Terrible album covers

8 hours ago, JTW said:

I haven’t heard this one, so you’re obviously recommending it since you’re saying it’s your favorite Mancini score?

I’ve got to check it out.

Please do! The film is also a HUGE nostalgic favourite of mine, but the score lives its own life as Mancini's best effort, IMO. I was thrilled to interview the directors of the film a few years ago, Musker & Clements (ALADDIN, THE LITTLE MERMAID, HERCULES etc.), and nerd out over the film and score. They were also equally enthusiastic.

Just now, JTW said:

They were eaten.

Oh no! One border's been entirely devoured!

IMG_3516.jpeg

1 minute ago, Trope said:

ab67616d0000b273df70664bd58ef086b035c685.jpeg

Oh wow, that's bad.

24 minutes ago, Trope said:

Here's the great looking Spotify cover for The Hunt for Red October.

They like over-exposed the original cover to the point that the print number in the bottom right got warped.IMG_0768.jpeg

Must’ve been a bad day at the office for something idk what the hell happened there.

1 hour ago, Trope said:

Here's the great looking Spotify cover for The Hunt for Red October.

I always wondered if the physical release REALLY looked like that.

Only explanation I can think of is that they deliberately made it resemble a submarine sonar image.

But even that, I find hard to believe...

Looks like someone replaced all the pixels with a red value above a certain threshold with black pixels, leaving only the the antialiased outlines of red and white objects intact (but keeping the not-quite-black background not quite black, unlike all the newly blackened areas).

Given it's Spotify they must have some sort of automated process for receiving/processing/organising album art from labels.

And given how fucked up that cover obviously is, I'm guessing that automated process has failed. Not saying it's not a godawful cover but it's probably not one particular person's error.

I think that Alive cover (Intrada's one) is fine - I too am not a fan of putting those huge red borders on. See the original Wyatt Earp OST cover for another 'someone, somewhere thought this was a good idea' example.

12 hours ago, CatastrophicJones said:

I feel this needs to be here, even though it's incredibly recent. I'm sorry but honestly, what were they thinking??? The original album artwork was perfectly fine!

Some of the answer may lie in this report from FSM:

The booklet features no stills or key art from the film

Hence a suspicion that Varese weren't able to get clearances to use basic images/likenesses and had to get creative. I mean, what do you do if you're got the audio sorted but then you get the e-mail saying that you can't use any artwork or likenesses from the movie?

On 16/9/2023 at 7:00 PM, Edmilson said:

That's pretty shitty as well:

Alive Soundtrack

There are so many like this.  It’s the classic dimensional discrepancy between poster dimensions and square album art.   It yeah between the colors, alignment and teslxt over the man’s teeth making him look like he got a grill…:lol:

It’s been grandfathered because of vintage nostalgia but the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade cover is sucky for the same reason if we’re being honest. 

I don’t think so. It’s a classic, but clearly they didn’t have art that lent itself to square dimensions.  I don’t like that it doesn’t match the style of the previous OSTs.  (Sort of like the film itself I suppose)

I disagree too - it's not making the best use of the space. Instead of reworking the artwork to be its own thing, it's like the cover is a canvas for showcasing the movie poster. Now, the incorporation of the logo is well done, and I also like how the blurb and Williams credit are unobtrusive (I'm not a fan of covers that want to make a big deal out of who composed it) but I think the whitespace could be better used.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2024 at 6:34 PM, Andy said:

I don’t think so. It’s a classic, but clearly they didn’t have art that lent itself to square dimensions.  I don’t like that it doesn’t match the style of the previous OSTs.  (Sort of like the film itself I suppose)

And struzan made lots of art for that film that could have fit a square… 

10 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Leonard Slatkin’s Facebook account is posting covers from a series of 70s classical albums. I won’t post them all but a couple representative examples…

IMG_6372.jpeg

IMG_6364.jpeg

Nice free bit of promo for Volkswagen there, lol. Wonder is the 'bust' pun intentional on the second one? 

On 7/1/2024 at 11:44 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

It's a masterful use of negative space.

image.jpeg

This was said with tongue firmly in cheek, by the way...

16 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

IMG_6372.jpeg

IMG_6364.jpeg

You probably couldn't get away with this today. Everyone's lost their sense of humour.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

You probably couldn't get away with this today. Everyone's lost their sense of humour.

I mean I disagree but an acceptable compromise would be half the covers in the series to feature hot, half naked men on them. I’d be down for that. 

32 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I mean I disagree but an acceptable compromise would be half the covers in the series to feature hot, half naked men on them. I’d be down for that. 

Here comes one shirtless violinist, in an effort to balance things out...

image.jpeg

14 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Nice free bit of promo for Volkswagen there, lol. Wonder is the 'bust' pun intentional on the second one? 

Beethoven or bust!

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I’m sold. 

But Naïve Old Fart isn't.

But what if I include Vol. I...

image.jpeg

On 07/01/2024 at 5:44 PM, Mr. Hooper said:

It's a masterful use of negative space.

image.jpeg

I love that one.

It's so beautiful!

Another similarly styled awesome cover:

71h4cageENL._AC_SL1048_.jpg

8 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

But Naïve Old Fart isn't.

But what if I include Vol. I...

image.jpeg

Something about a violinist... oh yeah... didn't notice his instrument. As it were.

On 06/01/2024 at 1:46 AM, Thor said:

Having huge borders is never a good idea. I think my main troublemaker in this area is Mancini's THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE (as it happens, also my favourite score of his). Those huge, white borders make it look like someone just slapped the poster onto a white Paint backdrop and couldn't care less about cropping it to CD size.

MC0yNTIzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Yeah, this is similar to what Varese did for Goldsmith's Angie. I prefer this by far to the times when Varese *didn't* even bother to center similar images...

51UC-Bb9wpL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Ugh. Thank goodness my friend Brad Wills painstakingly made a square custom cover for that...

Yavar

On 06/01/2024 at 11:22 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

A new spin on smoking being bad for your health? 

Incidentally, is this the same Bruce Hornsby who used to have a Range and had a big 80s hit with 'The Way It Is'? 

It's the very same.

7 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

592x592bb.webp

This really makes me want to see the movie.