melody and at the same time, it will definitely sound majestic in its epic arrangement. Can’t wait!

• 4 weeks later...