John Powell's MIGRATION (2023)

Jay

Alright so after my third complete listen, I must admit I do enjoy Powell being back to animation, but I really don't feel like it's one of his strongest work… I'm a little disappointed with each listen. Don't get me wrong, it's still Powell and therefore great music, but I just would consider it in his less good animation ones, like Bolt.

Hoping we will get more interesting stuff with his two scores for 2024!

It's far from HTTYD, but the themes are amazing and the whole thing is so colourful, wholesome and fun. It's like a JP score for Blue Sky from the 2000s and 2010s. Anyone who likes Ice Age 2-4, Robots, Rio, Horton Hears a Who etc. like myself will find a lot to enjoy here.

True, certainly this score can't be put into the same echelon as HTTYD.

But as a Powell fan, I'm very happy because this score; in theme, energy, or orchestration, is similar to Powell's scores before 2010, which is enough to prove that Powell has not changed and still has his mojo, something that can't be said anymore to big composers of his caliber such as HZ, JNH, or HGW, where they seem to be 'diminishing'

Not only is this score similar to old works, but it still has great themes to boot; that 'Migration/Freedom theme' though, it's so catchy and special! (Anyway, I can't wait to share the theme breakdown for this, as I got all the themes and motifs already mapped out)

Overall, Migration is a very strong 4-star score 👍 ( as per Filmtracks rating parameter)

2 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Thank you for this! Reading about Powell love reinvigorates my film score fanaticism that I thought had died off.

Haha thank you!

Well I knew way back then you were a staunch Powell fan 😄

2 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

(I actually like the one @Luka having 😄)

Haha, I just like the fact you can get a glimpse of a certain other composer, that I purposefully cropped out because I'm not such a fan hahah ;).

Also, THANK YOU for these theme breakdowns! It's so much fun and makes it easier indeed to appreciate the soundtracks! Did you ever think about making YouTube videos out of those? Haha 

On 31/12/2023 at 10:43 AM, Kasey Kockroach said:

Makes me happy that nearly any mention of the film (even from normal people who probably don’t listen to film scores otherwise) praises Powell.

One of those was just me though

It's refreshing when the music gets noticed in a film but I don't really empathise with the idea of being pleased when my favourite composers are publicly praised - it's not something I've found I need. Certainly the obsession with maintaining Williams' positive public image does my head in.

I still need to give this album more listens, but wanted to see the film first.

There's still no hints anywhere of a physical release, correct?

I read so many good things about this score here that I felt compelled to watch it in theaters.

Thankfully the movie was greater than I anticipated, and the score is trully a delight. It's great to have Powell back in animation as he was clearly having a blast. Got out of the movie with already with the theme stuck in my mind and bought the album right as I woke up.

One of the main themes though, reminded me of Vader Immortal.

I just noticed this is now streaming free on Amazon Prime in the US

Hopefully that'll spur me to watch it soon!

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2023 at 9:18 PM, Luka said:

Alright so after my third complete listen, I must admit I do enjoy Powell being back to animation, but I really don't feel like it's one of his strongest work… I'm a little disappointed with each listen. Don't get me wrong, it's still Powell and therefore great music, but I just would consider it in his less good animation ones, like Bolt.

Hoping we will get more interesting stuff with his two scores for 2024!

You Sir REALLY need to get hold of the Extened FYC of Bolt. I promise you it's not far from other Powell's 4-4.5 stars such as Mars Needs Moms, KFP2, Pan etc.

I agree  with you regarding Migration. It is OK, but a tier lower than the ones I listed above and others such as Ice Age 2 & 3, Horton.

I find his rating really odd.

Giving it 5 stars for the music heard in the film, but 4 for how it's heard on album.

Which makes no sense because the music is exactly the same both in film and on album

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I find his rating really odd.

Giving it 5 stars for the music heard in the film, but 4 for how it's heard on album.

Which makes no sense because the music is exactly the same both in film and on album

I have no vested interest in defending his reviews but there are plenty of scores that are very effective in the film but less interesting on disc so this doesn’t seem an especially controversial take to me.

52 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I have no vested interest in defending his reviews but there are plenty of scores that are very effective in the film but less interesting on disc so this doesn’t seem an especially controversial take to me.

I think he does it more due to missing music than that reasoning. I fully agree that many scores would get a lower album rating because they're in that genre where the score works great in the film but isn't much to listen to, but Clemmenson's reviewing history indicates to me that he doesn't like those sorts of scores to begin with.

I take issue more with him marking down albums that don't contain a dissertation on the score, or (the horror!) no packaging at all because they're digital releases. The interest of the music and its presentation comes light years ahead of some pretty photos and detailed, second by second score analysis, for me.

Ferdinand’s a five star score in my book, and top 5 Powell in general, so I’m just surprised and intrigued he liked this one while not thinking much of the former. But what the hey, different strokes for different blokes.

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I think he does it more due to missing music than that reasoning. I fully agree that many scores would get a lower album rating because they're in that genre where the score works great in the film but isn't much to listen to, but Clemmenson's reviewing history indicates to me that he doesn't like those sorts of scores to begin with.

That's all fair comment! Sounds like we basically and not with him lol. I'm taking my niece and nephew to see the film this week so will be able to decide for myself whether it's better in the film than on disc!

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I take issue more with him marking down albums that don't contain a dissertation on the score, or (the horror!) no packaging at all because they're digital releases. The interest of the music and its presentation comes light years ahead of some pretty photos and detailed, second by second score analysis, for me.

So every 90s Varese release is a nil points effort then! ;-) Agreed though... I can't say lack of lavish liner notes for most soundtracks is a significant negative for me.

Well yep, judging by those criteria, many Varese 90s would receive harsh judgement.

I don't even know what, if any liners came with my fave Varese score (Dante's Peak) because I never bought it! Not long after I discovered the score I found the OST isolated on the DVD (heaven knows why), then came across the boot. Their DE in 2021 was my first experience of it on a CD.

I haven't seen the film, but I did watch this clip on YouTube and ... wow, "Let's Fly" works so well in the film:

Powell's music gives the scene an almost balletic grace. Beautiful marriage of picture and score.

• 1 month later...